View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Ireland Fired! 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Ireland Fired!
bobby0112 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
Ireland was not what is wrong with Miami.
He's been here since the Parcell's Days and has only produced one winning team. He has helped hand pick the headcoach in several instances and has jetisoned valuable talent on some stupid value scale.

Exactly. Its past time to severe the last tie to Parcells. 6 years of mediocrity is enough. My bet is Aponte will be the replacement GM.

What experience does she have in evaluating talent?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:57 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

How long has Ireland been with the team? Poor kid...had all those coaches forced on him. Maybe Ross looked at Ireland's track record?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:03 pm

Aponte will be a figurehead. My guess is Ross and Philbin will make all the calls. What is botherimg me is maybe Ross wasn't a hands-off type of guy. If we've got a closet Jerry Jones here this team is fooked.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:04 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
How long has Ireland been with the team? Poor kid...had all those coaches forced on him. Maybe Ross looked at Ireland's track record?

Go/Go-Go trumps everything else that happened this season.

That is not a personnel evaluation issue. It is a coaching issue.

The talent was there to make the playoffs. The coaching was not.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:04 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Aponte will be a figurehead. My guess is Ross and Philbin will make all the calls. What is botherimg me is maybe Ross wasn't a hands-off type of guy. If we've got a closet Jerry Jones here this team is fooked.

Ross and Philbin will be evaluating personnel?

Yes, that would be the end of the Dolphins.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
I do not see a GM outside stepping in & being told. This is your coach. Draft players for him.

Philbin will have final say.

IMO Miami just took a three steps back. Hope I'm wrong.

Ya, I'm not understanding the sequence of events to be honest. As poor as Sherman was at times he was also hamstrung by the guy shoppin' for groceries. If Philbin gets final say and potentially takes over playcalling duties, it's gonna get cray cray around here.

I don't know what it is they're looking to achieve in Year 3 with the way things are right now and the leftover parts of a regime. Haven't we had this history lesson about not completely changing things over?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:07 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
I do not see a GM outside stepping in & being told. This is your coach. Draft players for him.

Philbin will have final say.

IMO Miami just took a three steps back. Hope I'm wrong.

Ya, I'm not understanding the sequence of events to be honest. As poor as Sherman was at times he was also hamstrung by the guy shoppin' for groceries. If Philbin gets final say and potentially takes over playcalling duties, it's gonna get cray cray around here.

I don't know what it is they're looking to achieve in Year 3 with the way things are right now and the leftover parts of a regime. Haven't we had this history lesson about not completely changing things over?

Hopefully it is not over yet...

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:09 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I would have liked Philben gone before Ireland.....GOGO....

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Right Rich! Exactly what we DON'T need at this time. Let her stay with her strengths behind the scenes and helping with contract negotiations NOT evaluating talent.

No offense, but what possesses anyone to even give her the vote for the GM role & based on what experience evaluating draft picks, getting free agents??? I would love to see a link if someone has information that we do not know about.

It seems like the fans would want an "experienced" talent evaluator/GM???

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

Right Rich! Exactly what we DON'T need at this time. Let her stay with her strengths behind the scenes and helping with contract negotiations NOT evaluating talent.

No offense, but what possesses anyone to even give her the vote for the GM role & based on what experience evaluating draft picks, getting free agents??? I would love to see a link if someone has information that we do not know about.

It seems like the fans would want an "experienced" talent evaluator/GM???

Fans haven't a clue what they want.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

:grin:
Halleleujah! There is hope now that the team might finally figure out how to acquire and groom talent. No guarantees, but at least there is hope. I had no faith at all in Ireland. I have a feeling the housecleaning isn't finished....

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
There is hope now that the team might finally figure out how to acquire and groom talent.

How does getting rid of a guy that had nothing to do with grooming the talent lead to hope that they will figure out how to groom it?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:10 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

While I think the moves were necessary , this is what happens when you have an inept owner & the wrong coach. Seems to me there is some sort of power play going on here. My gut tells me this whole thing will take a few seasons to fix once someone with actual knowledge steps in. I do think Ross will throw big money at a highly recognizable name who has had success in the past hoping that lightning can strike twice. This will bring back hope as well as ticket sales which I still think is the driving force here. Hopefully Tannehill's progress doesnt get stunted going through all of this & we watch him find success with another team. I think we will need as much patience now as we have had to have since Marino and Shula were forced out. This is pretty much an admission of recent screw ups. It will be interesting to see how Ireland fares in the future if he lands with a more stable franchise. Also did Ross came out publicly a few weeks ago to say Ireland was safe?? Hopefully with all his short comings as an owner he doesn't become the Al Davis in his later years as an owner.
Interesting times ahead guys!!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:11 pm

FINesse wrote:
While I think the moves were necessary , this is what happens when you have an inept owner & the wrong coach. Seems to me there is some sort of power play going on here. My gut tells me this whole thing will take a few seasons to fix once someone with actual knowledge steps in. I do think Ross will throw big money at a highly recognizable name who has had success in the past hoping that lightning can strike twice. This will bring back hope as well as ticket sales which I still think is the driving force here. Hopefully Tannehill's progress doesnt get stunted going through all of this & we watch him find success with another team. I think we will need as much patience now as we have had to have since Marino and Shula were forced out. This is pretty much an admission of recent screw ups. It will be interesting to see how Ireland fares in the future if he lands with a more stable franchise. Also did Ross came out publicly a few weeks ago to say Ireland was safe?? Hopefully with all his short comings as an owner he doesn't become the Al Davis in his later years as an owner.
Interesting times ahead guys!!

I get the feeling Dawn Aponte has done a good job of "charming" Ross... the report is that Aponte was going to get more power and Ireland would be reporting to her and that Ireland scoffed at the idea.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
There is hope now that the team might finally figure out how to acquire and groom talent.

How does getting rid of a guy that had nothing to do with grooming the talent lead to hope that they will figure out how to groom it?

I don't think the house cleaning is over in Miami. Even if Philbin survives this year, he will be gone if the team sucks again next year.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
It is no coincidence that all of the leadership council was jettisoned with JOE PHILBIN on the team... or Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis.

Those were not Ireland moves. They were Philbin moves.

Speculation. Nothing else.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I get the feeling Dawn Aponte has done a good job of "charming" Ross... the report is that Aponte was going to get more power and Ireland would be reporting to her and that Ireland scoffed at the idea.

Yeah Rich, John Clayton's interview on ESPN regarding the Ireland firing mentioned Aponte getting promoted to a title like Team President and insinuated that she would be at the front picking the new GM.

Scott Pioli's name did come up.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:
It is no coincidence that all of the leadership council was jettisoned with JOE PHILBIN on the team... or Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis.

Well, that doesn't exactly help Ireland's case either. As GM, he was talked into getting rid of players he liked and thought were good? And had some trouble replacing them?

Then why did we need him?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
My bet is Aponte will be the replacement GM.

Can someone fill me in on this way of thinking...? Aponte has as much experience in talent evaluation as anyone on this board. Isn't that the primary role of being a GM? There is obviously a lot of numbers to factor in, but she is not a talent evaluator. So what part of her resume supports her argument in becoming a General Manager of a Professional Football team?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:

It has been reported by all of the Miami writers that Philbin did not want vocal dissent nor attitude problems in the locker room. It was even reported this year that various players said the atmosphere in the locker room was such that guys hesitated to speak up. Seems a bit more than speculation and coincidence.

I fully agree with the idea that there is a serious leadership void on this team. Time for guys like Wake, Tannehill and Pouncey to step up.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Seems like Ross is meeting with them one at a time, day by day. Last day it was Sherman the next it was Ireland. Hope to God Coyle is next. I also hope Philbin gets canned.

I want Shanahan. I'm not even gonna lie.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:04 pm

It seems like when you "step up" you are on your way to "stepping out".

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Let's get the Aponte for GM thought out as she will probably be appointed as the GM's boss NOT the actual GM. She has ZERO experience in this area.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:

Guess that means Philbin should change his name to Bud Kilmer.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:18 pm

jammer wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Guess that means Philbin should change his name to Bud Kilmer.

Actually Bud Kilmer at least had some tenacity.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:

And a statue.

I actually could see Philbin hitting a player over the head with his whistle and saying "stick to the basics, stick to the basics". The basics of course being GO and GO-GO.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:30 pm

jammer wrote:
FINesse wrote:

And a statue.

I actually could see Philbin hitting a player over the head with his whistle and saying "stick to the basics, stick to the basics". The basics of course being GO and GO-GO.

LOL , I could see Philbin walk into Ross' office in a whipped cream bikini to save hiss ass.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
I would have liked Philben gone before Ireland.....GOGO....

Absolutely. He's a total stiff with his head burried in the sand all the time.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Quote:
If you're going to blame Philbin for V. Davis, I suggest you go watch that episode of hardknocks again.

Uh... you mean the one where Philbin kept getting on Davis's case and then all of a sudden Ireland traded him? Ever play connect the dots?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about how incredibly dense V Davis appeared in Hard Knocks. I've seen boxes of rocks that had higher levels of intelligence than V Davis appeared. Besides, VD had been here for 3 or 4 years and hadn't done anything special at all. He had shown flashes, but nothing more through two separate coaching staffs. We traded a player who hadn't shown much for a 2nd round pick. I'd do that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Ditto Smith.

Quote:
Who made the call to get rid of.
Dansby
Burnett
Long
Smith
Bush
.... we can only speculate.

You just named most of the leadership council... the guys that didn't agree with what Philbin was doing and he was trying to shut up...

That is not a coincidence.

Don't forget Brandon Marshall... Ireland trades for him and then gets rid of him when Philbin comes on board...

Why do you think that is?[/quote]

It's also not a coincidence that those on this list were some of the highest paid guys on the team and were up for a contract. Do you give Long another contract when he hadn't shown he can stay healthy? St. Louis proved that the decision to let him go was the correct one as his career may well be over after his latest season ending injury. Dansby and Burnett played well here, but never great (through two coaching staffs). Do you give those guys a big contract? Both played well elsewhere but hadn't shown that they earned a big payday here. It's always tough to gauge a player who does well elsewhere as there are many different reasons why that might be. Scheme, supporting cast, etc. I might have kept one or the other, but I'm not sure that keeping both would have been a great idea. We wanted playmakers at LB, and neither had shown that they were playmakers.

Bush is the only guy on that list that it should have been a no-brainer to keep. That said, I'm not sure that he would have done very well this year with our terrible OL, and may well have been killed.

You seem to want to believe that Philbin is some tyrant who wouldn't abide any challenge to his authority. I doubt that's the case. None of those players are stars in their prime. Most were up for a contract or hadn't lived up to contracts they were already in.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

I fully agree with the idea that there is a serious leadership void on this team. Time for guys like Wake, Tannehill and Pouncey to step up.

You don't go through the "scandal" that the team went through this year playing well through it all with a leadership void. These players played hard for Philbin. There were certainly breakdowns at the very end, but none of those were leadership issues. They were specific coaching issues.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:20 am
Profile WWW

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:

If you watched Hard Knocks, you know it is not speculation. Philbin doesn't like having challenges on his team. He wants yes men.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:25 am

1984phins wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:

Well, that doesn't exactly help Ireland's case either. As GM, he was talked into getting rid of players he liked and thought were good? And had some trouble replacing them?

Then why did we need him?

The GM and coach (under the Miami Dolphins structure) are supposed to work together. If the coach says a player doesn't fit his system, the GM has to listen, otherwise they get off on the wrong foot. It really isn't that complicated or hard to fathom...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:26 am

eleaf wrote:
You seem to want to believe that Philbin is some tyrant who wouldn't abide any challenge to his authority.

Myself, many fans and a lot of guys in the media. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Quote:
None of those players are stars in their prime. Most were up for a contract or hadn't lived up to contracts they were already in.

Well, it's not like they are going to get rid of a guy that will cripple your cap with dead cap if you cut him...

:hithead:

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:29 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:

If you watched Hard Knocks, you know it is not speculation. Philbin doesn't like having challenges on his team. He wants yes men.

To be honest, this was the impression that I had as well. Trading Brandon Marshall would make Ireland look wrong in getting him in the first place. Pro Football Focus rated the "hard headed" Vontae Davis as the 3rd best CB in the NFL this year (behind Revis and Grimes). Perhaps trading him to the Colts was a wake up call to him, but we all knew he was talented.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:45 am
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
To be honest, this was the impression that I had as well. Trading Brandon Marshall would make Ireland look wrong in getting him in the first place. Pro Football Focus rated the "hard headed" Vontae Davis as the 3rd best CB in the NFL this year (behind Revis and Grimes). Perhaps trading him to the Colts was a wake up call to him, but we all knew he was talented.

As a contrast, look at the Miami Heat. They are willing to take on talented knuckleheads and rehab their careers. Pat Riley has been doing this for decades. A recent example is Michael Beasley, who has all the talent in the world but a bad habit of appearing on YouTube smoking pot and saying crazy things.

They brought him in, said this was his last chance, gave him an ultimatum and now he is a valuable contributor off the bench.

Philbin seems to have an aversion to taking on challenges.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:53 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Philbin seems to have an aversion to taking on challenges.

Very true. I'm all about not having cancers in the locker, but sometimes the coaches have to open their minds a little and listen to what the players are saying. They are on the field and have experience. Successful business embraces employees ideas. At least listen, don't just cut them or in a business sense, fire them.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:15 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

This piece by piece firing system is just making the team look even dumber than it already does.

Clean house you dirt bag and start over... stop with the niceties.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

eleaf wrote:
jammer wrote:

You don't go through the "scandal" that the team went through this year playing well through it all with a leadership void. These players played hard for Philbin. There were certainly breakdowns at the very end, but none of those were leadership issues. They were specific coaching issues.

Did they play hard for their coach or were they playing pissed off because everyone outside the organization was ridiculing them?

Did you witness anyone getting fired up or in another player's face to motivate them in those last two games? I watched both and saw nothing. Usually the camera will pan over to the drama if it is occurring on the sideline. Even if it is not their personality to get emotional as least huddle up the guys and give some words of encouragement.

The team seemed flat and acted like they expected to just walk into the playoffs against inferior opponents. When adversity smacked them in the face they did nothing...just like their coaches.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:57 am

jammer wrote:
eleaf wrote:
jammer wrote:

Did they play hard for their coach or were they playing pissed off because everyone outside the organization was ridiculing them?

Did you witness anyone getting fired up or in another player's face to motivate them in those last two games? I watched both and saw nothing. Usually the camera will pan over to the drama if it is occurring on the sideline. Even if it is not their personality to get emotional as least huddle up the guys and give some words of encouragement.

The team seemed flat and acted like they expected to just walk into the playoffs against inferior opponents. When adversity smacked them in the face they did nothing...just like their coaches.

Nail on the head.

These guys played for each other, not for their coach, after the scandal got to the media.

And then they showed no fire or urgency in the last two games.

And for anyone who watches Philbin speak, whether it is to the media or to the players in the locker room after the game, there is no fire or urgency, just flash cards and the same mumbo jumbo about believing in his coaches and players (only to turn around and blame the players for the collapse).

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

A lot of you guys and others on other boards wanted this.

I felt the entire staff and front office should have been fired, because its going to take 4-5 years to turn this around with the players we have.

I just wonder who or what we will blame next season.

Starting out 3-0 and have all the odds making the playoffs in our favor and only score 7 points in 2 games is disappointing.

I hate we're drafting so low, this season was a big wasted season.

I hope we get someone good in here.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next