View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 
 Sage Rosenfels: Get Dan the Man in here. 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Sage Rosenfels: Get Dan the Man in here.
I don't think I'd give him GM power, but I would work him into a position of power in the Dolphins organization as the Broncos did Elway.

https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Sage Rosenfels: Get Dan the Man in here.
OK Sage, thanks, go back to whatever you are doing nowadays.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

That was kind of my thought too.

I'm not sure that Marino has the capability to evaluate talent. There is certainly nothing in his history to show that he has any experience or kno-how to either run a team or evaluate talent.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm not sure that Marino has the capability to evaluate talent. There is certainly nothing in his history to show that he has any experience or kno-how to either run a team or evaluate talent.

Elway was hired and he moved up. I wouldn't mind hiring Marino since he is a "football" guy in some capacity, but to automatically hire him as a GM or some high exec. is dumb. Let him move up if he has "it". From Marino's point (speculating) is that he has a cushy job on TV where he just has to comment on games and do a halftime show. SUre, it's a lot of work but I would assume working for a NFL team is a lot harder and more time consuming.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:24 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Big Dave wrote:
I don't think I'd give him GM power, but I would work him into a position of power in the Dolphins organization as the Broncos did Elway.

https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18

I've give him ala carte line item veto power just like Elway has in Denver. Dan will understand what it takes to build a winning franchise just like Elway.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Marino would be best suited being OC than GM.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

dolphans1 wrote:

He doesn't have any coaching experience. He'd have to start at some type of assistant position, maybe work his way up to QB coach and then perhaps OC.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

QB coach.. who could do it better...

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:16 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

jammer wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

He doesn't have any coaching experience. He'd have to start at some type of assistant position, maybe work his way up to QB coach and then perhaps OC.

Marino was coaching Scott Mitchell and was telling him where to throw and who would be open.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:19 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

eleaf wrote:
Makchell wrote:

John Elway.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Bad news Sage, youre crazy. I mean, I like the idea but . . Our boy Dan makes over a Mill for talking a few hours on Sundays.

He loves the Phins but theres no reason for him to leave what hes got

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Steve Zissou wrote:
Bad news Sage, youre crazy. I mean, I like the idea but . . Our boy Dan makes over a Mill for talking a few hours on Sundays.

Actually they threw his name out on his show during the season asking if he'd entertain the idea. He said yes he would entertain any offer.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

dolphans1 wrote:
Marino was coaching Scott Mitchell and was telling him where to throw and who would be open.

Giving pointers to your teammate isn't necessarily good resume material for an OC job.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

jammer wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

Giving pointers to your teammate isn't necessarily good resume material for an OC job.

That's your opinion, but Dan Marino really understands the game, and his passion will carry over, moreover, it would be great if he got a Super Bowl ring, as a Coach.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Dan will understand what it takes to build a winning franchise just like Elway.

Based on what? He never understood that a team needed a running game to win when he was the Qb.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Can Dan Marino draw up running plays, design blocking schemes?

Yeah, I have no doubt he could work his way up to that, but its not as simple as just walking in calling the shots. I think he'd need a few years working with other positions and observing coaches design gameplans before taking such a leap.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Makchell wrote:

John Elway.

First person I thought of too. He did a great job recruiting Manning, but I would like to see how he does as GM after Manning.

Now Manning himself would make one heck of an OC one day, but I have a feeling he will go into broadcasting.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:51 pm
Profile WWW

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Based on what? He never understood that a team needed a running game to win when he was the Qb.

Based on the fact he is a winner. He has been great at everything he has set out to do. So it was Dan's fault that Miami never had a running game. Did you ever stop and think maybe Miami never needed one? Look at how many top passing teams make hte playoffs and how many top rushing teams make the playoffs over the last 10 years.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:02 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Based on the fact he is a winner. He has been great at everything he has set out to do. So it was Dan's fault that Miami never had a running game. Did you ever stop and think maybe Miami never needed one? Look at how many top passing teams make hte playoffs and how many top rushing teams make the playoffs over the last 10 years.

While the running game didn't help, it was the defense that lost Super Bowl XIX, by allowing 5 STRAIGHT scoring drives by San Francisco.

The fact is that Miami never needed a dominant running game. They needed a running game that was at least competent.

Early in Marino's career, (83-86) the running game was just that. They had leading rushers that averaged over 4 yards a carry in all those years. The were even 4th in yards per attempt in 1986. Those offenses were the template that would have been enough for Marino to win a Super Bowl.

If it hadn't been for the defense.

The failure to have a competent running game later on in Marino's career falls on the coaches and GMs who gave Marino Sammie Smith, Cecil Collins, etc.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Exactly. Don Shula's worst mistake was hiring and keeping Tom Oliva_ottii. The D is omitted from his name for obvious reasons.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Steve Zissou wrote:

At least from his interview on "Inside the NFL" late in 2013, he seems very open to it. Personally, I don't think you can assume Marino will have success, just because Elway has done well. Post-Football, Elway has been quite successful in his business ventures, Dan not so much...........in fact he's pissed away a big part of his fortune.

Inside the NFL interview...........

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/cb-V3Vla9rafjh3/dan_marino_on_the_miami_dolphins/

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

shularino wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

At least from his interview on "Inside the NFL" late in 2013, he seems very open to it. Personally, I don't think you can assume Marino will have success, just because Elway has done well. Post-Football, Elway has been quite successful in his business ventures, Dan not so much...........in fact he's pissed away a big part of his fortune.

Inside the NFL interview...........

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/cb-V3Vla9rafjh3/dan_marino_on_the_miami_dolphins/

Marino's a warrior, he'll be good at anything football related. haha I guess I'm saying he would need to be offered a high paying gig to walk away from what he has (& thats the attitude I perceived in that video). I love that he has such a passion and connection to his old team. & he it would be real exciting for us if he were working with Tannehill right now. But I doubt he would want to start low & it might be a gamble to bring Dan in as a VP

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:26 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

NFLJunkie wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Miami had a running game, with David Overstreet, unfortunately, he was killed in a horrific car crash, plus our defense then would just would give up too many points, some said because we scored too quick.

It's history now, and if we don't get a running game here, we're gonna be in trouble next season.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:49 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

He is an average commentator.

:haha

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Truly Sage Advise!

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Based on the fact he is a winner.
Remind me what did he win? I know he did not win a SB, nor a National Championship. Maybe State HS?

NFLJunkie wrote:
He has been great at everything he has set out to do.
Not great husband.

NFLJunkie wrote:
So it was Dan's fault that Miami never had a running game.
Not fault, but he never allowed it to develop. Marino had a golden arm & he knew it.

NFLJunkie wrote:
Did you ever stop and think maybe Miami never needed one?
Well, since they never won, then yes I have.

NFLJunkie wrote:
Look at how many top passing teams make the playoffs and how many top rushing teams make the over the last 10 years.
Last 10 Yrs? Didn't Marino retire 13 yrs ago?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:

Post-Football, Elway has been quite successful in his business ventures, Dan not so much...........in fact he's pissed away a big part of his fortune.

While yes. He was also scammed out of 15 million.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Based on the fact he is a winner.
Remind me what did he win? I know he did not win a SB, nor a National Championship. Maybe State HS?

Wrong.
A winner is someone who wins.
When Marino retired, he was 2nd in all time NFL wins as a starting QB, just a single win behind Elway.

Marino was not technically a "champion."

NFLJunkie wrote:
He has been great at everything he has set out to do.
Dphins4me wrote:
Not great husband.

Football related. I'd rather not throw stones at a relationship that I (nor you) know about. Not my business.

NFLJunkie wrote:
So it was Dan's fault that Miami never had a running game.
Dphins4me wrote:
Not fault, but he never allowed it to develop. Marino had a golden arm & he knew it.

You mean like when Jimmy took over? When they would be 13th in rushing attempts, but a dismal 29th in yards per carry? Would you have liked them to run more?

Shula tailored his teams to its strengths. That is why Griese handed the ball off every down, and was why Marino passed all the time. It wouldn't have made sense for Griese to throw 40 times a game, just like it wouldn't have made sense for Marino to hand off 40 times a game.

Like I said before, Marino just needed a running game to competent, not god awful.

NFLJunkie wrote:
Did you ever stop and think maybe Miami never needed one?
Dphins4me wrote:
Well, since they never won, then yes I have.

DEFENSE.

NFLJunkie wrote:
Look at how many top passing teams make the playoffs and how many top rushing teams make the over the last 10 years.
Dphins4me wrote:
Last 10 Yrs? Didn't Marino retire 13 yrs ago?

True. Marino was a bit ahead of his time.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

1984phins wrote:
When Marino retired, he was 2nd in all time NFL wins as a starting QB, just a single win behind Elway.

Technically? We view things differently.

1984phins wrote:
Football related. I'd rather not throw stones at a relationship that I (nor you) know about. Not my business.
Whats to know? Married man fathers a child with a woman who is not his wife. Nothing else to know. Besides I was just joking around with my post.

1984phins wrote:
You mean like when Jimmy took over? When they would be 13th in rushing attempts, but a dismal 29th in yards per carry? Would you have liked them to run more?
So that is your crutch? One yr out of 17? Besides more talking when Marino was in his prime ( Pre '95 ). He was old & fading when Jimmy took over and he did not have the pull over JJ as he did with Shula

1984phins wrote:
Shula tailored his teams to its strengths. That is why Griese handed the ball off every down, and was why Marino passed all the time. It wouldn't have made sense for Griese to throw 40 times a game, just like it wouldn't have made sense for Marino to hand off 40 times a game.
Yes he did, but he went to far with throwing. Air Coryell did not win & neither did Miami.

1984phins wrote:
Like I said before, Marino just needed a running game to competent, not god awful.
Not disagreeing.

1984phins wrote:
DEFENSE.
Agree. A running game would have allowed the D to rest a little also.

1984phins wrote:
True. Marino was a bit ahead of his time.
True. Hard to believe in todays NFL that they are just now getting to 50 Tds. Imagine what Marino would have had with the rules today.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:46 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

1984phins wrote:

I agree. Dan the Man is a winner and does a decent job as a sports commentator. He has stayed in the game since he retired, too. And he wasn't a champion because his teams didn't have enough talent to win. That doesn't fall on Marino. Shula could never put together a running game and Marino's defenses were always below average.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a place for Marino in the front office. Would Ross create a 4th head of power below him? That actually sounds ridiculous. I enjoyed watching Marino every Sunday, he was always a class act, and he loves the Dolphins organization. Right now he has it made as a commentator, and I do enjoy getting to see him on Sundays. What I would really like to see is Dan put together a push to buy the Dolphins. From what I understand though, it's a great way to lose money.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:49 am
Profile WWW

Dphins4me wrote:
shularino wrote:

Post-Football, Elway has been quite successful in his business ventures, Dan not so much...........in fact he's pissed away a big part of his fortune.

While yes. He was also scammed out of 15 million.

Not that this matters as far as how well he would do in the front office of the Dolphins but he was not scammed , not one bit. I know its a hard pill to swallow. He made a bad investment. He invested in a company (Digital Domain) headed by James Cameron whose claim to fame was resurrecting dead rap artists via hologram.
He bought 1,576,525 shares in the company at its peak ,almost 9% of the company. I think he bought in at about $9.00 a share & the company went chapter 11 in about a year & the stock was at something like 50 cents a share.
Alot of working class people lost everything who dont have the means to rebound like Marino does , if anyone got scammed they did.
Most anything Marino did on the field can easily be defended & should be. However recently in his personal life the same cannot be said. Dont mean to judge , just wanted to set it straight that he was not scammed & knew exactly what he was doing & the risks involved.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:50 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Not that this matters as far as how well he would do in the front office of the Dolphins but he was not scammed , not one bit. I know its a hard pill to swallow. He made a bad investment. He invested in a company (Digital Domain) headed by James Cameron whose claim to fame was resurrecting dead rap artists via hologram.
He bought 1,576,525 shares in the company at its peak ,almost 9% of the company. I think he bought in at about $9.00 a share & the company went chapter 11 in about a year & the stock was at something like 50 cents a share.
Alot of working class people lost everything who dont have the means to rebound like Marino does , if anyone got scammed they did.
Most anything Marino did on the field can easily be defended & should be. However recently in his personal life the same cannot be said. Dont mean to judge , just wanted to set it straight that he was not scammed & knew exactly what he was doing & the risks involved.

Was referring to Elway being scammed. Sorry, I was not clear on that.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:11 am

Dphins4me wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Was referring to Elway being scammed. Sorry, I was not clear on that.

No problem , thanks for the clarity.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]