View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Has anyone stopped to notice this: 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Has anyone stopped to notice this:
I'm sure you have, but I still must point this out.

Prior to drafting Tannehill, rumors were we were getting Peyton Manning, when that blew up, we had the chance to sign Alex Smith, many of us said pass.

We went with Tannehill, and many of you know how I feel about drafting him, but has anyone thought about what it would have been like had we wooed Manning here or even signed Alex Smith, do you think we would have made the playoffs this year if either of these guys were here?

My point in all this is, if you don't make the playoffs, your chances of advancing to the Super Bowl are 0%, let alone not being able to win your division and play at home.

Which leads me to this next topic, drafting so low in the draft now, our chances of getting a good QB are lessened; so do you really think we can draft enough impact players to improve this team with an average QB for next season?

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:14 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Has anyone stopped to notice this:
I believe RT can be a top 10 QB. He is still young, but he needs coaching and improvemnt on his pocket awareness. Consistancy would be nive too.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:36 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Makchell wrote:
I believe RT can be a top 10 QB. He is still young, but he needs coaching and improvemnt on his pocket awareness. Consistancy would be nive too.

Thanks....!

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami never had a chance to sign Manning. Alex Smith used Miami to get a better deal in San Francisco. The past is the past and can't be changed. Like it or not Tannehill is the QB in Miami and will be for at least 2 more years. Fix the o-line, work on his pocket awareness and give him a running game and he will continue to improve.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:48 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I really dont remember there being any talk about Alex Smith. Maybe it was leverage on his part. I guess in our only chance of getting him was drafting him #1 over all instead of Ronnie Brown but there is no way this franchise would have stuck with him like the 49ers did & we would have watched him be successful elsewhere which has become pretty typical for us. Smith would have been out of here in 3 years had his career gone the same way it did in SF.
I remember all the Manning talk. It was at the same time as all the Cowher talk. Someone even photoshoped a picture of Manning in a Dolphin uniform on the sideline with Cowher in Dolphin attire as if they were going over a gameplan on gameday. I dont think Manning even considered playing here. He is to savvy for that. He flew into Ft. Lauderdale airport & was followed to his home , that was I think the extent of his Dolphin contact.
We have Tannehill , way to early to give up on him. I still think he can win a super bowl , even multiple super bowls. Hopefully it is with us. Until we have a better QB we will stick with him or at least I hope so. I dont care about the Trent Dilfer argument. Nowadays if you dont have a QB , you dont have a relevant football team.
Tomorrow is supposed to be decision day for Ross. By Friday I will be smelling super bowl in 2014.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:54 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Nowadays if you dont have a QB , you dont have a relevant football team.

:awe:

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:57 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:

I'm starting to have my doubts about him. His deep ball accuracy needs serious work and he tends to hold the ball too long. The O-Line might've been really crappy, but I'd say about 20%-30% of his sacks were on him.

I say stockpile draft picks for 2015, and if Tannehill doesn't show marked improvement, package those picks to trade up and draft Famous Jameis.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:01 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Dolphins did their best to try to "woo" Peyton Manning. He really wasn't interested in joining the Dolphins and only gave us an interview to help us save face since the media had all ready put him in a Dolphins uniform. He's a class act.

I'd give Tannehill more time to develop. I really like him.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:29 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

TommyNoleFin wrote:
package those picks to trade up and draft Famous Jameis.

That guy is going to be blind as a bat by the time he gets to the NFL. He has to squint to see his teammates in the huddle.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:34 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
package those picks to trade up and draft Famous Jameis.

That guy is going to be blind as a bat by the time he gets to the NFL. He has to squint to see his teammates in the huddle.

But he can throw the 9 route.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:55 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Ryan Tannehill certainly needs to improve, from a consistency standpoint as well as a chemistry standpoint with the deep ball to Mike Wallace.

That said, it amazes me how folks on this forum continue to want to overlook the fact that this kid has been one of the most sacked QB in the league in his 2 years in the NFL. 58 sacks led the NFL this year and this kid has been hit ALOT.

Even with this, he did improve in 2013, and this with an OC that has very little imagination or a QB coach that Rich and others have pointed out is not qualified to be a QB coach. And and OL that is THE worst in the NFL and not much of a run game.

I know the OP is not a Tannehill fan and we all have our opinions. But let's be fair in our judgement on this kid.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:10 am

phinsfansc wrote:
Even with this, he did improve in 2013

Doesn't matter. Opinions are set. Players can't get better. They can't work on stuff in the offseason to improve weaknesses. They aren't going to perform better with better coaching, schemes and surrounding talent.

Let it be written, let it be done. Tannehill will not improve because players don't improve. They either have it or they don't. Let me see if I can think of any other absolutist cliches...

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So if he improves and has a banner year in 2014 will everyone just come out and say "I knew it all along!"

Some are acting as though he threw away a ton of games, completed less than 60% of his passes, had less than 20 TDs, more picks than TDs, and was a questionable leader. Well the opposite of all of that happened.

He's not elite and that is fine. He struggles with the deep ball to Wallace (yet not others) so we'll see if that is just a chemistry thing or a permanent hang up. He showed far more positives than negatives this year and took a step from just "promise" to a legit starting QB in the NFL. Let's see if he steps up to legit franchise guy next year.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:28 am

jammer wrote:
Let's see if he steps up to legit franchise guy next year.

Time to grow and improve is not allowed. He didn't put up elite numbers this season, so he will never be elite.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Time to grow and improve is not allowed. He didn't put up elite numbers this season, so he will never be elite.

Everyone has their own definition of "elite". When I think elite I only apply it to Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Roethlisberger. There are certainly some guys who can get there but haven't earned it yet in my opinion.

I'm not sure Tannehill ever becomes elite. I still think more top 10ish which is franchise caliber and the ability to take a team to a Super Bowl. If I see him make more of the deep throws and move around a little better in the pocket then I will happily change my tune.

Again, I'm 100% on board with him being Miami's QB for the long term.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
Even with this, he did improve in 2013

Doesn't matter. Opinions are set. Players can't get better. They can't work on stuff in the offseason to improve weaknesses. They aren't going to perform better with better coaching, schemes and surrounding talent.

Let it be written, let it be done. Tannehill will not improve because players don't improve. They either have it or they don't. Let me see if I can think of any other absolutist cliches...

I think you could see marked improvement on pocket awareness as the season progressed....Tanny will be fine i think. Most of his troubles are coachable.

One thing i do believe strongly in though. A good part of those sacks were on him and the back .....

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Kev1321 wrote:
One thing i do believe strongly in though. A good part of those sacks were on him and the back .....

Miami needs to find a running back who can block. I would not mind at all if they gave MJD a look.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Kev1321 wrote:

I think the snap count us being underplayed as an issue here. Two offensive linemen noticed it in two different games. Garner against the Bucs, in which the Dolphins rushed for 2 yards, and McKinnie against the Bills, in which Tannehill was sacked 7 times.

When your snap count is always Blue 88 GO or Blue 88 GO GO... and you literally use the same cadence play after play with a few minor exceptions, it makes it a lot easier for the defense to tee off.

On the very few occassions in which Tannehill said Blue 88 GO and the ball wasn't snapped, you could see the entire front 7 move to the play and then have to jump back in position, because they had the snap count so timed they weren't thinking anymore, just reacting. And when you don't have the defense thinking, you're in trouble on offense. So why not alter the snap count more to throw the defense off more?

The snap count played a huge role in the lack of offensive success for the Dolphins, both running and throwing. They were tipping their hand before playing their cards.

You already have an offensive line with issues... why augment those issues by being lazy with the snap count? In football, half a second is a lifetime... why not give your QB, offensive linemen, wide receivers and running backs that extra half a second to make a play?

That's what something as simple as switching your snap count and cadence can do.

The Dolphins coaching staff was questioned about this and they never changed it. Players raised a concern and they never changed it.

It is gross negligence on their part not addressing something so simple, that would have required a simple fix and potentially had a considerable positive impact on offense by simply buying the players a little bit more time to make a few more plays... that could have been the difference between 8-8 and 10-6.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree with Rich 100% on the snap count. And the sad thing is that is something Miami had control over and didn't fix. If the snap count affected one play this year, that is too many.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:52 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The snap count played a huge role in the lack of offensive success for the Dolphins, both running and throwing.

This is why everyone needs to be fired, how dumb are they?

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
I say stockpile draft picks for 2015, and if Tannehill doesn't show marked improvement, package those picks to trade up and draft Famous Jameis.

Thu May 01, 2014 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I'd give Tannehill more time to develop. I really like him.

I do too Dave. People forget that it took Troy Aikman about 3 full years to get going. Imagine if Jimmy Johnson gave up on him too early?

Thu May 01, 2014 6:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Everyone has their own definition of "elite". When I think elite I only apply it to Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Roethlisberger. There are certainly some guys who can get there but haven't earned it yet in my opinion.

I'm not sure Tannehill ever becomes elite. I still think more top 10ish which is franchise caliber and the ability to take a team to a Super Bowl. If I see him make more of the deep throws and move around a little better in the pocket then I will happily change my tune.

Again, I'm 100% on board with him being Miami's QB for the long term.

I'm in the same boat as you. I feel like Tannehill is destined to wind up in that Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning group of quarterbacks (second tier but consistently putting up top ten seasons). The odds he becomes a Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady is slim. But I do feel he can surpass the Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, Alex Smith, Cam Newton, and Andy Daultons of the league. If he's able to do that, he'll be in Miami a very long time and may even wind up winning us a Super Bowl at some point if all the pieces fall into place.

I expect a step forward this season similar to what we saw last season. His touchdown to interception ratio should improve a fair amount. He should complete a higher percentage of his passes. He should throw for more yards and touchdowns. And more than likely his quarterback rating should go up. All of these things should happen even if the protection and run game stay the same. But if the protection and run game improve around him, then I expect him to take a significant leap forward and may even become a top ten quarterback this year. That possibility isn't out of the question.

Thu May 01, 2014 11:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]