View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Why we won't draft Spiller..... 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Why we won't draft Spiller.....
Okay, so the guy was on the squad last season, but a few posts around here encouraged me to do a little research on him. And what I found out was pretty interesting.

So without further ado, from a combination of scouting reports, and without my personal opinion one way or another, may I present....

Kory Sheets!
At A Glance
Position 1: Running Back Height: 5-11
Position 2: KR Weight: 208
Class: Sr/2009 Age: 25
Projected Round: 4th-5th 40time: 4.39
Combine/Proday Results
Bench Reps: 15 Vertical: 37
20yd Split: 2.57 Broad Jump: 10'1"
10yd Split: 1.44 20yd Shuttle: 4.39
3 Cone Drill: 7.18

Now, before you jump to any conclusions, let me tell you that I was very surprised when I started digging into this kid's story. While I had seen a 40 time generally listed for him at about 4.47, his actual combine time is listed at 4.39, with a low time of 4.32. Also, I had seen the one vid posted BigPuma23 in his Kory Sheets post, but it was just one play and didn't give me a real feel for how the kid comes out of the backfield. So I found one that show a bit more of his receiving skills, and his ability to follow blocks, as well as his flat out high gear to run away from would-be tacklers. That vid is posted below.

Let me just say, I am impressed with his ability, and am beginning to think that our own Triad might be inclined to use him as our return man this season, at the very least.

Star-divide

Kory Sheets was part of a three headed rushing attack for his first 3 seasons at Purdue, and finished out his career second on the school's record lists with 664 rushing attempts for 3,341 yards, 4,944 all-purpose yards and 324 points scored. He was only 1 of 3 players in Purdue history to top 3000 rushing yards. The other two? Mike Alstott and Otis Anderson.

Sheets capitalized on Jaycen Taylor's injury to handle the brunt of the rushing load for the first time in his career as a senior. Even though he led the team in rushing three consecutive seasons, the talented tailback was always part of the team's running back formation his first three campaigns.

He also established Purdue career marks with 48 rushing touchdowns and 54 overall scores, as his 54 total touchdowns tied Tyrone Wheatley of Michigan (1991-94) for fifth place in Big Ten Conference history.

Kory got on the bad side of his coach and team when, after a losing streak his senior year, he began to criticize the play calling and quarterbacking

With those numbers, you would think that Sheets would have been satisfied with his senior season, but it was a frustrating one, as the losses mounted. The tailback began voicing his concerns to the media, drawing the angst of the coaching staff. "If they don't have consistency at quarterback, and I'm being real consistent, I think they have to start looking at me for some answers and giving me the ball and let me carry the team, instead of keep putting it in (QB Curtis) Painter's hands."

Sheets exploded for 168 yards and two touchdowns in a 48-26 loss to Northwestern. However, after a four-game losing streak Sheets attacked Painter in the press. "If they want to ask more of me, they just have to put the ball in my hands a little bit more, and they're going to get a lot more out of me," Sheets said. "They put the ball in my hands, I feel we'll be a lot more successful." Sheets' outburst forced Tiller to ban his running back from meeting with the press the rest of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMwSSLrzSg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaxA7bmU ... re=related

Pros and Cons

Positives: Lanky build with the room for additional mass without a significant loss of quickness. Quick to the hole. Agile. Can make defenders miss in tight quarters. Quickly gets to top speed and can accelerate through a gap and to the second level. Patient runner who follows his blocks, but can stick his foot in the ground and explode through holes. Good speed for the stretch play. Good vision for the cutback. Despite a lack of prototypical bulk and leg drive, is an extraordinarily effective runner near the goal-line. Good hands out of the backfield. Experienced kick returner with the vision and speed to contribute immediately in this area. Four-year contributor who has never missed a game due to injury. Enjoyed a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl. Could have been hidden a bit by Purdue's reliance on the passing game and surprise at the next level.

Negatives: Lacks the bulk and lower leg drive necessary for grinding out the tough yards. Only had one season as the team's primary back. Operated out of a spread offense, and will likely be forced to acclimate to a more pro-style offense in the NFL. Marginal effectiveness as a pass blocker. Supplies good effort, but simply lacks the strength to hold up. Complained about the struggles of the rest of the Purdue offense -- specifically quarterback Curtis Painter -- to the press, forcing coach Joe Tiller to ban him from talking to the media at the end of 2008.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:33 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Why we won't draft Spiller.....
Is it just me or does there seem to be a bunch of these raw tallent guys that never see the field or need time to develop?

No offense, but Sheets, Turner, White, etc... Seems each member has hopes for a different guy..

I am going to get behind Grice-Mullens from here on out....

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Post Re: Why we won't draft Spiller.....
I liked the post, but as a Hurricane fan I proudly state that Otis Anderson went to the U.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]