View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins defenders “beyond furious” with defensive scheme 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Dolphins defenders “beyond furious” with defensive scheme
Quote:
According to a report from Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, the way things turned out left players on the defensive side of the ball “beyond furious” and “irate” with the defensive scheme cooked up by defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle. Among their complaints was the team’s decision to use players like Cameron Wake and Jason Trusnik to cover running back Joe McKnight, who scored twice on passing plays in the second half to help the Chiefs break the game open.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ve-scheme/

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:41 am

Post Re: Dolphins defenders “beyond furious” with defensive scheme
Yes, having Cameron Wake in coverage on that touchdown by McKnight was ridiculous.

And yes, I am frustrated with us playing off coverage most of the time. The few times I saw us in press, we did a good job of disrupting the receivers.

The Chiefs were in press ALL DAY and our receivers had a tough time getting open, especially in the second half.

That being said, we had 13 missed tackles. That's not scheme. That's effort.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Did you see the play it's like a critical point 3rd and 3 the defender lines up 10 yards off Bowe of all people slow and big...Luckily he dropped the pass

:hithead:

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:03 am

Kev1321 wrote:
Did you see the play it's like a critical point 3rd and 3 the defender lines up 10 yards off Bowe of all people slow and big...Luckily he dropped the pass

:hithead:

I can't stand Coyle's schemes. I am a big believer in taking space away and playing aggressive. Sure you can give up some big plays but more often than not, you're going to disrupt the offense.

Coyle reminds me of Oliva-no-Defense and his "bend and then go ahead and break" defense.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:08 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Coyle is an iditiot. The only people confused by his schemes are his own defense. Players are late to the scene, making the tackle harder to make.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:10 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Fire Jeff Ireland.....?

d-1

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I really believe that coaching has a lot to do with the demise of this team. There is no way the offense and defense are this bad. The playcalling and D scheme is nuts. On the otherside though, the D has to tackle and WRs have to catch.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:51 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

dolphans1 wrote:
Fire Jeff Ireland.....?

d-1

Umm....Who?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:37 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Was really hoping they'd fire Coyle along with Sherman this offseason. They should have just cleaned house instead of trying to salvage this garbage.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:41 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

dolphans1 wrote:
Fire Jeff Ireland.....?

d-1

You're like a broken record.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Among their complaints was the team’s decision to use players like Cameron Wake and Jason Trusnik to cover running back Joe McKnigh

I had to ask the guys in the chat room who was covering McKnight on one touchdown because I could not believe my eyes in that it looked to me that Cam Wake was smoked trying to stay with a wide receiver. What kind of a scheme is that?

Yep, I was all for firing Coyle at the end of the season. He has taken a strong part of our team and has made it weaker and weaker. Last year we were bend but don't break. Now we're bending and breaking.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:01 am
Profile WWW

Actually, McKnight is a running back.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:05 am

I think its time to make Gruden or Cowher an offer they can't refuse. There is enough talent on this team to succeed. The coaches simply don't have this team ready to play each week and it is evident the players aren't buying into the program.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:10 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
I think its time to make Gruden or Cowher an offer they can't refuse. There is enough talent on this team to succeed. The coaches simply don't have this team ready to play each week and it is evident the players aren't buying into the program.

I'm not so sure about there being enough talent on this team.

We have gaping holes at linebacker and safety. We're old at corner and aren't really seeing the young guys step up. Really, only our front 4 is playing well on defense.

On offense, our receivers keep dropping passes and I just don't see a go to guy at the position. Wallace is the closest thing and he is looking better this year.

We have a gimpy tight end who isn't really a tight end.

Our running back position is unsettled.

The right side of our offensive line looks like a turnstyle right now.

Our QB has all the physical tools but may be letting this team down by not having a dominant personality.

Where are the superstars on our team? Defensive end and punter?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:15 am

Before last week, Grimes was one of the better CBs in the league. Wallace still isn't getting the TDs. Hartline is simply not getting enough looks, Gibson was tearing it up last season before the knee injury....he gets about 2-3 looks a game. Matthews came on late last season and performed well...and now has disappeared. RT was playing better last season than this year. The OL last season was worse after the debacle. Jenkins had a beastly game last week. Why are they starting a wounded Wheeler over McCain? Seems to me the team has lost complete confidence in the coaching stafff. The team that played Sunday...will not beat Oakland next week. 1-3 will hopefully force some changes. If they squeak by Oakland.....that's the worst thing that can happen. 2-2 will likely mean Ross will let it ride as-is.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:29 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Before last week, Grimes was one of the better CBs in the league.

You need 3 good CBs. So we have one...

Quote:
Wallace still isn't getting the TDs. Hartline is simply not getting enough looks, Gibson was tearing it up last season before the knee injury....he gets about 2-3 looks a game. Matthews came on late last season and performed well...and now has disappeared.

And our wide receivers keep dropping passes. Good hands are a critical skill set at that position.

Quote:
RT was playing better last season than this year.

But has not proven is he a franchise QB.

Quote:
The OL last season was worse after the debacle

Even if this OL is better, it doesn't exactly have a high bar to compete against. It is still a questionable unit.

Quote:
Jenkins had a beastly game last week. Why are they starting a wounded Wheeler over McCain?

Ok so we have one good LB, need two more.

Talent is an issue. So is coaching. No question.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:35 am

Quote:
You need 3 good CBs. So we have one...

Finnegan is decent and there are two decent rookies. Scheme has nothing to do with their play... obviously :hithead:

Quote:
And our wide receivers keep dropping passes. Good hands are a critical skill set at that position.

Every star player that comes through Miami suffers a bad year... funny how once guys leave they regain their star status. There is something rotten and its not the players.

Quote:
But has not proven is he a franchise QB.
No argument here. Whether its the looking for a safe place to land once the pocket collapses or his no risk approach downfield, he is not making the guys around him better.

Even if this OL is better, it doesn't exactly have a high bar to compete against. It is still a questionable unit. The problem is RG and only right guard. They could cut Dallas Thomas tomorrow and he would be out of football forever. There are better FA on the market.

Trusnik isn't that bad...as a matter of fact he's playing better in the middle than Misi. LB's were a weakness when the season started and injuries there probably aren't helping. However, its not the reason they're losing. Coyle should have been fired last year.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:42 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Finnegan is decent and there are two decent rookies

WHo are the decent rookie? If you are talking about last year's draft picks, they suck.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:12 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Andy Reid taught me the drawback to the 5-2 scheme Miami used. He crossed the TEs, who were covered by DEs, & scored.

Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

As you know I LOVE the Dolphins' 5-2 scheme. It is effective in specific spots, but if a team has 2 good TEs.....duck & run for cover.

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:15 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm furious with the coach and the owner

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You don't fire the team .... You fire the coach!

The dropped passes
The defense getting worse
The golf outing in the end zone
The clock management
The team looking flat
The players coming in and playing worse
The players leaving and playing better
And of coarse the losing to teams with less talent
Ive seen enough...And i hate the idea of starting over but when a coach loses a team it's time to go.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:55 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You don't fire the team .... You fire the coach!

The dropped passes
The defense getting worse
The golf outing in the end zone
The clock management
The team looking flat
The players coming in and playing worse
The players leaving and playing better
And of coarse the losing to teams with less talent
Ive seen enough...And i hate the idea of starting over but when a coach loses a team it's time to go.

So true

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm just tired of looking at the guy

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was at the game. Such a shame that when Miami grabbed what little momentum they could seize, they did something to shoot themselves. My opinion, but here are the following misfires:

Miami was shoving the ball down KC's throat and Philbin opts to kick a long field goal on foruth and one instead of going for it, which Dan Carpenter missed, oh wait just a darn minute, I mean Caleb Sturgis because if we still had Carpenter, he would have made it. Momentum now swung to KC and guess what? They put together a touchdown drive and finished with a score.

Next up: The STUPID GOLF REINACTMENT by Hartline....Why and what was the purpose and when they threw the flag Philbin got right on to Hartline who looked to be saying what was the big deal? Well, Brian I used to catch everything Hartline, it cost the team 15 yards, better field position and I believe KC marched down and scored. Just STUPID.

What else? Well, you fans saw it, dropped passes; TERRIBLE defensive schemes that KC was smart enough to figure out easily and make Miami pay each time.

When Miami got that safety and closed the game to 21-15, the stadium was alive and rocking again, but head scratching play calls that abandoned the run and we WASTED the momentum again.......then everything pretty much fell completely apart from there.

1-2 heading to London, they MUST come away beating the Raiders and go into the bye 2-2. Cannot even imagine all the cliff jumpers if they lose next week.....

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Finhead34 wrote:
I was at the game. Such a shame that when Miami grabbed what little momentum they could seize, they did something to shoot themselves. My opinion, but here are the following misfires:

Miami was shoving the ball down KC's throat and Philbin opts to kick a long field goal on foruth and one instead of going for it, which Dan Carpenter missed, oh wait just a darn minute, I mean Caleb Sturgis because if we still had Carpenter, he would have made it. Momentum now swung to KC and guess what? They put together a touchdown drive and finished with a score.

Next up: The STUPID GOLF REINACTMENT by Hartline....Why and what was the purpose and when they threw the flag Philbin got right on to Hartline who looked to be saying what was the big deal? Well, Brian I used to catch everything Hartline, it cost the team 15 yards, better field position and I believe KC marched down and scored. Just STUPID.

What else? Well, you fans saw it, dropped passes; TERRIBLE defensive schemes that KC was smart enough to figure out easily and make Miami pay each time.

When Miami got that safety and closed the game to 21-15, the stadium was alive and rocking again, but head scratching play calls that abandoned the run and we WASTED the momentum again.......then everything pretty much fell completely apart from there.

1-2 heading to London, they MUST come away beating the Raiders and go into the bye 2-2. Cannot even imagine all the cliff jumpers if they lose next week.....

It is no longer a cliff. If you jump...you were never too far off the ground because expecations are so low. In any case, your above recap boils down to coaching. I reset my expecations 3 years ago. I was never excited about Philbin. It always seems like Miami is settling for a candidate rather than landing one. I quit paying for my direct tv Sunday ticket because they keep fielding an inferior product. I quit buying Jerseys and gear. I'm bascially a passive spectator anymore rather than a fan. I can't tell you I watch with Envy when Kirk Cousins threw for 420yds the other day. It was in a losing cause but you can see the offense in Washington went from anemic to explosive with just one change. Anyway, I'm kind of at that point where I've been abused so many times by buying into this team that I'm numb. They could reel off 5-6 straight right now...and I'd be waiting for the collapse. :cry:

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I promoted Kirk Cousins in the off season. Even to Omar Kelly. I got laughed at.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
I promoted Kirk Cousins in the off season. Even to Omar Kelly. I got laughed at.

You were not alone. I saw a few guys who said he should be an option for Miami in the 2nd round.

Omar Kelly is all over Aaron Murray. Thinks Miami should have him to be groomed as a fit in this offense.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I was more furious with the offense. I think when the defense has to go out as many times as they did (thanks to several unfinished drives by the O) mistakes are bound to happen. Our CBs are not bad, the scheme is. The LBs are a weakness currently due to multiple injuries to starters that are actually 2's, and lets not forget, we have 2 players suspended. Both of which are MORE than capable of covering McKnight (Jordon and Jones).

I think with our front 4, we should be at or on the line with our DBs jamming every play. Opposing QBs are getting and avg of 2.5 seconds(ish) to pass and jamming up the WRs/TEs could really make for a bad day. The method is tried and true.

All that said, I put this one squarely on the offensive side of the ball. From dropped passes, to (and especially) the play calling. The run game was up to speed as much or more than it was week 1 and we abandon it WAY to early. In stead we put our Non-HOF QB in a position to win the game by himself and he is just not capable of that. Lamar Miller could have had 200+ yards and a win... he was getting it done so we stopped running him. Sense, it makes non.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Stars are coming aligned for Harbaugh to become the next Phins' HC. The 49ers are melting down.....Harbaugh's melting down. The off season issues seem very real and Harbaugh may not last the season.

Harbaugh's not all there. He probably thinks he's the best QB in Colt's history, above Manning and Unitas. He doesn't play well with others or set a good example. Reminds me somewhat of a young unrefined Belichick.

The one thing we know is he's a Ross Guy. He could actually be here before the season's out.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

shularino wrote:
Stars are coming aligned for Harbaugh to become the next Phins' HC. The 49ers are melting down.....Harbaugh's melting down. The off season issues seem very real and Harbaugh may not last the season.

Harbaugh's not all there. He probably thinks he's the best QB in Colt's history, above Manning and Unitas. He doesn't play well with others or set a good example. Reminds me somewhat of a young unrefined Belichick.

The one thing we know is he's a Ross Guy. He could actually be here before the season's out.

Lets see how Harbaugh finishes out this season.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Really?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I,ve been all in on Harbaugh for awhile now. He would have us in the playoffs regularly. I remember when Philbin got voted 29th head coach in the league and an anonymous GM said, "how do you not get that team to the playoffs " last year.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:28 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Harbaugh has lost his team and he's a whiny little b*tch on the sidelines.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

You really want to go the route of coaches who willingly stepped away from the game and have been enjoying being a talking head and going home at night? Its past time to move past those two.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Lets not forget a Philbin decision to move away from what was working great in Miami when he arrived. Move away from Mike Nolan.

On positive note. Ross/Ireland picked Philbin over Mike McCoy. Oh wait. The guy who appears to be turning Rivers back into a quality starting Qb.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I get sick of people recycling the names Gruden and Cowher every year. If you leave the NFL for more than 2 years, the league has passed you by.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

If you leave the NFL for more than 2 years, the league has passed you by.

yep

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

You really want to go the route of coaches who willingly stepped away from the game and have been enjoying being a talking head and going home at night? Its past time to move past those two.

I'd take Hans and Frans over Philbin right now.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

I'd take Hans and Frans over Philbin right now.

Really not sure how anyone can look into his eyes and see him as the man you want leading your team. Again he bested Mike McCoy in the eyes of Ross. How I'm really not sure.

SD is happy about that one.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Lets not forget a Philbin decision to move away from what was working great in Miami when he arrived. Move away from Mike Nolan.

On positive note. Ross/Ireland picked Philbin over Mike McCoy. Oh wait. The guy who appears to be turning Rivers back into a quality starting Qb.

Mike McCoy isn't changing Rivers into anything he already wasn't...Better said Rivers is changing McCoy into a good coach like every good qb does in the NFL.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next