Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:52 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
BY ADAM BEASLEY
abeasley@MiamiHerald.com

Joe Philbin has a message for his young quarterback: “Just go out there and let it rip.”

Philbin delivered that advice to Ryan Tannehill on Tuesday, an indication that the team's inability to get Mike Wallace the ball deep is indeed an issue.

Tannehill has completed just 3 of 17 passes thrown to Wallace 20 yards or longer. That includes an underthrown pass down the left sideline Sunday against San Diego that would likely have gone for a touchdown.

Four of Tannehill's 11 interceptions this season have been on deep passes to Wallace.

“He's open,” Tannehill said Wednesday. “I've just got to throw it out there for him. That's two games in a row where he's been behind [the defense]. I've just got to trust it and let it rip.”

Part of the issue, Tannehill said, has been that Wallace has gotten too wide open, as counterintuitive as that seems.

“You sometimes tense up,” Tannehill said. “You don't want to overthrow him, so you end up underthrowing him.”

Wallace was open deep other times than that missed connection Sunday, Tannehill said. ...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/21/3 ... ouncy.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:00 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Some things are so obvious even the secretive men inside Stalog Dolphin have to admit to them. And the difficulty the entire NFL has witnessed Ryan Tannehill have throwing the deep ball since he joined the Miami Dolphins is one of those things.

Last year we saw Tannehill miss a wide open Brian Hartline a handful of times when the receiver was open deep behind defenders. This year, Tannehill is armed with dynamic deep threat receiver Mike Wallace. But 10 games into the season, Wallace's deepest catch went for 49 yards.

“The one the other day, let’s talk about the one the other day, that’s the most recent," coach Joe Philbin said Wednesday. "The guy is open, you have to get the ball to the receiver. You have to put a little more air under it so he doesn’t slow down and the DB doesn’t have a chance to break up the pass. It’s not that complicated, throwing the ball down the field.

I asked Tannehill if he's likely to take Philbin's advice and attack the situation differently this week.

"Yes, I think so," Tannehill said ...

This can go one of two directions now.

Tannehill, reined in for too long, can feel free and start playing rather than thinking. And we'll start to see his deep completion percentage improve.

Or.

Tannehill, despite given the freedom to rip it, simply hasn't the touch or deep ball accuracy that must be inate to a quarterback to be the launching point for a deep passing game. ...

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:56 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If Chad Henne can hit Ted Ginn with a deep pass on MNF then Tannehill and Wallace should be able to have at least 2-3 TDs before the season is over.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:04 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
If Chad Henne can hit Ted Ginn with a deep pass on MNF then Tannehill and Wallace should be able to have at least 2-3 TDs before the season is over.

Boy that was such a sweet feeling. I can still picture Henne cocking his arm back like it was in slow motion & then . . . Kaboom

You're right, Tanne should be able to get it to Wallace. Think it'll happen this week tho?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Steve Zissou wrote:
jammer wrote:

Boy that was such a sweet feeling. I can still picture Henne cocking his arm back like it was in slow motion & then . . . Kaboom

You're right, Tanne should be able to get it to Wallace. Think it'll happen this week tho?

I hope it does. But I only see it happening if the play action works and Tannehill can throw it on a rope, not the touch pass on a streak that requires timing.

For the play action to work you need to run the ball.

Reallistically I think we see the same thing as before, short and intermediate throws.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:30 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

So Philbin's solution to the problem is Tannehill farting?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
So Philbin's solution to the problem is Tannehill farting?

Might slow down the D-line's pursuit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:12 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

RT changes his throwing motion when he tries to put air on the ball on deep throws. He needs to take a page from Peyton Manning and just throw it. Quit trying to put touch on it. It is like golf...how many times have you tried to take a little off the shot and then proceed to hit it poorly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:45 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:
RT changes his throwing motion when he tries to put air on the ball on deep throws. He needs to take a page from Peyton Manning and just throw it. Quit trying to put touch on it. It is like golf...how many times have you tried to take a little off the shot and then proceed to hit it poorly.

I know thats right! You think about that smooth sweeping action too much and you just end up with a flub. Thats an interesting point about his motion. I'm going to watch for that now

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Philbin needs to lock Tannehill in a room with a 20 hour video reel of Aaron Rodgers game tape. That guy knows how to grip it and rip it. It's a thing of beauty.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]