View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 It’s fine to oust Ireland, but do the Phins have a plan? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post It’s fine to oust Ireland, but do the Phins have a plan?
Quote:
By Greg Stoda

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

The assumption is that the Dolphins have a plan. Is it naïve to think so?

Maybe they’re just trying to figure out things on the fly without regard to timing or sequence, because it sure looks as though that’s the case.

And that’s no way to run a business. ... The firing of Jeff Ireland – and that’s absolutely what it was – as general manager Tuesday was a surprise only in its timing. It would have made more sense to oust him before firing offensive coordinator Mike Sherman on Monday. ... If the Dolphins are going to undertake a comprehensive makeover, it should have started with Ireland cleaning out his office as soon as possible after the NFL season ended so ingloriously with back-to-back losses to Buffalo and the New York Jets.

Goodbye, AFC playoffs?

Goodbye, Ireland.

It would have given the team more than a week’s head start on naming Ireland’s replacement, which is no small window of opportunity. ...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... -th/ncfjM/

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:07 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: It’s fine to oust Ireland, but do the Phins have a plan?
After Ireland's departure I do not think Philbin should stay now. Let this new GM hire who he wants.
DO IT THE CORRECT WAY!!!!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:41 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
After Ireland's departure I do not think Philbin should stay now. Let this new GM hire who he wants.

They have to find a GM who wants Philbin as HC...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

No GM should have to accept him.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:51 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dolphins Plan: WING IT!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:54 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
10acjed wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

No GM should have to accept him.

Pete Carrol hired his GM... Seems to be working just fine out there...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:59 pm

10acjed wrote:

Yes, but Carroll picks the players.

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks[edit]In January 2010, the Seahawks made a splash with the hiring of Pete Carroll as its head coach. Schneider came on board one week later. It was a rare case in which the head coach had hiring control over the general manager. The Seahawks Front Office has been a collaboration from the beginning. Schneider has control over salary cap and contract issues and works closely with Carroll on personnel matters. Generally, Schneider will scout the players and report to Carroll who has final decision over roster moves. The relationship has been described as Schneider setting the menu and Carroll picking specific players off of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Schne ... _executive)

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So, Ross has confidence in Philbin.....except when it comes to his assistants?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Yes, but Carroll picks the players.

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks[edit]In January 2010, the Seahawks made a splash with the hiring of Pete Carroll as its head coach. Schneider came on board one week later. It was a rare case in which the head coach had hiring control over the general manager. The Seahawks Front Office has been a collaboration from the beginning. Schneider has control over salary cap and contract issues and works closely with Carroll on personnel matters. Generally, Schneider will scout the players and report to Carroll who has final decision over roster moves. The relationship has been described as Schneider setting the menu and Carroll picking specific players off of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Schne ... _executive)

I like the approach myself. GM handles finding what is available, coach selects the players he feels will fit the team best...

Not looking for a HC to do it all, but I sure like the "menu" approach over the brown bag of you get what they give and like it...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. The issue is a clear power structure. Ross forces Philbin to fire Sherman. Then fires Ireland. Who is in charge after all the dust settles?

How can it be Phibin when he was forced to fire his pick for OC?

The new GM who is having Philbin forced upon him?

The female dog of a VP who seems to be making cracks in the org to advance her agenda?

Just who?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I am not going to defend the Sherman thing.. If Philbin wanted him to stay, I wish he would have just packed and left..

Saying good things about your long time friend and mentor does not necessarily mean he was against firing him.. The timing could have simply been due to knowing his job was safe. He would feel like a fool if he fired Sherman, then a couple days later was fired himself.. So he waited, and when Ross met with him the decision was made..

Aponte was given the position of VP in 2012, she is responsible for the cap space that is making the GM position so appealing to GM's...

Just have to accept they have to work for a broad...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

Aponte was given the position of VP in 2012, she is responsible for the cap space that is making the GM position so appealing to GM's....
I am 100% sure the GM job in Miami is not appealing.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The story changes every hour. Now we are to believe the feeling is that Brian Gaine will be promoted.

The firings of Sherman and Ireland almost seem like moves to appease the mob. The majority of the OC candidates are from the Sherman tree so its almost like they aren't straying too far from the original plan.

I never thought Kubiak would consider the job but if they could land him it would be a plus. He had a good team going in Houston until his QB crumbled (injury may have been involved) and the defense suffered a bunch of injuries.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:44 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
I am 100% sure the GM job in Miami is not appealing.

Well thats good.... But your just another fan, not a GM looking for work lol
Quote:
Why Dolphins have a quality GM opening
January, 8, 2014

By James Walker | ESPN.com

The Miami Dolphins agreed to part ways with former general manager Jeff Ireland on Tuesday. It was a move that some believed was long overdue after Miami completed its fifth consecutive non-winning season.

However, the seat Ireland vacates is a good one. Here are several reasons Miami has a quality opening at general manager:

1. Plenty of cap space

Again our most appealing feature is what the VP has done with the money..

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/68536/why-dolphins-have-a-quality-gm-opening

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:41 am

10acjed wrote:
I like the approach myself. GM handles finding what is available, coach selects the players he feels will fit the team best...

Not looking for a HC to do it all, but I sure like the "menu" approach over the brown bag of you get what they give and like it...

We had that approach for several decades and in the long run it led to this team becoming bereft of talent. See the Wannstedt/Saban days for the culmination of having a coach pick the players.

When Scott Pioli was with the Patriots, they were drafting well and found a guy by the name of Tom Brady in the 6th round. Now that Bellicheck has more control, they can't draft to save their lives.

It seems to me the best approach is the one we've actually had in Miami for a while, where the GM and head coach collaborate and build a consensus. The problem hasn't been the structure, it has been the participants. Especially on the player development (i.e. coaching) side.

Several teams that have had success have both a strong coach and strong GM working side by side.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 am

10acjed wrote:
Aponte was given the position of VP in 2012, she is responsible for the cap space that is making the GM position so appealing to GM's...

Just have to accept they have to work for a broad...

She's also notorious for identifying and targetting threats and eliminating them.

Teams don't work well when there isn't synergy and she seems like the type to build "sides" rather than build consensus.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:36 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

She's also notorious for identifying and targetting threats and eliminating them.

Teams don't work well when there isn't synergy and she seems like the type to build "sides" rather than build consensus.

She's a cancer that needs to be cut, we need teamwork, not this BS which has crippled this team for over a decade.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Guess we always have the 2015 to look forward to

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]