View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 'Mando: Joe Philbin is "definitely safe" as Dolphins HC 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post 'Mando: Joe Philbin is "definitely safe" as Dolphins HC
Armando Salguero wrote:
I am also reporting that coach Joe Philbin is "definitely safe," according to a club source and will return for his third season with the Dolphins.

Interesingly, Philbin did not wish to fire his "mentor." The coach had previously defended Sherman as an "excellent" football coach. But owner Stephen Ross wanted Sherman out after the Dolphins scored only one touchdown in the season's final two games when the playoffs were on the line.

Ross, however, could not actually fire Sherman as he had signed over hiring and firing power to Philbin in his contract. But obviously, rather than defy his boss, Philbin did as the owner wished.

In fulfilling his owner's desire to "relieve Sherman" of his duties, Philbin accomplished something very important: He solidified his own job status

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Quote:
Owner Stephen Ross forced Philbin to fire OC Mike Sherman on Monday, but Philbin will return for his third season on the job. Per the Herald's Armando Salguero, GM Jeff Ireland's job security "has yet to be cemented by the team." Philbin's records through two years are 7-9 and 8-8. There is some feeling the Dolphins will pursue Packers QBs coach Ben McAdoo to replace Sherman.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8351/joe-philbin

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: 'Mando: Joe Philbin is "definitely safe" as Dolphins HC
Big Dave wrote:
Per the Herald's Armando Salguero, GM Jeff Ireland's job security "has yet to be cemented by the team."

For the love of god can we get rid of this guy already??? He has become parasitic. Ugh.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Armando Salguero wrote:

Interesingly, Philbin did not wish to fire his "mentor." The coach had previously defended Sherman as an "excellent" football coach. But owner Stephen Ross wanted Sherman out after the Dolphins scored only one touchdown in the season's final two games when the playoffs were on the line.

Ross, however, could not actually fire Sherman as he had signed over hiring and firing power to Philbin in his contract. But obviously, rather than defy his boss, Philbin did as the owner wished.

In fulfilling his owner's desire to "relieve Sherman" of his duties, Philbin accomplished something very important: He solidified his own job status

Unlike Munchak. Philben abandoned his very good friend & saved his own pathetic backside..

I dislike him even more now.

Quote:
Owner Stephen Ross forced Philbin to fire OC Mike Sherman on Monday, but Philbin will return for his third season on the job. Per the Herald's Armando Salguero, GM Jeff Ireland's job security "has yet to be cemented by the team." Philbin's records through two years are 7-9 and 8-8. There is some feeling the Dolphins will pursue Packers QBs coach Ben McAdoo to replace Sherman.

Again I ask. What self respecting GM will accept the job & be told? This is your coach.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
Unlike Munchak. Philben abandoned his very good friend & saved his own pathetic backside..

Dphins4me wrote:
Again I ask. What self respecting GM will accept the job & be told? This is your coach.

How can Ross think he is making things better?

Sounds like Ross is the biggest problem.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

I guess we will see how it works out for Tampa. Seeing that they have a coach already and no gm.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

"I have a lot of confidence in our staff, our offensive staff with Mike Sherman. He's an excellent football coach, and that’s what I think." - Philbin

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phinsforever wrote:

I guess we will see how it works out for Tampa. Seeing that they have a coach already and no gm.

Yeap & that is why the leading candidate has never been more than a scout & has worked with Lovie with the Bears. That is what you are left with. Promoting someone from way down the ladder. Plus it speaks to who will have final say for the Bucs.

They will have what Miami had with Wanny & Speilman.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sad, but I'm starting to hope Ted Wells comes back with a blistering report. I don't want to wait another year for an inevitable new staff.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:

Fair point cause I'm a big advocate of taking caring of your crew but I don't see it that way in this case. The team is Philbin's family now. & he has a responsibility to do whats best for them. Whether or not its all on Sherman, his old friend, Philbin has an opportunity to make a change for the better, after witnessing multiple mistakes.

Its the right thing to do because he's given the chance

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:54 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

rodneyfaile wrote:
Sad, but I'm starting to hope Ted Wells comes back with a blistering report. I don't want to wait another year for an inevitable new staff.

Sheesh. You might need to switch to a new brand of mellow juice, Sergeant Sour.

Try some Bulleit Rye Whiskey. Sure takes the edge off for this guy

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:59 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Big Dave wrote:

Dang, I didn't write that. Where the heck did that come from?

I do think the stakes were higher with Munchak. He was a lifelong Browns player/coach and refused to fire any of his staff even if it cost him his job. I would like to know more of went on behind the scenes with Philben/Ross and Philben/Sherman. Was there an agreement between Philben and Sherman that he should fire Sherman to make Philben look more in control of the team? I don't think we know the whole story on this one yet.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

The one problem about the pressure cooker of coaching in the NFL is that most coaches dont get the one thing they need is time. Philbin should have the chance to continue trying to get us back to respectability and firing a few coordinators along the way is part of the HC job. It doesnt always take a full house cleaning to change a team around.

I also dont think every GM should get to pick their coach. How many times have we seen a GM fire the coach he hand picked and then another coach or even 2? Ireland had his chance and needs to go! Philbin is still on the clock.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]