Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:24 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 5e5057fa97

Quote:
We’ll start with the Foles angle because of how impressive it was, and also because it represents Lazor’s latest work. We know about Foles’ numbers, but the way to truly appreciate Lazor’s impact is to compare them to what Foles did in 2012 as a rookie.

Foles’ passer rating under Lazor increased an incredible 40 points, from 79.1 to 119.2 — the third-best single-season performance in NFL history behind the 122.5 put up by Aaron Rodgers in 2011 and the 121.1 from Peyton Manning in 2004. Foles’ completion percentage also jumped from 60.8 to 64.0. Finally, his TD-to-INT numbers went from 6-to-5 to an incredible 27-to-2.

This wasn’t the first time, however, that an NFL quarterback experienced significant improvement with Lazor as his position coach.

Lazor’s previous NFL coaching stop before last season came with the Seattle Seahawks in 2008-09. In his first season there, the Seahawks had to turn to Seneca Wallace after veteran Matt Hasselbeck was sidelined. Under Lazor’s tutelage, Wallace threw 11 touchdown passes against only three interceptions that season. That is by far the best TD/INT ratio of Wallace’s career, with his second-best showing being a 2:1 margin when he had four touchdowns and two picks in 2010 as a member of the Cleveland Browns.

Before his stint in Seattle, Lazor served as quarterbacks coach for the Washington Redskins, for whom he worked with veteran Mark Brunell in 2006. During that season, Brunell compiled a passer rating of 86.5, which happened to be his best in a season with at least four starts since his glory days with the Jacksonville Jaguars in the late 1990s.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

If Lazor helps take Tannehill's game up a level or not, it will not be for lack of trying. Tannehill is a very hard worker and very intelligent, and Lazor did some nice work with Foles. Tanny still has good upside despite his last two games.

One thing that really disappointed me about Sherman was his lack of work with Tannehill's deep pass. Didn't he realize that Wallace was brought in here to be a deep threat? Yet, he didn't practice the deep ball much and the scouts said that was a weakness of Tannehill's coming into the draft.

ESPN Insider wrote:
Accuracy
"More accurate short-to-intermediate than deep at this point. Deep ball sails too often. Shows good touch and frequently leads receivers to yards after catch. Also flashes ability to throw receivers' open Anticipation continues to improve with more game experience. Does a nice job of delivering the ball before receiver breaks (especially on deep outs and comebacks). A&M receivers dropped 64 passes in 2011 and struggled getting out of breaks too often, but Tannehill maintained trust and threw to spots. Has great mechanics when throwing on the run and is one of the most accurate on-the-move passers -- to both sides -- in this class.

Phinfever's 2012 Draft Analysis on Ryan Tannehill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:47 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

If Lazor can get Tannehill to have a better pocket awareness and scramble a little more I think the improvement will be automatic. Reducing the interceptions and sacks will be the keys. Some of last years sacks were on Tannehill for holding the ball to long. Just throw it away and call the next play. Generating a running game will help balance the offense and should create more deep play action passes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:44 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If we can fix the O-line I could see Tannehill taking a big jump in his progress.

The other player I see breaking out under Lazor is Lamar Miller. He may not be LeSean McCoy but I bet we could see similar play given the right opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:08 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

bobby0112 wrote:
If Lazor can get Tannehill to have a better pocket awareness and scramble a little more I think the improvement will be automatic. Reducing the interceptions and sacks will be the keys. Some of last years sacks were on Tannehill for holding the ball to long. Just throw it away and call the next play. Generating a running game will help balance the offense and should create more deep play action passes.

This is exactly what needs to happen, Tannehill needs to play in a moving pocket at all times, Play to his strengths like Russell Wilson does.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:48 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i think that Lazor will build an OFF around talent... and not try to make the triangle hit in the square..

watch the change in the game when the eagles dropped Vick ... thery adjusted the Off not just the player and well IMO the eagles became 1 hell of an amazing Off team....

with all the crazy going on lazor is the 1 move I can say I am looking at as a huge + and I'm very excited to see how it works out...

if our new GM can get the O-line fixed and maybe get some RB help... i think the off is gonna be pretty cool..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:

If Tannehill improves his deep ball significantly as well as pocket awareness, Hickey gets him a solid offensive line, and Lamar Miller (or any other RB) proves to actually be an asset not only for himself and the offense, but for play action opportunities as well, I see this Miami squad easily making a deep run in the playoffs. However, that is A LOT of wishful thinking though. Resigning Brent Grimes, Solia, and Clemons is also vital to playoff success.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:03 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Lining up Mike Wallace in different spots and putting him in motion would make a huge difference. Designing plays for Tannehill to use his legs would make a big difference. Eliminating GO and GO GO...well, you get the point. The bar isn't that high for Lazor to make improvements.

There doesn't need to be an overhaul, just some changes to play to the key peoples' strengths. Still baffles me how things us average joe's could pick up on seemed to go over the head's of the coaching staff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If we can get the defense to blitz more often, Tannehill will look like Peyton Manning (during the regular season). Tannehill kills the blitz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:19 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

that last comment was great

Tannehill has been monstrous against the blitz. Give this kid 4 seconds in the pocket and he can tear things up..... circa Brady via 2007

No lie... the only way to stop that Brady machine was to blitz, and put him to the ground, but his OL was strong enough to protect it against every team except the Giants....

Give Tannehill an OL, and let the dogs come after him.... Wallace will look like Super Duper, and Hartline will look like a young ed McCaffery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Tannehill was OK against the blitz. 58% completion, almost 1400 yards, 7 TDs and 5 INTs for a 83.8 rating.

When not pressured (blitz or no blitz), Tannehill was 66% completion, 3000 yards, 19 TD, 7 INT and a 94.2 rating.

The key is to buy him more time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Tannehill was OK against the blitz. 58% completion, almost 1400 yards, 7 TDs and 5 INTs for a 83.8 rating.

When not pressured (blitz or no blitz), Tannehill was 66% completion, 3000 yards, 19 TD, 7 INT and a 94.2 rating.

ESPN has different splits. They have this against the blitz:

60% completion, 1,341 yards, 5 TD's to 3 INT's, and a rating of 88.5.

Fox and SI have your stats though, so who knows. PFF probably has the most accurate data, although I don't have access to it.

The fact that his rating his higher against the blitz than when not blitzed, yet his rating is just 32.3 when pressured, speaks to your point. They key is protecting him.

Hopefully they get to a point where defenses have to send in 5 or 6 guys, and you have the RB's to pick it up. At that point Ryan should be moving the ball with ease.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:15 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami needs a speedy checkdown threat to give Tannehill a safety valve. Oh, and an o-line too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:39 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:
This is exactly what needs to happen, Tannehill needs to play in a moving pocket at all times, Play to his strengths like Russell Wilson does.

Play to a player strength? This is Miami. They do not do that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:04 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Ironic to hear this stat after early on every touting how good Tanny was against the blitz.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
The fact that his rating his higher against the blitz than when not blitzed, yet his rating is just 32.3 when pressured, speaks to your point. They key is protecting him.

The key is to protect any QB bro.

That does not automatically clean up areas Tannehill struggles in. I'm not in the camp that a simple O-line tweak is going to solve everything. That's too easy and absolves him of areas he still needs work. There were games when protection was fine and he still had his lapses.

Pocket presence and deep ball. A new O-line won't guarantee those, but all three need to be in alignment.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 pm 

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

The key is to protect any QB bro.

That does not automatically clean up areas Tannehill struggles in. I'm not in the camp that a simple O-line tweak is going to solve everything. That's too easy and absolves him of areas he still needs work. There were games when protection was fine and he still had his lapses.

Pocket presence and deep ball. A new O-line won't guarantee those, but all three need to be in alignment.

How was Manning's deep ball with Cliff Avril in his face?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:38 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Lets not forget the importance of a running game. Miami cannot be one dimensional again this year. They have to find a way to run the ball when defenses make adjustments against the passing game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:18 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
How was Manning's deep ball with Cliff Avril in his face?

How is Manning's deep ball in general? What do we have to compare that situation to? Was every single one of Tanny through a deep ball under extreme duress? You seem to be implying that.

The Manning thing is kinda funny btw. That dude got the ball out faster than anyone, but we don't sit there and say it's because the O-line was awful. Over here though, we had that big-ol debate about Tannehill's release time. Granted our O-line was nothing to write home about, but Tanny wasn't on his butt every single play like some here want to portray. There is a natural instinct in the pocket that Tanny clearly is lacking in regardless of when the O-line around him struggles.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:42 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
Miami needs a speedy checkdown threat to give Tannehill a safety valve. Oh, and an o-line too.

an o-line that allows us to drop the te out or a fb or the hb for that matter..

or all 3 mixed and changing all the time....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:19 am 

Rock Sexton wrote:
How is Manning's deep ball in general? What do we have to compare that situation to?

It is excellent when he has the pocket to step up into.

Quote:
Was every single one of Tanny through a deep ball under extreme duress? You seem to be implying that.

I'm assuming you meant throw? So I will go with that.

Almost every deep ball was under duress. Literally almost every deep ball he attempted he was about to get planted by the rush up the middle.

Quote:
The Manning thing is kinda funny btw. That dude got the ball out faster than anyone

The Broncos passing game is based on a lot of short quick routes. That's why Manning gets the ball out quickly most of the time.

But during the season, when they went deep, he generally had a lot of time to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:04 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rock Sexton wrote:
There is a natural instinct in the pocket that Tanny clearly is lacking in regardless of when the O-line around him struggles.

It was there his rookie year and I think most people around here and in the media praised him for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:45 am 

Tannehill clearly showed improvement in his pocket presence as the season went on...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:30 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Tannehill clearly showed improvement in his pocket presence as the season went on...

Ehh. I wouldn't agree with that.

I'd say it was actually pretty good as a rookie. One of the things that impressed me the most about him.

Last year he took a step back and I actually thought it got worse as the season went on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:38 am 

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:

Ehh. I wouldn't agree with that.

I'd say it was actually pretty good as a rookie. One of the things that impressed me the most about him.

Last year he took a step back and I actually thought it got worse as the season went on.

As the season went on, he started moving around more and making more plays with his legs.

This goes back to coaching. He was being coached to sit in the pocket and look downfield and that direction didn't change even as it became clear that this offensive line couldn't provide him with a clean pocket.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]