View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Free Agency Moves 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Free Agency Moves
Miami has 30 million of cap space, an aggressive owner and an aggressive GM. Hickey (under Dominick) wasn't afraid to make a splash. It would not shock me one bit if there was a trade for a player we never saw coming (think Brandon Marshall to the Bears or the Bucs overspending to get Revis). This would be my approach based on who I think will realistically be available, fits a need, and is affordable:

Re-sign = Brent Grimes CB, Paul Soliai DT

I'd also consider Bryant McKinnie if my LT options sign elsewhere

Sign = Anthony Collins LT, Jon Asamoah G, Legarrette Blount HB

I'd also consider Wade Smith G, and Ronnie Brown HB as fallback options. Collins is great because of age but I'd also look at Branden Albert. I just expect someone else to REALLY overpay for him. Asamoah is that young, proven guard Miami needs. Smith is proven, his OL coach is in Miami and he's cheaper than other veteran options. Blount can help Miami get tough yards and shorten up those third down situations. He and Hickey are familiar with each other as well. Ronnie Brown doesn't offer the power back option but fills a big 3rd down back need should Miami roll with Lamar Miller or draft a guy.

I think making these moves will free Miami up to take BPA in the draft. I know JP is high on Miami getting a TE at 19, and other guys have talked about CJ Mosely at MLB if available. Those become options if you don't HAVE to take LT for need.

I expect Jonathan Martin and Daniel Thomas to be immediate cap casualties.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Free Agency Moves
If we could take BPA I'd want a huge target like Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin for Tannehill.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:18 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Miami has 30 million of cap space, an aggressive owner and an aggressive GM. Hickey (under Dominick) wasn't afraid to make a splash. It would not shock me one bit if there was a trade for a player we never saw coming (think Brandon Marshall to the Bears or the Bucs overspending to get Revis). This would be my approach based on who I think will realistically be available, fits a need, and is affordable:

Re-sign = Brent Grimes CB, Paul Soliai DT

I'd also consider Bryant McKinnie if my LT options sign elsewhere

Sign = Anthony Collins LT, Jon Asamoah G, Legarrette Blount HB

I'd also consider Wade Smith G, and Ronnie Brown HB as fallback options. Collins is great because of age but I'd also look at Branden Albert. I just expect someone else to REALLY overpay for him. Asamoah is that young, proven guard Miami needs. Smith is proven, his OL coach is in Miami and he's cheaper than other veteran options. Blount can help Miami get tough yards and shorten up those third down situations. He and Hickey are familiar with each other as well. Ronnie Brown doesn't offer the power back option but fills a big 3rd down back need should Miami roll with Lamar Miller or draft a guy.

I think making these moves will free Miami up to take BPA in the draft. I know JP is high on Miami getting a TE at 19, and other guys have talked about CJ Mosely at MLB if available. Those become options if you don't HAVE to take LT for need.

I expect Jonathan Martin and Daniel Thomas to be immediate cap casualties.

I like what you have put together Dan. I would also look at Alex Mack at center right now because I am not quite sure what is going on with Mike Pouncey. He is involved with the mess with Incognito and also possibly with Aaron Hernandez.

Brent Grimes and Paul Soliai would be the guys I re-sign also and would ask Dmitri Patterson to take a pay cut or let him go.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
I like what you have put together Dan. I would also look at Alex Mack at center right now because I am not quite sure what is going on with Mike Pouncey. He is involved with the mess with Incognito and also possibly with Aaron Hernandez.

Brent Grimes and Paul Soliai would be the guys I re-sign also and would ask Dmitri Patterson to take a pay cut or let him go.

Man you got that right Tony. Based on all that is coming out plus Pouncey's other lurking issues it would not surprise me to see a complete o-line reboot. If that is the case you'd have to figure getting Alex Mack or a reliable starting center is priority number 1. You need a line general.

Pouncey could be suspended for an extended period of time and if he faces legal issues I can't see Miami committing to him.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Uhhhh............Yeah...............Pouncey's at least our 3rd most valuable Offensive Player...........a reasonable argument can be made he's higher than that. Hopefully, it's apparent Incognito instigated this and his removal will go a long way to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Go ahead...........have a talk with Pouncey, suspend him for the first two preseason games, but lock him up.........if not, he'll be someone else's future Hall of Fame Center.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:26 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

shularino wrote:
Uhhhh............Yeah...............Pouncey's at least our 3rd most valuable Offensive Player...........a reasonable argument can be made he's higher than that. Hopefully, it's apparent Incognito instigated this and his removal will go a long way to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Go ahead...........have a talk with Pouncey, suspend him for the first two preseason games, but lock him up.........if not, he'll be someone else's future Hall of Fame Center.

Better hope like hell he not involved with Aaron Hernandez and that nightmare. He not being asked questions for nothing.

Is he a great young player, yes he is. But his decision making off the field and on the field from a leadership standpoint leaves a lot to be desired.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Yeah I mentioned moving Pouncey in another thread he's a bonehead. After this report id let him go and if he's successful elsewhere so be it at least we are clean of anything that is coming up potentially. he's even hurt on the field already once with that punch to the face this last season that he should have been thrown out for. an offensive line can only be as good as its center and the offensive line has been garbage. he's not a leader and we can move on with someone like alex mack or any of the other names in free agency. a lot of centers.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1 - Re-sign Grimes, Soliai, and Clemens.
2 - Sign Alex Mack (C) before the draft. If you can get a late 1st or early to mid 2nd for Pouncey, move him on (or around) draft day. If not, keep him around for at least one more year and move him to left guard. But not before stripping him of his position on the leadership council. Mack is a high price addition, but no higher than what Pouncey will likely command next season when he becomes a free agent.
3 - Sign John Kuhn (FB). Kuhn is one of the best pass blocking fullback in the NFL. He gave up zero sacks this past season in 3rd down passing situations. Both he and Clay were rated in the top ten in the NFL at their respective positions (Kuhn FB / Clay TE) in pass blocking efficiency. This kind of move would really make sure those blitzes are getting picked up.
4 - Sign Jon Asamoah (RG). Asamoah is a solid young player who could give us a veteran presence on the right side of the line.
5 - Sign Marshall Newhouse (OT). Newhouse will come cheap because he sat on the bench for most of 2013. To say he had a down year is an understatement. But before that, he was the Packers starting left tackle and was tied with Jake Long and Branden Albert in pass blocking efficiency in 2012. He's only 25 and has over 30 starts under his belt. He's a low risk high reward signing.

I'd really like to see us land a quality left tackle in free agency, but I just don't see it happening at the right price. Unfortunately, we'll likely need to draft our next left tackle. If that's the case, and we're going to be picking at 19, I'm hoping Taylor Lewan from Michigan (aka Jake Long lite) is still on the board in the 1st. Then I'm praying someone like Morgan Moses from Virginia is still around in the 2nd round when we pick. While two rookie tackles isn't ideal. With a group of Mack, Pouncey, and Asamoah in the interior, and a quality pass protector like Kuhn in the backfield, we might be able to pull it off. But we're still going to have to draft at least one or two more offensive linemen in order to complete the overhaul.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:03 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Marrshall newhouse is bad end of story

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

well I guess that's the end of the story fellas. :haha

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:20 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
shularino wrote:

Better hope like hell he not involved with Aaron Hernandez and that nightmare. He not being asked questions for nothing.

Is he a great young player, yes he is. But his decision making off the field and on the field from a leadership standpoint leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed. Its not the bullying stuff that has me worried, its other issues. Hernandez was involved in illegal gun trafficking (allegedly) and there have been rumors of Pouncey being associated with it. I just hope his problems stopped with what was in the Wells Report.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IF Miami loses Pouncey for an extended period of time or decides to move on (not sure it will happen, but who knows) here is an alternative:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/551 ... rich-Smith

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

speaking of best player available....I know it's far from a glaring need but I would love a guy like Haha Clinton-Dix roaming the back end of our defense. That guy has incredible range, I think teams are going to fall in love with him. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets drafted in the top 12 picks.

Here's a small sampling of his ability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUAN7nHy5U

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:43 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
speaking of best player available....I know it's far from a glaring need but I would love a guy like Haha Clinton-Dix roaming the back end of our defense. That guy has incredible range, I think teams are going to fall in love with him. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets drafted in the top 12 picks.

Here's a small sampling of his ability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUAN7nHy5U

Attacking the football moving down hill he's extremely impressive. I've questioned is sideline to sideline ability in coverage in the past. I have to watch more tape of him in the next couple months.

While he'll time well at the combine, he was part of an Alabama Defense that played slow this season. Impressive athlete though with great recognition ability.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:41 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

With the Grimes signing I'm seeing a few rumblings and people connecting the dots on twitter.

First thing is that Soliai now believes he is a goner via tweets from his agent. Apparently they were told Grimes wasn't getting a big contract?

Miami also hired an Asst OL coach from KC leading to speculation that they are making a run at Albert.

I said this earlier today (except I applied it to Eugene Monroe) that I could definitely see Miami spending big to retain Grimes and get a franchise left tackle. It gives them so much more flexibility in the draft.

We all know Ross will spend if he is properly convinced.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think we're gettin Albert or Monroe.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:04 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This is from Rotoworld.com.

The Ravens didn't use the franchise tag on free agent LT Eugene Monroe by Monday afternoon's deadline.
It means Monroe is now free to hit a market that could also include Jared Veldheer and Branden Albert. Although there's more high-end tackle talent available than usual, there's also more league-wide cap space, as well as plenty of teams who need to upgrade on the blindside. All three players are in commanding negotiating positions. Monroe is Rotoworld's No. 1 ranked free-agent tackle.

I would believe that now that Monroe is able to talk with any team, he is THE target for the Dolphins. I read that the Ravens and Monroe were not close to a deal.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Arizona will back up the truck for a left tackle also.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:44 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

Yes, but now you have Monroe, Albert, Collins and Veldheer on the market. Cincy and KC have potential solutions in place, Oakland and Baltimore are in position to draft a 1st round replacement.

I think Miami is in a good spot to either A. Overpay for Monroe or B. get Albert at a lower price tag than anticipated now that the market has a few more options.

I was 95% certain neither Monroe or Veldheer would make it to FA. At this point, for all of them, why not test the market?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:03 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Yes, but now you have Monroe, Albert, Collins and Veldheer on the market. Cincy and KC have potential solutions in place, Oakland and Baltimore are in position to draft a 1st round replacement.

I think Miami is in a good spot to either A. Overpay for Monroe or B. get Albert at a lower price tag than anticipated now that the market has a few more options.

I was 95% certain neither Monroe or Veldheer would make it to FA. At this point, for all of them, why not test the market?

Teams still have time to sign their free agents even though they did not put the tag on them. I think they have until Saturday to get it done, then all the teams can get involved.

Baltimore is still working to try to get Monroe signed, even though they are far apart. The Raiders have more cap space than any team in the NFL, so I would think they would do what they have to to get Veldheer signed, but we will see.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I really hope we get the chance to sign a tackle from FA rather than drafting all new guys. But, even if we don't, we can trade up to get a lineman heavy first few rounds with at least 1 top 5 prospect.

But I'd much rather have Monroe....or mayyybe even Albert....not the biggest BA fan, but he is better than anything we got by far, and then some.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Teams still have time to sign their free agents even though they did not put the tag on them. I think they have until Saturday to get it done, then all the teams can get involved.

Baltimore is still working to try to get Monroe signed, even though they are far apart. The Raiders have more cap space than any team in the NFL, so I would think they would do what they have to to get Veldheer signed, but we will see.

I just get the feeling the agents are drooling at the chance for a bidding war.

I honestly cannot believe Baltimore did not tag Monroe and it leads me to believe they are prepared to lose him. Anthony Collins in FA or Taylor Lewan/Zack Martin are pretty decent contingency plans. Oakland is in position to grab either Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson if needed.

I think Miami is in the driver's seat for Monroe because A. He didn't get tagged B. Miami and Baltimore have about the same chance of making the playoffs C. Hickey and Philbin know they need a splash at LT and D. Ross has shown he will spend big bucks for key positions

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:17 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I just get the feeling the agents are drooling at the chance for a bidding war.

I honestly cannot believe Baltimore did not tag Monroe and it leads me to believe they are prepared to lose him. Anthony Collins in FA or Taylor Lewan/Zack Martin are pretty decent contingency plans. Oakland is in position to grab either Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson if needed.

I think Miami is in the driver's seat for Monroe because A. He didn't get tagged B. Miami and Baltimore have about the same chance of making the playoffs C. Hickey and Philbin know they need a splash at LT and D. Ross has shown he will spend big bucks for key positions

Considering what that the Ravens gave up draft picks to get Monroe, yes, I am surprised that the Ravens did not put the tag on him either.

Could possibly boil down to the Dolphins and Cardinals for the best OLT in FA.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]