View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 ESPN: Sherman firing is warning shot to Philbin 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post ESPN: Sherman firing is warning shot to Philbin
James Walker | ESPN.com wrote:
Sherman firing is warning shot to Philbin

MIAMI -- It's never a good sign when a coach has to fire key members of his staff. That is the situation Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin is facing after firing embattled offensive coordinator Mike Sherman on Monday.

This much is clear: This was a move Philbin did not want to make. Sherman is a very good friend and mentor of Philbin's. Just last week, Philbin went to bat for Sherman during his season-ending news conference.

"I have a lot of confidence in our staff, our offensive staff with Mike Sherman," Philbin said. "He's an excellent football coach, and that’s what I think."

But the NFL is a production business and Sherman did not produce. Miami's offense in 2013 was ranked 27th in the NFL and 26th in scoring at 19.8 points per game. Sherman often was too predictable and not balanced. The Dolphins abandoned the run quickly, and scoring seven total points in the final two games didn't help his case.

There was no way Philbin could defend Sherman to Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, who visited the facility last week and demanded answers. Someone had to take the fall for Miami's fifth straight non-winning season. Sherman was that person, although it probably was very tough for Philbin to carry out the owner's demands.

This also is a strong warning shot that 2014 could be a make-or-break year for Philbin. He is 15-17 in two seasons in Miami with zero playoff appearances. He's also an offensive coach with a bad offense. This must be fixed if Philbin is to last beyond next season.

The search for a new offensive coordinator officially is underway in Miami. This will be one of the most important decisions Philbin makes for his long-term security.

There are no more excuses offensively with Sherman out of the picture. Miami must score more points in 2014 and further develop quarterback Ryan Tannehill. If Philbin and Miami's next offensive coordinator cannot get those two things done, Philbin's job will be in jeopardy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... oe-philbin

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:16 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: ESPN: Sherman firing is warning shot to Philbin

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

This was the safe , obvious move. Nothing more or less. Really dont expect much to change but if they have a chance to hire a guy like Kubiak or Chud & go McAdoo seems to me the towel has just been thrown in. Not that it hasnt been already.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:10 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

FINesse wrote:
This was the safe , obvious move. Nothing more or less. Really dont expect much to change but if they have a chance to hire a guy like Kubiak or Chud & go McAdoo seems to me the towel has just been thrown in. Not that it hasnt been already.

I am not sure either of those guys would come here, but who knows. Maybe one of them will want a real challenge.. I would guess another OC opportunity will be more appealing tho, a more secure team that lost one to a HC gig or something... I doubt we will get any info for a few weeks..

On the flip side Philbin would be bringing in a guy that would make a mid season firing very easy, either one could take over as interim HC.. So he may be thinking much smaller, McAdoo is not even qualified for the OC job IMO, so he may be perfect for Philbin....

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm on the bandwagon of no experienced guy with better opportunities is going to select the Miami OC job. The only chance is for a young guy to come in and help Tannehill take that next step.

Guys like Kubiak and Chudzinksi would probably prefer to interview for the HC job in Miami in 2015.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It will have to be an out of work OC. Who will leave their job for a possible one yr employment

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:43 am

So it seems next season there are no expectations of winning , just hope to get a high draft pick & the sexiest name as head coach. Seems we have been there & done that. Oh well , its what being a Dolphin fan has become.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:52 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

espn is acting like this is some sort of bad or scary occurence. I think its fantastic because Philbin needs to feel some sort of pressure to perform. How many games did the Dolphins come out flat? & especially in second halfs.

This team needs some urgency and more of a fight. Attitude reflects leadership, & Philbin has been given notice.

I don't have a personal preference of who our OC, or the cheme. As long as hes smart enough to realize how to do the things that work & win

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:58 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:
So it seems next season there are no expectations of winning , just hope to get a high draft pick & the sexiest name as head coach. Seems we have been there & done that. Oh well , its what being a Dolphin fan has become.

I think giving Philbin one more chance to prove himself is a better scenario then hoping a new coach can suddenly fix it all. If he wants to keep his job, he'll find the way to win, & that includes getting an OC that can make it work.

If Philbin doesn't make some magic this year then we'll just go to your scenario

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think this effectively puts the playcalling duties in Philbin's lap. No experienced OC is going to want to come here in a situation where the regime is heading into a season which is arguably make or break.

You also have continuity problems in setting back the offensive players ..... and we already know there's going to be heavy influx of new players like last year.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Steve Zissou wrote:
FINesse wrote:

I think giving Philbin one more chance to prove himself is a better scenario then hoping a new coach can suddenly fix it all. If he wants to keep his job, he'll find the way to win, & that includes getting an OC that can make it work.

If Philbin doesn't make some magic this year then we'll just go to your scenario

I don't expect a new coach or GM to come in and immediately fix it all. I would however like someone to come in and show they at least have the ability to eventually fix it all. What has Ireland done in 6 years to demonstrate that he can build a winning franchise? Has Philbin done anything?

How much blame goes to Ross for castrating Ireland in regards to the coaching staff? (Would make a great poll.)

I think all we can look forward to in the next few years are perhaps individual great games. I don't see a great season on the horizon.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
I think this effectively puts the playcalling duties in Philbin's lap. No experienced OC is going to want to come here in a situation where the regime is heading into a season which is arguably make or break.

You also have continuity problems in setting back the offensive players ..... and we already know there's going to be heavy influx of new players like last year.

Philbin has spent a decade watching both Sherman (in GB) and McCarthy successfully call plays and lead winning teams. If he can't do it or guide a young OC to do it then...

And yes, why would anyone who has another chance to be a part of a long term situation opt for Miami? There will be more OC openings once some of these guys (Gruden, Whisenhunt, etc) get jobs, so again better situations.

Best bet is to roll the dice on a position coach or an out of work guy who just needs another shot.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:26 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dphins4me wrote:
It will have to be an out of work OC. Who will leave their job for a possible one yr employment

Brad Childress maybe?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]