View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Ireland Fired! 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Ireland Fired!
Yay!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:05 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Ireland Fired!
@MiamiDolphins: NEWS: The Miami Dolphins and General Manager Jeff Ireland have mutually agreed to part ways.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:06 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

OOOHHHH!

We thought he made it through the gauntlet. Don't let the door knob hit ya, Fireland

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:13 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

What are the odds that Philbin was pushing this and that he already has a person in mind? That's the only way I see this as good without Philbin being pushed out with him.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

DevilInPgh wrote:
What are the odds that Philbin was pushing this and that he already has a person in mind? That's the only way I see this as good without Philbin being pushed out with him.

How does a coach go 7-9 & 8-8 and is forced to fire his personal pick of OC after only 2 yrs & then end up with all the power within the org?

See that dark cloud over Miami again.

Stupid owners make for bad teams.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:24 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dphins4me wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:

How does a coach go 7-9 & 8-8 and is forced to fire his personal pick of OC after only 2 yrs & then end up with all the power within the org?

See that dark cloud over Miami again.

Stupid owners make for bad teams.

He ends up with that power when the owner realizes he's going to lose a ton of season-ticket holders standing pat with Matt Millen 2.0.

And I though it couldn't get worse than Pockface Wayne. Oh how I was wrong.

Last edited by DevilInPgh on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I appreciate any of the good that Jeff Ireland did for the Dolphins and look forward to hopefully finding someone that will help set the bar even higher now for the fins.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Philbin shouldnt be jettisoned just yet. The 2 main issues are gone.....im ok with ONE.....one....more year for philbin to get it going.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:31 pm
Profile YIM
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ross forcing Philbin to fire Sherman was no surprise. Sherman did a terrible job this year.

I think Rich said earlier that Ted Wells would most likely not release any of his investigation until after the Superbowl, because the NFL wouldn't want any bad press around the festivities.
Is there a chance Ted Wells may have at least told Ross in private that his findings are not very flattering to Ireland? That seems like the sort of thing that would happen between professionals behind closed doors. Kind of a heads up that you may want to consider looking around the GM market.

Just a totally contrived hypothesis of my own with no corroborating facts at all. It was fun though.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Wow! Didn't see that coming.

Now who takes his place. And please don't say Gaines or Aponte!!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:42 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Miracle! Now, please tell me Coyle is next. If he is. I may watch next season with some expectations.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphinjim wrote:

I do not see a GM outside stepping in & being told. This is your coach. Draft players for him.

Philbin will have final say.

IMO Miami just took a three steps back. Hope I'm wrong.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

DevilInPgh wrote:
He ends up with that power when the owner realizes he's going to lose a ton of season-ticket holders standing pat with Matt Millen 2.0.

And I though it couldn't get worse than Pockface Wayne. Oh how I was wrong.

Ireland was not what is wrong with Miami. Its an owner who has a GM & then does the GM's job for him. Miami would have McCoy as a coach if it was up to Ireland.

He is going to lose ticket holders anyway. Philbin with more power does not excite anyone other than the Philbin family.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Dphins4me wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

I do not see a GM outside stepping in & being told. This is your coach. Draft players for him.

Philbin will have final say.

IMO Miami just took a three steps back. Hope I'm wrong.

I would think this was Philbins request. If you're going to fire me for a bad year next year....let me make the decisions on everything.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The sad part is that Ross will neuter the new GM by forcing Philbin and whatever other coaching decisions he wants.

Not sure I am happy with this owner at the moment. I need somebody here cheer to me up.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:53 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Ireland was not what is wrong with Miami.
He's been here since the Parcell's Days and has only produced one winning team. He has helped hand pick the headcoach in several instances and has jetisoned valuable talent on some stupid value scale.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:55 pm

rodneyfaile wrote:
The sad part is that Ross will neuter the new GM by forcing Philbin and whatever other coaching decisions he wants.

Not sure I am happy with this owner at the moment. I need somebody here cheer to me up.

So you pick a young, up and coming guy (gal..hint) that will dive into the role and work with Philbin

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
He's been here since the Parcell's Days and has only produced one winning team. He has helped hand pick the headcoach in several instances and has jetisoned valuable talent on some stupid value scale.

Hate to defend Ireland on this one, but from what I've read, coaches were forced on him, and some of the players he jettisoned were on the advice of those coaches because they didn't fit their system.

I think the best coaches are flexible and tailor their plans to fit the strengths of what they have.

I can only hope some great GM will appear and somehow make ROss understand that he needs to stop meddling.

A guy can dream can't he?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If it's Aponte I'm switching teams...

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

*FLASH*

According to the report on NFL.com they agreed to mutually part ways because he was going to be stripped of power. Meaning someone on the staff was already in place to take it. So it's either Aponte or Philbin. FML... Both suck in my eyes. Neither have ANY talent evaluation experience as far as recruiting ect.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dan't assume Philbin's safe. Big Dave brought up the possibility of Scott Pioli the other day. If we get a big hitter like him, then Philbin is likely out.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:16 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

It is no coincidence that all of the leadership council was jettisoned with JOE PHILBIN on the team... or Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis.

Those were not Ireland moves. They were Philbin moves.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dan't assume Philbin's safe. Big Dave brought up the possibility of Scott Pioli the other day. If we get a big hitter like him, then Philbin is likely out.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:21 pm

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

It is no coincidence that all of the leadership council was jettisoned with JOE PHILBIN on the team... or Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis.

Those were not Ireland moves. They were Philbin moves.

Okay, so if you're going to keep Philbin, make him fully responsible. There will be no guessing next year on who to blame. Personally, Ireland has always been a mixed bag. If you're going to blame Philbin for V. Davis, I suggest you go watch that episode of hardknocks again. BTW, didn't we get Olivier Vernon and Egnew for Davis? Pretty sure I'd make that move again. Who made the call to get rid of.
Dansby
Burnett
Long
Smith
Bush
.... we can only speculate.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
*FLASH*

According to the report on NFL.com they agreed to mutually part ways because he was going to be stripped of power. Meaning someone on the staff was already in place to take it. So it's either Aponte or Philbin. FML... Both suck in my eyes. Neither have ANY talent evaluation experience as far as recruiting ect.

Not necessarily. It seems as if Ross was going to hire a guy to fill the role that Parcells filled. A football guy that both Philbin and Ireland would report to (rather than reporting directly to Ross). That could have been anyone.

It seems to me that Ireland didn't like the prospect of losing full control of the team, and quit while he was ahead.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:27 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Hate to defend Ireland on this one, but from what I've read, coaches were forced on him, and some of the players he jettisoned were on the advice of those coaches because they didn't fit their system.

I think the best coaches are flexible and tailor their plans to fit the strengths of what they have.

I can only hope some great GM will appear and somehow make ROss understand that he needs to stop meddling.

Okay, point to an article where coaches were forced on Ireland. Ireland's my-way or the highway approach to business is probably why Harbaugh is in SF and Peyton in Denver. He apparently lacks social skills because no GM on the planet would disrespect a WR's mother while talking with him. Someone point to me what Ireland has done since he's been in Miami. 2008? The only thing I can think of is he seems to land a good FA or two for "good value". Outside of that, this team is and has been average under his tenure.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:28 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Okay, so if you're going to keep Philbin, make him fully responsible.

First, the guy can't coach and now with no personnel experience we should give him control of personnel? You're nuts.

Quote:
If you're going to blame Philbin for V. Davis, I suggest you go watch that episode of hardknocks again.

Uh... you mean the one where Philbin kept getting on Davis's case and then all of a sudden Ireland traded him? Ever play connect the dots?

Quote:
Who made the call to get rid of.
Dansby
Burnett
Long
Smith
Bush

You just named most of the leadership council... the guys that didn't agree with what Philbin was doing and he was trying to shut up...

That is not a coincidence.

Don't forget Brandon Marshall... Ireland trades for him and then gets rid of him when Philbin comes on board...

Why do you think that is?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:

Okay, so if you're going to keep Philbin, make him fully responsible. There will be no guessing next year on who to blame. Personally, Ireland has always been a mixed bag. If you're going to blame Philbin for V. Davis, I suggest you go watch that episode of hardknocks again. BTW, didn't we get Olivier Vernon and Egnew for Davis? Pretty sure I'd make that move again. Who made the call to get rid of.
Dansby
Burnett
Long
Smith
Bush

Nonsense. Ireland has had full control of the team since Parcells left. He made the final call on all decisions except assistant coaches. Every single one of those personnel decisions are on Ireland. That said, I'm not sad at all about losing Long (whose career is almost surely over now) or Smith (who was never much while he was here). Dansby was good here, but not great. Ditto Burnett. Bush is the only guy I'm truly upset at losing.

Ireland has done a mediocre job at bringing in good talent.

I'm not sure that any of this means that Philbin will be given any more power than he currently has. The jump to that conclusion is premature.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

2 down the rest to go.
Would not be against Aponte as GM, she wil be hungry and we have none of that on our team now.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Quote:
:grin:

Rich - When I coached young kids, I got on the case of the ones I knew I could get more out of....not because I wanted them to leave.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Sailor wrote:
Would not be against Aponte as GM, she wil be hungry and we have none of that on our team now.

And has absolutely zero personnel evaluation experience.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:42 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
:grin:

Rich - When I coached young kids, I got on the case of the ones I knew I could get more out of....not because I wanted them to leave.

Good for you!

Philbin would rather avoid having to get on anyone's case. He wants robots on his team.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:43 pm

eleaf wrote:

He's certainly had his misses. But more hits than anyone else recently that acquired talent for the Dolphins.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

Okay, point to an article where coaches were forced on Ireland. Ireland's my-way or the highway approach to business is probably why Harbaugh is in SF and Peyton in Denver. He apparently lacks social skills because no GM on the planet would disrespect a WR's mother while talking with him. Someone point to me what Ireland has done since he's been in Miami. 2008? The only thing I can think of is he seems to land a good FA or two for "good value". Outside of that, this team is and has been average under his tenure.

If you believe the Le Batard article then Ross gave Ireland an ultimatum in the Harbaugh/Sparano fiasco. He's also not responsible for the Philbin hire if it is true that he wanted McCoy and Ross picked Philbin.

Its hard to know all of the truth. Rumor is Ireland wanted Matt Ryan but was overruled. Imagine how that would have changed things.

Personally, I'm happy just because I think a purge was needed

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Quote:
If you believe the Le Batard article then Ross gave Ireland an ultimatum in the Harbaugh/Sparano fiasco. He's also not responsible for the Philbin hire if it is true that he wanted McCoy and Ross picked Philbin.

Its hard to know all of the truth. Rumor is Ireland wanted Matt Ryan but was overruled. Imagine how that would have changed things.

Personally, I'm happy just because I think a purge was needed

If you're saying Ross is the problem...were fooked.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Okay, point to an article where coaches were forced on Ireland.

http://www.dolphinstalk.com/2012/01/schefter-ross-wants-philbin-ireland.html

Adam Schefter of ESPN is reporting that word around the league is that Stephen Ross wants to hire Joe Philbin while Jeff Ireland wants to hire Mike McCoy.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:

He's certainly had his misses. But more hits than anyone else recently that acquired talent for the Dolphins.

We should've resigned Grimes before making this move

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

Exactly. Its past time to severe the last tie to Parcells. 6 years of mediocrity is enough. My bet is Aponte will be the replacement GM.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Let's hear that collective explosion of joy and happiness when the reigns of the franchise are handed to Carl Peterson.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next