Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
 Post subject: Don't Look Now
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:17 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Was just checking ESPN for stats....

Miami is 10th in Sacks..... TOP TEN

Miami is the 12th best scoring defense at 22.5 points per game. TOP THIRD!

And 14th in Takeaways.... TOP HALF

Just thought I'd mention some positives....

Post subject: Re: Don't Look Now
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:44 am 
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

and Tannehill is pretty much the 12th overall quarterback across the board.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:07 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I'm glad to see others posting about the fact we have had every chance in the world to be 9-1, and even the Saints game, although ending bad, we held tough in the first half, not to mention no Wake. A tough test against the Panthers this week. I wonder what the vibe at ESPN and NFL Network will be like if we win. All of a sudden I have a feeling the victories against Indy, and Cincinnati will be mentioned about how we are capable of winning big games. Grimes has been great this year. And I hope that Dimitri Patterson is healthy, because he is playing great when he is in as well. A lot better than Nolan Carroll. I feel like we don't force enough pressure throughout the game. It was nice to get the 4th quarter sacks, but, it would be nice to get one on a 3rd down where we have been bad. The future is in our hands. We aren't out in the East.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:55 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:

He's 22nd in rating, 23rd in YPA, and 7th most interceptions of any QB. That isn't factoring in sacks and fumbles.

I think he could be better than some of the guys currently ahead of him but let's not pretend he's a top 15 QB just yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

DanRambo wrote:
I'm glad to see others posting about the fact we have had every chance in the world to be 9-1, and even the Saints game, although ending bad, we held tough in the first half, not to mention no Wake. A tough test against the Panthers this week. I wonder what the vibe at ESPN and NFL Network will be like if we win. All of a sudden I have a feeling the victories against Indy, and Cincinnati will be mentioned about how we are capable of winning big games. Grimes has been great this year. And I hope that Dimitri Patterson is healthy, because he is playing great when he is in as well. A lot better than Nolan Carroll. I feel like we don't force enough pressure throughout the game. It was nice to get the 4th quarter sacks, but, it would be nice to get one on a 3rd down where we have been bad. The future is in our hands. We aren't out in the East.

This team was winning just about every game minus the Saints and Ravens. To be honest, there isn't any reason they can't win 5 of 6 down the stretch. I know they won't, but they have the talent to do so and the competition isn't that stiff. Even NE is beatable. I don't see them beating Carolina because the the defense is too tough and Miami won't contain Newton (he'll have 100 yards rushing).

If Miami and Philbin want to make a statement here is their chance. Get hot, make the playoffs and put your offense in position to score points. The defense, while underachieving, can do enough to keep games close.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:28 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If the Defense can hold Carolina to 16 points, this game is very winnable. No turnovers by the offense. It can be done!

There offense is not that good. Newton makes silly throws..... and we are fast enough to contain him. They dont have nearly enough weapons to scare anyone. Hold their O to 16, and we can take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
If the Defense can hold Carolina to 16 points, this game is very winnable. No turnovers by the offense. It can be done!

There offense is not that good. Newton makes silly throws..... and we are fast enough to contain him. They dont have nearly enough weapons to scare anyone. Hold their O to 16, and we can take it.

Wow, you're not easily dismissive of a tough 7-3 team at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:44 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:

Wow, you're not easily dismissive of a tough 7-3 team at all.

Agree or not, sometimes its nice to read something positive. Haven't been able to see a lot of that lately with the losing and Martin sideshow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:18 pm 
2016 Thursday Blog Writer

I don't see Carolina winning by a ton but here's my 2 cents.

Will Coyle have a plan for his man-2-man defense when Cam takes off running. Essentially the Patriots lost that game last night because they had no answer for Newton. The Patriots defense missed so many tackles I thought Miami was playing. I just don't have confidence that Coyle is going to adjust anything he does based on the offense.

On the positive side, the quick throw offense is geared toward a Tampa-2 style of defense. The Panther's Defense crowds the LOS and they get good push with their front 4. If Miami attacks out of the shotgun with their quick throw offense I can see them putting up their customary 22 points.

So the game will hinge upon whether the Dolphins Defense can do something they've not done in quite awhile...stop the run. The Panther's have a great running game supplemented by the escapability of Sir Isaac. If Coyle were smart he would give the often overmatched Wheeler a shot at redemption this week. His entire job...spying Cam Newton.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Agree or not, sometimes its nice to read something positive. Haven't been able to see a lot of that lately with the losing and Martin sideshow.

Hard for me to take the comments seriously when they included the blurb that the Carolina offense sucks.

Let's see here:

Carolina
15th in pts/g
22nd in yards/g

Miami
24th in pts/g
31st in yards/g

If their offense sucks, what does that make ours? That's why I don't get the dismissive nature. They have a three-pronged RB attack that you know they're going to focus on in this game. They're currently ranked 10th in yards, 10th in TD's, and 18th in YPC (4.0). With the way our run defense has performed lately, it's going to be no "easy" feat to contain them.

We don't currently feature some wild homefield advantage. This game will very likely be like many of the others ...... close to the vest and physical. If we can't control their front four though, foret about it. This is squad on a curent 6 game heater of a win streak with two major quality wins back-to-back @SF and last night vs. NE. They're hot at the right time and we're still the same team we've been all season.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:

If Coyle were smart he would give the often overmatched Wheeler a shot at redemption this week. His entire job...spying Cam Newton.

Then who do you leave Greg Olsen 1-on-1 with?

I woud never pin such a key to success onto such a poor defensive player. They're going to run right at that guy all game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:58 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

I'm hoping Carolina shows up thinking this is a gimme game and gets surprised. Let me reinforce the word "hope."

Just "hope" Newton is too cocky and throws a couple picks, and that Tannehill sticks to short throws to move the offense. They should tell Tannehill to plan on scrambling A LOT.

I see Miami struggling to run the ball similar to the TB game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:58 pm 

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

If Coyle were smart he would give the often overmatched Wheeler a shot at redemption this week. His entire job...spying Cam Newton.

Then who do you leave Greg Olsen 1-on-1 with?

I woud never pin such a key to success onto such a poor defensive player. They're going to run right at that guy all game.

Jones had his best game against Gronk a few weeks back. He was singled up on him all game. I'd do the same here. Grimes and Jones in man, Wheeler on Newton and the rest in zone. Why he has 2 LBs in the game when Miami is in a prevent is still a mystery to me. It is just stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:02 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Jones had his best game against Gronk a few weeks back. He was singled up on him all game. I'd do the same here. Grimes and Jones in man, Wheeler on Newton and the rest in zone. Why he has 2 LBs in the game when Miami is in a prevent is still a mystery to me. It is just stupid.

Going to need Reshad in run support.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:10 pm 

If he is singled up on Olson, he can be near the LOS for run support as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

They only get points because they are non conventional.... their #1 receiver is 5'8... Grimes should win that matchup easily!!! Their big money RB is not worth his contract, Stewart is injury prone, and Cam makes dumb mistakes..... For all is said and done, the Michael Vick offenses of old in Atlanta had always put up top thrid numbers..... but thats all they ever did! QB rushing yardage is chunk yardage and it really inflates the stats..

Carolina has scored 238.... Miami has 215..... Their largest score was 38 against the dysfunctional Giants...

Heres who Car has beaten... NYG, MIN, STL, TB, ATL, SF and NE.... they lost to ARZ, SEA, and BUF

Come on, really. If you want to crown them the most dangerous team in football, go right ahead. It took until Week 11 to actually beat a playoff team!!!! (San Fran and Arz are gonna battle for the wildcard in the west, so San Fran isnt even all that great this year)

Quality Wins... Miami has 2: Indianapolis and Cincinnati, both teams are division leaders..... The only division leader Carolina has beaten is New England.... and yes I'll admit there probably was defensive holding on that last play last night, but Im happy it wasnt called.

Are the Panthers hot right now? Sure. Why not? Are they gonna be playing on the road.... yea. Has Carolina ever beaten the Dolphins???? the answer is NO they have never beaten the Phins.....

3 out of the 10 games Carolina has played, they have been held to 10 points or less. And twice they lost. Hold them under 17 points, and we CAN win, with a clean turnover free game

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:27 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

the biggest thing for me for our Phins to be successful is blocking. We need blocking. Run blocking, pass blocking, you name it we need it. Thank God Tannehill is young and can take the hits that he has, but even that is going to run out after a while. We can't keep giving up sacks like we have been.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:49 pm 
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

He's 22nd in rating, 23rd in YPA, and 7th most interceptions of any QB. That isn't factoring in sacks and fumbles.

I think he could be better than some of the guys currently ahead of him but let's not pretend he's a top 15 QB just yet.

i saw that he's 12th in yards and TD's for quarterbacks, and PFF had him rated 7th in their formula.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:55 pm 
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

i saw that he's 12th in yards and TD's for quarterbacks, and PFF had him rated 7th in their formula.

All I know is he is one tough son of a gun.

He's the most sacked QB in the NFL, but he keeps playing as if the sacks didn't happen. He has taken so much punishment this season but hasn't missed a snap. If you had told me he had been sacked this much, I would say by now he would be on IR.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm 
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Rich I think we as Dolphins fans are quick to pick apart Tannehill's every weakness and mistake....but when you step back and compare him to the field of quarterbacks in this league he's actually one of the better QB's around. Easily 2nd best in the AFC East. There is only 11 or 12 quarterbacks in the entire NFL that i would want right now over this guy moving forward. I've never felt that way about Chad Henne.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:37 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Rich wrote:
All I know is he is one tough son of a gun.

He's the most sacked QB in the NFL, but he keeps playing as if the sacks didn't happen. He has taken so much punishment this season but hasn't missed a snap. If you had told me he had been sacked this much, I would say by now he would be on IR.

No disagreement there. Mentally and physically the guy never looks rattled, despite taking a beating.

I was quite surprised at how highly he was ranked by PFF and with regard to the interceptions, half of them have come in late game/hopeless situations.

Miami has scored 20 points or more in all but 2 games, which has to be the best since 2008.

I've been giving the kid a lot of guff lately but he still has some promise to be "the guy." If he can get hot down the stretch, deliver some wins and put up good numbers then we can all feel a lot better heading into next year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:43 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The guy doesnt feel rattled because even if he gets hurt, nurse lauren will let him do the motorboat on the living room sofa when he gets home! LOL

No seriously, Ryan is EXACTLY what this team needs going forward. Hes calm, cool and collected, and he has some swagger too. Hopefully going into next year, that swagger will turn into a hungry win at all cost fire..... but for now, i am content with the fact that our quarterback is finally composed and focused, its been more than a decade

And we can say Pennington was an exception, but Pennington got rattled a little bit. Especially if he threw picks in the first half, his throws were never the same after that....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
They only get points because they are non conventional.... their #1 receiver is 5'8... Grimes should win that matchup easily!!! Their big money RB is not worth his contract, Stewart is injury prone, and Cam makes dumb mistakes..... For all is said and done, the Michael Vick offenses of old in Atlanta had always put up top thrid numbers..... but thats all they ever did! QB rushing yardage is chunk yardage and it really inflates the stats..

What does height have to do with success? Grimes isn't exactly a tall man himself.

In 2011, Smith vs. the Falcons had: 6rec/55yards & 6rec/125yards
In 2010, Smith vs. the Falcons had: 2rec/17 yards (did not play a 2nd game)
In 2009, Smith vs. Falcons had: 2rec/34yards & 8rec/131 yards)

As far as their running game, contracts have nothing to do with this conversation and neither does this idea that Cam inflates the stats. They're 10th in the league rushing, 10th in TD's, and 18th at 4.0 ypc. Hate to break it to you but that's part of Cam's skill sets i.e. running the ball. He's a dual threat QB. Teams have to gameplan for it. Then they have 3 capable RB's on the roster and if our defense ends up on the field too long, they're going to get gassed.

Quote:
Carolina has scored 238.... Miami has 215..... Their largest score was 38 against the dysfunctional Giants...

OK and our best game is 27pts vs. an Atlanta squad that's a walking M.A.S.H unit. So what's your point?

Quote:
Heres who Car has beaten... NYG, MIN, STL, TB, ATL, SF and NE.... they lost to ARZ, SEA, and BUF

Come on, really. If you want to crown them the most dangerous team in football, go right ahead. It took until Week 11 to actually beat a playoff team!!!! (San Fran and Arz are gonna battle for the wildcard in the west, so San Fran isnt even all that great this year)

Nobody's crowning them "the most dangerous team in football". I'm arguing against how naively dismissive you are of them and your flare for exaggeration.

Quote:
Quality Wins... Miami has 2: Indianapolis and Cincinnati, both teams are division leaders..... The only division leader Carolina has beaten is New England.... and yes I'll admit there probably was defensive holding on that last play last night, but Im happy it wasnt called.

There you go again discrediting. The 49'ers are a playoff bound team and they count as a quality win, especially for Carolina having done it on the road.

Quote:
Are the Panthers hot right now? Sure. Why not? Are they gonna be playing on the road.... yea. Has Carolina ever beaten the Dolphins???? the answer is NO they have never beaten the Phins.....

3 out of the 10 games Carolina has played, they have been held to 10 points or less. And twice they lost. Hold them under 17 points, and we CAN win, with a clean turnover free game

This conversation was never about can we win. Clearly by our body of work we're competitive. It was about how quick you were to dismiss a 7-3 team getting hot at the right time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:33 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ok, I am not dismissing them at all. I definitely think this will be a dog fight, and hell Miami may lose.

But, yea I do mean to show that the Carolina Offense is not that good. Am I saying they are the 2000 Ravens with a stellar defense and a garbage offense. NO I am not.

What I merely am saying is that out of 10 games theyve been held to 10 or less points three times, and lost 2 of them. They have won 2 meaningful games, (and yea I will say only one playoff team, because San Francisco is not in yet. New England will be, but as it stands right now, its a 4 way dogfight between Arizona, Carolina, Chicago, and SF. SF is not playoff bound yet, and if Kaep keeps throwing for less than 120 yards a game, they definitely wont be in there).

Furthermore, Carolina has 65 points this season directly off Turnovers... 4th in the league. Miami has 38 which is 25th in the league...... remember that differential I quoted before, Carolina has scored 23 more points on the season than Miami..... well they've also scored 27 more points off of turnovers than Miami has....

So in theory, I am basically saying that Carolina's offense is about as good as Miami if you eliminate what each teams defenses have done to assist. And I personally don['t think our offense is very good at all. So by connecting the dots, Carolinas offense sucks just as bad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:38 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Intentionally shifting gears here. Did anyone see Mike Wallace's comments today?

If you recall Sherman praised him for the San Diego game, basically for opening up short to medium throws by drawing away the defense. When told of this Wallace said it was not praise worthy, only had 39 yards.

I'm not sure how interpret this. Is this a guy who is just mad because he felt he could do more or is he mad because the stats aren't where he wants them to be. He was also very "short" when addressing questions about his chemistry with Tannehill.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:50 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He seems to be a strange one to put a finger on. I think he's trying to say the right thing..... but i think he is really just pissed off that his stats arent where he thinks they should be (whether due to his contract responsibility or just his alpha male #1 receiver mentality).

Its gotta be frustrating for the guy seeing that he is a deep threat specialist, and him and T-Hill cant seem to find a rythmn. Theres only been 1 or 2 plays where theyve connected over 20 yards.... And it seems like they've been alternating the misfires one week its too deep cause Wallace had to slow down, one week its way underthrown...

I don't think we'll see a happy and bubbly Wallace via interview until one of two things happen.... a 35+ yard TD deep ball, or Miami clinches a playoff berth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

SkyHigh314 wrote:
He seems to be a strange one to put a finger on. I think he's trying to say the right thing..... but i think he is really just pissed off that his stats arent where he thinks they should be (whether due to his contract responsibility or just his alpha male #1 receiver mentality).

Its gotta be frustrating for the guy seeing that he is a deep threat specialist, and him and T-Hill cant seem to find a rythmn. Theres only been 1 or 2 plays where theyve connected over 20 yards.... And it seems like they've been alternating the misfires one week its too deep cause Wallace had to slow down, one week its way underthrown...

I don't think we'll see a happy and bubbly Wallace via interview until one of two things happen.... a 35+ yard TD deep ball, or Miami clinches a playoff berth

Obviously he is upset because of his stats. I mean, he is a guy who has already been introduced into stardom and he adored being adored, but now he isn't, and he doesn't like it. Give Tannehill some more time to throw and the deep ball will be more present. We are establishing more threats on offense so double teaming Wallace isn't always the first option anymore. The best play Wallace runs on this offense so far is the quick screen pass, and we only ran it once when Wallace went absolutely no where this week because it NEEDS the linemen to block and the coaches don't have trust in them. It's hard to feel bad for the guy when he makes so much money and doesn't do much but aside from his drops, he has had some nice catches, and some explosive plays. Why not run the end around with Wallace and not just Thigpen? Speaking of Thigpen, our return game has disappointing lately. Why not try out Gillislee back there...maybe even Lamar Miller. But back on to Wallace, he can be a great receiver, he knows it, his teammates and coaches know it, we just need better plays to get him involved and not just the long pass. It doesn't look like he is having any fun...let's let him have some dang fun out there and then WATCH the results. Hell, we could even use Wallace as a kick returner! Why not?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:54 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

$12 million dollar return man..... that sounds like a great way to get a coach fired if he got hurt....

Just like putting your #3 overall pick as a special teams artist...

Probably too much liability to consider Wallace as a returner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:45 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I understand injury concerns, it's just a shame that the creativity isn't better around the plays we use with him. I honestly like Coach Philbin. I think Sherman needs to make better play calls. Slants pretty much rule our offense and it works a few times but after they know it's coming interceptions get thrown. How do you feel about Thigpen though? He has made plays before but it seems like they are rare plays.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 am 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

DanRambo wrote:
I understand injury concerns, it's just a shame that the creativity isn't better around the plays we use with him. I honestly like Coach Philbin. I think Sherman needs to make better play calls. Slants pretty much rule our offense and it works a few times but after they know it's coming interceptions get thrown. How do you feel about Thigpen though? He has made plays before but it seems like they are rare plays.

I wish Thigpen was on the field more often for 3rd downs as the check down option.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:10 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think we are going to be seeing alot more of Thigpen in the next 6 games. It only makes sense. Matthews broke out, and they had to run the hot hand a bit and see if it was gonna sustain. But at this point, I think the Dolphins will be filling the slot role with both Matthews and Thigpen in the absence of Gibson.
I would expect that Thigpen will get on the field more if we run 4 wide, with a blocking TE and no tailback at points, knowing that he can motion back into the RB position, and take an "end around" motion hand off.
Either way. I think due to Gibson's injury, Thiggy will get more playing time, and hopefully sooner rather than later

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:31 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I wish Thigpen was on the field more often for 3rd downs as the check down option.[/quote]

That's not a bad idea. I have seen Miller line up as a receiver but he doesn't usually get much action thrown his way. There are all sorts of plays the staff could come up with to get different people involved in different areas and times of the game. I think Wallace needs to get the end around too. If it works like the one Thigpen ran, I'd imagine Wallace to have a more explosive play.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

problem is you wont see the Wallace end around, until they start putting Wallace in motion.... I think they tried a Wallace end around one game early in the season, and it got blown up for a 2 yard loss.... Wallace is practically never in motion prior to the snap, hence you cant send an end around with him unless you set it up with a couple pre snap motions or else it will be telegraphed.... I think it worked with Thigpen and possibly Miller because they are RBs, motioning back to the back field pre snap.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:04 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Valid point, but to completely shy away from doing so is a mistake, in my opinion, since I have seen the WR end around work around the league. The key to making it work is to run the same motion without Wallace getting the ball. Same reason why Tebow went no where in NY, or why the wildcat gets pounced on.....too predictable if ran incorrectly. Especially at this point in the year, teams would have a harder time predicting it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:11 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Your absolutely correct..... But then it all falls back on the coaching then. And I really believe there is way more to the story than what is on the surface. Wallace is having a hard time with just the Z position. I dont think hes ready to learn the X or the Y yet, hence he can't be motioned into one of them yet. We have been b$tching and whining about the fact the 95% of the time he is lined up on the right side split end position. Its probably a Ochocinco situation. He's there because he hasn't learned the rest of it yet. Hopefully this offseason going into year 2 he will learn more of this offense and be ready to be motioned around, or at least lined up elsewhere. So if all he can do is the Z, we can't motion him..... and think about it. If Miami were to motion him across the offense as a decoy, he would be running a partial route, which will probably be a lateral route, and his route will NOT be stretching the field for the rest of the team, and taking away from his best asset of this team, making space for everyone else...... So run a set up motion play to Wallace barring him ineffective, and condensing the field for the rest of the offense, all this to set up an end around to Wallace that may or may not give chunk yardage? To me, that sounds like 3rd and Long written all over it, and Sherman calls enough bad calls to put Miami in 3rd and long enough.

Hopefully Next year, Wallace can be used in more varieties, once he grasps Philbin/Sherman's offense more

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:29 pm 
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

SkyHigh314 wrote:
$12 million dollar return man..... that sounds like a great way to get a coach fired if he got hurt....

Just like putting your #3 overall pick as a special teams artist...

Probably too much liability to consider Wallace as a returner

you might want to look around the league and see some of the stars/important players that play special teams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Hopefully Next year, Wallace can be used in more varieties, once he grasps Philbin/Sherman's offense more

Keyword "grasp" .....

This is just me personally, but judging by what I've seen of him in interviews and his efforts out on the field ...... but I don't see this guy ever becoming a route running savant, diagnosing coverages with the flair of the greats. This man made a name for himself with his blazing speed in an offense where his QB consistently extended plays.

This is not that offense. You either get him mismatched right off the LOS or hit him deep if you can (which Tanny has proven unable), but that's it. Wallace probably thinks the route tree has apples and oranges on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

you know, I was wondering.... here me out here.

What would happen if we lined Wallace up in a 2 back split set as a RB. Having T Hill under center, Miller on the left offset, and Wallace on the right offset. They could both run swing-out patterns, and Wallace should get either a nickel corner or an OLB on him as long as there is a flanker on both sides. Matthews can play the right side split end and run a flag pattern, and Hartline stays on the left and runs whatever.... TE to block, probably Simms as a blocker... and it would be a 4 route play...

Wallace has enough speed to come out of the backfield with a head of steam, and can burn his match up, and the play itself would probably be in the 10-15 yard range where T-hill actually has pretty good accuracy. And even then, Hartline would be available on the curl, and Matthews can play the deep threat, with Miller as a safety valve

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]