View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Ryan Tannehill is still our guy 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ryan Tannehill is still our guy
I know there have been other threads on this topic, but I am coming from my point of view.

I understand frustration with the way the season ended. For those fans that think we should draft another QB or just that Tannehill isn't the answer, try and keep his situation in this perspective. He threw for over 3900 yards 24 Touchdowns against 17 Interceptions his SECOND year as an NFL starter and after just so many college ball starts.

As JUST an example: In Troy Aikman's first two seasons, he threw 9 touchdowns vs 18 interceptions his first year along with 1700 plus yards passing then his SECOND season he threw 11 touchdown passes vs 18 interceptions and 2500 yards passing. Even his year 3 he threw for 11 touchdown passes vs 10 interceptions and 2700 yards (he got hurt played 12 games).

It wasn't until his FOURTH year that he flourished more with his stats and went to a Superbowl.

I bet Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson were glad they were patient and stuck with him....

We all have little patience as Dolphin fans, but Tanny needs more time before you start calling for another QB. Give him a better offensive line, get Gibson and Binns back at receiver to go along with Wallace, Hartline and Matthews and a blocking full-back and his 3900 yards passing could easily turn into 4500 or more and you can bet on more touchdown passes and a better QB ratio too.

Yes, I believe Tanny is still our future and best bet to get this team to the next level.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill is still our guy
Tannehill is Miami's guy for at least 2 more seasons. If he takes the next step he's here for the long haul. If he tanks next year he's good enough to be a bridge guy until the next answer arrives via the draft.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:08 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Really hardly any other QB's I would rather have. Potential MVP , potential super bowl winner.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:22 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I think with better coaching, OL, and RBs he will be good, top 10 IMO. BUT....he needs to step up in the pocket and know where the rush is coming from. His deep ball needs major amounts of help too.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
I know there have been other threads on this topic, but I am coming from my point of view.

I understand frustration with the way the season ended. For those fans that think we should draft another QB or just that Tannehill isn't the answer, try and keep his situation in this perspective. He threw for over 3900 yards 24 Touchdowns against 17 Interceptions his SECOND year as an NFL starter and after just so many college ball starts.

As JUST an example: In Troy Aikman's first two seasons, he threw 9 touchdowns vs 18 interceptions his first year along with 1700 plus yards passing then his SECOND season he threw 11 touchdown passes vs 18 interceptions and 2500 yards passing. Even his year 3 he threw for 11 touchdown passes vs 10 interceptions and 2700 yards (he got hurt played 12 games).

It wasn't until his FOURTH year that he flourished more with his stats and went to a Superbowl.

I bet Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson were glad they were patient and stuck with him....

We all have little patience as Dolphin fans, but Tanny needs more time before you start calling for another QB. Give him a better offensive line, get Gibson and Binns back at receiver to go along with Wallace, Hartline and Matthews and a blocking full-back and his 3900 yards passing could easily turn into 4500 or more and you can bet on more touchdown passes and a better QB ratio too.

Yes, I believe Tanny is still our future and best bet to get this team to the next level.

100% agreed FinHead. I've had that state of mind since week 1.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Tannehill is Miami's guy for at least 2 more seasons. If he takes the next step he's here for the long haul. If he tanks next year he's good enough to be a bridge guy until the next answer arrives via the draft.

That's why we need to get him a good coordinater ASAP. So we know for sure if he is our guy for the next 7 years or not.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

That's why we need to get him a good coordinater ASAP. So we know for sure if he is our guy for the next 7 years or not.

I agree Swerve and time to cut the Sherman ties and allow another more innovative mind to steer Tannehill forward now.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:

I agree Swerve and time to cut the Sherman ties and allow another more innovative mind to steer Tannehill forward now.

I wish we had Trestman or Mike McCoy working with him.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
In the first 14 games of the season, Tannehill completed 62.4 percent of his passes, averaged 259 yards and tallying a passer rating of 86.6.

His stats in his final two: 44.8, 143 and 43.5.

No big surprise then that the Dolphins were outscored 39-7 in the season’s final 120 minutes and out of the playoffs for a fifth consecutive season.

“We didn’t finish strong, plain and simple,” said Tannehill, whose career record as a starter is 15-17. “We didn’t finish the way we wanted to. Obviously none of us saw this coming.”

Perhaps not. But many of the issues were there all along, but simply masked by the team’s success in early December.

The Dolphins’ offensive line allowed 51 sacks in the first 14 games. It surrendered seven in the final two. Miami’s ground attack averaged 95 rushing yards through mid-December. It went for 14 and 92 in games book-ending Christmas.

And the Dolphins somehow managed to go 8-6 despite Tannehill misfiring on the deep ball time and again. They lost their last two games largely because he never could fix the problem.

Tannehill completed just 25 percent of his passes thrown 20 yards or longer this season, and threw more interceptions (six) than touchdowns (three) on attempts of that length.

Mike Wallace had only five touchdowns all season. Considering how open as he consistently found himself, he could have had 10 more, including one on a play that defines this wasted season.

The Dolphins were leading the offensively impotent Jets 7-0 in the first half when Wallace, yet again, got behind the secondary. A completion there could have put the game out of reach. Instead, Tannehill overthrew his receiver, and the Dolphins did not score again in 2013

If Tannehill hits 5 of those deep balls is everyone still on the choping block...I say yes to Sherman anyway(go go) and Coyle for the decline even though he had an improved secondary(talent wise) with an already stout front 7.

Another note..The story don't say that of the last 2 games sacks 3 were on the running backs.The oline was playing better down the stretch despite the go go telling the defense what was coming.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/05/3 ... rylink=cpy

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:56 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I would say that Tannehill is safe as the starting QB for another year. I liked a lot of what I saw from him, but he does need to improve in a few areas: the deep pass, feeling the pass pressure, and reading his progressions quicker. He needs to take another step forward next year. Fading the last two games when we needed him the most has a lot of us scratching our head. One thing is that he improved this year despite taking more than 20 more sacks than in his rookie season.

ESPN wrote:
RPowersPA: is tannehill the QB of the future for MIami
Jan. 3, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

Walker: It’s still too early to tell. I said back in training camp that a huge goal this year was to find out if Tannehill was the long-term solution. Miami did not accomplish that goal. Tannehill showed flashes, as well as some holes in his game. But it’s fair to say any quarterback who is sacked a franchise-record 58 times and has the NFL’s 26th-ranked running game didn’t get much of a fair shake.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/ ... o-survives

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tanny will be the Qb unless Philben is replaced. Then its up to the new coach if he think Tanny is the guy.

This draft is loaded with Qbs. Unless Miami thinks Delvin is capable of developing into a starter, they need to draft a QB with the tools to develop in a lower Rd. Logan Thomas is a raw prospect the MIGHT ( I say MIGHT ) can develop into a starter down the road.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
But it’s fair to say any quarterback who is sacked a franchise-record 58 times and has the NFL’s 26th-ranked running game didn’t get much of a fair shake.

This sums it up for me....at least until we see more support for Tannehill. Do you draft another QB, probably because I agree there are a lot of young up and coming QB's in the draft, but Tanny I believe is still our guy.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:30 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Dphins4me wrote:
Tanny will be the Qb unless Philben is replaced. Then its up to the new coach if he think Tanny is the guy.

This draft is loaded with Qbs. Unless Miami thinks Delvin is capable of developing into a starter, they need to draft a QB with the tools to develop in a lower Rd. Logan Thomas is a raw prospect the MIGHT ( I say MIGHT ) can develop into a starter down the road.

I think he deserved a chance, I placed him higher than Moore, because Moore looked bad or mad during preseason. Let's face it Matt Moore was screwed over by Coach Philbin.

If I recall, Pat Devlin was regarded as one of the top ten quarterbacks entering the draft and was shocked he was not drafted.

I hate with so much passion, that we didn't try Devlin the last game against the Jets or somewhere in the season.

My credibilty and reasoning, Tannehill played horribly against the Bills.

This season, in my opinion, was a complete wasted season, it did nothing to help Tannehill in his development, and I could make an argument it destroyed him mentally and set him back even further.

Don Shula was a no nonsense coach and would have tried something different.

This season by far, as a fan, was one of the worst most grinding seasons, primarily because of an incompetent coaching staff and the fact we were in position with so much talent on this team.

They never made any adjustments and took zero risks during the entire season.

We are now drafting so low in the draft, that our finish this season doesn't even help us with the draft, this season has set us back, with more questions than answers.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am actually a bit shocked someone is on the Pat Devlin bandwagon as I just don't see it, sorry.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:42 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Finhead34 wrote:
I am actually a bit shocked someone is on the Pat Devlin bandwagon as I just don't see it, sorry.

It's not that I'm on it, its just, lets try to make a change to save the season.

Tannehill makes too many mistakes, throws too many picks and takes too many sacks.

If Tannehill runs a lot more, we easily win 3 more games this season.

It's almost like Tannehil is being told what to do or not do or he doesn't get it.

Tannehill got beat by Thad Lewis and Geno Smith, are you kidding....?

Let's say I am way off base, we play Devlin and he tanks and fails (and I don't think so), but for this example he fails, then it takes a lot of pressure off of Tannehill.

It's a team game, and sometimes sitting/standing on the sideline makes you see what you're doing wrong.

When your season hinges on 1 game and you do nothing, I have a real big problem with that.

If I was Stephen Ross, I would have fired the entire Coaching staff and front office in a nano second.

These 2 last losses to me are totally unacceptable.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:54 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finhead34 wrote:

I hear ya!

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Big Dave wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

I hear ya!

I am sorry you guys don't see my point of view, though it makes a lot of sense to me.

Football is all about mental capacity, and if you let Tannehill off for his disastrous fail in his last 2 games and not hold him accountable for his losses, he will never improve, mentally.

Coaching staff should have nipped all this in the butt earlier in the season.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

I agree with you on this comment Dolphans1, but also putting the entire season into perspective, Tannehill was sacked 58 times and really had no consistent running game either.

Yes, those last two games were horrendous, but get Tanny some help before we decide if he isn't the QB for the future. Devlin IMO has NOT played in any real live stressful NFL game situation to even suggest he is the answer and I don't believe he would be the guy regardless.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphans1 wrote:
I think he deserved a chance, I placed him higher than Moore, because Moore looked bad or mad during preseason. Let's face it Matt Moore was screwed over by Coach Philbin.
Moore resigned with Miami. He was free to go elsewhere, but choose to be the back up in Miami. Not sure how you think Philben screwed him over.

dolphans1 wrote:
If I recall, Pat Devlin was regarded as one of the top ten quarterbacks entering the draft and was shocked he was not drafted..
If memory is serving me correct. He is believed to not possess an NFL starting Qb arm strength.

dolphans1 wrote:
I hate with so much passion, that we didn't try Devlin the last game against the Jets or somewhere in the season..
Why would they? Tanny played just fine all yr & had normal growing pains.

dolphans1 wrote:

This season, in my opinion, was a complete wasted season, it did nothing to help Tannehill in his development, and I could make an argument it destroyed him mentally and set him back even further.
I think this yr helped him a ton. I do not view Tanny as a mentally weak person.

dolphans1 wrote:
Shula had Griese & Marino. He never had to develop a young Qb who struggled from time to time.

dolphans1 wrote:
This season by far, as a fan, was one of the worst most grinding seasons, primarily because of an incompetent coaching staff and the fact we were in position with so much talent on this team.

Typical yr for me.

dolphans1 wrote:
We are now drafting so low in the draft, that our finish this season doesn't even help us with the draft, this season has set us back, with more questions than answers.
Talent is everywhere in the draft.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:18 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

I agree with you on this comment Dolphans1, but also putting the entire season into perspective, Tannehill was sacked 58 times and really had no consistent running game either.

Yes, those last two games were horrendous, but get Tanny some help before we decide if he isn't the QB for the future. Devlin IMO has NOT played in any real live stressful NFL game situation to even suggest he is the answer and I don't believe he would be the guy regardless.

If you sit Tannehill and bench him in our loss to Buffalo or during the Jets game at the half, he rises to the challenge or he wilts.

A lot of those sacks Tannehill took he could have avoided had he ran.

I feel had we made the playoffs this year, we could have made a decent run. (Chargers beating Bengals)

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:41 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:
Moore resigned with Miami. He was free to go elsewhere, but choose to be the back up in Miami. Not sure how you think Philben screwed him over.

dolphans1 wrote:
If I recall, Pat Devlin was regarded as one of the top ten quarterbacks entering the draft and was shocked he was not drafted..
If memory is serving me correct. He is believed to not possess an NFL starting Qb arm strength.

dolphans1 wrote:
I hate with so much passion, that we didn't try Devlin the last game against the Jets or somewhere in the season..
Why would they? Tanny played just fine all yr & had normal growing pains.

dolphans1 wrote:

I think this yr helped him a ton. I do not view Tanny as a mentally weak person.

dolphans1 wrote:
Shula had Griese & Marino. He never had to develop a young Qb who struggled from time to time.

dolphans1 wrote:

Typical yr for me.

dolphans1 wrote:
Talent is everywhere in the draft.

This is not true, First, David Woodley was the starter as Griese aged, Bob Griese had a very weak arm, but was smart. Woodley reminds me of Tannehill a lot, you felt he had the tools, but always fell a bit short. And David Woodley took the Dolphins to the Super Bow, and had a stronger arm than Dan Marino. But even Woodley would struggle, and Shula created the Wood/Strock program.

Dan Marino was even benched in 1985, when he struggled against the Oilers, and Don Strock brought us back.

What I hate about Philbin, he tried nothing different, at all.

Do I think Ryan Tannehill is a franchise QB or our future....? Simply put, NO.

Why? great future QB players would have beat the Bills and the Jets in our last 2 games.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphans1 wrote:

This is not true, First, David Woodley was the starter as Griese aged, Bob Griese had a very weak arm, but was smart. Woodley reminds me of Tannehill a lot, you felt he had the tools, but always fell a bit short. And David Woodley took the Dolphins to the Super Bow, and had a stronger arm than Dan Marino. But even Woodley would struggle, and Shula created the Wood/Strock program.
Not sure what you are telling me is not true. Its not true Shula had Griese & Marino & never developed a young Qb who struggled?

Woodley was an 8th Rd. pick who was replaced just about every time he started a few games. Griese replaced him in '80 after ineffective play.

Griese may not have had a strong arm. Different era of football. Griese did not have to throw like a QB today does.

dolphans1 wrote:
Dan Marino was even benched in 1985, when he struggled against the Oilers, and Don Strock brought us back.
Already addressed. Game 1 of the '85 season & Marino did not have a preseason because he held out and struggled in that game. Not a huge coaching decision to bring in the vet Qb who you have coached for more than a decade & who had been practicing.

dolphans1 wrote:
What I hate about Philbin, he tried nothing different, at all.
He is letting his young Qb work through his struggles. This is not about Miami this yr.

dolphans1 wrote:
Do I think Ryan Tannehill is a franchise QB or our future....? Simply put, NO.
I'm a little more optimistic on his chances. He went for 24 Tds & 17 Ints in his 2nd Yr. Look for the positives & I believe he will continue to develop. Will he ever be Peyton Manningish? Probably not. I do not feel its time for Miami to throw him away & start over. Do believe they should draft a raw prospect in Rd. 4 or 5. Again I reference a Logan Thomas. Not a threat to Tanny, but big & has a good arm.

dolphans1 wrote:
Why? great future QB players would have beat the Bills and the Jets in our last 2 games.

If it were only this simple.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

24tds is pretty impressive. I believe the last QB for MIA to throw that many was Marino. I may be wrong Kev. Let me know though, ok? :haha

RT has a huge upside IMO. I don't have any faith in the coaching staff....O or D.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Oh he will for sure Mak!

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]