View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 pm



Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask 
Author Message
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Nick Foles better QB than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask Joe Namath.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html


Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:01 am
Profile
Online
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5148
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
who cares


Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:58 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 1330
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Joe Namath? The universally regarded most overrated player in NFL history? #@&% him.

_________________
Image


Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:11 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
But take a look at his stats -

The Eagles struggled earlier in the season, what you like to see in a player is gradual improvement, what we saw in Tannehill was a regression process when the stakes got high. We were also a play or two away from losing to Pittsburgh and the Patriots. One could argue the defense bailed us out in both of those games.

Namath say's - " In 13 games this season, Foles threw for 2,891 yards with 27 touchdowns and only two interceptions. But Foles’ mobility for a big quarterback — he is listed as 6-foot-6 — impresses Namath, who was known for his mobility before a knee injury during his senior year at Alabama cut back on his scrambling."

In stark contrast, Tannehill threw 17 picks compared to Foles 2 and Tannehill threw only 24 TD's.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:11 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5279
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Are you going to just keep starting up the same thread worded differently until one person actually agrees with you?

I like Foles a lot, even advocated that Miami should have considered him in Round 2. But what does that have to do with Miami's current QB situation?

If Tannehill plays like garbage next year then feel free to play the I told you so game. But for now all you're doing is throwing stuff out there without the evidence to really back it up. We've had 500 threads criticizing his deep ball and pocket presence. We get it, he's not an elite QB. There are 52 other guys on the team who contributed to this disappointing season.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:26 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8017
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
jammer wrote:
Are you going to just keep starting up the same thread worded differently until one person actually agrees with you?

I like Foles a lot ....


I like Foles, too, but I am still happy with the Tannehill pick. Complain about the personnel or the coaching decisions. That seems to be the real talking points.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:34 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5279
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Big Dave wrote:
I like Foles, too, but I am still happy with the Tannehill pick. Complain about the personnel or the coaching decisions. That seems to be the real talking points.


Start with a decent ground game for balance and a defense which doesn't give up nearly 2000 rushing yards on the season.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:39 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:
Nick Foles better QB than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask Joe Namath.

I'm not sure but I believe Tom Brady & Peyton Manning are better than Tanny.

It does not matter who is better now. What needs to be determined is will Tanny continue to progress & get even better.

The NFL is full of one yr wonders. Foles will not have another yr where he only throws 2 ints.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:05 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4353
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
All I can say is good for Nick Foles and even better if he now wins a playoff game. a 27-2 touchdown to interception ratio is quite impressive, but I struggle with the comparison to Tannehill.

You can state that case for other QB's as well. I still like Tanny, he has made great strides even with the ending let down.

Troy Aikman struggled his first two years and then look what happened. Let's see how he progresses in year 3 and "I think" he will have an impressive arsenal of receivers getting Gibson and Binns back along with Wallace, Hartline and Matthews.

Get him an offensive line and a blocking full-back and I bet Tanny could throw for 4500 yards.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:23 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8017
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
I like Foles, too, but I am still happy with the Tannehill pick. Complain about the personnel or the coaching decisions. That seems to be the real talking points.


Start with a decent ground game for balance and a defense which doesn't give up nearly 2000 rushing yards on the season.


Yep, there are holes all over.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
I see what most of your points are and respect that, but building a formidable team like the Cowboys had in the early 90's will be almost impossible to build today because of free agency, which by the way, in my opinion, has ruined the NFL.

In recent history, we have seen 2 quality QB's who were discarded and quickly propelled their respective teams to the playoffs. (I'm purposefully leaving out Kurt Warner)

1) Peyton Manning (Colts, Broncos) - we all know his history.

2) Brett Favre (Packers, Jets, Vikings) He has led teams to eight division championships (1995, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2009), five NFC Championship Games (1995, 1996, 1997, 2007, 2009), and 2 Super Bowl appearances, if I recall, he came within 1 game of going to the Super Bowl with the Vikings, but they lost the NFC Championship Game in overtime to the New Orleans Saints, when Favre threw a bonehead pick.

The point I am trying to make is, look how many times these guys made it to the playoffs, yet fallen short.

My concerns are we're throwing away years, in order to develop a 1 player, some fans/experts think may become the next Peyton Manning.

Do you guys remember when Drew Bledsoe got benched over Tom Brady? How controversial that was, when it actually occurred...? Had these players been here in Miami, neither of you guys would have given Brady the nod. Based on what I feel most of the opinions I read on here is, Coaches are what basically make a great QB. In other words, you're saying Tom Brady didn't make Tom Brady, Bill Belichick made Tom Brady. Translation - Mike Sherman is not playing Tannehill the right way....?

I feel we wasted 2 seasons in a row by going with Tannehill and in my opinion, he would have best served if he sat on the sideline for a season or two or three, holding a clipboard. Had Moore struggled miserably in either season, then you consider bringing him in.

I know I keep harping on this, because it jumps out at me like a MAC truck, but when you only score 7 points in 8 quarters of play, this tells me something is wrong. If we were 2-14 it would be one thing, but this team should have made the playoffs the last 2 seasons, had we had better production from the QB position.


Last edited by dolphans1 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.



Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:49 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4353
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Miami has been searching for MANY MANY years for a franchise QB. Obviously this has been proven to be a hard find for the Dolphins, so waiting on Tannehill to gain experience for a couple of years and now going into year 3, I think we will continue to see better play out of him.

When he had that great game against the Patriots and we were 8-6, it is safe to say Tannehill was getting better as the season went on 3-0 in December at that point.....of course the last two games were a HUGE let down, but you have to stick with Tannehill going into year 3.

This isn't even a debate in my book. You don't start looking for another QB option, you get him a line so he doesn't get sacked 58 times!!


Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5279
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Tom Brady had the benefit of a different NFL to get his career kick started. New England didn't ask him to put the team on his shoulders, they just said don't mess up. Heck, Brady wasn't really considered a HOF caliber guy until probably 2005 or so. He threw sideways, made smart decisions, relied on the running game and the defense, and was a true leader.

You put Tannehill on Seattle and he'd be in the playoffs. He wouldn't be a world beater, but he'd be playing more to his level aka throw the ball 25-30 times per game and let things slow down before putting the team on his shoulders.

Matt Moore is an exciting QB. But he's a poor man's Tony Romo, fearless and reckless. Not sure he would thrive in this offense or with having to carry a team.

Pat Devlin did not have the pedigree or experience of Brady coming out of college. His arm is even weaker. Why didn't a team scoop him up off the PS? Belichick had to carry 4 QBs because he knew someone would grab Brady.

I understand your anger, but the comparison doesn't work and there are more examples of 1st Rd QBs who develop as opposed to late drafted gems. Give Tannehill his 3rd year, which is usually when the lightbulb goes off if you are "the guy".


Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8017
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:
Based on what I feel most of the opinions I read on here is, Coaches is what makes a QB. In other words, you're saying Tom Brady didn't make Tom Brady, Bill Belichick made Tom Brady.


I don't remember anyone saying that. Most people here and in the national media see Tannehill as a quarterback that made a big jump in performance this year over last year, but he regressed his last two games. Also, most feel that the OL was a huge hinderance to the passing and running games, and Tannehill did well despite getting hit so much. He also outperformed Luck, Dalton, Ryan, Rivers and Brady this year.

Belichick did not make Brady. He saw the talent and his coachability and made the choice to start him.

Tannehill has pinpoint accuracy on the short to medium throws. He also throws well on the run. He is very tough physically and mentally.

Tannehill has his problems. He does not feel the pass rush as he is going through his progressions. That could be corrected with another year of development as the NFL slows down. He needs to get much better accuracy on his deep passes. The Dolphins did not work on that much this year, but it could also fall on his skill set, too. I think we'll know better with another year of development. A third thing I'd like for Tannehill to develop is his decision making on whether to tuck the ball and run.

I think you are premature in your criticism of Tannehill. There are other problems to address right now, and right now Tannehill looks like a positive rather than a negative. If he looked like Blaine Gabbert I would be saying to pull the plug.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:22 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:
Do you guys remember when Drew Bledsoe got benched over Tom Brady? How controversial that was, when it actually occurred...?

I personally do not. What I recall was Bledsoe being knock out for the yr in 2001 by a vicious hit in Game 2. & Brady lead them to a SB victory.

Quote:
During the second game of the 2001 season, Bledsoe was hit by New York Jets linebacker Mo Lewis and suffered a sheared blood vessel in his chest.


So basically Belichick went to his backup Qb when his starter was injured for the yr. What other coach would have done something so outragous? BTW Belichick became a genius after that illogical move.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:28 am
Profile
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3553
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
At this point clearly the problem is not Tannehill. Unfortunately that seems to be the easiest part. Putting the finger on what is the exact problem like in years past seems to be not obtainable. I sure hope we dont waste this kid to either a mediocre career here or a successful career elsewhere.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:39 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2625
Location: MA.
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:
Do you guys remember when Drew Bledsoe got benched over Tom Brady? How controversial that was, when it actually occurred...?

I personally do not. What I recall was Bledsoe being knock out for the yr in 2001 by a vicious hit in Game 2. & Brady lead them to a SB victory.

Quote:
During the second game of the 2001 season, Bledsoe was hit by New York Jets linebacker Mo Lewis and suffered a sheared blood vessel in his chest.


So basically Belichick went to his backup Qb when his starter was injured for the yr. What other coach would have done something so outragous? BTW Belichick became a genius after that illogical move.


Bledsoe wasn't out for the year because of injury..It was by choice.

He did play later in the year.

There was a contriversy of who should start in NE.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:21 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:
Do you guys remember when Drew Bledsoe got benched over Tom Brady? How controversial that was, when it actually occurred...?

I personally do not. What I recall was Bledsoe being knock out for the yr in 2001 by a vicious hit in Game 2. & Brady lead them to a SB victory.

Quote:
During the second game of the 2001 season, Bledsoe was hit by New York Jets linebacker Mo Lewis and suffered a sheared blood vessel in his chest.


So basically Belichick went to his backup Qb when his starter was injured for the yr. What other coach would have done something so outragous? BTW Belichick became a genius after that illogical move.


Here's the story, people in New England were upset, I have a friend who lives there who is a Patsy fan:

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/c ... 82948.html


Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5279
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Again, Brady showed promise in practice and training camps while earning the respect of his teammates. The chemistry was building. Belichick also couldn't put him on the PS because he would have been claimed.

Devlin has done none of that. This comparison just doesn't fit. Other teams aren't after his services.

If you want to argue Miami should trade for Kirk Cousins because he has an IT factor and teammates love him as a leader then at least there is some validity to a comparison.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:22 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
jammer wrote:
Again, Brady showed promise in practice and training camps while earning the respect of his teammates. The chemistry was building. Belichick also couldn't put him on the PS because he would have been claimed.

Devlin has done none of that. This comparison just doesn't fit. Other teams aren't after his services.

If you want to argue Miami should trade for Kirk Cousins because he has an IT factor and teammates love him as a leader then at least there is some validity to a comparison.


Well this is when we will disagree, most Patriots fans wanted Drew Bledsoe.

My point is, we lost 2 seasons thinking Tannehill is the one, when we should be using players who give us the best chance to get into the playoffs.

Most great QB's hate to lose and I do not see that in Tannehill.

He could have carried us over the Jets, if he had that drive. (My opinion)


Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:33 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:

Here's the story, people in New England were upset, I have a friend who lives there who is a Patsy fan:l

I do not see where it says people in NE were upset. I see where Bledsoe was. Why would they be upset? Brady matched his win total in half a season from the prior yr.

I was off with Bledsoe being out the rest of the yr. What I get for going off memory. Thought I recalled Bledsoe about dying from the injury & was lost for the yr. That might have been Chris Simms I was thinking off. Bledsoe did not play anymore in 2001.

However, Bledsoe was not bench for Brady. Bledsoe was injured missed 8 games & Brady took his job with excellent play.

NE was 5-11 the prior yr ( 2000 ) with Bledsoe starting. Started 0-2 with Bledsoe starting in 2001. Factor in Bledsoe's play had been declining since the '96 Super Bowl.

NE was 5-3 with Brady starting while Bledsoe was injured. What coach in his right mind would insert Bledsoe back into the lineup? That decision was made for him based on facts of better play. It was a no brainer IMO.

Bledsoe lost his job because a better QB took it while he was out injured.

Bilichick never benched a healthy Bledsoe for Brady. If Bledsoe does not get injured the odds are Brady never sees the field in 2001 and the Oakland Raiders or Rams would have been the SB Champs


Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:53 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
I do not see how you are comparing the two. If Tanny were injured & Delvin came in & went 5-3 and was playing well. I would not expect to see Tanny back in there.

Especially if Miami went 5-11 the prior yr.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:58 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

Here's the story, fans in New England were upset, I have a friend who lives there who is a Patsy fan:l

I do not see where it says people in NE were upset. I see where Bledsoe was. Why would they be upset? Brady matched his win total in half a season from the prior yr.

I was off with Bledsoe being out the rest of the yr. What I get for going off memory. Thought I recalled Bledsoe about dying from the injury & was lost for the yr. That might have been Chris Simms I was thinking off. Bledsoe did not play anymore in 2001.

However, Bledsoe was not bench for Brady. Bledsoe was injured missed 8 games & Brady took his job with excellent play.

NE was 5-11 the prior yr ( 2000 ) with Bledsoe starting. Started 0-2 with Bledsoe starting in 2001. Factor in Bledsoe's play had been declining since the '96 Super Bowl.

NE was 5-3 with Brady starting while Bledsoe was injured. What coach in his right mind would insert Bledsoe back into the lineup? That decision was made for him based on facts of better play. It was a no brainer IMO.

Bledsoe lost his job because a better QB took it while he was out injured.

Bilichick never benched a healthy Bledsoe for Brady. If Bledsoe does not get injured the odds are Brady never sees the field in 2001 and the Oakland Raiders or Rams would have been the SB Champs


First and foremost, you're wrong.

I wrote my post straight of memory , with regard to Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady. It's obvious what I wrote and all my opinions are not all in that article (how could they be), but I have an excellent memory, and add my opinions to the post.

What I know is, the fans in New England were split and upset Bledsoe was benched. (Brady was something like a 3rd round pick, if not lower.)

If it had happened here, in Miami, I am sure most on here would have said, Bledsoe is still learning on the job and deserves it, give him 3,4,5 years, a better back, a better OL, better DL and so on, and you're are so wrong, in my opinion.

All I am trying to convince you of is, don't try to force me with Chad Henne or Ryan Tannehill, when Matt Moore or Pat Devlin or another QB would have gotten us into to the playoffs, in my opinion, and achieved the same or better results .

I feel we overreached taking Tannehill at the # 8 position, when we could have nabbed Ryan Mallet and started Matt Moore and let the process begin and developed this team .

I'm Leaving out Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins, from drafting Ryan Mallet, because I did not have either of them on my radar screen, but seriously, you don't draft someone # 1 and expect him to be great out of the gate.

I predict in 3-4 years, Tannehill will be gone. I said the same thing about Henne, Fiedler and Ronnie Brown.

Today's NFL, you have to produce early or your gone.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:27 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5279
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:
Well this is when we will disagree, most Patriots fans wanted Drew Bledsoe.

My point is, we lost 2 seasons thinking Tannehill is the one, when we should be using players who give us the best chance to get into the playoffs.

Most great QB's hate to lose and I do not see that in Tannehill.

He could have carried us over the Jets, if he had that drive. (My opinion)


Couldn't be further from the truth. I've lived in MA almost my entire life and was up here when the Pats won the 1st Super Bowl. Fans were losing faith in Bledsoe and there was a buzz from almost Day 1 when Brady took over. He leapfrogged the backup (name escapes me) and was being hyped up by the local writers.

NE fans are so whacky that a lot of them were talking it was time to move forward with Cassell after the 08 season.

My point had nothing to do with fans and everything to do with teammates. Brady was winning them and the coaching staff over right away.

How has Miami wasted 2 seasons with him? The coaches stripped the team down over the last 2 years and replaced it with their own guys. Its not like Tannehill walked on to a playoff team. He almost got them to the playoffs this year behind zero ground game and a spotty defense. By your logic Joe Flacco must be a scrub too.

The problem over the last two games, on top of Tannehill's inability to have a good game, was the defense and running game could not contribute. The coaches played it business as usual rather than adjust to a lethal pass rush in Buffalo and an injured QB against the Jets who could not step into throws to be accurate (watch the Baltimore game, same crap happened to Flacco).

I'd like to see what your comments were after the Indy game, Cincy game, Pitt game and second NE game. Was he folding like a lawn chair?


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:35 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5279
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:
First and foremost, you're wrong.

I wrote my post straight of memory , with regard to Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady. It's obvious what I wrote and all my opinions are not all in that article (how could they be), but I have an excellent memory, and add my opinions to the post.

What I know is, the fans in New England were split and upset Bledsoe was benched. (Brady was something like a 3rd round pick, if not lower.)

If it had happened here, in Miami, I am sure most on here would have said, Bledsoe is still learning on the job and deserves it, give him 3,4,5 years, a better back, a better OL, better DL and so on, and you're are so wrong, in my opinion.

All I am trying to convince you of is, don't try to force me with Chad Henne or Ryan Tannehill, when Matt Moore or Pat Devlin or another QB would have gotten us into to the playoffs, in my opinion, and achieved the same or better results .

I feel we overreached taking Tannehill at the # 8 position, when we could have nabbed Ryan Mallet and started Matt Moore and let the process begin and developed this team .

I'm Leaving out Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins, from drafting Ryan Mallet, because I did not have either of them on my radar screen, but seriously, you don't draft someone # 1 and expect him to be great out of the gate.

I predict in 3-4 years, Tannehill will be gone. I said the same thing about Henne, Fiedler and Ronnie Brown.

Today's NFL, you have to produce early or your gone.


Your facts are way off pal.

Ryan Mallett and Ryan Tannehill were not in the same draft. Cousins and Foles were not in Mallett's draft either.

You just completely contradicted yourself by saying you don't take someone #1 and expect them to be good out of the gate. So basically we shouldn't expect Tannehill to be good but we should get rid of him because well, he wasn't elite out of the gate.

Drew Bledsoe was 10 years into his career when he lost his job, he wasn't a 2nd year guy still learning. The fans were not split on Bledsoe. They were elated to have this underdog story occur when boy wonder hadn't delivered a Super Bowl after a decade of service.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:41 pm
Profile
Online
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5148
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
these posts are just crazy


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:44 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:

First and foremost, you're wrong.

I wrote my post straight of memory , with regard to Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady. It's obvious what I wrote and all my opinions are not all in that article (how could they be), but I have an excellent memory, and add my opinions to the post.

What I know is, the fans in New England were split and upset Bledsoe was benched. (Brady was something like a 3rd round pick, if not lower.)

Don't sit & tell everyone what an excellent memory after you have been quoted stating "Marino was bench." Marino was NEVER benched.

Not knowing what Rd. Brady was drafted. He was a 6th Rd. pick.

I'm sure in your small circle of friends some were upset. That does not make me wrong. The fans that were mostly likely upset were what I call fly by fans. Fans who pay little attention & only remember names. Fans that knew Bledsoe lead the team to the SB in '96, but paid little attention to his play afterwards.

Its obvious your memory is not nearly as good as you would like for us to believe it is.


dolphans1 wrote:

If it had happened here, in Miami, I am sure most on here would have said, Bledsoe is still learning on the job and deserves it, give him 3,4,5 years, a better back, a better OL, better DL and so on, and you're are so wrong, in my opinion.
Bledsoe was 29 Yrs old at the time & a 9 Yr vet with declining skills at this time Brady took over when Bledsoe was injured.

Little different from a 25 yr old 2nd yr vet.

dolphans1 wrote:

All I am trying to convince you of is, don't try to force me with Chad Henne or Ryan Tannehill, when Matt Moore or Pat Devlin or another QB would have gotten us into to the playoffs, in my opinion, and achieved the same or better results .
Its your opinion based on nothing but its your opinion. Have either one of them ever lead a team to the playoffs that would provide some basis that they could?

dolphans1 wrote:

I feel we overreached taking Tannehill at the # 8 position, when we could have nabbed Ryan Mallet and started Matt Moore and let the process begin and developed this team .
Preaching to the choir on reaching for Tanny. I'm on record saying so. Many times.

Ryan Mallet? Jury is still out on if he can even play in the league. Off field issue were his downfall. He went to the best spot for him to go to.

dolphans1 wrote:

I'm Leaving out Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins, from drafting Ryan Mallet, because I did not have either of them on my radar screen, but seriously, you don't draft someone # 1 and expect him to be great out of the gate.
You are hind-sighting this. No one knew Foles would play like he has. Cousins has been good, but so far nothing special.

dolphans1 wrote:

I predict in 3-4 years, Tannehill will be gone. I said the same thing about Henne, Fiedler and Ronnie Brown.
Good for you. Tanny may be gone. Only time will tell.

dolphans1 wrote:

Today's NFL, you have to produce early or your gone.
Its why many players end up being better for their 2nd team.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:45 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:08 pm
Posts: 344
Location: Cincinnati
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Nick Foles has an oline.
Nick Foles has McCoy.

Yeah, that's fair.

_________________
Image


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:47 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
jammer wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:
Well this is when we will disagree, most Patriots fans wanted Drew Bledsoe.

My point is, we lost 2 seasons thinking Tannehill is the one, when we should be using players who give us the best chance to get into the playoffs.

Most great QB's hate to lose and I do not see that in Tannehill.

He could have carried us over the Jets, if he had that drive. (My opinion)


Couldn't be further from the truth. I've lived in MA almost my entire life and was up here when the Pats won the 1st Super Bowl. Fans were losing faith in Bledsoe and there was a buzz from almost Day 1 when Brady took over. He leapfrogged the backup (name escapes me) and was being hyped up by the local writers.

NE fans are so whacky that a lot of them were talking it was time to move forward with Cassell after the 08 season.

My point had nothing to do with fans and everything to do with teammates. Brady was winning them and the coaching staff over right away.

How has Miami wasted 2 seasons with him? The coaches stripped the team down over the last 2 years and replaced it with their own guys. Its not like Tannehill walked on to a playoff team. He almost got them to the playoffs this year behind zero ground game and a spotty defense. By your logic Joe Flacco must be a scrub too.

The problem over the last two games, on top of Tannehill's inability to have a good game, was the defense and running game could not contribute. The coaches played it business as usual rather than adjust to a lethal pass rush in Buffalo and an injured QB against the Jets who could not step into throws to be accurate (watch the Baltimore game, same crap happened to Flacco).

I'd like to see what your comments were after the Indy game, Cincy game, Pitt game and second NE game. Was he folding like a lawn chair?


Matt Moore, was the better QB in 2012, we would have made the playoffs with him that year, had he started the entire season.

I felt we were rushing Tannehill, why?

With regard to this season, its a total shame at some point Tannehill was not benched, because we weren't scoring enough points or he was being sacked too many times, had Matt Moore of Pat Devlin played, we would have won a lot of those close games.

Case in point, 8 quarters of football (last 2 games), we only score 7 points?, if that's the case, what does it matter? Moore or Devlin or even Stephen Ross (if he suited up) could do no worse.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:48 pm
Profile
Online
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5148
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
the referee needs to step in and stop this fight. It's a TKO!


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:49 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
swerve13 wrote:
the referee needs to step in and stop this fight. It's a TKO!


LOL, I forfeit.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:50 pm
Profile
Online
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5148
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
the referee needs to step in and stop this fight. It's a TKO!


LOL, I forfeit.


I hope you do because i can't watch it anymore


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:51 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
jammer wrote:
Couldn't be further from the truth. I've lived in MA almost my entire life and was up here when the Pats won the 1st Super Bowl. Fans were losing faith in Bledsoe and there was a buzz from almost Day 1 when Brady took over. He leapfrogged the backup (name escapes me) and was being hyped up by the local writers.

Wasn't it Miami's very own Damon Huard?


Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:
Matt Moore, was the better QB in 2012, we would have made the playoffs with him that year, had he started the entire season.
Odds are he probably was the better Qb over the rookie.

dolphans1 wrote:
I felt we were rushing Tannehill, why?
Because he should he could handle the position & IMO did.

dolphans1 wrote:
With regard to this season, its a total shame at some point Tannehill was not benched, because we weren't scoring enough points or he was being sacked too many times, had Matt Moore of Pat Devlin played, we would have won a lot of those close games.
I understand you promoting Moore. We know what he can do & might can do. However, you lose everyone when you continually say Miami could & would have won with Delvin. He is a 3rd string QB for a reason & its not because he is NFL ready. He might have long range prospects, but he is not ready to play.

Case in point, 8 quarters of football (last 2 games), we only score 7 points?, if that's the case, what does it matter? Moore or Devlin or even Stephen Ross (if he suited up) could do no worse.[/quote]


Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:01 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
jammer wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:
First and foremost, you're wrong.

I wrote my post straight of memory , with regard to Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady. It's obvious what I wrote and all my opinions are not all in that article (how could they be), but I have an excellent memory, and add my opinions to the post.

What I know is, the fans in New England were split and upset Bledsoe was benched. (Brady was something like a 3rd round pick, if not lower.)

If it had happened here, in Miami, I am sure most on here would have said, Bledsoe is still learning on the job and deserves it, give him 3,4,5 years, a better back, a better OL, better DL and so on, and you're are so wrong, in my opinion.

All I am trying to convince you of is, don't try to force me with Chad Henne or Ryan Tannehill, when Matt Moore or Pat Devlin or another QB would have gotten us into to the playoffs, in my opinion, and achieved the same or better results .

I feel we overreached taking Tannehill at the # 8 position, when we could have nabbed Ryan Mallet and started Matt Moore and let the process begin and developed this team .

I'm Leaving out Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins, from drafting Ryan Mallet, because I did not have either of them on my radar screen, but seriously, you don't draft someone # 1 and expect him to be great out of the gate.

I predict in 3-4 years, Tannehill will be gone. I said the same thing about Henne, Fiedler and Ronnie Brown.

Today's NFL, you have to produce early or your gone.


Your facts are way off pal.

Ryan Mallett and Ryan Tannehill were not in the same draft. Cousins and Foles were not in Mallett's draft either.

You just completely contradicted yourself by saying you don't take someone #1 and expect them to be good out of the gate. So basically we shouldn't expect Tannehill to be good but we should get rid of him because well, he wasn't elite out of the gate.

Drew Bledsoe was 10 years into his career when he lost his job, he wasn't a 2nd year guy still learning. The fans were not split on Bledsoe. They were elated to have this underdog story occur when boy wonder hadn't delivered a Super Bowl after a decade of service.


Yes you're correct, I messed up and got my year crossed up. Mallet was in the 2011 draft, so I defer, wanted him but made a mistake.

Cam Newton QB Auburn 1 1(1) Carolina
Jake Locker QB Washington 1 8(8) Tennessee
Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri 1 10(10) Jacksonville
Christian Ponder QB Florida State 1 12(12) Minnesota
Andy Dalton QB TCU 2 3(35) Cincinnati
Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada 2 4(36) San Francisco
Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas 3 10(74) New England
Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa 5 4(135) Kansas City
T.J. Yates QB North Carolina 5 21(152) Houston
Nathan Enderle QB Idaho 5 29(160) Chicago
Tyrod Taylor QB Virginia Tech 6 15(180) Baltimore
Greg McElroy QB Alabama 7 5(208) NY Jets


Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:04 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:
Matt Moore, was the better QB in 2012, we would have made the playoffs with him that year, had he started the entire season.
Odds are he probably was the better Qb over the rookie.

dolphans1 wrote:
I felt we were rushing Tannehill, why?
Because he should he could handle the position & IMO did.

dolphans1 wrote:
With regard to this season, its a total shame at some point Tannehill was not benched, because we weren't scoring enough points or he was being sacked too many times, had Matt Moore of Pat Devlin played, we would have won a lot of those close games.
I understand you promoting Moore. We know what he can do & might can do. However, you lose everyone when you continually say Miami could & would have won with Delvin. He is a 3rd string QB for a reason & its not because he is NFL ready. He might have long range prospects, but he is not ready to play.

Case in point, 8 quarters of football (last 2 games), we only score 7 points?, if that's the case, what does it matter? Moore or Devlin or even Stephen Ross (if he suited up) could do no worse.
[/quote]

I've seen Devlin play and feel he's better than Tannehill. I may be wrong, but I feel he's a good QB. Like I said before, I would have gone with Matt Moore, because of experience.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

First and foremost, you're wrong.

I wrote my post straight of memory , with regard to Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady. It's obvious what I wrote and all my opinions are not all in that article (how could they be), but I have an excellent memory, and add my opinions to the post.

What I know is, the fans in New England were split and upset Bledsoe was benched. (Brady was something like a 3rd round pick, if not lower.)

Don't sit & tell everyone what an excellent memory after you have been quoted stating "Marino was bench." Marino was NEVER benched.

Not true, Marino was benched if I recall was in 1985 against Houston (the Oilers), I was there on field, Don Strock came in, I forget what quarter, but we got up early, then got down, Marino threw like 2 picks, he was horrible.

I forget at what point Strock came in, but we lost by 3 or 2 points and I recall Shula saying he brought Strock in to create a spark. I'm not sure if it was in the 3rd or 4th quarter, but Marino sucked in this game, and we almost won with Don Strock.

I was there.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:30 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3842
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
dolphans1 wrote:
Not true, Marino was benched if I recall was in 1985 against Houston (the Oilers), I was there on field, Don Strock came in, I forget what quarter, but we got up early, then got down, Marino threw like 2 picks, he was horrible.

I forget at what point Strock came in, but we lost by 3 or 2 points and I recall Shula saying he brought Strock in to create a spark. I'm not sure if it was in the 3rd or 4th quarter, but Marino sucked in this game, and we almost won with Don Strock.

I was there.

If you are calling that a benching then Okay. I took you calling him being benched as not starting for several games. Not being replaced for a quarter. Just about every QB at some point or another has been replaced for part of a game. BTW, if memory serves me correct Marino held out prior to the season & did not play a preseason game that yr. So the Houston game was his first game action since the Super Bowl.

Steve Young was pulled from a game against Philly the yr he won the SB, but I would never call that a benching.

However, if you want to call it a benching & I guess technically it is, but its not what I thought you were referencing by benching. I consider what Miami did to Henne back in '10 as a benching. "Telling him, You are not starting anytime soon"


Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:02 pm
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am
Posts: 187
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask
Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:
Not true, Marino was benched if I recall was in 1985 against Houston (the Oilers), I was there on field, Don Strock came in, I forget what quarter, but we got up early, then got down, Marino threw like 2 picks, he was horrible.

I forget at what point Strock came in, but we lost by 3 or 2 points and I recall Shula saying he brought Strock in to create a spark. I'm not sure if it was in the 3rd or 4th quarter, but Marino sucked in this game, and we almost won with Don Strock.

I was there.

If you are calling that a benching then Okay. I took you calling him being benched as not starting for several games. Not being replaced for a quarter. Just about every QB at some point or another has been replaced for part of a game. BTW, if memory serves me correct Marino held out prior to the season & did not play a preseason game that yr. So the Houston game was his first game action since the Super Bowl.

Steve Young was pulled from a game against Philly the yr he won the SB, but I would never call that a benching.

However, if you want to call it a benching & I guess technically it is, but its not what I thought you were referencing by benching. I consider what Miami did to Henne back in '10 as a benching. "Telling him, You are not starting anytime soon"


Yes exactly what I meant, try to switch up, go with s different pitcher (QB), something, to create a spark or something.

It's something to bring in a QB off the bench to get a possible win or to just mop up and absorb a loss (and avoid injury).


Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5418
Post Re: Nick Foles better than Ryan Tannehill, don't believe me, ask

Yes exactly what I meant, try to switch up, go with s different pitcher (QB), something, to create a spark or something.


You don't win consistantly doing this.


Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:50 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dolphindebby, Google [Bot], phinsfansc, swerve13 and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.