View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The trading of Davone Bess 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post The trading of Davone Bess
Did the Dolphins do well? Considering they had upgraded the slot position, perhaps keeping him would have helped the Dolphins after that key injury.

Quote:
Browns received Davone Bess, pick number 111 which was traded to Pittsburgh, who took Shamarko Thomas, and 217 which the Browns used to pick Armonty Bryant.

The Browns traded 104, which the Dolphins used to select Jalani Jenkins, and 164 which the Dolphins used on running back Mike Gillislee.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2014/ ... tting-him/?

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: The trading of Davone Bess
Bess had 42 catches 362 yards and 2 touchdowns in an entire season.

Gibson had 30 catches for 326 yards and 3 touchdowns in 7 games......of course he got hurt, but you have to believe had he stayed healthy, he would have helped us a lot more down the stretch.

Bess also seems to be having some personal issues that may end up costing him a roster spot.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Bess seemed to be a favorite here on the boards, myself included. But in truth he was just a mediocre slot receiver with little to no YAC for the Dolphins. Gibson was definitely an upgrade.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Not so much Bess being sent packing but the effect of all the players in total. When you take into account Fasano Bess Bush Long Dansby...Just felt it was a little too much influx.

Bess could have still been the #4 for the year, Bush could helped with protection Fasano was a better player than Agnew....Too much penny pinching went on.

I'm not saying or think we should have kept all these guys but a couple would have made the team better

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
Not so much Bess being sent packing but the effect of all the players in total. When you take into account Fasano Bess Bush Long Dansby...Just felt it was a little too much influx.

Bess could have still been the #4 for the year, Bush could helped with protection Fasano was a better player than Agnew....Too much penny pinching went on.

I'm not saying or think we should have kept all these guys but a couple would have made the team better

That's what I was saying. But some people still will fixate on the production of a guy like Bess, particularly with what he did on the Browns this year. That isn't the point. It's really irrelevant what he did over there. All that mattered is he would've provided depth here.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Bess was paid right at 2.7 million this yr. Not what you want to pay a No. 4 WR. People forget, sometimes its about the money, not just who is better.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:20 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It would be great to keep all our players, but salary cap and greed won't allow that.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Bess was paid right at 2.7 million this yr. Not what you want to pay a No. 4 WR. People forget, sometimes its about the money, not just who is better.

$2.7 million for a guy who under our offense put up nearly a thousand yards. I wouldn't exactly cry about it, especially when we're lobbing wads of cash at guys like Philip Wheeler to miss tackles all year long.

When you run an offense that was supposed to be a high octane passing attacking, you're going to pay a premium for the horses.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You had the cap space to keep a couple. That is not the issue..Money should not prevent this team from making it's depth and leadership better to a certain extent...You didn't need to keep all of them.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

$2.7 million for a guy who under our offense put up nearly a thousand yards. I wouldn't exactly cry about it, especially when we're lobbing wads of cash at guys like Philip Wheeler to miss tackles all year long.

When you run an offense that was supposed to be a high octane passing attacking, you're going to pay a premium for the horses.

And they went into the season with only 4 Wr's

Last edited by Kev1321 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

I did not say they should or should not have. I just stated the fact & the powers that be may have determined that was more than they wanted to pay & that Mathews could fill in cheaper at that No. 4 spot.

Personally I believe the right decision was made. Mathews was better.

Who expected Wheeler to be that bad?

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

At the end of the day is Bess really worth the conversation?

I also agree that Rishard Matthews is better anyway.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
I did not say they should or should not have. I just stated the fact & the powers that be may have determined that was more than they wanted to pay & that Mathews could fill in cheaper at that No. 4 spot.

Personally I believe the right decision was made. Mathews was better.

Who expected Wheeler to be that bad?

It's not a question of how bad anyone could've expected .... it's that he wasn't worth the contract to begin with and some of the $$$ would've been better spent keeping the WR position stacked.

At this stage I cannot sit there and agree with you that Matthews was better. He had one game. Bess has shown the consistency over the course of a career. Would it have hurt to carry 5 receivers, one of whom makes maybe 1.2 million more than the standard 4th or 5th considering where we were cap-wise?

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

It's not a question of how bad anyone could've expected .... it's that he wasn't worth the contract to begin with and some of the $$$ would've been better spent keeping the WR position stacked.
With signing of Hartline, Wallace & Gibson I'm sure they did not see a need to tie up good money and keep a slow footed Bess around & hopefully expected the development of Mathews. Mathews is bigger, faster & cheaper. I do not see keeping Bess was allowing Miami to be stacked at the position. Bess like Hartline was not a TD threat. Catching 4 over the last two yrs of his time in Miami.

Rock Sexton wrote:
At this stage I cannot sit there and agree with you that Matthews was better. He had one game. Bess has shown the consistency over the course of a career. Would it have hurt to carry 5 receivers, one of whom makes maybe 1.2 million more than the standard 4th or 5th considering where we were cap-wise?
Mathews was better this yr IMO. He put up 41 catches in a 4th Wr slot & doubled Bess's TD from last yr. Over his career? Will have to wait & see.

Would it have hurt? No, but Miami got Jenkins for him & if he develops into a quality starting LBer then would that not make it worth while to trade Bess for help at another position?

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:04 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Bess was way too expensive and we replaced him for a better, cheaper alternative. This is life in the NFL for better or worse.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]