View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Is Joe Philbin overprotecting Tannehill? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Is Joe Philbin overprotecting Tannehill?
Quote:
By James Walker | ESPN.com

DAVIE, Fla. -- A day later, I'm still trying to decode a statement from Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin regarding starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill. ...
Philbin was asked by Miami Herald reporter Armando Salguero Tuesday about Tannehill's inability to take over games. ...
Here was Philbin's response:

“Football is still a team game as far as I am concerned. I have never been around anybody that one person that can carry a football team. It takes 11 guys on offense, 11 guys on defense, 11 guys on special teams. I think [Tannehill] has had some very, very good games here, I anticipate that he will continue to do so. I have been coaching for 30 years, I have never seen one player win a game on his own.”

Philbin was then pressed by Salguero, who followed up by asking if Aaron Rodgers took over games when Philbin was offense coordinator with the Green Bay Packers?

“Not necessarily,” Philbin responded. ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -tannehill

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Is Joe Philbin overprotecting Tannehill?
They're definitely over-protecting him. The question is whether it's because they're micro-managing too hard or because of Tanny's limitations.

Btw, Philbin is out of his mind if he's never seen a player take over a game before.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:53 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He is not suited for the position

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:14 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I have never seen one player win a game on his own.”

Did he watch the Pats Broncos game? Did he watch Cam Newton on sunday on that last drive?

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:46 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Our best offense is usually right before the end of the half and right before the end of the game. I wish someone compiled stats on that. He has been very good in the 2 min drill. It would seem simple to take that kind of aggression and apply it to the rest of the gaem.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Our best offense is usually right before the end of the half and right before the end of the game. I wish someone compiled stats on that. He has been very good in the 2 min drill. It would seem simple to take that kind of aggression and apply it to the rest of the gaem.

We went into the hurry up to open the 2nd half...That didn't work.

Last edited by Kev1321 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The next 5 games present a good opportunity for Tannehill to silence critics. None of the opponents boast a top notch secondary, and two of them (Buffalo and NE) he threw multiple TDs against.

If the coaches are smart (insert laughter) they'll look at how Tannehill rolling out to his right produced big plays with both his arm and feet.

There is enough talent, both on offense and defense, to win 4 of the next 5. Tannehill should be able to produce 8-10 TD passes over that stretch (if used properly) and instill more confidence in the fan base that he is "the guy" moving forward.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
The next 5 games present a good opportunity for Tannehill to silence critics. None of the opponents boast a top notch secondary, and two of them (Buffalo and NE) he threw multiple TDs against.

If the coaches are smart (insert laughter) they'll look at how Tannehill rolling out to his right produced big plays with both his arm and feet..

He couldn`t stop the blirz from NE last time..Hopefully he has corrected that? On the run vs. the Panthers he threw a bad int in the 1st qtr. Twice in the opening drive of the 3rd he missed big plays on the run..One was an ugly miss to a wide open Wallace for a would be td. while in the no huddle.(the coaches tried an ajustment) Too many missed oppertunities..It`s costing wins.

Nothing but Mark Sanchez at this point.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:14 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
Nothing but Mark Sanchez at this point.

Not sure I'd go that far, but the missed opportunities are very troubling. If he had any semblance of a running game he'd be Alex Smith (yes, I realize that isn't overly inspiring).

I'm not predicting he'll do it, just saying that he has 5 games to silence the critics. He's not up against a complete, elite defense. He had successful moments against the Bills and Pats and needs to build on those.

I think he'll have a good game this weekend, even against the Jets pass rush. But I don't think it will be with Wallace since Cromartie will be all over him. I see Matthews and Clay having the big numbers.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:51 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
I have never seen one player win a game on his own.”

Did he watch the Pats Broncos game? Did he watch Cam Newton on sunday on that last drive?

I am pretty sure there were 11 players on the field for the Patriots when they were on defense.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]