PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:01 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
By Michelle Kaufman
mkaufman@ MiamiHerald.com

Dear Ted Wells,

Welcome to Miami.

You are here on an extremely difficult mission as the NFL-appointed investigator in charge of sorting out the mess in the Dolphins locker room. As a nationally respected, Harvard-educated attorney. You certainly are qualified to dig to the truth in the highly publicized, highly charged case of Dolphins linemen Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito.

I hope you find the truth. I really do. Because the national media, for the most part, is doing a shameful job of it, pouncing on rumors, half-truths and tiny lawyer-leaked tidbits and vilifying Incognito and the Dolphins with little perspective and without speaking to anybody in that locker room. ...

If the NFL’s aim is truly to change the culture of its workplace, to bring more class and dignity to the rowdy, sexist frat-house atmosphere of its locker rooms, then I say, “Great! It’s about time.”

But if the NFL’s aim in this investigation is to single out Dolphin players, coaches and executives and punish them for creating a hostile work environment, then the league is being unfair and wearing blinders because this behavior is not exclusive to the Dolphins, and it didn’t begin this year.

I have been a sportswriter for 27 years, and could fill your notebook with locker-room horror stories from all over the league. It is not a normal workplace. Not even close. It is 53 giant young men playing a violent sport, slamming their bodies into their opponents. When those men are bonding in the privacy of their locker room, their jokes and language would not sit well with anybody’s grandma.

Take any group of 53 guys — football players, lawyers, plumbers — put them in a room without women for eight months, and chances are ...

Will the NFL change for Jonathan Martin? Maybe it should, but I doubt it will. One thing is certain. This is not just about the Dolphins.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/19/3 ... wells.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:43 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

It will be nice when the Dolphins no longer have their own title on the ESPN sports ticker on the bottom of the TV screen. Everyday day its another harassment accusation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:54 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Take any group of 53 guys — football players, lawyers, plumbers — put them in a room without women for eight months, and chances are ...

Nice article. My hope is that this investigation nets nothing more than the culture of an NFL locker room that exists everywhere vs. the Dolphins being singled out as the ONLY team that uses cuss words and barks at their players. It is so hard to hold opinions back that Jonathan Martin is just a big whiney 315 pound puss, but I realize everything is still not all out on the table yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I hope Martin resumes his playing career for the patriots..... Then twice a year Belichick will be warning the referee's about potty mouth penalties which will give the Patsies 15 yard penalties in their favor for dropping a "yo Momma" joke....

We'll call it Bullygate part II, and all evidence will be destroyed post Super Bowl victory

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]