View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Incognito, Racism, and the Unwritten Code of Silence 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Incognito, Racism, and the Unwritten Code of Silence
LOS ANGELES, November 6, 2013 — Much has been said about Miami Dolphin OL Richie Incognito, who has been suspended indefinitely pending an NFL investigation into the incident involving fellow teammate Jonathan Martin. The alleged accusations involving Incognito, much like the Riley Cooper incident earlier this year have once again fueled the national debate on bullying and racism.

As much as people can all agree that these are two major issues that definitely need to be addressed, the general discussions regarding this specific case could not be less pertinent to the relevant truth.

“Locker room culture will never be understood unless you’ve lived or have been around it,” said a personnel man to Sports Illustrated.

Rookie hazing is where new players are often subjected to harassment, pranks and abuse by the veteran players as a means of initiation. Very similar to the fraternities and sororities of American colleges. Rookies often go along with it as a sign of respect to the senior players, and to keep from alienating themselves from their fellow teammates. Despite the growing controversy, it has generally been accepted as a part of the sports/fraternity culture.

Most outsiders may not understand that hazing has actually nothing to do with either racism or bullying. All rookies are essentially treated the same initially. It is simply a rite of passage, an understanding that all newbies must to start at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole and work their way up. In the corporate world, If you have ever been a new employee, intern or some sort of executive assistant at one point in your career, then you can somewhat relate to this. The respect from your coworkers or teammates will be earned by how well you get along, and ultimately your production, not by your race, religion, education, social standing, or sexual preference.

Now for anyone who has never been a part of a sports locker room environment, there is an unwritten rule or code of silence that you simply do not ever break. NFL players are the modern day gladiators. Aside from a life threatening situation, whatever happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room. Martin, whether he was justified in doing so or not, ultimately violated this code.

Another person told Sports Illustrated, “Guys are going to be guys, if you know what I mean. I’m sure there are some instances of ‘taking things too far,’ but that happens everywhere. You handle it in house — fight, handle it on the field, joke about it, etc — and keep it moving.”

In the locker room, derogatory name-calling and negative comments have been known to be thrown around incessantly. Much like a drill sergeant in boot camp, the insults directed at a particular individual are not to be taken personally. It is a test of mental toughness, and most people who choose to affiliate themselves with these groups or organizations typically understand this.

Tougher players are usually able to take the heat and survive, while softer players generally fold or quit. What seems to be unclear is the actual incident that sparked the complaint by Martin. What has been reported is that it happened after a luncheon involving other players, not just Incognito.

The situation between Martin and Incognito though, stems back to Martin’s rookie year in 2012, as there has reportedly been several threats made by Incognito.

According to NBC Sports, this voicemail was leftfor Martin by Incognito, “Hey, wassup, you half n—– piece of [expletive] … I saw you on Twitter, you been training ten weeks. [I want to] [expletive] in your [expletive] mouth. [I’m going to] slap your [expletive] mouth. [I’m going to] slap your real mother across the face (laughter). [Expletive] you, you’re still a rookie. I’ll kill you.”

This quote may sound absolutely despicable, but hazing like this has been going on for decades, possibly centuries. What people have to understand is that playing football is not like working in your typical office environment. These players are more like soldiers preparing for the field of battle, and as cliché as it sounds the unit will be only as strong as the weakest link.

Martin who just so happens to be an introvert, has notoriously been viewed as soft by his peers. The absolute worst quality to have as an offensive lineman.

Was it technically wrong for Incognito to say exactly what he did? Sure, but also try and understand the differences between hazing and racism. Racism is a deep-rooted belief that one race is superior to other races. Racism goes beyond mere derogatory name-calling and insults, it is systemic, and negatively impacts the way a certain individual views or interacts with individuals from another race or group.

Truth be told, if Incognito were truly racist he probably would not be able to stand the sight playing on the same team as Martin, let alone his other non-white teammates. You cannot work with a guy if you do not believe him to be on an equal playing field as you. This is what Jackie Robinson had to endure. It is not nearly the same case as Martin.

In the Sun Sentinel, Chris Perkins writes, “The players love Incognito, they like Martin. Incognito is a better player than Martin. And Incognito is the resident funny guy, the cut-up, the class clown, the crazy one who keeps everyone laughing.” -Chris Perkins, Sun Sentinel

Richie Incognito may be a lot of things in this league, but a bully and/or racist he is not. If we are ever truly to advance as a post racial/bullying society, let us not rush to pass judgment or point the finger at someone for the sake of our own benefit, or perceived self-righteousness.

Read more: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/ ... z2juBU82hy
Follow us: @wtcommunities on Twitter

Last edited by la_regal on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:00 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Incognito, Racism, and the Unwritten Code of Silence
I'm trying to keep an open mind on this even though a lot of people have not. I'll add this from the NY Post:

NY Post wrote:
The source made it clear Dolphins owner Stephen Ross encouraged the NFL to come to South Florida to conduct an investigation, saying, “We invited the NFL to come in. It was not the NFL telling us they were coming here. We feel good about the environment here and invited the NFL to come here for an open-door review.

“There is so much misinformation out there right now,’’ the source went on. “You’re in a tough spot as the club trying to honor the review with the league and let the process take its course. But from a public perception, the court of public opinion, perception and reality are two different things, I can promise you that.

“It is incredible to hear some people talking about his with such absoluteness when these people — national media — have never been near our locker room, never been in our building. There are a lot of agendas going on — the agents have an agenda, players have an agenda, the club has an agenda. There is a lot of misinformation out there. There is a lot of background and context that a lot of people are unaware of. People are just seeing this from the surface and from afar and drawing conclusions.’’

http://nypost.com/2013/11/06/dolphins-e ... g-context/

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Richie Incognito may be a lot of things in this league, but a bully and/or racist he is not.

I am OK with saying that the racism is being taken out of context. But to say Incognito is not a bully...?

I don't even like the way the term bullying has been used lately. It's a buzzword that everyone wants to use for any behavior. It gets used when a football team is beaten too badly...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/22/parent-accuses-texas-high-school-football-coach-bullying-after-1-0-blowout-game/ I saw a woman used the term when someone commented on her facebook page that she shouldn't have gotten breast implants. Overall it is riduculous how people can use the word bullying lately.

But Incognito was over the top in his behavior. It was bullying. And apparently Martin is not very mature. The combination of the two has been horrible.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Just read several of the posts that talked about how Martin and Incognito were great friends.
This keeps getting stranger.
I have to determine how this effects my perspective of everything and what I stated above.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:10 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

There is a code on the street, military, football, sports teams in general, family cod, ETC.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:58 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Quote:
I am OK with saying that the racism is being taken out of context. But to say Incognito is not a bully...?

There are multiple reports now saying that members of their team considered them to be close friends. My question is how can you be a bully and friend to someone at the same time?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:17 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

welcome laregal.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:20 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Quote:
welcome laregal.

Thanks

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

La Regal - I don't think you can. I think Martin just had a meltdown probably instigated by a lunchroom prank. The national media smelled blood in the water and made a mountain out of a mole hill. Its what they do.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
La Regal - I don't think you can. I think Martin just had a meltdown probably instigated by a lunchroom prank. The national media smelled blood in the water and made a mountain out of a mole hill. Its what they do.

Bingo

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:

It wasn't the meltdown that did it. It was when Martin played that voicemail from months ago.

Why would he save it? It's like Monica Lewinski saving that dress.

I have a feeling whoever actually heard the message got a different take on it that people just reading a written transcript of it, but that is what the media wanted, something scandalous.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:40 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

rodneyfaile wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

It wasn't the meltdown that did it. It was when Martin played that voicemail from months ago.

Why would he save it? It's like Monica Lewinski saving that dress.

I have a feeling whoever actually heard the message got a different take on it that people just reading a written transcript of it, but that is what the media wanted, something scandalous.

What's really in question here is Martin's genuine love and passion for the sport of football. He seems like a guy that came from a very sheltered background where his parents controlled his every move, and had to stand up for him a lot. That could explain that standoffish like personality from a social stand point. Now was he intentionally trying to compile information banking on a lawsuit for his final exit? We'll never know, but what we do know now from the reports coming out is that this guy more than likely just snapped mentally, and tried to take anyone he could down with him.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kind of like a drowning person reaching out to clutch at whatever he can?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]