View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Who is MORE at fault: GM or Coaches? 

Who is MORE at fault?
GM Jeff Ireland (talent not up to par) 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Dolphins Coaching (mismanaged players talents) 80%  80%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 20

Who is MORE at fault: GM or Coaches? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Who is MORE at fault: GM or Coaches?
This seems to be the hold up. I am only going to give you all an either/or answer. Read the rest of the article for a good evaluation of both sides.

Armando Salguero wrote:
We already know Philbin believes his coaching staff, led by offensive coordinator Mike Sherman, did an outstanding job in 2013. That's why Philbin wants to keep the group intact. And it's pretty clear the personnel department believes it also deserves a continuing opportunity to upgrade the Dolphins because, well, the talent in '13 was upgraded over 2012.

But both cannot be exactly right when they're both responsible for a team folding in the final two weeks and losing as many games as it won. So here are the different views of the world:

The coaching staff's view: We did as well as we could under difficult circumstances and talent that simply wasn't good enough.

The personnel department's view: We provided enough talent to get this team to the playoffs and the development and coaching of that talent failed to get us there.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Who is MORE at fault: GM or Coaches?
While Ireland did poorly along the OL and free agent additions of Ellerbe and Wheeler, I went with the Coaches on this. The reason is that I did not see enough adjustments to take advantage of certain players and units strengths, and I did not see enough adjustments to go away from players and units weaknesses.

While they are both at fault, I felt the coaches were more at fault.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:45 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:
And it's pretty clear the personnel department believes it also deserves a continuing opportunity to upgrade the Dolphins because, well, the talent in '13 was upgraded over 2012.

:) :)

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

There is plenty of blame to go around. Ireland failed to address the biggest problem (OL) last year in free agency and the draft. Ireland has continued to miss on 2nd through 5th round picks since he has been here. IMO Rounds 1-4 are where you build the core of your team. How hard is it to draft players that can come in and contribute from day one for a team that has been so void of talent? The trade up to grab Dion Jordan while ignoring the glaring need at o-line is a real head scratcher. However, Philbin and his staff did a poor job with what they were given. On offense they continued to run the same worn out basic plays over and over. They did little to counter the pass rush with draws and screens and letting Tannehill run. If they were worried about him getting hurt they should have considered what 58 sacks did to him. On defense they had no answer for the run defense. And I'm still not sure why they switched to a 4-3 defense. But what really really upset me is the way they continued to fail at making halftime adjustments. Also they failed royally to get their teams prepared coming off the bye week and the long gap after playing a Thursday night game. Miami looked flat in the last Buffalo game and played without much heart in the last Jets game. The more time I have had to think this through the more I lean toward cleaning house and getting rid of Ireland and Philbin and starting over.

Last edited by bobby0112 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:09 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

There really needed to be an option for both. Ireland's decision to not resign Long and Bush directly cost us at least 3 games. This is not to let the coaching staff off the hook and I think that Sherman does need to go but Ireland has had 6 years and we have only been in the playoffs once. It is time for him to go.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:21 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I said in another thread that any meetings yesterday could only be finger pointing, either directly or behind each other's backs.

In terms of Ireland's picks, does he take guys who Philbin and Co. suggest will be good fits for them? Did Philbin tell him Martin would be good enough to man the left tackle position?

Too many unknowns in my opinion.

But with that said I'd argue its more on coaches/players than GM. Both offense and defense failed to execute in key situations. But there were games I thought the coaches put the team in position to fail by sticking to their "system" and not tailoring plays to fit their players' strengths.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:25 am
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

I voted coaching. With these players they should be able to win at least 10 games IMO.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:40 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I know this is hard to take but I wouldnt call Ross a great owner. I know I might get slammed for that because that is the one position that will not change but its time to admit it.
Yes the idea of getting Harbaugh was correct but other than that it has been short of a disaster.
This inactivity while in the end might be praised as soon as most sip the kool aid once again is just another sign.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

SOMEBODY has got to be held accountable for the circus of the Jonathan Martin/Incognito saga then the collapse of the last two games.

I will find it hard to believe Ross will do nothing, so I will be curious to how today plays out now that Ross left and knowing the media will want some update for the fans.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:42 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

bobby0112 wrote:
Ireland failed to address the biggest problem (OL) last year in free agency and the draft.

He did not fail to address it. We signed Tyson Clabo and drafted Dallas Thomas.

It's not as if he didn't make an attempt. And I find it interesting that Clabo was coming off a good year with the Falcons and played better in his second opportunity to start for us. That smells like a coaching issue to me. Our offensive line also imploded because of the Bullygate scandal.

Quote:
Ireland has continued to miss on 2nd through 5th round picks since he has been here.

Olivier Vernon, Lamar Miller, Koa Misi, Brian Hartline, Sean Smith all 2-4 round picks.

Throw in Clay, Jimmy Wilson, Nolan Carroll, Reshad Jones, Chris Clemons and Rishard Matthews as late round picks that have panned out.

All teams are going to have more misses than hits in the mid to late rounds.

The Dolphins have hit on all of their first round picks since Ireland has been here, though.

Quote:
The trade up to grab Dion Jordan while ignoring the glaring need at o-line is a real head scratcher.

Except that all the offensive lineman that were available have sucked.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
I know this is hard to take but I wouldnt call Ross a great owner. I know I might get slammed for that because that is the one position that will not change but its time to admit it.
Yes the idea of getting Harbaugh was correct but other than that it has been short of a disaster.
This inactivity while in the end might be praised as soon as most sip the kool aid once again is just another sign.

I like how Ross backs off and doesn't intervene usually but you're right in that he stepped in and picked the coach he liked.

Another thing to consider is he might be delaying his decision because he doesn't like any of the replacement candidates. If you're going to clean house you need to have a plan.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:07 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Which came first the chicken or the egg? Did Ireland draft an entire bust class this year or was it coaching that stunted their development? I would assume the latter since Bush, Dansby, and Burnett tore it up this year while Elebre and Wheeler sucked, but they were raw last year. If I had a choice, this whole coaching staff would be gone. Ireland has also found an OG off the street and the safety from the 9ers that won us a game against NE.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]