View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ryan Tannehill says Incognito and Martin were best friends 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ryan Tannehill says Incognito and Martin were best friends
Quote:
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 6, 2013, 5:36 PM EST
Ryan Tannehill, Jonathan Babineaux, Mike Pouncey, Richie Incognito AP

Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill is mystified by the suspension of Richie Incognito and the departure of Jonathan Martin, because as far as Tannehill knew, the two were best friends.

Asked today about reports that Incognito bullied, harassed and threatened Martin to the point where Martin felt he had to leave the team, Tannehill said that to the contrary, he always was under the impression that Martin and Incognito were like brothers.

“I think if you had asked Jon Martin a week before who his best friend on the team was, he would have said Richie Incognito,” Tannehill said. “The first guy to stand up for Jonathan when anything went down on the field, any kind of tussle, Richie was the first guy there. When we would hang on off the field, outside football, who was together? Richie and Jon. I’m not in those guys’ shoes, I can’t explain what’s going on.” ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-friends/

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill says Incognito and Martin were best friends
This story is so bizarre.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

This is odd. Last thing I ever expected was an ANGRY Dolphins locker room. Players are pissed off they are being put through this.
Expand

1m
Chris Perkins @chrisperk

#Dolphins players outstanding in lockerroom today. Tannehill, Hartline, Clabo were the stars. Passion & honesty.

3m
Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero

I ask randy Starks who is aware of voicemail whether Richie Incognito is a racist: "No, not at all."
Expand

5m
Andrew Abramson @AbramsonPBP

Randy Starks on why they're speaking up after initially being told not to talk: We want to clear Richie's name
⌘ Expand

6m

Randy Starks: Incognito took Martin under his wings, was like a big brother to him.
⌘ Expand

7m
Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

"We're trying to clear Richie's name. He's getting a bad rep," Randy Starks said.
Expand

7m
Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

"We joke with each other. You can't have thin skin around here," Starks said. "Way we joke around is different than things in corp office."
10 Retweets Collapse

Retweet
Favorite

10m
Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley

Clabo said Incognito treated Martin no different than any other player on the offensive line.
Expand

11m

Tannehill, John Jerry, everyone keeps talking about how Incognito and Martin were friends.
⌘ Expand

14m

Everybody we've talked to says how close they were. Hartline was on fire.
Expand

17m

Tyson Clabo is irate at Jonathan Martin: "I don't know why he's doing this. ... This is ridiculous."
Expand

18m

When asked if players could possibly welcome Martin back, Hartline says he has an opinion but won't share it
⌘ Expand

20m

Hartline says if coaches asked Incogntio to toughen up Martin why would they pick a bully racist to do the job?
⌘ Expand

20m

Hartline said at one time the voice mail was a joke in the locker room and he believes Martin was one laughing about it
⌘ Expand

21m

Hartline says Incognito and Martin were friends, he was extremely critical of voice mails being leaked to media

http://www.phins.com/phins-news.php

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The more I keep reading all of this the more I call mental issues on Martin. Incognito belongs back on the field with his teammates.

I am also sick of the ESPN & NFL Network analysts that keep crying racist on this matter and keep throwing fuel on the fire. However, there are a share of the analysts that side with Incognito and a TON of his former and current teammates too.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This story gets weirder by the day.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:57 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I wonder why Richie hasn't made a statement.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia ... c6a297e9d6

Video of Tannehill talking to reporters.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Video of Heartline talking to reporters.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia ... 136c89962c

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:36 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Is Martin so much of a Puss that he he is using this as his excuse to no longer have to play football?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I was playing the speculation game today and wondering if Martin was using this as his move to get out of football and not ruin his reputation aka pinning it on a scapegoat.

Hmm...

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Haha wrote:

He doesn't need to. His teammates are doing it for him and it comes on the heels of the media trying to make Richie out to be some racist bastard.

They have egg on their faces right now. Once more facts got out, it became apparent to me Martin has been trying to cover his own butt for storming out. His family and counsel were trying to make him a sympathetic figure except it backfired. Wouldn't be surprised if his parents concocted this in order to ensure the Dolphins don't try to withhold money from his signing bonus.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The NFL Players Association is making an attempt to open up the lines of communication between the camps of Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin.

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported that the NFLPA contacted the agents of Incognito and Martin on Wednesday morning to request a meeting, according to a source apprised of the plan.

The proposal calls for the meeting to occur in Florida with union chief DeMaurice Smith present.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ps-to-meet

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:56 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finhead34 wrote:
The more I keep reading all of this the more I call mental issues on Martin. Incognito belongs back on the field with his teammates.

I am also sick of the ESPN & NFL Network analysts that keep crying racist on this matter and keep throwing fuel on the fire. However, there are a share of the analysts that side with Incognito and a TON of his former and current teammates too.

Ever thought about how small of an audience this MNF game would draw if espn weren't pushing this awkward story into something extraordinary?

Just sayin . .

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
Ever thought about how small of an audience this MNF game would draw if espn weren't pushing this awkward story into something extraordinary?

Just sayin . .

Oh that plays a huge role, trust me. Because otherwise nobody is tuning in to watch that game except fans of the team and hardcore fantasy football guys.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Just sayin . .

Personally, that isn't the way to draw fans to follow the Dolphins.

Last edited by Finhead34 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

In the national media I wonder if alleged Physical or Verbal abuse is worse?

Quote:
Martin left the Dolphins last week because of emotional issues stemming from alleged harassment and misconduct.

Sapp's comments came on the same day former Tampa Bay defensive end Chidi Ahanotu wrote a Facebook post saying Sapp had bullied him, several other players and team employees during his time with the Bucs.
In part, Ahanotu wrote players and staff "had physical altercations of varying degrees with Sapp. Virtually Nothing was off limits to Sapp's verbal attacks & belittling of his teammates & front office staff."

"A legendary coach once said to us that if a guy is a jerk but he plays football great, then he's not a jerk to him," Ahanotu wrote. "Sapp's prowess on the field and national acclaim has been embraced by the Buc owners [the Glazer family], former head coaches Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden and the local media regardless of full knowledge of Sapp's belligerence [and] insulting behavior. In the end, a pass is given to players when they are superstars. Even passes to be included all the way into the Hall Of Fame. If Richie Incognito was such a superstar, then the nation would never have heard about his bullying altercation."

Reached by ESPN.com, Ahanotu said his intent wasn't to be negative toward Sapp, but in light of the Incognito situation, he felt the public should know the truth.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99369 ... ur-vs-game

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:59 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Haha wrote:

He doesn't need to. His teammates are doing it for him and it comes on the heels of the media trying to make Richie out to be some racist bastard.

They have egg on their faces right now. Once more facts got out, it became apparent to me Martin has been trying to cover his own butt for storming out. His family and counsel were trying to make him a sympathetic figure except it backfire. Wouldn't be surprised if his parents concocted this in order to ensure the Dolphins don't try to withhold money from his signing bonus.

I'm leaning towards agreeing with you too. I mean, who runs back to their parents house at this age? He will probably get a large settlement, sadly. But if thats what he would rather have . . . well lets just say be careful what you ask for. Because money can't fill that hollow "what could've been" feeling he'll have for the rest of his life if he compromises himself and his teammates.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero

Brian Hartline tells me 2 wks ago Jonathan Martin and Dion Jordan got into practice scuffle. Incognito first to come to Martin's defense.

Mike Pouncey also came to Martin's defense. Hartline says both OLinemen angry at him b/c he agreed with Jordan.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finhead34 wrote:

Just sayin . .

Personally, that isn't the way to draw fans to follow the Dolphins.

Of course not! I'm saying its a pathetic ploy. This could easily be a small story but instead now we have an absurd buzz leading up to a 4-4 team facing an 0-8 team.

& I wouldn't be surprised if the Phins realize this, get pissed, rally together & hang a 30 spread on the Succaneers!

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

"If I'm not mistaken, this is the same guy [Martin] who was laughing about this voicemail at one point and time, first of all," Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline explained. "Second of all, I believe that, if you go through the whole voicemail, there's some things said that you probably shouldn't say in general, friends or not friends. But I know for a fact that I've said things to my friends that I kind of wish I never said, either.

"With that being said, I never thought it was a death threat. I never thought he was actually going to do the things he said. If you can't take validity from one part of the voicemail, how do you take validity from the whole voicemail? You can't pick and choose what parts count and which parts don't count."

The Incognito-Martin saga has many layers and lines are being blurred within the Dolphins locker room.

Miami players described Incognito and Martin as good friends. Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill even described Martin as a protégé of Incognito's.

"Richie said, 'Jonathan is like my little brother,'" Tannehill recalled of a past conversation. "I think that's an accurate depiction. He gave him a hard time. He messed with him. But he was the first one there to have his back in any situation." ...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99374 ... -incognito

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I get the feeling a lot of people will be eating crow for their premature commentary on this story.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Clabo said Incognito might have been drunk when he left the now infamous voice mail for Martin.

https://twitter.com/AbramsonPBP

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Quarterback Ryan Tannehill said two weeks ago he'd have described Incognito as Martin's best friend on the team. Offensive tackle Will Yeatman, Martin's roommate for road games, agreed with Tannehill's assessment.

"I thought they were very close," Yeatman said of Incognito and Martin, "and Jonathan and I were also very close." ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yeatman said of Incognito and Martin, "and Jonathan and I were also very close." ...

Yeah Yeatman, he's so close to you that he quit on you. Nice friend...

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Philbin seems like he's getting a bit pissed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -as-a-team

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He should be, he knows that this crap went on in GB and every other team in the league. I like Ditka, there would be blood and fistcufffs in his day.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
Martin and Incognito were like brothers
This tells me everything I need to know. Incognito felt comfortable enough with Martin to joke around. Martin's departure was planned. The voicemail was obviously saved prior to camp which means it was premeditated. Martin's season was living up to his standards so he used this as an excuse to leave. A Ricky Williams moment if you will.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

And the JUNKIE speaks! I agree with you dude.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
Martin and Incognito were like brothers
This tells me everything I need to know. Incognito felt comfortable enough with Martin to joke around. Martin's departure was planned. The voicemail was obviously saved prior to camp which means it was premeditated. Martin's season was living up to his standards so he used this as an excuse to leave. A Ricky Williams moment if you will.

This was the vibe I was getting as soon as other elements of the story came out. Martin wanted to quit but didn't want to be labeled as a quitter. Wanted to make it seem someone else caused it.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:50 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

This was the vibe I was getting as soon as other elements of the story came out. Martin wanted to quit but didn't want to be labeled as a quitter. Wanted to make it seem someone else caused it.

Kind of like Ricky Williams getting busted for pot so he quits and blames Wanny for running him to much.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 pm

I always ran in mixed racial circles. Sometimes you'd get caught up in the moment and go wigger (That's White _igger for those that don't know) or bust out a racial slur to my Puerto Rican friend. The best diss of the day got you the best laughs and everyone enjoyed it. There were always days when someone wasn't feeling it and as close friends you knew when to lay off. I think this whole thing got out of hand because the information fell into the wrong hands...mostly those of Adam Scheffler.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:19 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

My Mexican friend texted me the night before our kickball game "make sure you get all of the olive oil off your hands you greasy whop". I guess I'm going to call his boss tomorrow. I don't even want say what I texted back...lol and yes, it was funny, we are "boys".

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Makchell wrote:
My Mexican friend texted me the night before our kickball game "make sure you get all of the olive oil off your hands you greasy whop". I guess I'm going to call his boss tomorrow. I don't even want say what I texted back...lol and yes, it was funny, we are "boys".

Mak - if they had a recorder around me and the dudes I hung around with in the Army it wouldn't be cool. I remember after beating me 8 straight games of 1 on 1.. I was tired and pissed. My "buddy" came over and said...."its okay, you can go home tonight and dream about your cracker @ss beating me on the court" I was so pissed I told him to get his N @ss back on the court. (insert his laughter here) We played another 3 games...he won all 3. on the way to car he laughs and says "You quittin' already? Your momma didn't have any quit in her. ... The funny part...he was a quiet guy most of the time around other people but with me on the court he ran his mouth non-stop. You know what though....if someone would've tried to attack either one of us...the other would be the first over there to have your back. Brothers to the end. I get it. What I don't get is Martin leaving camp.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I really don't understand how someone can get forced into paying $10,000+ tabs

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:48 pm

senorvega wrote:
I really don't understand how someone can get forced into paying $10,000+ tabs

Welcome aboard. I don't either.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Haha wrote:

They have egg on their faces right now. Once more facts got out, it became apparent to me Martin has been trying to cover his own butt for storming out. His family and counsel were trying to make him a sympathetic figure except it backfired. Wouldn't be surprised if his parents concocted this in order to ensure the Dolphins don't try to withhold money from his signing bonus.

I'm proud of our guys for not staying quiet. Hartline said it right, the media is going on and on about bullying but they're the ones bullying the Dolphin family. Become united and play angry now fellas.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

My friends call me Big WOP all the time. LOL

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:57 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
He should be, he knows that this crap went on in GB.

From all it reports, it didn't.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Maybe they have a stronger code? lol. Seriously, I would bet it does.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 am

Makchell wrote:

Maybe they have a stronger code? lol. Seriously, I would bet it does.

I doubt it does.

The 49ers under Bill Walsh did not allow any hazing and Green Bay comes from that school of thought.

There are ex-coaches (Herm Edwards) and ex-GMs (Bill Polian) and ex-players that have come out and said the hazing was not allowed by the teams they played for.

Sure, buying donuts and fried chicken etc happened, but not full on hazing.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next