View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 NFL.com's Ian Rapoport: "no one in Miami is safe" 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post NFL.com's Ian Rapoport: "no one in Miami is safe"
Quote:
According to including coach Joe Philbin and GM Jeff Ireland. This should be self evident after the Dolphins chocked away a certain playoff berth by losing to Thad Lewis and Geno Smith. Miami scored one touchdown over its final 25 possessions. In two years on the job, Philbin has been placid to the point of banal, while Ireland's "approach" remains as scattershot as ever. The duo's choice for offensive coordinator, Mike Sherman, calls plays seemingly at random. The Dolphins have a nice talent base, but a poor brain trust.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/417707156368920576

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: NFL.com's Ian Rapoport: "no one in Miami is safe"
Peter King wrote:
Miami sounded Sunday night like a place of change. I wouldn’t be surprised to see coaching staff changes, and I’m hearing mixed messages about GM Jeff Ireland. Stay tuned. Owner Stephen Ross seems like he was ready to make some changes when he left the stadium after eight disappointing days for the Dolphins.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/30/aaron-rod ... terback/7/

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

No one should be safe after those last 2 games.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Can Ross really go into next season thinking the same guy will bring different results? Especially when there has been regression in key areas, collapses late in game to very inferior opponents, and the inexplicable situations of not playing to certain guys' strengths.

I think you can clean house and still get something good out the players next year because there is talent on this team.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
The Dolphins have a nice talent base, but a poor brain trust.

I agree they have a poor brain trust, but saying they have a nice talent base is a compliment to Ireland. I think in 6 years, we have acquired some GREAT talent, but also failed to address other very important issues, mainly the OL. That talent base isn't all that nice once you get past the surface.

Ireland underachieved at building a team, and the coaching staff further underachieved at utilizing the players they DID have. Everything filters down, so all that underachieving at the top leads to players underachieving on the field.

Ross gave Ireland a chance for 6 years. He was in place when he bought the team. Time to get some consultants together and find a new GM, and then a new staff.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:
Time to get some consultants together and find a new GM, and then a new staff.

Beside Pioli (since that is the only name I've seen floated so far) who else is a GM candidate?

If they do clean house they have to go into it with a plan.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

After reading some tweets from the writers I have to wonder if the Parcells model wasn't the correct model for this bunch.

I completely agree that you need an elite QB to run a finesse offense (Rodgers, Brees, even Brady from a few years back). Tannehill is not that...but I think he would have been the correct trigger man for the 2010/2011 Dolphin set up.

You need a QB to win. I think Tannehill can be that guy aka the top 10ish can get hot down the stretch. Think of him throwing to Marshall and a big TE while also having guys like Hartline and Gibson to run some deep patterns.

Now add a stout o-line with some quality running backs and you have a recipe for a team that can move the ball and put up enough points to win.

The defense is already set for the 3-4. Why not return to it?

I also like the Omar Kelly points for a new coach: Give me a coach that has failed once but found ways to win without an elite QB during that tenure.

Makes me think bringing in a Ken Whisenhunt type would be good for this team. Then add a DC who will employ the 3-4. Spend some money to secure the LT spot with Brandon Albert and for goodness sakes get a full back.

Will this solve all problems? Absolutely not. But I think Miami was close enough to a playoff team that a few changes will get them another step forward.

I really hope a clean sweep happens.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:40 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I could live (barely) with Ireland and Philben returning if Sherman and Coyle were replaced with proven options. Someone also needs to be hired that understand OL talent beyond the first round to help Ireland out. Projecting OL talent beyond the first round seems to be Ireland's Achilles.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Banal??

What is that?

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:25 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

dolphinjim wrote:
Banal??

What is that?

Google is your friend.

:haha

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
Time to get some consultants together and find a new GM, and then a new staff.

Beside Pioli (since that is the only name I've seen floated so far) who else is a GM candidate?

If they do clean house they have to go into it with a plan.

I wonder if Tony Dungy would be interested in a position like that. Hes steady, intelligent, & already lives in Florida. I'd imagine he could bring in a few coaches with a desire to win.

Seems to me that Philbin will never have that moxy to inspire a team

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Steve Zissou wrote:

I wonder if Tony Dungy would be interested in a position like that. Hes steady, intelligent, & already lives in Florida. I'd imagine he could bring in a few coaches with a desire to win.

Seems to me that Philbin will never have that moxy to inspire a team

I believe Dungy is done with the NFL on a day to day basis. He wants to sit back & enjoy his family & speak on the NFL. Its a cushy job.

I'm not sure how much input he had on players when he was coaching, so I have no idea if he is good or bad at it.

He would be a great VP IMO.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It seems Dolphins fans lack of patience for players developing also carries over to coaches developing too

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
It seems Dolphins fans lack of patience for players developing also carries over to coaches developing too

Sherman isn't exactly a rookie coach. And if it were a few clock management issues or some play calling concerns for Philbin then I could see your point. But Go and Go Go, pointed out to them by both players and media, and they refuse to believe they were wrong? Their stubbornness may have cost this team a shot at the playoffs.

I just don't want to become the next Houston Texans aka false hope that is going to max out at getting to the playoffs. Give me a group that can take a team far into the post season.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]