Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Playoffs........Playoffs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

It looks like 9-7 should get there. Eight Teams are in the battle for the final spot.........the Phins & the Jets have a one game edge on the other 6. I don't know what to make of this Team........you really can't look at the schedule and say that will be a win or that will be a loss.

It would be nice to squeak into the playoffs..............the problem is everyone will likely get a pass going into next season. Regardless of how it turns out........we have some real coaching issues that need to be addressed.

Last edited by shularino on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: POP THE CORK!!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:11 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

We already corked that pop on another thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

http://www.bangcartoon.com/2005/meanwhile05.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:26 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:
We already corked that pop on another thread.

Sorry FINesse.............missed it.................changed the topic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

DevilInPgh wrote:
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2005/meanwhile05.htm

That's pretty funny DevilInPgh...........moved it over to the.....Pop that cork '72 Dolphins thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:06 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The way it's shaping up... 8-8 should make the playoffs not 9-7...

The 2 "front runners" for the 6th seed are the Dolphins/Jets who will play each other twice... Bias aside, lets just say, they are 2 .500 teams, and they should Split..... and if that happens, we are looking at a wide open playoff spread of about 8 teams, all with 6 losses competing for a final playoff spot over 4 games..... could 1 of them get hot and go 3-1.. sure! but more than likely we will be talking about a group of 8-8's with tiebreakers in play

Miami (5-5) CAR....@NYJ...@PIT....NE....@BUF...NYJ
Jets (5-5) @BAL...MIA....OAK.....CAR....CLE....@MIA
Oakland (4-6) TEN...@DAL...@NYJ...KC.....@SD....DEN
Tennesee (4-6) @OAK..@INDY..@DEN..ARZ...@JAX...HOU
Pitt (4-6) @CLE...@BAL....MIA.....CIN....GB......CLE
Baltimore (4-6) NYJ.....PIT......MIN....@DET..NE.....@CIN
Cleveland (4-6) PIT......JAX.....@NE.....CHI...@NYJ..@PIT
San Diego (4-6) @KC....CIN.....NYG.....@DEN...OAK...KC
Buffalo (4-7) BYE....ATL....@TB.....@JAX....MIA...@NE

Week 12
-Jets/Baltimore Cleveland/Pittsburgh and Ten/Oakland are big this week....
Tennessee/Oakland is more of an elimination game, and it doesnt get any easier for either team.... we can knock one of them off the list when that one is done.
-Cleveland/Pittsburgh, same scenario with the Raiders game, one of them will be pretty much wiped out and they will rematch on the final week.
-Jets/Baltimore, this one will either bunch up the group or spread it out. The Jets win, and we may be talking about a 9-7 wildcard team, the Jets lose and all of a sudden the group is clumped up, pending the Dolphins outcome
-Miami is playing out of conference, a loss will NOT be the end of the world as long as the Jets win, keeping Miami only a game behind, with a head to head to take the position back in week 13. As long as Baltimore doesnt jump ahead, we will control our own destiny til the end.
-Buffalo on a bye week, they can be winners or losers. If the Jets and Dolphins both win, they fall 2 games back, if they both lose, they will only be 1 game out of the slot.
-SD will be the most desperate in Week 12 playing against the Chiefs... this one will be an elimination game of sorts, if the Miami loss wasnt already

Week 13 (Top Wildcard team will be 6-5 or 5-6)
-Miami/NYJ, game of the week. Round one. These teams could be entering this week with 1 game lead in the race, or could be in the middle of the pack at 5-6. If the first scenario, the winner takes control with 4 weeks to go, no questions asked. If its the second, the winner should take a good lead in the chase regardless of ties (The jets might be in funny water with their 5 conference losses)
- Buffalo and Oakland are playing non-conference games.. outcomes could be of any sorts, and wont help towards tiebreakers
- Baltimore/Pittsburgh Sounds like a round robin from the prior week. If either or both get out of week 12 with a win and climb to 5-6, one of them will fall to 5-7. one may be 4-8 and completely out of the race. The winner could be as high as 6-5, and again, lets just hope its not baltimore, they are our biggest threat due to tie breakers.
-Cleveland may make a claim of their own. They face off on the Jaguars and could pull themselves into the 5 win group, if not 6 wins if they beat pitt in week 12 (and still would be behind miami due to head-to-head)
-Tennesee and San Diego, if both are still in the picture, it could get uglier. With matchups against division leaders, both will be even more desperate, of could be knocked out entirely

Week 14 (Top wildcard team could be 7-5 or 6-6)
-Miami/Pitt. If Pittsburgh hasn't been knock out yet, this one will be scary. Deep in December in Pittsburgh. --This will be the make or break part of the Phins season. Miami could be riding high with a win against the Jets and even at 6-6, would be in great shape as long as the 1 win came against the Jets. Losing both, and its not over but would be trailing NY by at least a game, if not 2. If Miami can win this one, everything will be easier
-NYJ/OAK- Kinda the same position Miami is in. NYJ is at more of a disadvantage. If they lose either of the prior 2 games, the Jets will have 6 conference losses. This game against Oak kinda becomes a must win because assuming the win 1 of the first 2, they would be 6-6, a loss here will spell 6 conference losses and put them at the brunt of the losing side of every tie breaker. Oakland could be out of the race by now, but if they get hot and win the first 2, they could be an interesting team coming out at 7-6
-Baltimore Buffalo and San Diego out of conference
-Ten/Denver If tennessee is still alive, this will probably be the back breaker.... enough said
-CLE/NE kinda like Oakland. If they can make it this far in the race, no one will expect much more. They have beaten NE in the past, but who knows.

Week 15 (Top Wildcard team could be 8-5, probably 7-6)
-MIA/NE- Huge game, but no one really expects a win here. If Miami beat the Jets and the Steelers sitting at 7-6, a loss here would be almost affordable. coming out a 7-7 Miami would still be in good shape, trailing by 1 game with tie breaker advantages against everyone not named Baltimore
-JETS/CAR- If the Jets beat Miami in Week 13, they will still be alive and kicking, if they lost to Miami or Oakland, or both, they might as well turn in the towel before hand due to the conference record. Winning out would be their only chance really
OAK/KC- If they get past the Jets, this could be interesting, if not. They are out of it
PIT/CIN- If Pitt gets through their own little crucible, it isnt over. Getting past Balt CLE and Miami is no easy task for a team that started out so ugly. Well, even with 3 wins, lets ust say, there is no way they get that far and this one too. No way in hell is Pitt gonna come out of week 15 with an 8-6 record.
BUF/JAX- If Buffalo is still alive after a non conference game, and their bye week, this one could fluff the resume a bit
SD/DEN- At this point, San Diego should be cooked and finished if not already
TEN BALT & CLE out of conference

Week 16 (Top Wildcard team 8-6, again, very likely 7-7)
Mia/BUF- critical game. Even at 7-7, and Miami won the important 2, Jets& PIT, this one is just as critical, Win this, get to 8 wins, and wait for the final week showdown. Buffalo may be still alive this late in the year
Jets/Cle- Must win for the Jets. No questions asked, they are too far behind in the coference records, even if they won 3 of the last 4, 8-6 with 6 conference losses is just not good enough, they need to pull ahead to 9 wins if they want in.
Oak/SD- both should be gone by now
Ten/JAX- good chance for a win, but should be out of it by now
Balt/NE- This game will only matter if Baltimore won 3 of its last 4. Going in at 7-7, they can make noise, if the go 2-2 over the last 4 weeks, this won't matter
Pitt out of conference

Week 17 (Top Wildcard 9-6, more than likely 8-7)
Last week scenarios are what they are.... we'll get to it when it happens, but very realistically, there may only be 3 teams left in the chase here. and the Miami/Jets game will determine SOMETHING, and if we know the NFL, it probably will be flexed to primetime, being the last game of the regular season. Especially if both teams are 8-7 or 7-8

Again, lots of variables.... but that being said... 8-8 may be good enough to get in. There is a lot of in conference games to play. And with the middle of the pack being so tight and incomplete. There will be alot of jockeying for position.....

Miami is 5-5. 6 games to go. 3 biggest wins: Pittsburgh, NYJ, and NYJ, throw in the Buffalo game for safety, finish out 9-7, Miami should get in. 8-8 with those 3 wins may get us in as well.

4-2 the rest of the way with losses to carolina and new england, we'll live.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:07 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

i think we finish 8-8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:40 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Could come down to the last game of the season, jets @ Dolphins.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:52 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Kinda gotta assume it will barring any major meltdowns....

Geno smith has gotten benched twice in 3 weeks.... They win one, lose one... If they lose 2 in a row, and head into the first game with Miami, their season would be wrecked if they lose to Miami the first time...(5-7)

Our season will definitely come down to the Jets game. Lets just hope we are 8-7 before it goes down. Could be a 2008 like finale except in Miami (and I was at that one. Glorious times, and was my wife's first dolphins game)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:13 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Good post SkyHigh314! I agree with most of that. the way carolina is playing is great but we should pull that off. I think we go 3-3 also. wins Car, Jets, and Steelers. losses Jets, Bills and Pats. My optimistic side is we go 9-7.

We are such an unpredictable team we could easily go 5-1 down the stretch or implode and go 1-5. The Steelers, Panthers are playing better than they were early on. Jets and Bills are like us, sometimes good, sometime bad. And the Pats are just better coached than we are. Except for last year, we always play them tough at home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There's a better chance we beat the Pats at home than the Jets in NY.

I think we lose to Carolina, Pitt, NE and NY away, beat Buffalo and NY at home. 7-9 again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phins Rock wrote:
There's a better chance we beat the Pats at home then the Jets in NY.

I think we lose to Carolina, Pitt, NE and NY away, beat Buffalo and NY at home. 7-9 again.

That equals house cleaning come January...well pretty much anything short of 9-7 is a house cleaning.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:54 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

That equals house cleaning come January...well pretty much anything short of 9-7 is a house cleaning.

Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not sure I see a win on the schedule for Miami for a while. SD was the easiest game left. Maybe Buffalo and NY Week 16/17. That might be it.

Sunday is a trap game for Carolina. However, they're too physical on both sides for Miami, and Newton will eat our LB's alive. That's a loss.

NY is a real good team at home, and their DL will be on Tannehill all day. Should be a close game, but probably another loss to go to 5-7.

Pittsburgh away and NE at home are toss ups. If Steelers continue improving that'll be a tough game, although we match-up OK against them. NE's history in Miami in December is well documented.

We always seem to split the Bills. So they'll find a way to win that game. NY at home is a toss up. Depends on circumstances.

7-9 or 8-8 I think.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:37 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think we take at least one if not both from New York.....
Mistakes kill the Jets more than they kill the Phins if that can be believed. Geno is more turnover prone than Tannehill. Santonio can be covered by Grimes. Ivory can be shut down. Tight Ends and they dont have Keller no more, his replacement isnt a Dolphin killer.... I am no where near saying the Phins will move the ball with ease. But if the Offense can get 14 points, the Defense should get the rest and we beat them 21-16 ish. We are better than them, everywhere except the OLine v DLine matchup

Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh.
I want that game bad. I hope we take it. They've been looking better, but their defense is old as garbage, and Ben is not the same guy he used to be. Shut down Brown and their entire offense stalls. Grimes on Brown, again, I like our chances. Lets just hope the weather doesnt kill the short passing game, because it should be there all game.

Carolina.
The defense NEEDS to keep us in that one. Their defense is good, so we need to shut down their offense. I see this one being a 19-13 type game. Newton can make boneheaded mistakes, but our O does too many 3 and outs, Newton will make something happen with a short field

Buffalo
I would like to think we could beat them once in a 2 year stretch. Who knows??!?!

New England
Unless we play the game of the season, I can not see us pulling the upset. Brady will have to throw 2 picks, and that running game will have to put up less than 80 yards..... Brady threw for 17 yards, worst half of his career, and they still found a way to win

Take both from the Jets and the Pitt game, throw in the Buffalo game, 4-2..... 9-7 overall, 8-4 in conference will get us into the playoffs, no doubts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:16 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

God...... We are a desperate lot. We havent won an important or meaningful game in years. When the chips are down and it really matters like an AFC east game in December......... There is no way this current organization can win. They have already blown 17 point leads when there was less pressure.

How in good Gods green earth can Miami not blow any meaningful game based on what we've seen?

Not making the playoffs means the players can enjoy 15 thousand dollar per person Vegas trips much sooner than if they win. Thanks to the drama fest we know their priorities.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:44 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Beat a crap Buffalo team at home, beat a crap Baltimore team at home and hold a 17-point lead at New England and we're talking first round bye, not a .500 record... Effing A.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:59 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phins Rock wrote:
jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Fingers crossed.

I think a lot more comes with that than a lot of us realize. Can a new coach make the current players work or will he and the new GM be brining in new groceries? Do they get rid of big contracts and endure cap room purgatory? Do they start over at QB or make it the dreaded competition with a guy of their choosing? Could go on and on.

I'd like to think they can make the current roster work with a few tweaks but we've seen the roster gutted how many times since 2005?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:01 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I don't know about you guys. But I actually like the direction we are headed.... Sherman will be gone soon, no doubt about that..... that being said, whomever Philbin puts at OC will take the training wheels off of Tannehill and this offense will really ignite.

Coyle, I have absolutely no problem with his scheme. They are creating more turnovers this year, and the most by the Phins since 2008. They are top third of the league in sacks, and thats with Wake missing time. and they are top third in scoring defense. I know, we all expected better, but We changed our ENTIRE LB corps, and that seems to be the blood line of Coyles double A gap Defense.

Point being said. Miami is a more explosive, and creative team than it was in 2012... And for that matter, this is a team that is at least as dangerous as the 2008 wildcat gimmick team.... Its been 5 years of dink and dunk, Henne and company.... needing 12 play drives to yield TDs. They actually punch it in if the get a goal-to-go scenario... And there were considerable NEW PIECES added.

I repeat. I like the direction. Im sorry we dont all have enough patience to watch it develop. Year 3 we will know if Tannehill is an Elite QB (or one in the making). Year 2 with Wallace, hopefully an entire offseason together can develop chemistry. Year 2 of Miller as a lead back, Year 3 of Clay, and he broke out.... the offense needs to gel... we knew it would take time, well hold fast to that idea. The defense is still gelling too, Ellerbe is a full time 3 down starter for the first time in his career. Wheeler has been on what 3 teams, he needs to settle in. Patience, I am preaching Patience...

This is a better team than the 2008 team.... mostly because of Ireland building it. They can only get better

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:38 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

SkyHigh314 wrote:
I don't know about you guys. But I actually like the direction we are headed.... Sherman will be gone soon, no doubt about that..... that being said, whomever Philbin puts at OC will take the training wheels off of Tannehill and this offense will really ignite.

Coyle, I have absolutely no problem with his scheme. They are creating more turnovers this year, and the most by the Phins since 2008. They are top third of the league in sacks, and thats with Wake missing time. and they are top third in scoring defense. I know, we all expected better, but We changed our ENTIRE LB corps, and that seems to be the blood line of Coyles double A gap Defense.

Point being said. Miami is a more explosive, and creative team than it was in 2012... And for that matter, this is a team that is at least as dangerous as the 2008 wildcat gimmick team.... Its been 5 years of dink and dunk, Henne and company.... needing 12 play drives to yield TDs. They actually punch it in if the get a goal-to-go scenario... And there were considerable NEW PIECES added.

I repeat. I like the direction. Im sorry we dont all have enough patience to watch it develop. Year 3 we will know if Tannehill is an Elite QB (or one in the making). Year 2 with Wallace, hopefully an entire offseason together can develop chemistry. Year 2 of Miller as a lead back, Year 3 of Clay, and he broke out.... the offense needs to gel... we knew it would take time, well hold fast to that idea. The defense is still gelling too, Ellerbe is a full time 3 down starter for the first time in his career. Wheeler has been on what 3 teams, he needs to settle in. Patience, I am preaching Patience...

This is a better team than the 2008 team.... mostly because of Ireland building it. They can only get better

You are the anti-Omar Kelly and it is a bit refreshing to read. I like your optimism and hope it comes true.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:57 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Well, someone has to get the 6th seed.....

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]