View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Dolphins "smitten" about Major Wright 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Dolphins "smitten" about Major Wright
For those of you who don't know, smitten means fanatical. I know I had to look it up. :ann0y:

Quote:
The Dolphins are reportedly "smitten" with Florida S Major Wright.

Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan was impressed after working Wright out and breaking down film with him on a Gainesville trip. The Fins don't have a second-round pick, so Wright would have to slip to No. 73 overall to address the free safety vacancy. He's more of an in-the-box type, however.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubho ... ajteam=MIA

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Dolphins "smitten" about Major Wright
They keep calling him an in the box safety. Just because the guy is big hitter does not relegate him to strong safety. He is a big hitter and a good center fielder

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:21 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Pass, I hope he goes before we pick. I am not a fan of him.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:26 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

nbrewer22 wrote:

Why not? The Dolphins are

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:34 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

ggippo wrote:
nbrewer22 wrote:

They were also fans of Pat White, just saying. I dont like Wright I dont think he is a good fit for the phins.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That was extremely close to unnecessary roughness. He wasn't playing the ball at all, and lowered his head and went straight for the chin strap. I love big hits just as much as the next guy...in fact, I used to play DB and think that most calls nowadays are ticky tack....but hits like that are dangerous. Keep your head up. You can lay the wood and make a big hit without throwing your weapon of a helmet into a guy that is running full speed down the sideline looking up at a ball.

It's just as much Bradford's fault for making the throw though, too. (Never was impressed with him, wonder how he'll do in the pros.)

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:24 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
That was extremely close to unnecessary roughness. He wasn't playing the ball at all, and lowered his head and went straight for the chin strap. I love big hits just as much as the next guy...in fact, I used to play DB and think that most calls nowadays are ticky tack....but hits like that are dangerous. Keep your head up. You can lay the wood and make a big hit without throwing your weapon of a helmet into a guy that is running full speed down the sideline looking up at a ball.

It's just as much Bradford's fault for making the throw though, too. (Never was impressed with him, wonder how he'll do in the pros.)

Im with you on this 1 Iowa. All that clip showed was he can hit a guy who wasnt looking to be hit. Yeah he laid him out but what if the guy caught it? We need more than just a head hunter out there can he cover,or make up ground. And will he make the sure hit or highlight missing hit.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

nbrewer22 wrote:
ggippo wrote:
nbrewer22 wrote:

They were also fans of Pat White, just saying. I dont like Wright I dont think he is a good fit for the phins.

As someone who covers the Gators closely, I initially thought Wright made a mistake coming out this year. However, this year he was part of a three-man rotation at safety - which was done because of too much talent, not deficiencies. If you look at how Wright played in 2008 as the sole starter - he just dominated people. Kid made the right decision to come out early and some team is going to be very happy with him. However, like some here said already, he would have to fall to us in the third - not going to happen.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:11 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:

Iowa, were you a CB or S. I played CB in my days of playing ball. AND yes, Wright should have gotten penalized for that hit, if not for personal foul, then for interference, as he was there early with the hit.

Major Wright is a nice player and will probably be there in the 3rd round along with Reshad Jones, who I like a lot out of Georgia.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:29 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Given the choice, I prefer Reshad. I'm concerned about Wright's ability to play deep center field and prevent the deep ball.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:27 am

k-dash wrote:
Given the choice, I prefer Reshad. I'm concerned about Wright's ability to play deep center field and prevent the deep ball.

I don't know about Wright, but Jones will give up the deep ball as well.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:28 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Iowa, were you a CB or S. I played CB in my days of playing ball..

Both. Mostly corner, but depending on the game or injury I'd switch to free safety.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:03 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Iowa, were you a CB or S. I played CB in my days of playing ball..

Both. Mostly corner, but depending on the game or injury I'd switch to free safety.

Versatility in a DB is always a good thing Iowa. JP, there is not a DB out there that has not gotten beat. I like Jones because he has nice ball skills and 11 career interceptions. He physical also and has very nice size at 6'1, 215 lbs and nice speed at 4.51 40.

Georgia defensively last year was not good, and they did not have the DE's of the last few years to create pass rush at all, so if you have time as a QB, you will eventually get what you want.

If Miami can get a 2nd round pick back, I think they go with Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett, but if they don't, I like Jones.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:19 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Versatility in a DB is always a good thing Iowa. JP, there is not a DB out there that has not gotten beat. I like Jones because he has nice ball skills and 11 career interceptions. He physical also and has very nice size at 6'1, 215 lbs and nice speed at 4.51 40.

Georgia defensively last year was not good, and they did not have the DE's of the last few years to create pass rush at all, so if you have time as a QB, you will eventually get what you want.

If Miami can get a 2nd round pick back, I think they go with Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett, but if they don't, I like Jones.

Oh absolutely SC. I just think that Allen and Burnett are much more polished overall in coverage than Jones. Reshad does have very good instincts and ball skills, and can cut down the sideline pretty quick. He's also got the size and tackling ability, lik you said, to fit the bill of what Miami is looking for in a FS.

I like him, but I would rather go with Burnett or Allen as I think they are the safer bets.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:42 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

onlygators wrote:
ggippo wrote:

As someone who covers the Gators closely, I initially thought Wright made a mistake coming out this year. However, this year he was part of a three-man rotation at safety - which was done because of too much talent, not deficiencies. If you look at how Wright played in 2008 as the sole starter - he just dominated people. Kid made the right decision to come out early and some team is going to be very happy with him. However, like some here said already, he would have to fall to us in the third - not going to happen.
[/quote]

So you watch the Gators and the Yankees? Let me guess... your favorite basketball team was the Lakers and this year it's the Cavaliers? LOL. Major Wright has several highlight reels, but it's funny how there aren't any clips of him covering a bigger TE (which he is sure to face in the NFL not being 6 foot even) or stopping a pass in the red zone when a WR is on a fade route.

I would venture to say that Wright IS available in the 3rd round when we pick AND we don't pick him.

PS onlygators, I came off a little mean there. My bad man, I'm a Noles fan who is jealous, no hard feelings, lol. :yay:

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:51 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

k-dash wrote:

What do you guys not understand. He played Deep Center that is his position

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I for one hope we address the secondary in the first round. I would like to see us go after one of three guys:
Eric Berry - My fingers are crossed!
Earl Thomas - Huge upside in my opinion.
or Joe Haden - Could open things up for us to convert Sean Smith to FS.
I think you can't go wrong with any of those three guys.

As for Wright, Nolan like to take guys that fit a scheme. I watched him coach up Denver's secondary last season and what he did was nothing short of amazing. If Nolan likes this guy, then that means he would be a good fit for our secondary. Whether that means we'll draft him or not I have no idea.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dont know much about Jones or Wright but I do need we a young guy even if we give Culver a shot.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]