View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Will Phiben Last the Week? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Will Phiben Last the Week?
Listening to Adam Schefter..........this thing's going to get much worse. If Philben knew of racially incensed threats being made to another player and did basically nothing to correct the situation..........he maybe out as early as this week. It's not ideal, but Ross is in a PR nightmare, where inaction will cost him both local and league support.

I would think Coyle would become the interim coach, assuming his hands are clean.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Re: Will Phiben Last the Week?
I really doubt it gets that far. As far as the evidence that is being revealed, we are talking about voicemail and texts, both of which the coaches would have absolutely zero access to unless it was submitted to them by the victim party.

There was a meeting Martin had with the coaches back in OTAs, that is the only part that can really be exposed depending upon where that conversation went, and again, there probably isnt any proof to show that the coaching staff was negligent.

The real condemning strike against the coaching staff would be if this whole thing was a common vibe displayed within the locker room, something they would have control over. And some one else mentioned it before. I HIGHLY DOUBT A BIG WHITE BOY WOULD BE DROPPING N BOMBS IN THAT LOCKER ROOM. Yes, Miami has a white WR, they have a white QB, other than Jimmy Wilson, that whole defense is dark. and for that fact the majority of the offense is black. nearly 90% of the Dolphins team has some dark blood in them. I highly doubt any one would let Richie drop N bombs without getting a serious flogging. And even if it was black on white in that lockerroom, the next biggest white boy other than Clabo on that roster is maybe John Denney and Brandon Fields..... its laughable that he could think he could get away with that.

The only person who may have lockerroom insight on this whole event would probably be the OL coach, because maybe Richies heckling became more liberal in a positional meeting room. Especially since Clabo, himself, and Denney may be in that room with 6 other guys. The ratio may be more apparent, and at that point the buck would stop with the positional coach who never reported it above.

Again, highly doubtful.....

And seriously, Philbin losing his job before Schiano? yea no. I dont think we have anything worry about on that front.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:22 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Bill Polian feels the buck stops with veteran leadership in the lockerroom. That these are the types of things any coach would be dettached from.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The only way Philbin is fired during the season is if the team goes on another big losing streak, the players stop responding to him and the few remaining fans stop showing up to games.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:36 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
Bill Polian feels the buck stops with veteran leadership in the lockerroom. That these are the types of things any coach would be dettached from.

Except that, reportedly, Martin told Philbin about this in the spring.

To me, either A) Philbin didn't do his due diligence when hearing about this in April, or B) Knew and didn't take action...Both huge indictments.

That said, no I don't see him getting fired in the coming weeks. After the season? Yes. Not now though.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:

Except that, reportedly, Martin told Philbin about this in the spring.

But what exactly did he say to Philbin? No one knows but Martin and Philbin.
Maybe Philbin didn't think it was that big of a deal because Martin didn't communicate the severity of what was going on, because he wanted Philbin to get to the bottom of it on his own, only Philbin didn't understand the extent of what was going on from what Martin wanted to say, so he didn't think much of it.
I don't know if that is what happened, but I have seen that similar scenario take place on several occasions.

Then there is always the possibility that Philbin just didn't prioritize it. Im surprised the go/go-go signal calling wasn't a bigger deal to him. Maybe he is just TOO laid back.

When situations like this blow up, there is a lot of finger pointing and blame to go around. Maybe some deservedly so, because it is looking like quite a few people could have done something to squash it, and didn't step up.

And there are still the rumors of Martin's questionable mental state that could have played into matters.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
The only way Philbin is fired during the season is if the team goes on another big losing streak, the players stop responding to him and the few remaining fans stop showing up to games.

wow both lines took a shot on this one.. I hope we can still win.....

The whole thing Pisses me off TBH.. hell I was just trying to talk myself into the fact that a 8-8 season... might be ok.. they fix the oline.. get a little more help.. and at least we seem to be on the right road....

It's getting harder to keep lying to myself.. the micky mouse club crap is getting old....

Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I just listened to Philbin's press conference. He outlined the last week. He said he met with Martin on Monday evening after the episode in the dining room. He also said he had constant contact with Martin and his family before the Thursday game and after the game on Friday and Saturday. It was not until Sunday that Martin brought up the issue of misconduct by Incognito.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:40 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rich wrote:

This is were "Veteran Leadership" was needed for such a young football team. Cameron Wake needed to be that guy, especially with all the changes made during the off season.

Joe Philbin and his staff obviously don't have the pulse of this team, and more the assistant coaches.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:27 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Rich wrote:
That these are the types of things any coach would be dettached from.

Detached until being informed. ( Per Reports )

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Going to be hard to fire Philbin when we win out.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:53 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This doesn't really seem to fall on our coaches at all. Unless some new evidence makes it self known I think they are all safe.

What will be really telling is if they can keep their guys focused on the games of the week and not whats going on outside of the field.

As for the voice mails and texts... That's kinda how me and my friends talk to each other. We say awful horrible things to one and other. That's kinda what it sounded like Richie was doing so I'm not sold we are getting all the information. Martin even sent texts to Richie saying he didn't blame him or any other team mates. To me, it sounds like Martin's family got inside of his head a little bit.

Either way our line is in even more shambles then it was. So here's to 6-10 and a decent draft pick!

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:55 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Once the NFL does it's review we'll hear more. I don't think Philbin is totally to blame here though. I think we're trying to find someone to blame. I think there could be multiple people to blame for all this before you get Philbin....

1. Richie- he should have known he was doing something wrong.

1a. Martin- he should have said....NO! And if the next move by Richie was to hit him...Richie is dumber than I thought. What was Richie going to do to him? NOTHING!

2. The other guys on the OLINE.
3. The other guys on the Offense.
4. The other guys on the Team.
5. Jim Turner (O-line coach), Chris Mosley (Assistant Offensive Line), Mike Sherman

Then we might get to Philbin.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:52 pm
Profile YIM

There will be some coach who will be a scapegoat. Maybe the oline coach.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
“Last Monday evening, prior to our practice in preparation for our game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Jonathan Martin left our facility prior to that practice after an incident occurred in our team dining room,” said Philbin, who is in his second season. “Later that evening he contacted a member of our organization. Soon thereafter I contacted Jonathan personally, requested a meeting with him, which he readily accepted.

“I met with him later that evening. We had a good discussion. Throughout the course of the week I was in contact on multiple occasions with both him and members of his family. I spoke to him the day after the game and spoke to members of his family over the course of the weekend. As the weekend unfolded, early on Sunday, we as an organization released a statement that was 100 percent factual.”

Then Philbin proceeded to bring everyone current to the situation the team now faces, missing two of its starting offensive linemen with Martin still absent.

“I should let you know that in all my discussions with Jonathan and members of his family, at no time were there any accusations of allegations of misconduct by any members of this team or this organization,” Philbin said. “Later on Sunday, we were contacted by one of his representatives where they in fact had some concerns over player conduct that had occurred. We immediately took those concerns very, very seriously.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 11a5e0fcdb

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:09 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Why not tell coach when they had the meeting?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:16 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Thanks Joe. Nothing like wanting someone else to let you know. Great idea. Check it out for yourself. The incompetence of this man is growing. First he does not want to coach players who might actually need coaching. Then he does not know about the go-go & now this.

Quote:
Joe Philbin: If NFL finds workplace not safe, I’ll fix it

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin met the media Monday for the first time since the suspension of guard Richie Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team stemming from his alleged harassment of tackle Jonathan Martin.

Philbin said several times that neither Martin nor his family had made the team aware of any alleged misconduct by Dolphins players against Martin until Sunday despite several conversations between the coach and the player. When they did, Philbin said he made the decision to suspend Incognito and told the team’s owner Stephen Ross about the nature of the allegations. Ross asked the NFL to come in and conduct a review of the workplace. Philbin didn’t have word on when the review would begin, but said he’d cooperate fully with it whenever it begins.

“If the review shows this is not a safe atmosphere, I will take whatever measures necessary to assure that it is,” Philbin said.

Philbin wouldn’t discuss the specific nature of the information Martin provided to him and also avoided questions about issues with racism in the locker room that referenced the voicemail Incognito allegedly left for Martin. He also said that it wasn’t the time to discuss whether either player would ever play for the team again and that the issue has been addressed in a meeting with the other players in the team.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

There are other possible narratives than the ones being presented by the media right now.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Thanks Joe. Nothing like wanting someone else to let you know. Great idea. Check it out for yourself. The incompetence of this man is growing. First he does not want to coach players who might actually need coaching. Then he does not know about the go-go & now this.

Quote:
Joe Philbin: If NFL finds workplace not safe, I’ll fix it

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin met the media Monday for the first time since the suspension of guard Richie Incognito for conduct detrimental to the team stemming from his alleged harassment of tackle Jonathan Martin.

Philbin said several times that neither Martin nor his family had made the team aware of any alleged misconduct by Dolphins players against Martin until Sunday despite several conversations between the coach and the player. When they did, Philbin said he made the decision to suspend Incognito and told the team’s owner Stephen Ross about the nature of the allegations. Ross asked the NFL to come in and conduct a review of the workplace. Philbin didn’t have word on when the review would begin, but said he’d cooperate fully with it whenever it begins.

“If the review shows this is not a safe atmosphere, I will take whatever measures necessary to assure that it is,” Philbin said.

Philbin wouldn’t discuss the specific nature of the information Martin provided to him and also avoided questions about issues with racism in the locker room that referenced the voicemail Incognito allegedly left for Martin. He also said that it wasn’t the time to discuss whether either player would ever play for the team again and that the issue has been addressed in a meeting with the other players in the team.

Philbin doesn't seem like a leader.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:41 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is interesting.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Ross wants a thorough and unbiased review that he might not otherwise get if the Dolphins did the review internally.

Ross is prepared to use the review to make career decisions on various people within the organization if they are found wanting by the review. Ross is prepared to make changes. And that means more than just Richie Incognito or Jonathan Martin are in the crosshairs.

So this NFL review, requested at the highest levels by the Dolphins owner, has put everyone on notice.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

And here is Bitchin' Dave's take on it ...

Quote:
My understanding is that he opened his wallet to (a) try and make himself more sympathetic to get stadium improvements and (b) to make the team more competitive and put fans in seats. They didn't get the stadium deal (and Mike Dee paid for that with his job) and they sit at a mediocre 4-4 and I think about 338 fans showed up on Halloween.

And now there's this. Its business first with Mr. Ross, and he met with Ireland and Philbin a few weeks ago to talk about the losing streak and attendance. The 'rumor' is that if he finds out this was a known situation that Philbin didn't handle, Philbin will be gone. And Ireland is on a short leash because he plucked a bad reputation Incognito and drafted Martin. And the Pouncey thing bears watching for him as well.

Incognito has (as I hear it) been told he's no longer welcome in the facility and won't play here (or in the NFL) again. Martin will seek treatment for something (not sure if he has a social disorder or if it specific to the bullying) and won't return for "several" weeks.

So no matter how you look at it, its a mess. If the coach had already started to lose the team (which we hear he had) and now this? Well, enjoy the 4-4 start, cause its going downhill from here...

http://dolphinblog.bitchindave.com/2013 ... -flip.html

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

ya, i have a feeling it's Martin's fault that it got to this point. He has a responsibilty to let Philbin/Ireland know about the texts and voicemails.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:09 am

Big Dave wrote:
This is interesting.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Ross wants a thorough and unbiased review that he might not otherwise get if the Dolphins did the review internally.

Ross is prepared to use the review to make career decisions on various people within the organization if they are found wanting by the review. Ross is prepared to make changes. And that means more than just Richie Incognito or Jonathan Martin are in the crosshairs.

So this NFL review, requested at the highest levels by the Dolphins owner, has put everyone on notice.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Good for Ross.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:12 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

this could all be a blessing is disguise for us fans. I'm not convinved Philbin is the right guy to drag us out of the abyss.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:14 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Makchell wrote:

ya, i have a feeling it's Martin's fault that it got to this point. He has a responsibilty to let Philbin/Ireland know about the texts and voicemails.

I think Martin says he did tell them. The goal of the investigation will be to try and determine if that is true. If it is, goodbye Philbin and possibly Ireland as well.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:39 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Could this just be a case of Martin just losing his cool, having a bad day, and making a mess of things?

It's starting to sound like things weren't that bad, and everyone else was unaware Martin was having a problem.

Could he just be an introvert who tried to keep everything in and it all exploded one day?

The story changes hourly, and the media wants to make it sound as scandalous as possible.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]