Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stout Soliai
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think it would be tough to lose Soliai as he becomes a free agent at the end of the season. I cannot imagine how bad our run defense would be without him.

Quote:
Stout Soliai

Miami’s defensive line has played well throughout the season with defensive tackle Paul Soliai playing the role of run-stopping nose tackle. He was at it again Sunday finishing at +4.4 for the day including +3.7 against the run. He tied with a number of players for a team-high three stops, but he did so on only 15 run snaps while creating disruption throughout the game. Even when he didn’t find his name on the stat sheet, he redirected runs toward his teammates as he did on back-to-back running plays early in the fourth quarter. Soliai got involved as a pass rusher as well, picking up a hurry and a hit on his 18 rushes. The seventh-year defensive tackle is now grading at +10.9 on the season including +7.8 against the run.

PFF DT ratings.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/

Post subject: Re: Stout Soliai
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:15 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Someone tell me how the run defense sux so bad? If our DTs are diong their jobs....wth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

NFLJunkie wrote:
Someone tell me how the run defense sux so bad? If our DTs are diong their jobs....wth

Seems like it is one or the other. They get a tackle behind the line of scrimmage or a key sack, but then turn around and allow a 15 yard run.

Now that I think about it, it is very inconsistent...like pretty much every other part of the team.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:39 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:

LB play.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

LB play.

I didn't want to say that but then it begs why. My thoughts are simple...this defense is geared toward stopping the pass and that's why the LB's were brought here to start with. So our LBs suck at defending the pass and the run...or is it scheme? BTW..anyone else hate the telegraphed blitz package? I think Coyle might be the last guy in the stadium to realize the offense knows it is coming and has a play designed to beat it for 20yds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:34 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

LB play.

I didn't want to say that but then it begs why. My thoughts are simple...this defense is geared toward stopping the pass and that's why the LB's were brought here to start with. So our LBs suck at defending the pass and the run...or is it scheme? BTW..anyone else hate the telegraphed blitz package? I think Coyle might be the last guy in the stadium to realize the offense knows it is coming and has a play designed to beat it for 20yds.

I still say it is scheme.

Last season, this defense was giving up 132 yards per game over the last 8 games of the season despite a healthy defensive line and with Dansby and Burnett here.

And when you look at the success Wheeler and Ellerbe had in different systems prior to coming here (they were rated about as high as Burnett and Dansby), I have to believe they are not being utilized to their strengths.

Go back and look at the Bucs game as an example and pay attention to how many times Wheeler had to cover Vincent Jackson in the slot.

That screams of a poor scheme. An OLB should never be covering Vincent Jackson.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:36 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

LB play.

Yep.

These are the players playing VERY poorly for the Dolphins this year:

OLB Phillip Wheeler
ILB Dannelle Ellerbe
S Rashad Jones

S Chris Clemons and OLB Koa Misi are playing well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

[/quote]

Yep.

These are the players playing VERY poorly for the Dolphins this year:

OLB Phillip Wheeler
ILB Dannelle Ellerbe
S Rashad Jones[/quote]

I wouldn't say they are playing VERY poorly at all.... i think the appropriate term would be inconsistent...

Ellerbe has had injury issues... Ellerbe has had a couple good games this season. Jones has been playing inconsistent as well, but has also put together a few big plays. Wheeler is another issue altogether, he over pursues and misses tackles

With the aggressive scheme, all the pieces need to be more in sync with each other, or the scheme is suspect to being gashed. I think this is more of a risk-reward circumstance. Dansby and Burnett were consistently average, and the defense was less aggressive..... yielding better numbers but less game changing plays. This year the LBs have been more aggressive, and there have been MORE game changing plays, but at the complete risk of giving up bigger plays and more yardage.

We were more comfortable with the consistency of Nolan's defense that held up better and caused more 3 and outs. We have switched to a defense that is more geared towards causing turnovers and taking bigger risks. As long as the red zone defense holds up to the standard, the strategies wash each other.

I am definitely more excited to see our DBs bringing in INTs this year, and more pressure blitz packages...... but it seems to have come at the expense of 10 or 15 yard rushes every other series.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]