View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kelvin Benjamin 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Kelvin Benjamin
How would you like us taken him in the first round. I think he is going to be great in the NOT and would be excited to have him. I know we have other needs but Dam that kid can play. Thoughts?

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:14 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Kelvin Benjamin
He drops a lot of easy passes, is immature right now as a player, and is a little stiff for me at times.

Talented, but not worth #19 for a team that doesn't need a WR. That said, I think adding size at pass catcher (WR and TE) this off season is a must.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

Talented, but not worth #19 for a team that doesn't need a WR. That said, I think adding size at pass catcher (WR and TE) this off season is a must.

Gamble on Kenny Britt?

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Gamble on Kenny Britt?

I think you roll with the top 4 receivers you have and in the draft take advantage of the depth at the position; go get a big WR in Day 3 to develop. I'd invest big in a TE though.

Gibson and Hartline will probably be gone after this year, so you need to starting developing some boundary pass catchers.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:13 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
Gibson and Hartline will probably be gone after this year, so you need to starting developing some boundary pass catchers.

Why do you think this? Tannehill has his best chemistry with these two.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Gamble on Kenny Britt?

I think you roll with the top 4 receivers you have and in the draft take advantage of the depth at the position; go get a big WR in Day 3 to develop. I'd invest big in a TE though.

would love to get Donte Moncrief or Martavius Bryant in round 4 or 5.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

No.

This team has three very glaring needs right now that cannot be addressed with players already on the roster, or free agents that can be re-signed.

OT, OG, and RB

WR is actually an area of strength when you consider that Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, and Clay should all be healthy next year when training camp opens up.

In my opinion, our first round pick needs to be an offensive lineman (preferrably a tackle). If the value isn't there, we should try to trade back and add more picks in the 2nd or 3rd round.

As far as wideouts go, I'd invite a few undrafted free agents to camp and see if anybody sticks.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:17 am

Straight beast:

Quote:
@Justin_Rogers: FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin measured in at 6-5, 240 pounds and 4 percent body fat. He's a monster.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:03 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Kelvin Benjamin is a physical freak and is going to give secondary coaches nightmares for years to come. Of all the years that we didn't need help at wide receiver. SIGH

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sailor wrote:
How would you like us taken him in the first round. I think he is going to be great in the NOT and would be excited to have him. I know we have other needs but Dam that kid can play. Thoughts?

He's the most boom or bust prospect. He's either Alshon Jeffrey or Mike Williams.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:50 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah...I'm with you Dave. No idea where PR is coming from when he said that. I've seen no indications of that whatsoever.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

could be a steal in the middle of the draft

Quote:
Rutgers WR Brandon Coleman measured 6-foot-6 and 225 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine weigh-in.
He's the biggest receiver in Indy. Coleman took a step back in 2013 while playing through a knee injury, but posted 20 touchdowns over his three-year career at Rutgers and has the raw talent to develop into a quality possession receiver. Coleman received a third-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:45 am

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah...I'm with you Dave. No idea where PR is coming from when he said that. I've seen no indications of that whatsoever.

Next year will bring a new staff. Hartline is expensive and after this season is free to cut, cash wise. Cap wise you'd take a dead hit, but save plenty of cap space.

While Brian has good chemistry with Ryan, he doesn't fit what RT needs, unless you're moving on from some other pieces. Hartline doesn't bring the size or YAC element. For me, that's huge with complimenting Tannehill. He's not worth 7+ million to the cap after this season.

Gibson will be on the last year of his deal and should be replaced by Matthews and your TE's in the slot; probably already this season.

One of the things that the West Coast offense relies on is interchangeable parts at receiver. Gibson and Hartline are both very one dimensional players.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
One of the things that the West Coast offense relies on is interchangeable parts at receiver. Gibson and Hartline are both very one dimensional players.

I know what you're getting at PR, but this team has repeatedly tried to "fix" what wasn't broken and ended up downgrading in that area. Our receivers are all getting good production, Hartline with back to back 1,000 yard seasons, Gibson obviously promising in 2013, and Wallace will find success deep once an offensive line unit rolls into Miami that is capable of sustaining the time for a deep passing offense to develop.

The Lazor hire could end up huge for this team. Scrapping Sherman was addition by subtraction, and Lazor was the icing on the cake. We have yet to see what he will bring, but I think people will be surprised by how well Miami will do in 2014 with a proper OL in the fold. That is still a big if.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:06 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

wkloiber13 wrote:
No.

This team has three very glaring needs right now that cannot be addressed with players already on the roster, or free agents that can be re-signed.

OT, OG, and RB

WR is actually an area of strength when you consider that Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, and Clay should all be healthy next year when training camp opens up.

In my opinion, our first round pick needs to be an offensive lineman (preferrably a tackle). If the value isn't there, we should try to trade back and add more picks in the 2nd or 3rd round.

As far as wideouts go, I'd invite a few undrafted free agents to camp and see if anybody sticks.

Agree 100% WR's won't mean squat if our QB is sack 58 times again!!!

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:33 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He just ran a 4.53 in the 40!!! Wow!!!

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He is one of many players I would love Miami to have, but not realistic and there is no way Dolphins do that with their first pick. This is a nice thread though for the FSU fans as Benjamin is a good one.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:31 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:

which is fairly average for a wide receiver.
Watkins just did 4.35

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:31 pm

swerve13 wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

Watkins just did 4.35

That's an unfair comparison, swerve. You know that.

4.53 for a receiver Benjamin's size is pretty darn good.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

Watkins just did 4.35

That's an unfair comparison, swerve. You know that.

4.53 for a receiver Benjamin's size is pretty darn good.

I hear that, but didnt Calvin Johnson and Randy moss time insane for big guys.
Not saying 4.53 is bad, but doesn't make me go "Wow".
Alshon Jeffrey's the same size as Benjamin and did 4.48
Calvin did 4.32

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Calvin did 4.32

Jeffery is not close to Benjamin's size.

Benjamin weighed in at 6'5, 240.

Jeffery weighed in at 6'3 216.

As far as Megatron, he's probably the most physically gifted, freak receiver to ever play.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mike Evans just did 4.47. He'll go top 17 in this draft.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Calvin did 4.32

As far as Megatron, he's probably the most physically gifted, freak receiver to ever play.

in college Jeffrey weighed 230, and he's a good 6'4".

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Texas A&M WR Mike Evans clocked unofficial forty times of 4.50 and 4.47 at the NFL Combine.
Evans was already expected to be a top-15 pick, so to call him a Combine "riser" probably wouldn't be fitting. But he's been more impressive than expected, clocking these times at a freakish 6-foot-5 and 231 pounds. Evans also has insanely long arms at 35 1/8". He's like a slightly lighter Vincent Jackson.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

would love to snag this guy in the 3rd round.

Quote:
Clemson WR Martavis Bryant clocked unofficial forty times of 4.34 and 4.35 at the NFL Combine.
Bryant played second fiddle to Sammy Watkins as a junior before turning pro, operating as Clemson's primary deep-route runner. He's really helping his stock in Indy. Bryant measured in at 6-foot-4 and 211 pounds earlier in the week. Bryant was an inconsistent college pass catcher, but possesses an obvious field-stretching makeup. He's now in the day-two draft conversation.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin clocked unofficial forty times of 4.59 and 4.53 at the NFL Combine.
The times appear slow at surface level when compared to the Odell Beckhams and Brandin Cooks of the world, but they're plenty fast for a receiver who stands 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. Benjamin is essentially on the fringe between wideout and tight end at that size. He's expected to be a late first-rounder.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:55 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Calvin did 4.32

in college Jeffrey weighed 230, and he's a good 6'4".

He ran the 40 at 216, Benjamin at 240.

And 6'3 is his official combine height. There's really no dispute here swerve lol.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

All these numbers are nice & everything. The question that needs to be ask. Can he catch the football? If not, then all these numbers are just that. Number. Stephen Hill is a prime example.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Near-tight end size (6-5, 235) with a ridiculously large wingspan, giving him a catching radius that is probably on-par with anyone at the NFL level.
Shows the gliding speed and short-area quickness to create some separation and be a terror in jump-ball situations, especially in the red zone. Big hands, good hand-eye coordination and impressive body control to snatch passes outside of his frame. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder.

Experienced playing outside and in the slot and shows courage in crossing the middle. Tough to bring down in the open field, using his long arms to effectively stiff-arm defenders and showing suddenness to accelerate once the ball is in his hands. Attentive downfield blocker who works to seal off defenders as well as peel back to take out opponents in pursuit.

WEAKNESSES: Still developing as a route-runner, adding to questions about his ability to play a large role immediately in the NFL. While his size is problematic for defenders, Benjamin's length makes it difficult for him to sink his hips and explodes out of cuts, making him much better suited to verticals and crossing routes than double-moves, limiting his fit to certain schemes.

Drops too many passes. Allows the ball into his chest too often. Will take his eyes off the ball in an attempt to make the defender miss before actually securing the pass, leading to an occasional ugly drop. Seems to especially struggle with low passes, a problem for many taller receivers.

COMPARES TO: Plaxico Burress, Pittsburgh Steelers - Possessing impressive acceleration and a similar frame as the 6-5, 232-pound Burress, Benjamin is a big play waiting to happen. The junior remains rough around the edges, however, making him a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
STRENGTHS: Near-tight end size (6-5, 235) with a ridiculously large wingspan, giving him a catching radius that is probably on-par with anyone at the NFL level.
Shows the gliding speed and short-area quickness to create some separation and be a terror in jump-ball situations, especially in the red zone. Big hands, good hand-eye coordination and impressive body control to snatch passes outside of his frame. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder.

Experienced playing outside and in the slot and shows courage in crossing the middle. Tough to bring down in the open field, using his long arms to effectively stiff-arm defenders and showing suddenness to accelerate once the ball is in his hands. Attentive downfield blocker who works to seal off defenders as well as peel back to take out opponents in pursuit.

WEAKNESSES: Still developing as a route-runner, adding to questions about his ability to play a large role immediately in the NFL. While his size is problematic for defenders, Benjamin's length makes it difficult for him to sink his hips and explodes out of cuts, making him much better suited to verticals and crossing routes than double-moves, limiting his fit to certain schemes.

Drops too many passes. Allows the ball into his chest too often. Will take his eyes off the ball in an attempt to make the defender miss before actually securing the pass, leading to an occasional ugly drop. Seems to especially struggle with low passes, a problem for many taller receivers.

COMPARES TO: Plaxico Burress, Pittsburgh Steelers - Possessing impressive acceleration and a similar frame as the 6-5, 232-pound Burress, Benjamin is a big play waiting to happen. The junior remains rough around the edges, however, making him a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect.

Translation. Will get drafted higher than he should. It will be based on what he might can do instead of what he can do.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Benjamin's 40 time ended up officially being 4.61

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:40 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Kelvin Benjamin took a quantum leap in 2013 from were he was in 2012. He still a little raw, but Kelvin ceiling is very high.

He can without a doubt in my mind be what Alshon Jeffery is right now.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

To me Benjamin looks like an undersized tightend. If he would have ripped off a 4.4 flat, I'd be intrigued. But a 4.53 is nothing more than slightly above average for a guy his size.

Does anybody remember Roberto Wallace? He was 6'4" and 225lbs. He ran a 4.49 40 yard dash.

Personally, if a receiver is 6'3" or taller, they had better be able to run at least a low 4.4 or better. Receivers are supposed to be fast. If they're not fast, or extremely technically sound in their routes (which I'm guessing this kid is not), they fail to create separataion and wind up like Wallace.

A prime example of a large receiver that is fast is Demaryius Thomas for Denver. He's 6'3" 236 and ran a 4.38. He went 22nd overall. Thomas was a raw route runner because he came from Georgia Tech. But because of his size and speed he was able to develop nicely.

Benjamin is already behind the curve because he lacks anything elite about himself other than his dimensions. His speed is mediocre. His route running is mediocre. If this kid were a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I'd say go for it (if Hickey is a best player available type GM). He reminds me a lot of Alshon Jeffrey who I wanted the Phins to take in the 2nd round a couple of years ago. But we have so many bigger needs right now I think it would be a huge gamble.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:03 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:
To me Benjamin looks like an undersized tightend. If he would have ripped off a 4.4 flat, I'd be intrigued. But a 4.53 is nothing more than slightly above average for a guy his size.

Does anybody remember Roberto Wallace? He was 6'4" and 225lbs. He ran a 4.49 40 yard dash.

Personally, if a receiver is 6'3" or taller, they had better be able to run at least a low 4.4 or better. Receivers are supposed to be fast. If they're not fast, or extremely technically sound in their routes (which I'm guessing this kid is not), they fail to create separataion and wind up like Wallace.

A prime example of a large receiver that is fast is Demaryius Thomas for Denver. He's 6'3" 236 and ran a 4.38. He went 22nd overall. Thomas was a raw route runner because he came from Georgia Tech. But because of his size and speed he was able to develop nicely.

Benjamin is already behind the curve because he lacks anything elite about himself other than his dimensions. His speed is mediocre. His route running is mediocre. If this kid were a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I'd say go for it (if Hickey is a best player available type GM). He reminds me a lot of Alshon Jeffrey who I wanted the Phins to take in the 2nd round a couple of years ago. But we have so many bigger needs right now I think it would be a huge gamble.

Brandon Marshall is not a blazer at all along with Jeffery, and he is one of the bigger and better receivers in the league along with Jeffery. It get's put out there a lot, but Jerry Rice was a 4.6 40 guy. Dez Bryant is a 4.52 guy, Larry Fitzgerald ran 4.63.

I personally probably would not take Kelvin at #19, because I think he still needs to develop. But he is a talented kid that would be a nice get in the 2nd round. And also, his numbers would have been a lot bigger if he did not have 2 other receivers on the field with over 900 yards in reception yardage.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:30 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

It would be nice to be in a position to pick him, but we have huge holes to fill elsewhere and our own FA's to re-sign.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Brandon Marshall is not a blazer at all along with Jeffery, and he is one of the bigger and better receivers in the league along with Jeffery. It get's put out there a lot, but Jerry Rice was a 4.6 40 guy. Dez Bryant is a 4.52 guy, Larry Fitzgerald ran 4.63.

I personally probably would not take Kelvin at #19, because I think he still needs to develop. But he is a talented kid that would be a nice get in the 2nd round. And also, his numbers would have been a lot bigger if he did not have 2 other receivers on the field with over 900 yards in reception yardage.

Just for reference, Marshall (4.52) and Jeffrey (4.48) are both much faster than Benjamin (4.61 official 40 time). In addition, I seriously doubt that Benjamin is as aggressive or physical with the ball in his hands as Marshall. But I do agree 100% that if that if the kid is there in the 2nd you take a serious look. Simply from a best player available standpoint he looks the part of a much slower Demaryius Thomas, which is appealing. If the Dolphins are going to look at an offensive weapon with that first pick, the guy you want is Eric Ebron. If Dustin Keller isn't able to return from injury as a cheap free agent option, then Ebron is a nice fit. Ebron would give us a huge weapon that could threaten all parts of the field from the tightend position. This would allow Clay to go back to playing the H-Back role we initially drafted him to play. Can you imagine Tannehill having Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Ebron, and Clay on the field at the same time?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He's like Alshon Jeffrey but with lesser hands and is a poorer route runner.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
He's like Alshon Jeffrey but with lesser hands and is a poorer route runner.

So he's slower, his hands aren't as good, and his routes running skills are lesser as well. Basically, he's nothing like Jeffrey other than he's a big receiver with long arms. Jeffrey is a Pro Bowl caliber receiver with excellent intangibles. I would rather compare this kid to Jeff Fuller who we got as an undrafted free agent. Fuller put up similar numbers in his junior season and had similar size and speed coming out of school. This kid to me is taking advantage of having a big season (which could also be attributed to his Heisman quarterback) and a relatively think wideout crop.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He's still pretty fast for a big jump-ball receiver and he's a devastating blocker.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:23 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

And he doesn't have Marshall playing on the other side.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next