View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sherman Fired 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Sherman Fired
My top guys: 1) Kubiak, 2) Kyle Shanahan, 3) Chud

But without much relevant info on any assistants around the league, it's very hard to sit here and say "X is a great hire, Y is not."

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:33 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

wkloiber13 wrote:
I like the idea of getting Gary Kubiak. He's a former Texas A&M quarterback and offensive line coach who has worked with Sherman in the past. Perhaps Sherman would recommend him to Philbin? In addition, we all know that (with the exception of this season) the Texans have had a very good offense with a stout ground game the last several years.

I was hoping we would be able to retain Sherman if we made a switch at OC. Perhaps shift him to assistant head coach (we don't have one) and let him manage the offensive line (something he has a ton of experience doing).

I hate to see us breaking up the staff so quickly. But what's done is done. Hopefully we make the right moves and the team improves from it.

I like where your head's at.

I wouldn't hate bringing in Phillips as the DC too haha Little Houston, i mean Havana

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

iajersey wrote:
Biggest reason for a frontline OC to take the job is if Philbin gets canned midseason, he'd be a prime candidate to be interim HC, and show what he can do to turn our boys around.

Yup. That's how I see it too.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:
Kubiak would be my favorite but I think he may end up as a HC again someplace.

It won't be this year. It would be a nice addition to his resume if he went to Miami as OC and was the guy who got the offense going. Even better if he was the guy who got the QB to take a big step. He could then say he's developed 2 QBs (he did get the best out of Schaub) and that would be attractive for the 2015 season.

Kubiak and Sherman go way back to their A&M days. I'd be willing to bet their systems aren't too far apart. Maybe Kubiak's system puts more emphasis on the run game. I think if we're going to change things up on Tannehill, we should do it in a way that isn't too drastic. Kubiak to me is a logical choice because he's a former Texas A&M quarterback (just like Tannehill) who has experience coaching runningbacks and quarterbacks (two positions we're very young at and need development). I like the idea of getting him, but only if his health is ok. I remember reading about him collapsing at halftime during a game. That is scary stuff. Maybe the man will choose to take a season off and get his health back. If that's the case, I'm sure we'll look at somebody like McAdoo. He's the guy everyone is pointing to right now.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I like the idea of getting Gary Kubiak. He's a former Texas A&M quarterback and offensive line coach who has worked with Sherman in the past. Perhaps Sherman would recommend him to Philbin? In addition, we all know that (with the exception of this season) the Texans have had a very good offense with a stout ground game the last several years.

I was hoping we would be able to retain Sherman if we made a switch at OC. Perhaps shift him to assistant head coach (we don't have one) and let him manage the offensive line (something he has a ton of experience doing).

I hate to see us breaking up the staff so quickly. But what's done is done. Hopefully we make the right moves and the team improves from it.

I wouldn't hate bringing in Phillips as the DC too haha Little Houston, i mean Havana

I think Coyle has done a decent job. You've got to remember, we yanked our bigger run stopping linebackers and swapped them out for younger faster guys that can cover down. When you change up your linebacking corps like that you're bound to have some setbacks with the run defense. In addition, Soliai was dealing with knee issues for a lot of the season. When that man isn't healthy the run defense suffers as well.

In addition, if the offense takes a step forward and is able to produce more sustained drives next season, that too will greatly help the defense.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:00 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The one thing I liked about Wannstedt and Saban was that they liked to go out and get established coordinators. Of course, as ex-Dolphins OC Gary Stephens once said, ""You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s---."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-1 ... dolphins/2

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I don't think Philbin is going to bring in a coach that doesn't run a west coast system.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:48 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

You would have to think Turner and Taylor would be right behind him.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:49 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Norv can have his old joh back lol. He is my #2 behind Kubiak.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:28 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Didn't Miami win its last playoff game with Norv as HC?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Didn't Miami win its last playoff game with Norv as HC?

Norv has never been our HC.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:32 am

then he was our OC under Wannstedt in 2001 when Miami beat the Colts...correct?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Maybe Schnellenberger would agree to come back. If we want successful re treads no better than him.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Steve Zissou wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Wish we could somehow work our way into the top draft and make a trade and draft Johhny Manziel.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2