View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Stephen Ross says the GM will have 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Stephen Ross says the GM will have
Control over the 53 man roster. This from ProFootballTalk.com.

After a couple of confusing days, more is now known about the vacant General Manager position in Miami.

In a statement released Thursday night, owner Stephen Ross made it clear that the G.M. won’t be a so-called “G.M. Light.”

“The new General Manager will have autonomous responsibility for the 53 man roster and selecting players during the draft and will report to me,” Ross said. “First and foremost, this person must have a passion for the game and demonstrated player evaluation expertise. They will need to be a person who is a collaborative team player that puts the organization first. Regardless of reporting structure, the relationship between the General Manager and Coach Philbin must be one of trust, respect, and collaboration, and this will be an area we will look closely at during the process. This individual also must be a person with integrity who is open-minded and creative.”

Ross said that former Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson will assist in the search process, but that after the job is filled Peterson will have no role in the organization.

“Carl and I have had a business relationship for almost 30 years dating back to the USFL and I have tremendous respect for his experience and judgment on team building and football operations,” Ross said. Ross reportedly had planned to hire a “football czar,” who would have overseen former G.M. Jeff Ireland and absorbed most if not all of Ireland’s powers. Ross has now decided to hire a G.M. with basically the same duties and authority that Ireland exercised.

The statement comes after the Fritz Pollard Alliance advised minority candidates to decline to interview for a job that didn’t entail power over the roster. The other vacant G.M. job in Tampa reportedly doesn’t entail power over the roster.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Stephen Ross says the GM will have
Unless I missed it. Says nothing about the GM having control over who is the coach.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
By Adam H. Beasley
abeasley@MiamiHerald.com

After much anticipation, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross on Thursday spelled out what he’s looking for in a general manager.

The short version: Someone to do Jeff Ireland’s job — just do it better.

After a week of speculation that Ross might strip his next GM of power, Ross pledged to give Ireland’s replacement the same authority his predecessor had — autonomous control over the roster and the draft.

And, importantly, the new general manager will report directly to Ross — not executive vice president Dawn Aponte or coach Joe Philbin, as some around the league feared. However, it does not appear that the next general manager will have power to fire either Aponte or Philbin. ...

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/09/3 ... rylink=cpy

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
However, it does not appear that the next general manager will have power to fire either Aponte or Philbin. ...

Then they are not a traditional GM

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:24 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Not good.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

As was pointed out by some of the writers, there are only 2 GM openings and neither has control over the coach (the other being in Tampa). So its not like the candidates have a ton of options.

I honestly think Ross is going to give Philbin more than a year to prove it. We better pray he finds an OC who can save his bacon.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:56 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

How many teams have an org structure similar to ours and how many teams have a structure where the GM hires and fires coaches?

And which teams? I'd be interested to know.

We know that in Seattle and New England, the coach hires and fires the GM. In Denver, I believe John Elway hires and fires the coaches in Denver as the de facto GM (he has strong personnel guys behind him like Tom Heckert).

In San Francisco, I think they have the same structure as the Dolphins.

Indy has a strong GM, that hires and fires the coach. At least they did with Bill Polian.

It'd just be interesting to see what type of structure is most common and most successful.

Although ultimately I believe it is the people and not the structure that leads to success.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Although ultimately I believe it is the people and not the structure that leads to success.

Bingo.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Exactly. So before anyone gets their panties in a wad, let's see the person and the pedigree that they hire as even then, it will still be the results that matter and that will take time no matter what to see.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:36 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

this can work...

and i 100% think Ross will make it work....

1 CEO that's keeps everyone on the same page.. focused on the same goals......

everyone being accountable...

team work!

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

randylvc wrote:
this can work...

team work!

Agreed, but like Rich said you must have the correct people to make it work. I already do not believe they have the correct head coach. The new GM can find all of the talent he wants and Aponte can negotiate the best contracts under the sun, but if Philbin fails to develop the talent and manage games then they are back to square one in 2015 or 2016.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:06 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What if a GM doesn't like Coyle or doesn't even like zone defense? Only zone defense fans need apply? Scheme does factor into recruiting, or at least it should!

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:19 pm
Profile WWW

rodneyfaile wrote:
What if a GM doesn't like Coyle or doesn't even like zone defense? Only zone defense fans need apply? Scheme does factor into recruiting, or at least it should!

A GM should be able to evaluate talent to fit the system, not determine the system.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:46 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

randylvc wrote:
this can work...

team work!

I agree as well. Just look at recent history , we can definitely get this thing done.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

A GM should be able to evaluate talent to fit the system, not determine the system.

That is true.

I don't know, maybe I'm too inflexible. I would just prefer if the owner hired a GM, the GM hired a HC, and then they together chose some assistants. It just makes more sense to me. Maybe I am just wishing Coyle and his defensive scheme were gone. I don't think a real estate developer is the best choice to make football decisions.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]