View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 PFF - QBs benefitting from the screen pass 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post PFF - QBs benefitting from the screen pass
Quote:
Screen Game
Steve Palazzolo | January 4, 2014

Screen-GameOne of the things that stood out during the regular season was the overall poor play at the quarterback position. Now before readers bombard with all of the record-breaking numbers from 2013, remember, we’re talking on a play-to-play, throw-for-throw basis. Passing numbers may be at an all-time high, but the individual play was a bit disappointing.

Among the major factors for the disconnect between shoddy quarterback play and other-worldly passing numbers is simply the rule changes that have encouraged teams to neglect the running game in order to pass. So while passing yardage continues to add up, so do passing attempts. In exchange for the running game, we’re seeing more wide receiver screens than ever before and they seem to be getting more creative every season.

Some quarterbacks have certainly benefitted from the screen game more than others, and when we say “benefitted,” it’s only in the form of raw numbers (yards), rather than our actual PFF grades. Once the ball is released from a quarterback’s hand, he has little to do with the result of the play, particularly on screen plays which are generally one-read throws with the result of the play completely in the hands of the receiver, his blockers, and the defense. So those 80-yard screens that look great on the stat sheet will generally garner the same 0-grade for the QB as a 4-yard loss on the exact same play, yet again one of the many reasons why raw stats can often mislead.

Without further ado, here are the quarterbacks who have benefited the most from the screen game:

THE REST OF THE ARTICLE

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:50 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: PFF - QBs benefitting from the screen pass
If Miami had the personnel and the smarts to execute proper screen passes they'd be higher on the list. They were very telegraphed except on a few occassions to the back.

I think Mathews and Wallace each had one successful screen pass for a TD.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:38 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
If Miami had the personnel and the smarts to execute proper screen passes they'd be higher on the list. They were very telegraphed except on a few occassions to the back.

It's not just the personnel... its actually trying them.

We hardly tried them. And if we're going to use the personnel excuse... what exactly did we have personnel for?

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

We hardly tried them. And if we're going to use the personnel excuse... what exactly did we have personnel for?

Going from memory I can probably recall about 5 or 6 successful screen passes and twice that many that were swallowed up immediately. Each time it seemed like the WR and TE who were supposed to go out and block completely botched it.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

can't believe NE isn't at the top of the list. Seems Brady constantly throws that darn screen, and they execute it perfectly every time. Eh, maybe its just because I pay more attention to them than other teams

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Miami's o-line was to slow to block on the WR screens to Wallace. And Sherman didn't call center screens with RB's very often.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

We seem like the perfect team to be running screens too.They fit our personnel.
It all goes back to coaching.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

marc23 wrote:
can't believe NE isn't at the top of the list. Seems Brady constantly throws that darn screen, and they execute it perfectly every time. Eh, maybe its just because I pay more attention to them than other teams

I know, you hardly ever see him push the ball upfield anymore. Welker was his guy.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
Miami's o-line was to slow to block on the WR screens to Wallace. And Sherman didn't call center screens with RB's very often.

exactly. New England runs the perfect screen blocking system.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I thought we should have been running tons of screen passes that moment Reggie Bush put on a Dolphins uniform. We never used it to put our playmakers in space and give them a chance to run. I dont see Lamar Miller as a big screen play catching RB but I know it can be used to loosen up defenses and catch teams teeing off on our QB.

I hope we run more in the future. Its desperately missing from our arsenal.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]