View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Chad Johnson: ‘Your Job Is To Play 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Chad Johnson: ‘Your Job Is To Play
I went ahead and posted Chad Johnson's comments, but I know he himself has been off over the years and how flamboyant he has been, but his thoughts like Ricky Williams on this situation made some sense to me.

The bottom line is I feel bad for Jonathan Martin and for the issues he is dealing with, BUT, for me personally, this could have all been dealt with much differently and I am having a very hard time with this whole "bullying" accusation against Incognito. I mean I do not doubt Martin being pushed over into his own personal deep end, but these are NFL players, one would think you could side a bit on Ricky Williams & Chad Johnson's thoughts because I tend to agree.

Right now, I also think Incognito is getting thrown under the bus for something that should have never made it to the media and to this magnitude. I think IMO that Jonathan Martin's personal issues run deeper than we all may realize. There is also a part of me (without any proof, just a gut feeling) that Martin may want out of football altogether and hit his own wall with the game just like Ricky Williams hit back when he first walked away from the game.

I will be very curious as the NFL looks into this and as more facts come out that Incognito will be back playing soon. Maybe not for the Dolphins and although I understand there will be folks in our forum that don't want anything to do with Incognito coming back, but I for one, do want Richie back. My stance may change if more compelling reasons come out against him, but as of now I hope he stays a Miami Dolphin.

Here are Chad's words:

http://mojo.radio.cbssports.com/2013/11 ... e-friends/

Chad Johnson, a former teammate of Richie Incognito, dropped by The MoJo Show to discuss the controversy involving the Dolphins offensive lineman, who has been suspended indefinitely for sending threatening and racially charged voicemails to second-year offensive tackle Jonathan Martin.

“Before I start, I don’t condone bullying; I don’t condone any of that stuff,” Johnson said. “I have a respect for all players, and the situation that happened at hand, it kind of bothered me. It didn’t have to get to that point (where Martin) filed a grievance. There’s something that’s going on – (something) that has been going on for years in the NFL – which is tradition.”

That tradition? Rookie get hazed – but only, Johnson said, to a certain point. There’s “Rookie Night,” where the rookies take the vets out for dinner, which Johnson did, and the rookies carry pads after practice, which Johnson did.

Anything else? Sorry, not going to happen.

Incognito reportedly told Martin he would have to fund a trip to Las Vegas and at one point threatened to harm his family.

“Is Richie really going to do that stuff?” Johnson asked. “Or is it (just that) he found what your weakness was – that you were believing every little thing – and that’s what he was going to be able to (exploit) to get every little thing out of you?”

Incognito repeatedly used the N-word when threatening Martin. Johnson was indifferent to that.

“I don’t even care about that,” he said. “Everybody’s saying the n-word nowadays.”

Johnson felt Martin needed to show more backbone throughout this ordeal.

“As a man – just being a man alone – you’re not going to tell me what I’m going to pay for that I have nothing to do with,” he said. “Rookie or no rookie, you can say no. Jonathan Martin is on the Miami Dolphins to play football – not make friends. If you don’t like it, so what?

“Richie don’t even talk to me no more,” Johnson continued. “I had to deal with Richie for a while in my short stint in Miami, and Richie is the the life of the locker room, man. I love that dude. That dude is hilarious. He’s a funny guy. He’s the life and energy of that locker room.

“You know me. I tell it like it is. I’m never politically correct. That’s not me. I wish it didn’t have to come to this.”

Johnson added that it’s highly unlikely Incognito would have actually followed through on his threats.

“What is he really going to do to me? Is he really going to harm me? Is he really going to do something to my family?” Johnson asked. “You have to have some type of edge to you. I don’t care about your background. I don’t care where you came from. You don’t let any man tell you what you’re going to do against your will.

“Let’s talk about mental toughness. I understand the voicemail and what he said and the harassment. Stop. Okay, stop. You are a grown man, man. Dude, stop. If it’s really bothering you that much, mentally, (tell him to stop).”

Johnson was asked if the other veterans should have come to Martin’s defense and told Incognito to back off a bit. Johnson doesn’t think so.

“Why do other men have to come to another man’s defense when all it takes is a simple no?” he asked. “Your job is to play football. You don’t have to make friends. You don’t like me? So what?

“Listeners, I know some of you might not agree with me, but I love you to death. Some of you don’t like me because I’ve been in trouble myself, so I have no right to really even speak. But come on. You are a man. Fifteen grand? A trip to Vegas? Child, please.”

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:21 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Chad Johnson: ‘Your Job Is To Play
I really am 50/50 on the issue, Richie and Martin are both wrong in my book, but they are men. Man the eff up, shake hands, and play freaking football.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:43 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
I really am 50/50 on the issue, Richie and Martin are both wrong in my book, but they are men. Man the eff up, shake hands, and play freaking football.

Whether he was wrong or right in what he did, there is no way Incognito lets this go. His teammate and maybe even his coaches basically rolled over on him in a way that impacts his career.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Whether he was wrong or right in what he did, there is no way Incognito lets this go. His teammate and maybe even his coaches basically rolled over on him in a way that impacts his career.

True, it's too late for my solution. The fins jumped the gun by suspending him. they should have stead fast instead of being politically correct....jmo

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm actually amazed at how many guys are coming out to defend Incognito. Seems a lot of fans are backing him up as well.

A lot of talking heads are saying how his NFL career is over. I think he is on a roster next year after making a public apology for his use of a racial slur.

Martin on the other hand...

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:03 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Players defend him cause this is the culture of the NFL.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This is all being made into WAY TOO MUCH. Mak, I tend to gravitate towards your comment of both guys being wrong in some way, shape or form on how this was handled. Man up, shake hands and let's move on.

I mean OK Incognito was a bit inappropriate, but even what Chad Johnson said rings true (to me) which is, what was he going to do FORCE Martin to pay that 15K??? Was he REALLY going to kill him or his family.....I don't know this all sounds more like mental issues on Martin and I feel sorry for him, but this was all handled wrong....again in my opinion.

Ditka said it best, if this were to happen back in my day, there would have been a fistacuff, maybe alittle blood shed then this would be DONE.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:06 am

Makchell wrote:

True, it's too late for my solution. The fins jumped the gun by suspending him. they should have stead fast instead of being politically correct....jmo

Actually, the Dolphins did the correct thing in suspending him. They are responsible for protecting the interests of the Miami Dolphins organization and in this matter it would be legal interests.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This is what I agree with 100%.

Let’s talk about mental toughness. I understand the voicemail and what he said and the harassment. Stop. Okay, stop. You are a grown man, man. Dude, stop. If it’s really bothering you that much, mentally, (tell him to stop).”

"But come on. You are a man. Fifteen grand? A trip to Vegas? Child, please.”

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 am

bobby0112 wrote:
This is what I agree with 100%.

Let’s talk about mental toughness. I understand the voicemail and what he said and the harassment. Stop. Okay, stop. You are a grown man, man. Dude, stop. If it’s really bothering you that much, mentally, (tell him to stop).”

"But come on. You are a man. Fifteen grand? A trip to Vegas? Child, please.”

If Jonathan Martin had stood up the Richie Incognito and it escalated the situation, leading to some sort of violent altercation and an even more blown up scenario, the people that are saying he should have handled it in-house would be saying he should have never tried to confront a nutjob like Incognito.

Also, we do not know if Jonathan Martin DID try to confront Incognito about it and Incognito simply said "screw you half n*****, I'll kill you" in response.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Martin is not a strong-minded man. We know he didn't confront his accuser because of the very nature of him storing texts and voicemails. This was a premeditated move by a guy with established mental/emotional instability. This is someone who needs scapegoats in life.

That doesn't excuse Richie in his part. He took it further than he needed to. It's a shame because he's the life of that locker room.

Doesn't surprise me the coaching staff might've wanted to do something to toughen him up, I mean Jim Turner is a military guy. Even if Philbin didn't know about it, he's the one responsible for hiring Turner. I can't believe that they knew this guy was mentally unstable and did nothing to go out and replace him before it got to this point.

This whole situation is downright sad. This is something that never should be out in the media. It could've been handled in-house. If Martin really thought his life or his family was in jeopardy, he really does have issues. Not being able to say no to someone requesting $15k of his own money? C'mon ..... what is this kindergarten lunch money theft?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
This was a premeditated move by a guy with established mental/emotional instability.

Where was this mental/emotional instability established?

Quote:
I can't believe that they knew this guy was mentally unstable and did nothing to go out and replace him before it got to this point.

Again, where are you getting this from?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Where was this mental/emotional instability established?

He's sought counseling out in California. Does that not tell you enough?

Quote:
Again, where are you getting this from?

From going out of their way to have to toughen the kid up.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
He's sought counseling out in California. Does that not tell you enough?

That doesn't mean there was a well established pattern of mental issues the team should have been aware of. This just happened recently.

Quote:
From going out of their way to have to toughen the kid up.

How does needing to toughen someone up equate to being mentally unstable? I don't see the connection. Not everyone in life needs to be "tough". Just because someone isn't tough or able to handle specific types of tough situations, does that mean they are mentally unstable.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
That doesn't mean there was a well established pattern of mental issues the team should have been aware of. This just happened recently.

How does needing to toughen someone up equate to being mentally unstable? I don't see the connection. Not everyone in life needs to be "tough". Just because someone isn't tough or able to handle specific types of tough situations, does that mean they are mentally unstable.

You're right Rich. He was perfectly normal. Those 2 days of missing OTA's were just isolated. They didn't have anything leading up to those events which could POSSIBLY make them believe they needed to toughen him up.

Only if you want to look at this in a vacuum.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
You're right Rich. He was perfectly normal. Those 2 days of missing OTA's were just isolated. They didn't have anything leading up to those events which could POSSIBLY make them believe they needed to toughen him up.

Only if you want to look at this in a vacuum.

You're avoiding my question. Where is the well established pattern of him being mentally unstable?

Missing two days of voluntary work outs may be a sign of laziness, I don't see how it is a sign of mental instability?

Is there a story reported out there where a coach found Jonathan Martin in the lockerroom after practice walking around high heels and trying out different types of lipstick while cutting himself?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This whole situation is downright sad. [b]This is something that never should be out in the media. It could've been handled in-house. If Martin really thought his life or his family was in jeopardy, he really does have issues. Not being able to say no to someone requesting $15k of his own money? C'mon ..... what is this kindergarten lunch money theft?[/b]

Rock, I agree with you here. This has been blown up and should have been handled in house. Heck, if Martin felt that Philbin wasn't listening I would have set an appointment with Mr. Ross/Ireland and Philbin at the same time.

This IMO was all so unnecessary. BUT, I am not Jonathan Martin and he chose to handle it his way by saving texts and voicemails.....

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Rock, I agree with you here. This has been blown up and should have been handled in house. Heck, if Martin felt that Philbin wasn't listening I would have set an appointment with Mr. Ross/Ireland and Philbin at the same time.

This IMO was all so unnecessary. BUT, I am not Jonathan Martin and he chose to handle it his way by saving texts and voicemails.....

Completely unnecessary man. It's sad. I'm embarrassed for everyone involved.

If Martin wanted to compile evidence, fine. Take it to the NFL though. Don't storm out of a team lunch and start leaking information to the press in order to save your own azz.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:26 am

Finhead34 wrote:

He chose to use the mechanisms made available to him by his employer.

Some people feel this was the best way to handle the situation, others feel the best way was to confront Incognito directly.

I can understand both arguments.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:27 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
He chose to use the mechanisms made available to him by his employer.

Some people feel this was the best way to handle the situation, others feel the best way was to confront Incognito directly.

I can understand both arguments.

Wait .... leaking this situation to the media after storming out of a cafeteria is not in the handbook of how to deal with this situation.

He's covering his own butt for having a mental breakdown.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:30 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Wait .... leaking this situation to the media after storming out of a cafeteria is not in the handbook of how to deal with this situation.

Where is the report that he leaked this?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:32 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

thats exactly what the NFL AM panel is saying right now, they have alot of issues with what both players did, they seem to think that Martin did not handle things like an adult, and none of them consider this bullying.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:10 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Makchell wrote:

thats exactly what the NFL AM panel is saying right now, they have alot of issues with what both players did, they seem to think that Martin did not handle things like an adult, and none of them consider this bullying.

I find it interesting that people are saying a player who worked through the system rather than outside of it didn't handle things like an adult.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I find it interesting that people are saying a player who worked through the system rather than outside of it didn't handle things like an adult.

Worked through what system? Compiling texts and voicemails over a long period of time? Then giving them to the media first instead of keeping it in house or going straight to Goodell's offices? All for the purposes of explaining a "larger reason" for storming out of the team facilities after a team prank that he once was a part of himself (per Mike Pouncey in his interview with Chris Carter).

Martin freaked out. He handled his role in this wrong and he knew it. Hence it became a much larger, media driven issue. Anyone reading transcripts of Cog's voicemail could easily take it out of context ..... Martin's no dummie. He's a Stanford grad and was counting on that, I'm sure his parents were too. Doesn't make what Cog said right, as he clearly overstepped his bounds. But there was a culture there in the lockeroom which made Cog feel like it was acceptable to say those words.

If Martin was LEGITIMATELY threatened by that voicemail which is causing the stir, where was this big hoopla back in April?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Worked through what system?

The system setup by the NFL and the NFLPA that outlines the required behavior of its employees (i.e. players, coaches), rules that were clearly violated by Richie Incognito, whether he was joking or not. The system that establishes the right for a player like Jonathan Martin to report being harassed in the workplace, which is what he did.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Worked through what system?

The system setup by the NFL and the NFLPA that outlines the required behavior of its employees (i.e. players, coaches), rules that were clearly violated by Richie Incognito, whether he was joking or not. The system that establishes the right for a player like Jonathan Martin to report being harassed in the workplace, which is what he did.

Report to whom? When?

He gave his side of the story and the VM's to the media after they started running with the stry that he stormed out of team facilities after a practical joke ..... That was before Philbin and the team got the VM's.

Why weren't the VM's reported back in April? Why did he not go to league offices if there was a chance he felt he wouldn't get support from the team?

None of that happened.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Report to whom? When?

Maybe you missed it, to his head coach on Sunday...?

Quote:
He gave his side of the story and the VM's to the media

So if he gave the voicemail directly to the media, why are they providing a transcript based on what sources say the voicemail contains rather than publishing the actual voicemail?

Quote:
Why weren't the VM's reported back in April?

Only Jonathan Martin knows. That doesn't mean he hasn't worked through the system the league put in place. There isn't a statute of limitations preventing the incident from being reported to the league months later.

Otherwise there wouldn't be an investigation going on.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Maybe you missed it, to his head coach on Sunday...?

So if he gave the voicemail directly to the media, why are they providing a transcript based on what sources say the voicemail contains rather than publishing the actual voicemail?

You're not understanding my point. He circumvented the "system" you're raising hell about by issuing the VM's to reporters .......at the very least transcripts of them. It wasn't until afterwards that he gave them to the team.

This was an attempt to make him the sympathetic figure. Except it's not quite working out the way he envisioned it and now we have an unnecessary media sh- storm.

Quote:
Only Jonathan Martin knows. That doesn't mean he hasn't worked through the system the league put in place. There isn't a statute of limitations preventing the incident from being reported to the league months later.

Otherwise there wouldn't be an investigation going on.

I'm not saying there are statutes. I'm establishing common sense. If he was threatened and felt Cog was capable of doing what he said on that VM, he would've gone straight to higher ups. It wasn't until he got tired of Richie's jokes, freaked out over a locker room prank he's played on other people, and stormed out.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:58 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Martin handled it very wrong, he quit on his team. I find it ironic that quit once he was asked to play RT again. He joked around and it didn't go his way so he quit and he is now CYA. This could have all been handled in house. Now the NFL is investigating, pencil neck geeks calling for a culture change in the NFL locker rooms. Why? They don't work there, what do they care?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]