View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 How did Ireland have confidence Martin was his starting LT? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post How did Ireland have confidence Martin was his starting LT?
One thing being overlooked in all of this is the fact that Martin didn't attend 2 OTA's in the spring of 2013. Wasn't Martin supposed to be working his butt off to improve his strength and skills as a starting LT? Shouldn't this have been a huge red flag for Ireland? If Martin didn't show for these OTA's in April then this absence occurred in the same month that Miami was talking to KC about trading for Albert. How does Ireland decide to go with Martin knowing he is not showing up for all the off season team activities?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: How did Ireland have confidence Martin was his starting LT?
bobby0112 wrote:
One thing being overlooked in all of this is the fact that Martin didn't attend 2 OTA's in the spring of 2013.

It was 2 days of voluntary workouts, not 2 full OTAs.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

According to this article below. The Miami Dolphins 9 week program began on 4/15/13. Whether they were voluntary workouts or OTA's Martin didn't attend 2 of them. IMO it shows a lack of dedication to your full time job.

"For the Dolphins, their nine-week program will begin on April 15. The team will hold their OTAs on May 21-23, May 29-31, and June 3-6. The mandatory minicamp is scheduled for June 11-13."

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/3/29/4 ... p-schedule

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:56 am

bobby0112 wrote:
Martin didn't attend 2 of them. IMO it shows a lack of dedication to your full time job.

Martin didn't attend TWO DAYS, based on what is being reported. Missing two days is a big difference from missing two OTAs.

A lot of players in the NFL bypass voluntary work outs. Some guys go train elsewhere, some guys have personal reasons for missing OTAs. Some guys, like Randy Starks, completely don't go to any OTAs because they are unhappy with their contract situation.

It's not the end of the world.

All that was reported this offseason was that Martin worked very hard in improving his strength as that was identified as a weakness.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:00 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Are we really going to split hairs over 2 days? Of course, a lot of info is missing in that report. I mean, was his two days at the beginning, and once Incognito "motivated" Martin he didn't miss any more time? Until we hear all of that, I wouldn't even sweat missing 2 days of "voluntary" workouts ... especially since he came back bigger and stronger than last year. He still has more to go, but we do see improvement in his play from last year.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This isn't just about two days guys. This is about the entire canvas of a ma they were suspect about. A man they were counting on to protect their franchise QB. He should've been replaced.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:08 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Jonathan Martin is not just another 2nd round draft bust for Ireland, but this player may end up costing folks jobs. Not to mention national media attention, investigations and who knows what "changes" may be formalized by the NFL to "address" this matter.

Supposedly, some coaches asked Incognito to push martin into shape. This seems so crazy to me, as I always thought coaches would push players. Yes, peer pressure is a very powerful tool...but to unleash Incognito? Wow!

Even ex-GM Scott Pioli said about martin "You know, we saw a guy who was a great athlete, a really smart football player, but he wasn't our type of player as an offensive lineman. We generally liked guys who were a little bit tougher, a little bit more physical. He just wasn't our type of guy."

I don't know what happened between these players when off the field. Frankly, I should not know! This should have been resolved internally, instead of have a media open-house.

Anyway, this does not improve my already tarnished impression of Ireland. I would not be surprised if Ireland thought Wow, what a great OL we have back then?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]