Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: FW: Bradley Coots
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I got this email from Scott, our Miami Dolphins representative, and I wanted to pass this on to you all. Brad is our "Coots" here on the forum. They are trying to raise $6660 for these special glasses to help him to see. If you read the below email, you will understand. Please consider helping Brad out.

Kerry Coots wrote:
Dear Mr. Stone,
I hope this email finds you well. I know you don’t know me, but you have met my husband, Bradley Coots, a couple of times as well as his guide dog Mike.

As you are aware, Brad suffers from an incurable retinal degenerative disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa, also known as RP. He was born with the disease which began affecting his vision at a young age and has continued to slowly deteriorate his peripheral vision. A few years ago he gave in to the fact that he needed to begin using a white cane, and a few months later was able to attend guide dog school where he was able to receive Mike.

Living with only about 8 degrees of central vision is no easy task, and facing the uncertainty of when or if the disease will leave him completely blind is quite a terrifying thought. Like everyone, Brad has bad days when faced with this idea, but through it all he remains strong. He never seeks pity, and many times will never even ask for help, always being determined to accomplish as many tasks as possible on his own.

Brad is dedicated to his family, his faith, his job, and his football (Go Phins!). I have seen him many times do literally anything he could physically or financially to help someone in need, never asking for anything in return.

Last week, Brad was afforded the opportunity to meet with a representative of eSight Eyewear to try on a pair of their eSight glasses. These glasses are an amazing gadget, allowing someone like Brad to see more of his everyday life. They gather the picture in front of the user and condense it into the user’s remaining field of vision, allowing them to see the bigger picture. There are other features for low vision users to help make everyday tasks easier to see, including reading computer screens, watching tv, reading menus, etc.

Normally when looking at a person, Brad’s vision would only allow him to see a very small portion of their face such as one eye and a portion of the nose. During the visit Brad put the glasses on and looked at me, and for the first time in many years was able to see my entire face. I cannot describe to you the emotions that I felt when the smile came across his face. It was really an amazing moment. I am including a link to my YouTube video of this moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7198r4iII

Brad and I have a 5 year old daughter, and he does as much as he can to be a “normal” dad for her. He is actively involved in as much as possible with her daily activities. I often catch him staring at her, studying as many details as he possibly can, trying to ingrain them in his mind in case the day comes that he can no longer see her. As happy as he was to see my face, I cannot imagine the joy he’d find if he were able to better see our child.

As expected with this sort of technology, the eSight glasses do not come cheap. The total cost to purchase a pair is $10,000. I am reaching out in hopes that the players or any other members of the Miami Dolphins organization might be willing to make donations to help us purchase eSight for Brad. Today we received a crowd funding offer from eSight to match every dollar we raise with 50 cents. This would reduce our cost to $6,660. We have to raise this money by the end of the year.

Brad would never ask for himself, and that’s why I am writing. I got your email address from when sent me his Web Weekend itinerary. I desperately want to give him the opportunity to see better with the remaining vision he has. Brad has been a lifelong supporter of the Miami Dolphins, and any help your organization could provide would be so appreciated.
If you would like to learn more about eSight, their website is https://www.esighteyewear.com

Thank you for your consideration and your time.
If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you,
Keri Coots

Post subject: Re: FW: Bradley Coots
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I didn't realize we had our own Xman here. I'm excited for Brad.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:43 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I'd be happy to help, which crowd funding site is being used?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:49 am 
Phinfever Admin
Phinfever Admin

Dave,
Thank you for posting this. It's been a very humbling experience. Here is the link to the gofundme page, I can't thank you or anyone of you guys who have helped or are willing to help enough. Christmas would certainly be special this year.

-Brad

https://www.gofundme.com/help-bradley-see-with-esight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:39 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

50 bucks sent your way bro!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I’m tapped out right now Brad. I’d love to help you though brother. Honestly. Just have faith and everything else will fall in line.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Donation coming your way Coots. I will try to get some family and friends up here to donate as well.

Keep the faith pal. Everyone here will help get this done.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:08 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

*Bump*

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]