Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:55 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Normally, not many would care about a head trainer being fired. In this instance, O'Neill was named in the Ted Wells Report. He allegedly laughed along at some of the harassment toward Jonathan Martin and an assistant athletic trainer who was made fun of because of his Japanese heritage. O'Neill didn't bring any of this to the attention of head coach Joe Philbin and is now out of a job.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/131 ... ns-offense

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:02 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A summary of what O'Neill did from Armando Salguero from Monday.

Quote:
O'Neill: He's worked for the team for 18 years and is generally respected inside and outside the organization. But the Wells report states O'Neill on mulitiple ocassions heard Jerry, Pouncey and Incognito make jokes and crude comments about Martin's sister. And, the bad part, he sometimes laughed at them. The report also states O'Neill heard the comments directed as Inoue and similarly laughed. The report states O"Neill was aware of what was going on and rather than tell his superior, he advised Martin to fight back. (Me? I'd advise Martin to fight back and tell the head coach). The report states O'Neill was not cooperative in his interview with Wells and actually left the interview before it concluded.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Now we are getting to the bottom of the problem, finally.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:20 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He was fired for That?

I almost hope he wasn't good at his job cuz this is weird

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:24 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
n June, O’Neill was awarded the Tim Kerin Award for Excellence in Athletic Training — the top national award for an athletic trainer which honors someone for “service, dedication and integrity.”

O’Neill previously worked for the University of Miami and was head trainer for the Dallas Cowboys, winning three Super Bowl titles. He came to the Dolphins when Jimmy Johnson was hired as head coach.

- See more at: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... JOhVw.dpuf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:44 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Interestingly, the Dolphins flew trainer Kevin O'Neill to Indianapolis and then fired him. He's still in Indy now.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
The Dolphins today fired longtime and respect head athletic trainer Kevin O'Neill. The club has given no reason for the move but it seems clear this is fallout from the Wells report.

But here the thing:

The Dolphins flew O'Neill to Indianapolis for the NFL combine. And fired him there this afternoon.

Not.

Cool.

At this hour, O'Neill is sitting in his room in Indianapolis. Shocked. Stunned. Upset.

The report has been out for days. ESPN's Chris Mortensen was the first to report this firing early this afternoon.

And the Dolphins aren't commenting and apparently had no actual plan for doing this the right way. Otherwise, why let O'Neill fly 1,200 miles away from home to get rid of him?

Sad.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Let him fly to Indy and then fire him????? Who is in charge of the day to day operations of this circus? Is this Ross, Philbin or Hickey? Maybe they can wait until the 2nd week of the regular season to fire Turner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:24 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Yeap, lets fire the guy who had nothing to do with it. The Miami Dolphins are no longer a joke of the NFL, but an embarrassment to the NFL.

I am now embarrassed to call myself a fan of the Miami Dolphins.

Ross has done more in his short time to destroy the team name than any other owner could ever do in 20 yrs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It scary how embarrassing this is getting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:37 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

In any other line of work, if this information made its way to human resources or management, he would have gotten fired as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
In any other line of work, if this information made its way to human resources or management, he would have gotten fired as well.

I still have not heard if the trainer had an issue with what they did. Also, if this is bullying, then I've been bullied my entire childhood & adult life. Was bullied today.

I have no issue with them firing O'Neill. My issue is the people who did it are still employed.

If Ross wants to show Miami is serious, stop firing trainers & fire someone important and some one who is actually guilty of being a bully. Pouncey.

What about Turner? Still employed, yet the trainer is fired.

However, this firing screams scapegoat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:53 pm 

Dphins4me wrote:
I still have not heard if the trainer had an issue with what they did. Also, if this is bullying, then I've been bullied my entire childhood & adult life. Was bullied today.

The head trainer witnessed one of his direct reports discriminated against because of his race/nationality and did not do something about it.

In any company, this is grounds for immediate termination.

Did someone today use your race or nationality as a grounds to completely degrade you?

If so, yes you were bullied.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:32 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Kevin O'Neill gave a talk to fellow trainer's today in Indy. On what? How to handle the internal issues the Dolphins faced this year.

https://twitter.com/davehydesports

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:17 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
The head trainer witnessed one of his direct reports discriminated against because of his race/nationality and did not do something about it.

I want to know did the trainer have an issue with it?

Rich wrote:
Did someone today use your race or nationality as a grounds to completely degrade you?

First off. Only you allow yourself to be degraded. If you are not ashamed of who you are, then no one can make you feel bad about yourself. I could handle Jerry, Incog & Pouncey like they are nothing. Because I'm secure in myself.

Second. Americans need to put their big boy pants on and have their testicles dropped & stop being such whining arse crybabies.. Yes, people make fun, make jokes all day long at me & others. The difference we know its just in fun & no one means any disrespect. Its simple ball busting and making a work day go by with some humor.

Why is it just race or nationality in ordered to be bullied? My personal habits are made fun of just about everyday. People joke about them all the time. The difference is I'm not some female dog with fragile feelings who get his them hurt because someone makes a joke at my expense. I laugh with them, because I know its simply male bonding & no malice is intended.

Basically what you want to say is any joke about another person is bullying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:

I agree with you Rich and IMO Ross has rooted through that Wells report along with others and he has to do what he feels is best and personally I have no problem with that and just because a guy like O'Neill wins an award, doesn't mean he is immune to the unethical behavior he did behind the scenes to participate in this fiasco. I say that because I saw some comments out there that was like, great now they fired the best trainer etc. etc.

I said it in another post, but I will not lose sleep over this, I just want to see what they do with key draft picks, free agents and how Lazor develops Tannehill.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:41 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Finhead34 wrote:
s and he has to do what he feels is best and personally I have no problem with that and just because a guy like O'Neill wins an award, doesn't mean he is immune to the unethical behavior he did behind the scenes to participate in this fiasco. I say that because I saw some comments out there that was like, great now they fired the best trainer etc. etc.

I said it in another post, but I will not lose sleep over this, I just want to see what they do with key draft picks, free agents and how Lazor develops Tannehill.

We will see how serious Ross is, if Pouncey remains on this team. Firing the trainer, but not all of the men who perpetrated the bullying is simple window dressing.

Fire them all or do not fire anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

bobby0112 wrote:
Let him fly to Indy and then fire him????? Who is in charge of the day to day operations of this circus? Is this Ross, Philbin or Hickey?

LOL. Well, O'Neill can thank us as we gave him a first class ticket to look for another job. Why weren't we as nice to Turner?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:28 am 

Dphins4me wrote:
I want to know did the trainer have an issue with it?

It doesn't matter. There are workplace policies in place that were violated. As a boss, he should have addressed it.

Quote:
I could handle Jerry, Incog & Pouncey like they are nothing. Because I'm secure in myself.

Good for you! The world doesn't revolve around you. It isn't full of Scot clones.

If you are fine with being treated that way or you can handle it, more power to you. Not everyone is you.

What a self-centered way of looking at things...

Quote:
Yes, people make fun, make jokes all day long at me & others. The difference we know its just in fun & no one means any disrespect. Its simple ball busting and making a work day go by with some humor.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions. Just because the person administering the humor is doing it in good fun does not mean the person receiving it has to accept it.

Quote:
I laugh with them, because I know its simply male bonding & no malice is intended.

Again, this is not Planet Scot.

Quote:
Basically what you want to say is any joke about another person is bullying.

If the person is not comfortable with it, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:06 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Second. Americans need to put their big boy pants on and have their testicles dropped & stop being such whining arse crybabies

No doubt. Martin played along and he got pissed for whatever reason and went to the media like a bi*ch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:24 am 

Makchell wrote:
Second. Americans need to put their big boy pants on and have their testicles dropped & stop being such whining arse crybabies

No doubt. Martin played along and he got pissed for whatever reason and went to the media like a bi*ch.

Martin didn't go the media. Martin checked himself into a facility because he couldn't hack it anymore.

His representation went to the media to turn this into an effort to protect his signing bonus.

The truth is that a guy like Martin wasn't prepared for the NFL lockeroom and it got to him.

Not everyone is made for this. Not everyone is an alpha male.

Martin should probably go work in law or whatever he was studying at Stanford unless he can demonstrate he can handle the rigors of the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
It doesn't matter. There are workplace policies in place that were violated. As a boss, he should have addressed it..
Apparently he did.

Rich wrote:
Good for you! The world doesn't revolve around you. It isn't full of Scot clones.

If you are fine with being treated that way or you can handle it, more power to you. Not everyone is you.

What a self-centered way of looking at things..
Being able to deal with adversity is something we all need to know how to do.

Rich wrote:
The path to hell is paved with good intentions. Just because the person administering the humor is doing it in good fun does not mean the person receiving it has to accept it.
Agree, but the person receiving has the responsibility to say " Hey dude, not cool & I want it to stop" Not join in & then run to mommy.

Rich wrote:
Again, this is not Planet Scot.
No one knows how someone will take anything they say in the proper way it was meant.

Rich wrote:
If the person is not comfortable with it, yes.
Person needs to be told that you do not like how they are treating you. If it does not stop, then & only then is it bullying.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:09 am 

Dphins4me wrote:
Apparently he did.

It is not apparent. It is one side of the story versus the other. As we've seen recently, once people get let go, the other side of the story conveniently starts leaking.

Who knows what to believe...

Quote:
Being able to deal with adversity is something we all need to know how to do.

There are a lot of things we need to know how to do or should be doing. Be honest, do no harm to others, be respectful of others, be an adult, etc.

Not everyone does it. Not everyone is the same.

Quote:
Agree, but the person receiving has the responsibility to say " Hey dude, not cool & I want it to stop" Not join in & then run to mommy.

Quote:
Person needs to be told that you do not like how they are treating you. If it does not stop, then & only then is it bullying.

Where is the responsibility for other person, the one that was told by his teammate in May 2013 that he wanted to take his own life? If he was such a good friend, wouldn't this be a huge, big red flag to him that maybe doing the "ole buddy" routine is not something you want to do with this guy?

This is the same guy that was texting Jake Long that one day Garner is going to flip and come shoot up the place. He didn't seem to care.

Life is a two way street.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:59 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

In any company, this is grounds for immediate termination..

BTW, this is just how my boss who is a very much by the book type handled some good nature banter between a black co-worker & a white one. He over heard the black guy say " You only say that because I'm black"

He spoke to the black guy later & ask him if there was a need to address it. He was told. No, that is just us having some fun with each other.

If O'Neil did address this with the trainer & the reply was I'll take care of it & did not address it with O'Neil again then it was handled properly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:05 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

This looks like its going to get interesting & more embarrassing for Miami.

Quote:

The Ted Wells report on the bullying in the Dolphins’ locker room said that the team’s head trainer, Kevin O’Neill, “expressed hostility toward our investigation.” That hostility may be why O’Neill was fired this week.

Dave Hyde of the Sun Sentinel, in a column that relies on anonymous sources who clearly want to get O’Neill’s side of the story to the public, reports that pressure from the league office led to the Dolphins firing O’Neill.

“There was a lot of pressure to fire Kevin,” a source said, adding that the pressure came from the league and was the result of O’Neill refusing to play ball with the investigators.

The Sun-Sentinel also reports that O’Neill denies the most serious allegation made against him in the Wells report, that he laughed along with the racial insults that Richie Incognito hurled at one of O’Neill’s assistant trainers. In fact, according to an anonymous source who talked to Hyde, O’Neill immediately went to that assistant trainer and asked him how he wanted to handle it. That trainer said he would handle the issue directly with Incognito, and that after the trainer confronted Incognito, Incognito apologized.

O’Neill may now be planning to sue the Dolphins for wrongful termination. According to the Sun-Sentinel, when Dolphins Executive Vice President of Football Administration Dawn Aponte informed O’Neill that he was fired and asked him if he had any questions, O’Neill’s response was, “Talk to my lawyer.”

Those aren’t the words of a man who’s planning to accept his firing. O’Neill may not have told his side of the story to Wells, but he could be fixing to tell his side of the story in a lawsuit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
BTW, this is just how my boss who is a very much by the book type handled some good nature banter between a black co-worker & a white one. He over heard the black guy say " You only say that because I'm black"

He spoke to the black guy later & ask him if there was a need to address it. He was told. No, that is just us having some fun with each other.

If O'Neil did address this with the trainer & the reply was I'll take care of it & did not address it with O'Neil again then it was handled properly.

Not to mention the stuff being said in the locker room wasn't 1940's inspired vitriol from the South. Could it be deemed improper and tactless? Certainly. But the gestures were of the teasing nature which is what all the torch carrying booger eaters can't seem to make the distinction of. They persisted because one person (Martin) didn't have the capacity to tell them to stop. Notice in O'Neil's comments the asian employee told Richie to STFU and he apologized for crossing the line.

Nobody is innocent in this mess, but it simply should've been handled in-house and stayed in-house.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
torch carrying booger eaters

Baaahaaahaaahaaa!!! Where in the world did you pick this line Rock???!!! (no pun intended, but hysterical!!!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:41 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:
torch carrying booger eaters

Baaahaaahaaahaaa!!! Where in the world did you pick this line Rock???!!! (no pun intended, but hysterical!!!)

I can't remember which radio show (either Cowherd or Rome) and they were talking about wrestling fans, but referred to them as booger eaters. I laughed my butt off when I heard it.

The moniker is so indicative of some of the over-reaction and mindlessness I see out there in social media.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That is FUNNY stuff Rock! I once heard the word "Goat Rodeo" and I died laughing and still use that term when something is all over the place and unorganized, but Torch carrying booger eaters just surpassed that one!!!

I am still laughing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
That is FUNNY stuff Rock! I once heard the word "Goat Rodeo" and I died laughing and still use that term when something is all over the place and unorganized, but Torch carrying booger eaters just surpassed that one!!!

I am still laughing.

The term also reminds of South Park episodes mocking angry crowds .....

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:49 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Why was he hostile to Wells?
Why didn't this story get told to Wells?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:30 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Soldinger said Jimmy Johnson’s biggest “eyes and ears” at UM (and presumably with the Cowboys and Dolphins) was trainer Kevin O’Neill, who was fired by the Dolphins on Wednesday, prompting this reaction from J.J. on Twitter: “Unbelievable! The BEST I ever worked with.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:33 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Not only that, but he refused to cooperate with investigators. Most companies also have that listed as grounds for immediate termination.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1984phins wrote:
Why was he hostile to Wells?
Why didn't this story get told to Wells?

Wells never described "how" O'Neil was being hostile in the first place. Like what exactly was he doing outside of not answering his questions based on keeping it in-house? Did he spit at Wells? Did he pound his fists on the table?

Perhaps Wells confuses hostility with annoyance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:53 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Well, too bad.
Next time cooperate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If you read Dave Hyde's article in its entirety it clears tells why o'neil wasn't cooperative, O'Neill felt bound by the Federal Health Insurance and Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) law that prevents the release of private medical information to independent parties. It sounds like he was just trying to cover his legal butt... He was told by a lawyer (Apponte) that he didn't need an lawyer present when he clearly did

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79386241/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:25 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Yeah, I don't see how that applies. He is not giving medical info, he is basically giving testimony.
If he had said, "No. I saw nothing."
Whether true or not, no one is coming after him to sue for violating HIPPA.

(Couldn't read the article without signing up)

Sounds like he is looking for an excuse after the fact.

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]