View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Power Struggle 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Power Struggle
Quote:
If you've been following my recounting of the dysfunction within the Dolphins late last season you understand why the relationship between general manager Jeff Ireland and coach Joe Philbin was broken. You understand why this team may struggle to hire the most gifted and serious general manager candidate available.

Now let me give you more history. Let me give you more background on the dysfunction to help you understand its genesis.

I already shared what caused the rift between Ireland and Philbin. I blame both parties for that rift. Grown men, professional men, who have the same goal at heart should be able to sit down and have frank discussions about what troubles them about their relationship. Obviously that's in a perfect world.

The Dolphins facility is far from that world.

And part of the problem points directly to executive vice president of football administration Dawn Aponte. It seems that when Bill Parcells hired Aponte to be Miami's capologist in Feb. 2010 he brought in a tough and experienced corporate in-fighter. She is clearly adept at forming alliances. And when she sees a threat, she is well capable of attacking it.

Ireland was a threat to her, according to sources who called me this morning.

Ireland was her boss when she joined the team four years ago. But after Parcells left in October 2010, she lost her chief sponsor. And she wasn't comfortable with Ireland as her supervisor. So soon after Joe Philbin was hired, Aponte decided she and the new coach could bond and that alliance could strengthen each person's position within the organization.

Aponte, club sources say, also found ways to ingratiate herself to owner Stephen Ross. Nothing wrong with that. He's the boss. She would often ask to join Ross on his private jet flights back to New York from home games, often citing a need to handle club business at the league office in New York.

Aponte, a former league and New York Jets employee, apparently used the face time with Ross and the help of Jay Cross, a Related Company president and a former New York Jets president, to convince the owner of her value and how she should not be under Ireland's supervision.

Ireland, seeing this, asked Ross to fire Aponte after the 2011 season. Ross didn't go for it and, indeed, after mulling the matter, actually promoted Aponte from Senior VP of Football Operations to her current Executive VP role. And in so doing, Ross doubled Aponte's salary. And got her out from Ireland's umbrella. And Aponte joined parts of the coach search of 2012 that led to Philbin's hiring after Jeff Fisher turned the Dolphins down cold.

Knowing that Ireland had tried to get her fired, Aponte turned her sights on the GM. The relationship between the two, professional and even cordial in public at league meetings and alike, was a struggle for power behind the scenes.

Aponte, strengthened by her alliance with Philbin, had been winning that struggle for quite some time. She made herself very visible, attending practically every practice. She advised Philbin on how to handle the media before every weekday press conference -- that meeting sometimes taking longer than the actual press conference. She attended the coach's show and made sure the questions were positive and gave Philbin an opportunity to shine. She edited the videos the team posted on its website of the Philbin postgame speech to the players.

(Unfortunately for Philbin, she didn't think to cut out the part where coach needed to read off index cards to deliver his address).

The bottom line is now Philbin and Aponte -- fresh off a victory over the last general manager -- want to make sure the next general manager is not truly empowered. The last thing they want is for Ross to hire a guy who will have the power to hire and fire Philbin and or Aponte.

They want a puppet person that will merely evaluate talent and handle the draft and keep his mouth and business to himself.

But as I've shared already the best candidates for a general manager job may not bite because 1. They don't want to get involved in the Dolphins office politics and/or 2. He wants to have the power and autonomy to bring their own people and perhaps get rid of the current people if that's what he thinks best.

So keep a close eye on what is about to happen next with this hire. If Ross hires a strong GM with authority to hire and fire Philbin and/or Aponte, then the duo has lost favor. But if Ross promotes Aponte to GM or hires someone who is merely a personnel guy but not the general manager in power as well as title then the Aponte-Philbin axis has won and runs the show.

There is a third option and that's the czar approach the Dolphins have used before, as well, with that person over everyone. But that's for another day.

Stay tuned.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... wnjoe.html

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:27 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Power Struggle
I hope Ross reads that.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The "twitterverse" is basically calling it a mysogenistic hit piece but I saw Jeff Darlington basically agree with it (via his sources) and state that there is still a chance for the new GM to have power.

Interesting take from him is that other potential GMs see an opportunity to "win the owner, win the power". Basically Ross's allegiance can change.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:46 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Nice op-ed piece with a lot of speculation.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:50 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:

Speculation? Or putting the pieces together from what his sources are telling him?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
They want a puppet person that will merely evaluate talent and handle the draft and keep his mouth and business to himself.

Maybe this is exactly what the GM should be, Ireland had terrible people skills. He's better off locked in his office.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:05 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Hey, there is no problem with someone being ambitious. I've read that what she really wants is the open NFL position rather than our GM position.

I do believe that she can grow a heart ... and work together for the common good.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Reading that makes me feel that having a really good Dolphin team is so far away. I truly envy the teams with strong ownership.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
I do believe that she can grow a heart ... and work together for the common good.

..... and you know this because?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

..... and you know this because?

Follow follow follow follow follow the yellow brick road.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Speculation? Or putting the pieces together from what his sources are telling him?

I think Ireland is his source. Pure speculation on my part...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:40 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Where there is smoke there is fire. Its no wonder Miami is in the shape it is in.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:02 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I think the problem is these gossiping hens aka "Team sources" that work around these people.

Buy an intern a few drinks next thing you know the whole office is in shambles with this one back stabbing that one....

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
I think the problem is these gossiping hens aka "Team sources" that work around these people.

Buy an intern a few drinks next thing you know the whole office is in shambles with this one back stabbing that one....

Agreed. Go on the record or STFU. The journalism tactic of composing narratives based on "unnamed sources" (in all forms of journalism, not just sports) is intellectually dishonest and misleading. I don 't buy it when the New York Times assures me that unnamed sources swear that Obama is the bestest, I'm sure as heck not going to be the biggest Dolphin pot stirrer of them all when he writes a hit piece all based on unnamed source material.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Seems sorta like this:
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

rodneyfaile wrote:
Reading that makes me feel that having a really good Dolphin team is so far away. I truly envy the teams with strong ownership.

Call me hopelessly optimistic, but I don't think that is the case.

Do you believe that better coaching could have netted us one more win?

Do you believe that a better offensive line could have netted us one more win? (Think of how the Baltimore and home Bills game ended)

If you think the answer is yes, then we are not that far. If the new GM is good, we will fix our line problems.

If Philbin doesn't make the playoffs this year, he is gone.

I believe in Tannehill, therefore I think we will be fine.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

1984phins wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Call me hopelessly optimistic, but I don't think that is the case.

Do you believe that a better offensive line could have netted us one more win? (Think of how the Baltimore and home Bills game ended)

If you think the answer is yes, then we are not that far. If the new GM is good, we will fix our line problems.

If Philbin doesn't make the playoffs this year, he is gone.

I believe in Tannehill, therefore I think we will be fine.

I would answer yes to both of those questions.

But when you have an owner who meddles and wants to tell his coaches and GM how to do their jobs, I don't think that is a recipe for success, and I don't see the owner changing any time soon.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Not the biggest fan or Armando Salguero, but reading that article made me just CRINGE.

Miami needs a management in place that is ONE, not FACTIONS and formed allegiance against individuals.

Miami has been a dysfunctional organization for a EXTENDED period of time. This has to and MUST change.

Sure, I had my issues with Ireland and some of his personnel decisions, but the covert is not BARE for the Dolphins. Rebuild the OL, bring in and OC/QB coach that can help improve Ryan Tannehill and bring some key pieces in on D, and this COULD be a playoff team.

The pressure it on Stephen Ross to GET IT RIGHT. He needs to get it RIGHT.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Mindtornado wrote:
Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I think Ireland is his source. Pure speculation on my part...

More than likely ... or a close friend of his. I remember hearing some complaints years ago from a friend of Marc Trestman complaining that the Dolphins messed up by not making Trestman the temporary head coach when Wannstedt was fired (or quit). I said the right thing to him and he opened up about it. I was wondering why he was even telling me.

One thing I will say is that Salguero has stepped up his game the past 2 years. He seems to be careful about putting up rumors without evidence to back him up. When the other Florida and NFL media outlets were quick to post a rumor (usually wrong), he didn't write about them quickly. He has with the Dolphins long enough to have some good inside sources.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:48 am
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Agreed. Go on the record or STFU. The journalism tactic of composing narratives based on "unnamed sources" (in all forms of journalism, not just sports) is intellectually dishonest and misleading. I don 't buy it when the New York Times assures me that unnamed sources swear that Obama is the bestest, I'm sure as heck not going to be the biggest Dolphin pot stirrer of them all when he writes a hit piece all based on unnamed source material.

I get the frustration with unnamed sources, but perhaps you need to sniff a dose of reality.

Why would they go on the record if it could cost them their livelihood?

Easy for you to ask that when it isn't your income on the line. :hithead:

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:27 am

1984phins wrote:

Better coaching could have netted us 3-4 more wins. Just think about the games we lost to bad teams or the games we lost where we had late leads. Simply changing the snap count to throw defenses off would have had a huger impact than anyone wants to acknowledge.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 am

Big Dave wrote:
One thing I will say is that Salguero has stepped up his game the past 2 years.

Unlike Omar Kelly, Salguero has been more right than wrong the past couple of years. Something those that choose to dismiss this story because it doesn't fit their personal agenda might want to take note of.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
10acjed wrote:

I get the frustration with unnamed sources, but perhaps you need to sniff a dose of reality.

Why would they go on the record if it could cost them their livelihood?

Easy for you to ask that when it isn't your income on the line. :hithead:

Nope. Perhaps you need to read a bit closer.

My exact quote was "go on the record or STFU." There is already an option there that doesn't risk one's job and livelihood built-in to my statement.

If you're going to yap to the press go on the record. If you're not going on the record, don't say anything at all. It's very simple.

No one except Armando and his "unnamed source" gets anything at all out of printing comments from said unnamed sources. We, the public, get very little. I'm not interested in furthering Armando's career or supporting an unnamed source and whatever agenda they might be pushing unless they're willing to give me information that can be verified and shown to not be agenda furthering nonsense. Give me info I can use honestly, or keep it to yourself.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
One thing I will say is that Salguero has stepped up his game the past 2 years.

Unlike Omar Kelly, Salguero has been more right than wrong the past couple of years. Something those that choose to dismiss this story because it doesn't fit their personal agenda might want to take note of.

How can a fan have a personal agenda when he can neither disseminate information on any but the smallest of scales, and have zero impact doing it? The only people that have anything at all to gain when unnamed sources are used are the journalist and the unnamed source. If they're not willing to put their names on what they say, it's clear that there is an agenda being pushed.

When you read "According to unnamed sources . . ." it should automatically be translated in to "According to someone closely involved with the story and who has a specific agenda to push . . ."

Without any way to verify what Armando is saying, what he's presented is a narrative, not news.

I wouldn't put much stock in to either Kelly or Salguero. Both clearly are agenda driven.

Last edited by eleaf on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:39 am
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
How can a fan have a personal agenda when he can neither disseminate information on any but the smallest of scales, and have zero impact doing it?

Simple, I'll give you an example. A fan wanted Ireland fired. Because they agree with the move, they will now agree with anything that comes along with it so they will dismiss anything that disagrees with that. It's very common, actually.

Quote:
If they're not willing to put their names on what they say, it's clear that there is an agenda being pushed.

That's your opinion. Your opinion is not necessarily fact. I know you struggle with that notion, but it's reality.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:48 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
How can a fan have a personal agenda when he can neither disseminate information on any but the smallest of scales, and have zero impact doing it?

Simple, I'll give you an example. A fan wanted Ireland fired. Because they agree with the move, they will now agree with anything that comes along with it so they will dismiss anything that disagrees with that. It's very common, actually.

Quote:
If they're not willing to put their names on what they say, it's clear that there is an agenda being pushed.

That's your opinion. Your opinion is not necessarily fact. I know you struggle with that notion, but it's reality.

What you're describing isn't pushing an agenda. It's called confirmation bias. People choosing to believe their preconceptions is common, but it has zero impact on anything at all.

Put your name on it, or STFU. As I said, if the info you're giving out can't be verified, it's worthless. Man up or shut up.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:04 am
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
Put your name on it, or STFU. As I said, if the info you're giving out can't be verified, it's worthless. Man up or shut up.

Again, easy for you to say sitting comfortably behind your computer when it would have no impact on your livelihood.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:14 am

Reporters throw a ton of crap out and sometimes like a broken clock they're right. Just my 2 cents.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:47 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

If even an ounce of the article is true, the team is in trouble.

As a poster said earlier, reading this article made me CRINGE.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:57 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Reporters throw a ton of crap out and sometimes like a broken clock they're right. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah well... this isn't the first time we hear stories about Dawn Aponte.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

2nd best question I've seen so far came from PBP's Andrew Abramson: No doubt Philbin/Aponte won the power struggle with Ireland. But is the team better for it?

The best question of course is why didn't Ross press reset from the get go and start fresh?

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

Again, easy for you to say sitting comfortably behind your computer when it would have no impact on your livelihood.

Not really sure how leaking all this bad press to the media is helping someone in that organization stay employed..

If anything it is continuing to tear them apart, Sherman gone, Ireland gone, now we are so bad GM's dont even want to come here. Even tho nobody has even been interviewed...

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:29 pm

10acjed wrote:
Not really sure how leaking all this bad press to the media is helping someone in that organization stay employed..

You're looking at it the wrong way.

Not disclosing their name is helping that person stay employed. But at the same time, reporters have sources they build relationships with and over time rely on them for information and those sources continue to be willing to talk.

It's journalism 101.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:35 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:

You're looking at it the wrong way.

Not disclosing their name is helping that person stay employed. But at the same time, reporters have sources they build relationships with and over time rely on them for information and those sources continue to be willing to talk.

It's journalism 101.

Im asking about the source, not the journalist..

If Ross blows it all up, brings in a VP/GM type that cleans house, is the "source" safe? If so the source is questionable to me..

Is it manny the janitor.. Or is this source just talking trash, keeping the reporters interested and getting the rewards? etc... plenty of ways to look at it really being its all rumor, no facts and nobody goes on record, meaning they could be lying...

I just have a hard time believing everything I read these days...

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 pm

10acjed wrote:
I just have a hard time believing everything I read these days...

Then just study Salguero's track record and judge for yourself.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:24 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

If hes right, we are screwed for years to come... If it helps, so be it.. For me it just makes being a fan of this team more painful than it already is...

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 pm

10acjed wrote:
Rich wrote:

If hes right, we are screwed for years to come... If it helps, so be it.. For me it just makes being a fan of this team more painful than it already is...

That's why I take this story so seriously... not to mention before Ireland was mutually fired, Aponte had already been up to funny business.. writing Philbin's comments for him, fixing his shirt collar before interviews, editing his postgame speeches (too bad she forgot to edit out the flash cards) etc.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Its now being reported that potential candidates are having a difficult time understanding the power structure of the front office.

Is this really happening right now?

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

jammer wrote:
Its now being reported that potential candidates are having a difficult time understanding the power structure of the front office.

Is this really happening right now?

Yeah but these are leaks from unnamed sources and cowards...

Andrew Abramson @AbramsonPBP More #Dolphins GM candidates emerging but there's some confusion over process

Adam Beasley @AdamHBeasley I've heard good things about Dawson, but as @RavensInsider notes, the team's uncertain power structure could scare him off.

Andrew Abramson @AbramsonPBP So sounds like there is still confusion from candidates even after they are talking to the Dolphins. Maybe it'll be cleared up in interview.

Andrew Abramson @AbramsonPBP Wooten said he spoke to Farmer who spoke to Fins & "I didn't quite understand what they were saying about how everything is going to work

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Didn't Farmer directly tell Wooten he was unsure? So wouldn't that be the primary source?

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next