View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Coaches told Incognito to toughen Martin up 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Coaches told Incognito to toughen Martin up
Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
Now you're putting me in a position to counter myself. If he did say "toughen him up" then he is guilty of lighting a fuse and this mess becomes something greater.

So I guess when my dad told me to join the military it will toughen me up, he was abusing me and I didn't even know it. Poor me.

I've used the phrase when asked about my OL ... ie I need to toughen them up. "Steel hardens steel, so as one man sharpens another" I'm certain Philbin used this often, overused phrase as a gesture to mentor him...nothing more.

It's not about saying, "we need to toughen this guy up." That happens, and it's fine.

It's about telling a guy like Incognito to do it, and then not following up on what he was doing...or following up, and allowing these reported bullying stories to happen.

Again, what has Incog done since coming to Miami that would set off alarm bells. Did he beat up his girlfriend? wife? How about getting stabbed? All I've heard from this guy in Miami is he's dirty on the field. Yeah, well a lot of guys are dirty on the field. I think Ricky Williams nailed it... Martin didn't belong in the NFL and with two Harvard Lawyers as parents, he'll probably get a nice settlement check. It sure looks to me like Martin was "recording" events since the spring. That tells me he was planning on blowing this up.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

• Jonathan Martin had considered quitting football long before abruptly leaving the team Oct. 28.

• The Dolphins leadership council never knew of the explosive voice message left by Incognito on Martin’s phone back in April, which has been the catalyst for this entire controversy.

• Pouncey said he was never personally asked by coaches to toughen up Martin. The Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday that Incognito was directed to take Martin under wing and toughen him up.

• The prank that apparently pushed Martin over the edge – everyone getting up from the lunch table when he sat down – had been played on many Dolphins players “dozens” of times. Even coach Joe Philbin has been the butt of it.

• Pouncey told Carter, whom he’s known for more than a decade: “You know I would never allow anyone to be bullied on my team. ... [Incognito] thought he was trying to spur Jonathan Martin on. [But I] wish the words were different.” ...

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/06/3 ... rylink=cpy

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If this ends up being that Martin just didn't like NFL locker room culture, felt like an outsider, wanted to quit but didn't want to ruin his "reputation" by doing so then holy smokes did he do a good job of making his desire to play the last thing the media will focus on.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
If this ends up being that Martin just didn't like NFL locker room culture, felt like an outsider, wanted to quit but didn't want to ruin his "reputation" by doing so then holy smokes did he do a good job of making his desire to play the last thing the media will focus on.

Quote:
A person diagnosed with schizophrenia may experience hallucinations (most reported are hearing voices), delusions (often bizarre or persecutory in nature), and disorganized thinking and speech. The latter may range from loss of train of thought, to sentences only loosely connected in meaning, to incoherence known as word salad in severe cases. Social withdrawal, sloppiness of dress and hygiene, and loss of motivation and judgment are all common in schizophrenia.[8] There is often an observable pattern of emotional difficulty, for example lack of responsiveness.[9] Impairment in social cognition is associated with schizophrenia,[10] as are symptoms of paranoia; social isolation commonly occurs.[11] Difficulties in working and long-term memory, attention, executive functioning, and speed of processing also commonly occur.[2] In one uncommon subtype, the person may be largely mute, remain motionless in bizarre postures, or exhibit purposeless agitation, all signs of catatonia.[12] About 30% to 50% of people with schizophrenia do not have insight; in other words, they do not accept their condition or its treatment.[13] Treatment may have some effect on insight.[14] People with schizophrenia often find facial emotion perception to be difficult

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:39 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, I am interested to know when Philben asked Incognito to toughen up Martin: before the supposed talk or after?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

The narrative out there is that Incognito was a Martin tormentor who wanted to toughen him up. Well, if Incognito wants Martin toughened up, why would help him in a fight?

The narrative out there is that Martin is physically soft. Well, actually, I've seen Martin in more than a couple of practice tussles and I've seen him take shots at opponents during games. During his rookie year he got into a fight on the field with Starks, who is one tough man, the first week of training camp.

Afterward, Hartline told me, both Incognito and Pouncey were upset with him because in some form or fashion Hartline seemed to agree with Jordan about the exchange.

So even on a non-physical level, Incognito and Pouncey had Martin's back after the fact.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

During his rookie year he got into a fight on the field with Starks, who is one tough man, the first week of training camp.

SO Richie is tougher that Starks? I doubt it, Martin stood up against Starks, but not Richie.....OK. The story gets weirder and weider.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
So, I am interested to know when Philben asked Incognito to toughen up Martin: before the supposed talk or after?

For the 1000th time, are we sure it was Philbin? (sorry Dave, you're the Godfather so please don't leave me any threatening voicemails!)

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

For the 1000th time, are we sure it was Philbin? (sorry Dave, you're the Godfather so please don't leave me any threatening voicemails!)

This one seems to obvious to me. You've got a military man in Jim Turner. Hmmmmmmmmm .... who could've possibly concocted something like this? Hmmmmmmmmmm......

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

According to Beasley from the Herald the final comment on the voicemail wasn't "I'lll kill you" but rather, "OK, call me back".

Was the language used vile? Yup. Does the context change? Yup.

As we keep saying, something doesn't add up here. Narrative is being pre-written to serve a purpose.

More answers are needed.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 pm

BTW...with a nickname like big wierdo they should've seen this coming.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

BTW...with a nickname like big wierdo they should've seen this coming.

Ha! Ha! Now it is the big wuss!

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday that Incognito was directed to take Martin under his wing and make him tougher.
Skeptics of the dominant storyline raise real questions about the particulars. Why didn’t Martin ever raise concerns to Dolphins coaches or players? Why wait for six months after Incognito left the voice message to come forward? Why release only parts of the call? And even now, why not contact the police if he truly felt threatened?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/06/3 ... uncey.html

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

jammer wrote:
According to Beasley from the Herald the final comment on the voicemail wasn't "I'lll kill you" but rather, "OK, call me back".

Was the language used vile? Yup. Does the context change? Yup.

As we keep saying, something doesn't add up here. Narrative is being pre-written to serve a purpose.

More answers are needed.

"Hey I lit your car on fire and sold your daughter into slavery. OK, call me back".

Yup. Makes everything fine. ;)

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:20 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Hey I lit your car on fire and sold your daughter into slavery. OK, call me back".

Yup. Makes everything fine. ;)

Little over the top PR.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 pm

It just amazes me what I joke we have become. What should have been a defining season for us has turned into a circus. So much for making fun of other teams when their guys go hay wire,ours takes the cake. By the way .. where is Ross & Ireland in all of this. They are leaving Ireland out to dry the same way they did Sparano.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am impressed with the camaraderie and the guts it took to stand up and have the back of one of your guys when many are calling for his head. They think one of their own is getting a raw deal and took matters into their own hands to stand up for him even though he is probably done in this organization. Showing the courage of your convictions in the face of the scorn and ridicule by the media and others was encouraging. Thanks Phins.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

This one seems to obvious to me. You've got a military man in Jim Turner. Hmmmmmmmmm .... who could've possibly concocted something like this? Hmmmmmmmmmm......

ya, thats the name i've been waiting to hear.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:30 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

So, there are holes all over this story and every one of us are guilty of filling things in that may be inaccurate. (That's ok, Jammer, but you will have to kiss the ring ... :grin: )

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2