Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:16 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson wrote:
### Dion Jordan: The coaching staff loves his tools but believes he needs to add more muscle mass to play the run more effectively (he intends to) and shore up his pass rush moves. He would not project as a 2014 starter.

Some inside the Dolphins believe he might be better at linebacker, but defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle has said he prefers him at end because he loves having Koa Misi on the field on first down. And Misi’s spot is the only linebacker position that some evaluators believe he would be well suited if he doesn’t play defensive end.

“When we drafted Jordan, nobody expected Olivier Vernon to develop like he did,” a Dolphins source said. “My concern is [Jordan] will have struggles playing against bigger tackles. If you play him at linebacker, he has far more range and speed and explosiveness than Misi. But Koa is more consistent and steady. Jordan gives you great flexibility because he can cover and rush the passer. This is a huge offseason for him.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I expect Dion to be much more of a factor this year now that he is a year removed from the surgery on the shoulder.

Dion is a kid that REALLY needed to be able to add weight and get stronger, but that hard to do coming off shoulder surgery. You can see the speed and athletic ability that he has, but he needs more power.

This offseason in the weight room will be key for Dion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If he doesn't get bigger and improve on his technique enough to get significant playing time, did we make a regrettable move to trade up & draft him?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
If he doesn't get bigger and improve on his technique enough to get significant playing time, did we make a regrettable move to trade up & draft him?

You could possibly say that for sure. Miami did not give up a lot considering the move, but they still did give up a 2nd round draft pick that had in the 2013 Draft. That could have been a pick used to trade for Branden Albert, or perhaps draft an OLT.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:02 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Steve Zissou wrote:

I would say that if he is a bust, which seems to be what you are describing, then it was a regrettable move to trade up and draft him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I don't quite understand this. Jordan is probably better than any of Miami's LBs in coverage, is faster and probably tracks down a runner better, and can blitz pretty well.

Wouldn't you use this unique skill set with his freakish athleticism to develop him as maybe a top OLB? Its not like Olivier Vernon developing at DE is a bad thing?

Can't these coaches learn to work with their talent as opposed to forcing it into what they want?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:44 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
I don't quite understand this. Jordan is probably better than any of Miami's LBs in coverage, is faster and probably tracks down a runner better, and can blitz pretty well.

Wouldn't you use this unique skill set with his freakish athleticism to develop him as maybe a top OLB? Its not like Olivier Vernon developing at DE is a bad thing?

Can't these coaches learn to work with their talent as opposed to forcing it into what they want?

ya i am right there with you... when the kid was on the field i think he was pretty dammm good... not perfect but good.... not sure why they drafted him if they thought all along that he was too small or weak... turn the kid lose and lets see what he has in the tank

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]