All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

How does a player go from the practice squad to a starter, bypassing two dolphins on the roster?

Dave Hyde wrote:
With Mike Pouncey out with a reported illness, the Dolphins promoted Sam Brenner from the practice squad to start on Sunday. No doubt they saw him as the best option. And he must have played well … But it can’t go unnoticed in doing so the Dolphins bypassed third-round pick Dallas Thomas and Danny Watkins, who were on the actual roster. This isn’t to question Brenner being the choice at all (coaches see and grade actual practices). But if Brenner was better than Thomas and Watkins, why was he on the practice squad until this point?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 8405.story

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

It's called stashing someone on the practice squad...Those other guys would have been taken by another team or at least that is the thought I'm sure..Looks like it worked

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:37 pm 
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Nice positive take Kev. It did work. I look at the negative side of another wasted 3rd rd pick.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:09 pm 
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

It happens. see Victor Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:11 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

It was said today (by Sherman I think) that Thomas has been getting most reps at tackle and Brenner was really doing well in practice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:49 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Wasn't Gardner the ONLY Center backup on the entire roster?!?

That being said. If Brenner was on the scout team/practice squad, don't you think he may have worked snaps as the #3 center. it would only make sense to me that he would be called up and dressed to back up Gardner anyways.... Bet the coaches figured that if they were gonna burn the practice squad/red shirt card they might as well see what he can do....

I have a feeling that the scenario i just mentioned had more to do with it than him jumping Thomas and Watkins...... if we are gonna add him to the roster and activate him, lets at least see what the kid's got.

If Gardner went down, I would assume Brenner would be the one shifted to center, not anyone else. Hence he needed to be active

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:54 pm 
2015 Phinfever VIP Donor!
2015 Phinfever VIP Donor!

Very good points Kev & SkyHigh.....................Hyde should realize this............unless he's just writing to cause some controversy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
How does a player go from the practice squad to a starter, bypassing two dolphins on the roster?

Dave Hyde wrote:
With Mike Pouncey out with a reported illness, the Dolphins promoted Sam Brenner from the practice squad to start on Sunday. No doubt they saw him as the best option. And he must have played well … But it can’t go unnoticed in doing so the Dolphins bypassed third-round pick Dallas Thomas and Danny Watkins, who were on the actual roster. This isn’t to question Brenner being the choice at all (coaches see and grade actual practices). But if Brenner was better than Thomas and Watkins, why was he on the practice squad until this point?

Am I'm wrong, but neither Thomas nor Watkins play center? If I'm correct, then why is this even a column? Makes Hyde look uninformed.

I guess Hyde thinks its just that easy to never have played a position before to starting at it in the NFL.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]