All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:50 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The Miami Dolphins have plenty of cap space and an owner more than willing to spend big money (as they pronounced to candidates on countless occasions during their bizarre and meandering general manager search).

What they do not have, however, is much institutional strength or proven know-how, with the lingering dysfunction of that GM search still a topic in league circles as the combine quickly approaches and the results of Ted Wells' investigation into the team's locker room culture still not released. The Dolphins also have a roster that will need major repair.

They don't have much time, either, with free agency opening in a month, and plenty of their own players with expiring contracts to deal with before then. Rookie general manager Dennis Hickey is facing a massive task of trying to sell his vision and plan when the reality is a handful of others passed on the job before owner Stephen Ross settled on the longtime Tampa exec as the man to replace fired Jeff Ireland.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -cap-space

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:19 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Hickey has his work cut out for him. He needs to resign Grimes, Clemmons and Soliai or Starks. Then he needs to sign a free agent starting O-tackle. And last but not least he has to find two starters for the o-line in the drafts first 3 rounds. Miami needs to find impact players in the 1st 3 rounds. Not just players like Egnew, Jerry or Daniel Thomas but impact players.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:34 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

At least Hickey 's deal is on par with Philbin. If the team sucks next year, they both can be fired

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:41 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
At least Hickey 's deal is on par with Philbin. If the team sucks next year, they both can be fired

And then we can hire our 4th choice head coach AND GM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm not happy about Ross' dysfunction in his GM hiring process. Nevertheless, Hickey and Dominik did a pretty good job of putting talent together at Tampa Bay. If there was a head coach worst than Philben in the NFL then it was definitely Schiano who had no business coaching an NFL team. I will do my best to give Hickey a chance to prove himself to us. I don't think we have a choice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Here we go again! Man, I can hope Miami starts getting it right and finally see all this negative press just go away on this organization.

By any chance, has anyone watched the HBO segment of Real Sports with the Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive featured??? What a GREAT story and why can't we get an owner like that to take over the Miami Dolphins???

I encourage all of you to watch that if you are able to.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:34 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Maybe the NFL should have a policy that if you own a team you must live in the same city.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:26 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
Maybe the NFL should have a policy that if you own a team you must live in the same city.

With us being in the internet age and a cell phone 24/7 on a person, I wonder if that really makes a difference. If everything has to pass through him first he'd better make himself very available.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:26 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson wrote:
### Before we turn the page, some final postscripts from Dolphins owner Stephen Ross’ organizational tinkering the past month: Ross asked GM candidates their opinion of random players (some Dolphins, some from Michigan, some others) and loved the thoroughness of Hickey’s answers. One Dolphins official insists of all the candidates, Hickey displayed the most encyclopedic knowledge of players. Ross also liked his lack of ego and commitment to innovation.….

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:33 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Finhead34 wrote:
Here we go again! Man, I can hope Miami starts getting it right and finally see all this negative press just go away on this organization.

By any chance, has anyone watched the HBO segment of Real Sports with the Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive featured??? What a GREAT story and why can't we get an owner like that to take over the Miami Dolphins???

I encourage all of you to watch that if you are able to.

Yes .. that was a great segment. That guy surely goes against the trend.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]