View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 am



Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3247
Post Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Quote:
Armando Salguero
E-mail | Bio

...

the name multiple sources are now telling The Herald is the Dolphins leading candidate to take the Dolphins GM job: Cleveland Browns assistant general manager Ray Farmer.

Remember the name.

Farmer has emerged as the search began Friday for two reasons:

He truly is a strong candidate with a strong background. Secondly, former Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson has joined the Dolphins search and is Stephen Ross's chief advisor in the process. Peterson is a 30-year friend and confidant to Stephen Ross. And Peterson loves Farmer.

Morever, Peterson is supremely confident in his ability to identify and hire prospective NFL general managers.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy


Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:03 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1149
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
If he's so good then why don't the Browns promote him to GM.............they're even worse than we are.


Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:30 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Yeah. coming from the Browns pedigree isn't exactly inspiring.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:40 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 1227
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Rich wrote:
Yeah. coming from the Browns pedigree isn't exactly inspiring.


I with you Rich. What has Cleveland done to instill confidence in finding NFL talent? :headscratch

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:46 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Well, Farmer joined the Browns in 2013. Prior to that, he did spend 6 seasons working with the Chiefs, primarily under Pioli. That may be the connection. I already posted an analysis of Pioli's drafts.

This past season, the Browns only had 5 picks. A 1st rounder, a 3rd rounder, a 6th rounder and two 7th rounders. Hard to work with that.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:54 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1149
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Well, maybe he's a diamond in the rough and only Peterson can see it. You know there's a lot more to being a GM, than just an individual's personal ability to evaluate talent. You have to establish and lead a team..........evaluate what other teams are going to do..........establish a cohesion with your coaching staff and so on.


Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:06 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5728
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
YES! This guy is a stud! I've been watching his career for so long and he has potential to be great, just look at the Browns!


Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Makchell wrote:
YES! This guy is a stud! I've been watching his career for so long and he has potential to be great, just look at the Browns!


Again, he was with the Chiefs from 2006-2012. Only with the Browns for 2013.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:06 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 776
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Rich wrote:
Yeah. coming from the Browns pedigree isn't exactly inspiring.



Seems like they don't want him to go and he's only been there 1 year.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/marla ... e-1.458234


Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:30 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3993
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
bobby0112 wrote:
I with you Rich. What has Cleveland done to instill confidence in finding NFL talent?

Cleveland is a QB away from being a good team.


Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:44 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5425
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Well, Peterson loved him and Pioli kept him around. Rumor has it the two of them didn't agree on much but both valued Farmer highly.

Sounds promising.

Also note that Miami just asked for permission to interview Tom Gamble aka the very hyped guy from Philly.


Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:21 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 889
Location: Lakeland, FL
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:
YES! This guy is a stud! I've been watching his career for so long and he has potential to be great, just look at the Browns!


Again, he was with the Chiefs from 2006-2012. Only with the Browns for 2013.


Chiefs 2008 draft was pretty darn nice -

Glenn Dorsey didn't live up to the hype as a first rounder but he played most all his games
Branden Albert we all know
Brandon Flowers is a stud
Jamaal Charles . .
DaJuan Morgan is basically a special teamer/backup safety now
& Brandon Carr was solid till he got over payed

But this proves that building a team through the draft takes time because this group came in 5 years ago now. & at least Farmer was a part of that in some experience.

_________________
Image


Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:42 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5425
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Steve Zissou wrote:
But this proves that building a team through the draft takes time because this group came in 5 years ago now. & at least Farmer was a part of that in some experience.


You have to consider the possibility that a lot of the guys Ireland drafted ('11-'13 without Parcells) possibly pan out and show maybe he wasn't that bad.

I'm not going to argue Ireland was the best, but I think his track record looks a lot better if Miami had a coach who developed talent.


Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:23 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Dphins4me wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
I with you Rich. What has Cleveland done to instill confidence in finding NFL talent?

Cleveland is a QB away from being a good team.


they drafted Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron, Joe Haden, Jabaal Sheard and TJ Ward recently. Someone knows what they're doing there.


Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:02 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20599
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
swerve13 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
I with you Rich. What has Cleveland done to instill confidence in finding NFL talent?

Cleveland is a QB away from being a good team.


they drafted Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron, Joe Haden, Jabaal Sheard and TJ Ward recently. Someone knows what they're doing there.


All of them before Ray Farmer joined the Browns.

_________________
Image


Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:33 am
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 889
Location: Lakeland, FL
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
jammer wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:
But this proves that building a team through the draft takes time because this group came in 5 years ago now. & at least Farmer was a part of that in some experience.


You have to consider the possibility that a lot of the guys Ireland drafted ('11-'13 without Parcells) possibly pan out and show maybe he wasn't that bad.

I'm not going to argue Ireland was the best, but I think his track record looks a lot better if Miami had a coach who developed talent.


I agree with that. We haven't had a coach that excels at utilizing talents in a long while. I still believe Matt Ryan would've been a waste here.

I like personally like several of the players we've drafted the past 2 years. Hope they turn up strong

_________________
Image


Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:15 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1149
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
Steve Zissou wrote:
jammer wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:
But this proves that building a team through the draft takes time because this group came in 5 years ago now. & at least Farmer was a part of that in some experience.


You have to consider the possibility that a lot of the guys Ireland drafted ('11-'13 without Parcells) possibly pan out and show maybe he wasn't that bad.

I'm not going to argue Ireland was the best, but I think his track record looks a lot better if Miami had a coach who developed talent.


I agree with that. We haven't had a coach that excels at utilizing talents in a long while. I still believe Matt Ryan would've been a waste here.

I like personally like several of the players we've drafted the past 2 years. Hope they turn up strong


I believe Ireland will again be a GM in the next few years. I would say an outside shot with the Bucs this year, but Ireland is carrying too much baggage to land with a FL team.

Ireland built this year's team to beat the Pats, assuming if he was able to do that, the coaching staff and team would be able to beat most of the rest............ughhhhh.

I would be so much happier if we kept Ireland and got rid of Philbin and his boys, but that didn't happen. Nonetheless, I do agree one of them had to go.

From here on the team is clearly on Ross/Philbin's shoulders..........Philbin, Croyle and the OC will need to fill every position with players that exactly fit their scheme. These guys have shown no ability to devise a game plan that best utilizes the talent they have.


Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:33 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
shularino wrote:
These guys have shown no ability to devise a game plan that best utilizes the talent they have.


I agree.

I'm no fan of Ireland, and I was glad to see him go, but I have to say he was better at his job that the coaches were, especially Coyle.

I wish they would have just cleaned house, got a new GM, and then Ross just got out of the way and let him go to work.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 pm
Posts: 892
Location: Orlando, Fl
Post Re: Dolphins leading GM candidate: Ray Farmer
He was the ultimate guy calling the shots in Cleveland or Kansas City. None of us on the outside really have enough information to evaluate his job performance. All we can do is hope that they know what they are doing.


Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:45 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.