All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8599
He is in the HOF & you do not make the HOF being a caretaker.


Enough said....


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:12 am 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 5384
Quote:
...

If Namath had the physical gifts, Tarkenton the foot speed and guile, and Bradshaw the competitive fire, Griese had the brains. He was the quarterback who didn`t need an offensive coordinator.

``You know how on television you see the quarterback coming to the sidelines during a timeout to ask the head coach what he thinks?`` said Mercury Morris, one of Griese`s running backs during the 1970s. ``Well, when Bob came to the sidelines, it was Don Shula asking Bob, `What do you think?```

Shula was a domineering coach, but he let Griese call the plays right up through his final season in 1980.

In fact, Griese virtually put together his own gameplans, and they so often involved nothing more exotic than handing the ball to Larry Csonka or Jim Kiick that for years his superb passing talents went unappreciated. ...

Nothing rankles the quarterback purists so much as Griese`s performance in Super Bowl VIII, when he threw a record-low seven times for a championship game. But how many remember it was Griese`s brilliant pre-game analysis of the Minnesota Vikings defense which was the key to Miami`s 24-7 win? ``I didn`t need to throw the ball,`` he said. ...



http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1990-0 ... -hall-fame


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6740
AQNOR wrote:

If Namath had the physical gifts, Tarkenton the foot speed and guile, and Bradshaw the competitive fire, Griese had the brains. He was the quarterback who didn`t need an offensive coordinator.

``You know how on television you see the quarterback coming to the sidelines during a timeout to ask the head coach what he thinks?`` said Mercury Morris, one of Griese`s running backs during the 1970s. ``Well, when Bob came to the sidelines, it was Don Shula asking Bob, `What do you think?```

Shula was a domineering coach, but he let Griese call the plays right up through his final season in 1980.

In fact, Griese virtually put together his own gameplans, and they so often involved nothing more exotic than handing the ball to Larry Csonka or Jim Kiick that for years his superb passing talents went unappreciated. ...

Nothing rankles the quarterback purists so much as Griese`s performance in Super Bowl VIII, when he threw a record-low seven times for a championship game. But how many remember it was Griese`s brilliant pre-game analysis of the Minnesota Vikings defense which was the key to Miami`s 24-7 win? ``I didn`t need to throw the ball,`` he said. ...

I would have loved to see how Griese would have performed under the current rules.

Even if Marino had those backs running like they did. He would not be happy not throwing the ball. Griese is still the greatest QB to play for Miami & I'm not saying that to diss Marino.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:40 am 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
put Marino on the 80's 49ers and he wins 3 or 4 rings walkin away. He never had a Jerry Rice or a dominating defense.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6740
swerve13 wrote:
put Marino on the 80's 49ers and he wins 3 or 4 rings walkin away. He never had a Jerry Rice or a dominating defense.
I'd say he might have.

I do put some of running game on him. "If Marino's not thrown' then we are not goin'" He never was happy handing off regardless of the performance of the RB. He had a golden arm & wanted to use it. Griese might not have had that type arm, but he was happy handing off.

Marino might not had a Wr like Rice, but he was not void of talent at the position.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 13234
Location: Raleigh, NC
1984phins wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
IMO Griese is the greatest QB in Miami history.


Griese was a caretaker QB. He threw 7 passes in SB 8, wasn't even needed to go 14-0 in 1972, and needed a historic defense and a dominating running back to get his victories. Miami's D gave up 3 points in their two SB victories COMBINED (plus 7 via special teams). A hundred QBs could have won those games.

PS: Griese won exactly 0 playoff games after SB 8.


I've been a Dolphins fan since 1970 when we moved to Key West. I met Csonka and Kiick back then.

Griese was a caretaker in our Super Bowl years, but that was the design of the offense. Griese was a very good quarterback and also a coach on the field. I don't think you can mention Griese and Dilfer in the same sentence when it comes to talent. If Shula wanted to, he could have had Griese and Warfield carry that offense.

To me, Marino was the best quarterback the Dolphins ever had. He just didn't have a Csonka, Mercury Morris, or a defense (after his first two years) to help him out. As always, people put too much emphasis on Super Bowl wins on a quarterback. Super Bowl victories go to the best "team", not the best quarterback.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:42 am 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 5384
I think if Marino was playing in this era of football, in his prime, then he would be rewriting the record books again and would probably have more SB appearances.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6740
AQNOR wrote:
I think if Marino was playing in this era of football, in his prime, then he would be rewriting the record books again and would probably have more SB appearances.

Miami would not have traded Marshall. That would have been a scary duo.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1646
Dphins4me wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
I think if Marino was playing in this era of football, in his prime, then he would be rewriting the record books again and would probably have more SB appearances.

Miami would not have traded Marshall. That would have been a scary duo.


And Marshall would've behaved himself because Marino would've stepped to him if he didn't.

_________________
Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r