Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Go, Go-Go ... Omaha?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:16 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Peyton Manning showed us how to use "Omaha" vs Tannehill's use of the Go, Go-Go. The difference is that Peyton Manning has always been a master at getting defenses to jump offsides.

Peter King wrote:
I think, re “Omaha” and the craze it caused thanks to Peyton Manning’s use of it against the Chargers, this is a word designed in most cases to alert the offense to snap and start the play on the next sound from the quarterback. Unless, as in the case of the neutral-zone infractions (San Diego had four of them eight days ago), it’s a quarterback telling the offense in the huddle or on the sidelines to go on the second or third sound after “Omaha,” to confuse the defense. I remember watching Tim Tebow practice during his rookie year, and every snap was after “Omaha … GO!!” Because Peyton Manning knows his sounds are being recorded and parsed by teams trying to pair words with on-field actions and plays, he knows that if he uses one word over and over, he can’t have the kind of pattern to it that will make it easy to follow.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/peyton-ma ... terback/7/

Post subject: Re: Go, Go-Go ... Omaha?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:28 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I watched him yesterday and he said Omaha set and snapped the ball but it was never just a run or pass. the defense had no idea. On the goalline, he said Omaha set and ran twice. the 3rd play he said Omaha set and did a playaction to the right, the whole D bit for an easy TD pass. The Fins gogo is always a run and go is always a pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The problem with our offense and defense is the players have no say or room to change plays significantly. Anyone with enough experience to say "this isn't going to work, let's do X" is simply gone the next season. Philbin wants a bunch of yes men. Even as a High School QB I had room to say what count to snap the ball, to vary the cadence and to check off to a run or pass based on the defense. I think that is more latitude than any player on the current Dolphins Roster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

How is that even possibly true??

Tannehill in the no huddle offense has already been documented as calling the plays at the line (probably off of a circumstancial ruberic that was engineered into the play book)..... but there is no way that he is getting plays called from upstairs into his headpiece and relayed to the field.

More importantly, the offense was substantially better when in the no huddle due to Tannehill calling the shots (they were one of the most productive teams in the final 2 minutes of each half).

And weren't there at least 2 TD's that were audibled by Tannehill too?? Wasnt the Dion Sims over the shoulder TD one of such where the play called was never meant to be for him and Tannehill sent a hot route? I think one of Gibson's (probably the first one) on the quick slant was a Tannehill adjustment....

Do i think the offense was too vanilla, and Tannehill didnt change many of his plays due to poor reads? Possibly.... I think it had more to do with the Tannehill-Sherman dynamic, and this thing HAS to go alot deep than the surface.

There can't be reports of Tannehill losing confidence in Sherman the week before the season finale with a playoff berth on the line if it werent true. I think there came a point where Tannehill's blind faith in Shermans system for 6 years was totally gone by mid season.... but the time Tannehill has spent with Sherman (6 years) thats more than 20% of his life.... think about it..... this thing probably had some kinda paternal thing going on.... father-son type.... not coach-player.... Tannehill played WR for this guy.... probably smoked his first joint in fear that Sherman would find out..... Sherman may have bought the dude his first legal beer... i mean come on, this thing HAS to go alot deeper than it is being made out to be....

And with that being said.... It may have been more hesitation to change the play more so than a bad read here (he did a good job with the reads in the no huddle offense)... I think it had more of a "dad said this, its gotta be the right more"..... and after 3/4s of a season of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, I think Tannehill finally saw the light, that Sherman was washed up, and that he wasnt gonna take this team anywhere.... and being a 25 year old kid may have said something that snowballed into this lost confidence report...

I truly believe that this will be a top 10 offense next season, and that T-hill will be a top 5 QB next season with a 4000 yard campaign (not out of necessity, but out of skill), And not because of Lazor, but because Tannehill needs a new tutor, and Sherman brought him only as far as he could..

Go Go/Go will be gone next season, guaranteed.... if not.. Thats Philbin.

Ill give Philbin the benefit on the doubt on this one. I dont think he wanted to throw Sherman under the proverbial bus on this one, but I think he knew there was something wrong, and he would resolve it at the end of the season when the microscopes werent zoomed in so much.... it resolved itself in its own way.... but if the Go GO isnt gone next year, then Philbin is at blame there for being clueless...

But he seems organized and smart enough to know what was wrong, i just think he let Sherman have the full reign on the offense, and this was its realization, it'll be different next year.... or else its gonna be a long decade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think you answered your own question. RT was calling from his wrist band in the two minute offense. Otherwise, I thnk everything came fro upstairs with a simple check off to run or pas. No latitude to complete change up the play....ie attack a mismatch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

More Peyton Manning brilliance:

Pat Kirwan wrote:
'Omaha?' What about 'Montana?'

Peyton Manning and his brother, Eli, have been yelling "Omaha" for years. Heck, when I was with the Jets, we had an "Omaha" call. It is just a signal to go with the play and snap the ball.

The call that intrigued me during Sunday's Denver game was the "Montana" call. When Peyton called "Montana" out of the shotgun, he was seeing a five-man box from the defense and the middle linebacker was offset and easy to block. The call changed the play to a run and it did a lot of damage to the Patriots.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat ... super-bowl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:08 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Peyton Manning will probably go into broadcasting, and be great at it, but I swear he would be the best OC ever!

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]