View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Ryan Tannehill diplomatic on Mike Sherman's system 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ryan Tannehill diplomatic on Mike Sherman's system
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... l/4304511/

Quote:
Ryan Tannehill was silent for a moment when asked if the Miami Dolphins' offense focuses enough on matchups, which probably said plenty even before he began speaking.
"I think we try to," Tannehill told USA TODAY Sports recently, "but a lot of our offense is progression-read."

Tannehill has spent six years in that offense, dating to his days at Texas A&M under Mike Sherman, who was fired as head coach in December 2011 and became the Dolphins' coordinator a couple months later.

BELL: Playoff questions to ponder

They've ranked 27th in offense both years since, despite their young quarterback's development and substantial investment in the weapons around him.
Running a system-based offense in a matchup league is part of the problem.

"You have alerts that you can take advantage of," Tannehill said. "But that's just our system at this point. I would say 80 to 90 percent of it is just going through progression."
Tannehill's eyes tell the tale. Defenses can dictate some throws by the looks they throw at him. Too often, he's simply not getting to the open man.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:17 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill diplomatic on Mike Sherman's system
Running a system-based offense in a matchup league is part of the problem.

This is why the game has passed Sherman. Making changes on the fly, playing chess is what makes coaches successful.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sherman has been public enemy # 1 in my book for several weeks now, even in front of Ireland. This guy is a complete cancer to the team, my enthusiasm for 2014 will be completely shot if this stubborn jackass is still "running" the team. Here is the question though, would Ross/Ireland (Or insert name if new GM here) recruit another WCO guy, or is there a good possibility Tannehill will be learning an entirely new playbook?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:06 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Sherman has been public enemy # 1 in my book for several weeks now, even in front of Ireland. This guy is a complete cancer to the team, my enthusiasm for 2014 will be completely shot if this stubborn jackass is still "running" the team. Here is the question though, would Ross/Ireland (Or insert name if new GM here) recruit another WCO guy, or is there a good possibility Tannehill will be learning an entirely new playbook?

Tannehill has only known Shermans offense from college to the pros. So you have a good point. Question is if it become a crutch is the patience there while he is learning a new system. Or is it just more ammunition for more excuses.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If Tannehill can't learn a new offense he is not the guy. It may take half a season to master some of it, but it shouldn't hinder him from taking the next step.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:28 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

If Tannehill can't learn a new offense he is not the guy. It may take half a season to master some of it, but it shouldn't hinder him from taking the next step.

QBs learn new systems all the time. I don't see it being a problem. IF anything, he'll prob. improve his game. I do agree with Jammer, if he can't, he's gone.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
QBs learn new systems all the time. I don't see it being a problem. IF anything, he'll prob. improve his game. I do agree with Jammer, if he can't, he's gone.

Ya they learning them ..... but there's a huge difference between that and actually executing one.

It's going to be interesting. He won't have the crutch of familiarity, which helped him transition into the pro's. He's going to have to think more and considering his lack of natural feel for the pocket, it's going to be a little bit harder imo.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Reading between the lines it sounds like Tannehill wants to grow and develop more as a quarterback and Sherman is stunting his growth.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]