View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Ireland doesn’t speak with Sparano and Parcells anymore. 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ireland doesn’t speak with Sparano and Parcells anymore.
Dan LeBatard wrote:
A few years ago, owner Stephen Ross put Ireland in an impossible, unfair position. Ross has admitted to botching this and says that he didn’t know what he was doing at the time as a new owner. He forced Ireland to choose between his new boss/job and his friends and mentor. Ross wanted to go court Jim Harbaugh to be his new coach, but couldn’t do so by himself, not knowing enough football or his organization, so he had to bring his football guy. And Ireland got on that plane to court Jim Harbaugh. Ross was so naive at the time he actually thought agents would keep this quiet.

All it did was fracture the entire relationship Ireland had with his long-time friend, Tony Sparano, and his mentor, Bill Parcells — and with a betrayal so public and embarrassing that Ross tried to fix it by throwing a bunch of money at a sour Sparano, who hadn’t actually done much to earn it other than be betrayed in a humiliating fashion.

Ireland chose self-preservation over his friends. Ireland chose his family (four kids, two with special needs) over his friends. Ireland chose his one big shot at this kind of job of a lifetime over his friends. A lot of people would have done that. Not a lot of employees getting their big chance would have said, “Um, no, new boss, not getting on that plane.”

A lot of people would have made the mistake Ross did there, too, needing someone in his organization to come with him and talk football with Harbaugh. If Ross goes with someone outside the organization other than Ireland, then he has lost his coach and his GM once it leaks. All of this is easy to see now, with the clarity of retrospect, but “treasured experience” is just another phrase for “I made huge mistakes.”

Ireland doesn’t speak with Sparano and Parcells anymore. The friendships are broken. During the last season of this dysfunction caused by Ross, even the wives of Sparano and Ireland didn’t speak, Sparano’s wife asking that her skybox be moved so she didn’t have to be near that family. If Ross admits he is wrong for how he botched that, and if Ireland showed allegiance to the organization and Ross (and, yes, himself) over his friends, that buys you something with an owner who fancies himself loyal. It buys you, it would appear, more time and rope than most owners would give.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/05/v ... rylink=cpy

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:51 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Ireland doesn’t speak with Sparano and Parcells anymore.
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/04/10-things ... l-manager/

Read this article that I posted previously about the 10 Things Scott Pioli learned from being a General Manager.

Very interesting article.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:58 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

That whole press conference when Sparano was given that extension was a farce. Ireland & Sparaono did not even look at each other but of course the Dolphin faithful defended it.
While Sparano was not the greatest coach after year 1 , from that press conference & after he was treated like crap. The way he was let go after his weekly press conference was not so classy as well. Still all that is in the past & just like I dont live on the 72 guys , I dont live on that either , it is history.
It seems all this is an attempt to soften the blow that all these guys will be back.
Fine with me as my signature states .... the best regime.
I hope everyone else can live with it. I looked at the schedule for next season , im on the 11-5 bus.
I mean , Brady will be another year older , the Jets & Bills have no QB , with a season under their belt together Tannehill & Wallace should be a top 3 combination. We have recent wins over alot of the current playoff teams. I like the direction. (Unless we blow it up & choose another one on which I will like that also)
Seems the saying a fish rots from the head first is appropriate.
While allegiance might buy you time , apparently it does not buy you wins.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:16 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

the Jets & Bills have no QB

Imagine if they had QBs!! We went 1-3 vs them with no QBs.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:23 pm

I dont know Anthony , I will always be a fan but I just think all this talk is just softening the blow that we come back pretty much the same next season. Seems to me just getting rid of Sherman might be masking the problem. No truer words are that its now how you begin a season but how you end one.
Those games yesterday were awesome & the level that the teams notched it up to was amazing. I wonder if we will ever get to see that from this team with the type of staff it chooses. Its kinda like the QB who is great between the 20's but cant finish a drive. Most criticize Philbin for his lack of emotion but when it looks like he is safe , most praise him for it.
Ireland certainly has some kind of hold with Ross. I hate to think all that will come from this is that Ross leaves the practice facility to go home on his helicopter.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Even more reason why I can't understand the the delay in blowing things up. I think Ross should have pushed the plunger on black monday.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I know it's an unpopular position to take, However I think when we started the skid after our 3-0 start I would have liked to see TanMooore (modern version of WoodStrock) though I would have only brought Moore in if Tannehill committed 3 turnovers in a game(not including turnover on downs or fumbles that are recovered by him or the Offense).

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:33 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Yeah....I stopped reading at 'Dan LeBartard'....Guy isn't a local media guy anymore because he sucks and spews nothing but negative trash about the Fins wherever he goes...But what do you expect from the leader of the 'high-five-gate' group....

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:34 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

rodneyfaile wrote:
Even more reason why I can't understand the the delay in blowing things up. I think Ross should have pushed the plunger on black monday.

maybe cause the last 3-4 blow ups worked so well?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/04/10-things-i-learned-about-being-a-general-manager/

Read this article that I posted previously about the 10 Things Scott Pioli learned from being a General Manager.

I read the article. But the KC fans comments under the article were even more interesting to read. To say they hated Pioli is an understatement.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:27 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

bobby0112 wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/04/10-things-i-learned-about-being-a-general-manager/

I read the article. But the KC fans comments under the article were even more interesting to read. To say they hated Pioli is an understatement.

It just goes to show the fanbase is irrational, just like our own.

Pioli laid the foundation for that team.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]