Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:24 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Dave Hyde Sun Sentinel Columnist

6:00 p.m. EST, February 20, 2014

When Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey and John Jerry threw racial taunts at the team's assistant trainer last season, head trainer Kevin O'Neill did not stand idly by, as NFL investigator Ted Wells released in his report on the Miami Dolphins' locker room culture last Friday.

Nor, according to a source, did O'Neill, "allegedly [laugh] at some of the racial insults," as the report said, a claim even Wells seemed unsure of as the murky word, "allegedly" suggests.

O'Neill, the source says, did not hear any taunts. But when word of them reached him, O'Neill pulled Japanese-born assistant trainer, Naohisa Inoue, into his office, closed the door and talked directly to him.

"How do you want to handle this?" O'Neill asked Inoue. "Do you want to handle this yourself? Or do you want me to intervene?"

Inoue said he would take care of it. The next time Incognito started in on a racial taunt, Inoue told him to shut up using two expletives.

Incognito immediately apologized to Inoue, the source says. Incognito explained to the assistant trainer he didn't understand he had crossed the line between a locker-room joke and a racial taunt.

This wasn't in the Wells Report. ...

"There was a lot of pressure to fire Kevin," a second source said.

Pressure from the league?

"Yep," the source said.

That's because O'Neill didn't play ball with Wells. O'Neill seemed to have problems with the investigation that cut directly to his job. He doesn't simply treat players' injuries. He has a team of psychologists, psychiatrists and drug counselors to help players, including Martin.

O'Neill felt bound by the Federal Health Insurance and Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) law that prevents the release of private medical information to independent parties, his former boss at the University of Miami, Dallas Cowboys and Dolphins, Jimmy Johnson tweeted.

O'Neill wasn't alone in struggling with the Wells investigation. Inoue, for instance, "implied that he could not be candid with us because he was concerned about losing the trust of the players, which he felt would compromise his ability to perform his job," the report said. ...

Before meeting with Wells, the source said, O'Neill had asked Aponte if he needed a lawyer. Aponte, a lawyer, said he didn't. When he was fired on Wednesday, O'Neill was silent. Aponte asked if he had any questions.

"Talk to my lawyer," he said.

This story isn't over. Nor, it seems, is the ugliness.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:32 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Interesting, if only we could figure out what the actual truth is...

However, if this version has more truth to it, I hope this one bites Ross in the butt...

Maybe I am biased as this is a guy in my profession whom I have looked up to and respected for over a decade, but I would have hoped there was some unanimous information out there before something like this was done.

We shall see

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Can this story get any worse?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

jammer wrote:
Can this story get any worse?

LOL , this has got to be one of the most embarrassing end of season /off seasons ever. There are some trying to positive spin this but its far worse than any bad reality TV series.
When you are owned by PT Barnum , expect the clowns to be brought in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

So basically he was the scapegoat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It's funny how Ross took forever to respond to the Wells report with the word that he was carefully moving forward ... and then he fires O'Neill without even getting his side of the story.

Not only is Philben in over his head, but so is Ross.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:37 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
It's funny how Ross took forever to respond to the Wells report with the word that he was carefully moving forward ... and then he fires O'Neill without even getting his side of the story.

Not only is Philben in over his head, but so is Ross.

I am afraid the Miami Dolphins will be a circus as long as Ross is the owner.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Who was arguing a couple of weeks ago that this team is not a laughingstock?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:56 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:

Better hope the players come out with an "us against the world" mentality. Must suck going to work every day knowing no one believes in you and no one likes the people you work for.

I know not everyone here thinks there is player leadership but it has to happen for the team to have any shot in 2014. The only hope on the coaching side is Lazor, and half of that hope is due to the fact that he is new.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:43 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Better hope the players come out with an "us against the world" mentality. Must suck going to work every day knowing no one believes in you and no one likes the people you work for.

I know not everyone here thinks there is player leadership but it has to happen for the team to have any shot in 2014. The only hope on the coaching side is Lazor, and half of that hope is due to the fact that he is new.

Being successful while installing 4 or 5 new offensive lineman and a new offensive coordinator is a tall order. I am afraid it is more likely the Dolphins implode than make it back to 8-8 in 2014. I'll cling to hope but have realistic expectations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:34 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

bobby0112 wrote:

Being successful while installing 4 or 5 new offensive lineman and a new offensive coordinator is a tall order. I am afraid it is more likely the Dolphins implode than make it back to 8-8 in 2014. I'll cling to hope but have realistic expectations.

One thing about the OL is teams do not need All-Pros on the line. All they need is 5 solid men who can work as a unit. OL has to work together. A team could have 5 All-Pros on a line, but if they are not working as a unit, then the lines play will not be that good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
One thing about the OL is teams do not need All-Pros on the line. All they need is 5 solid men who can work as a unit. OL has to work together. A team could have 5 All-Pros on a line, but if they are not working as a unit, then the lines play will not be that good.

I agree and drafting smart in the middle rounds for those lineman that can fit in right away and be productive will be the key along with 1-2 younger veteran free agents.

Personally, I think Miami can do this and get a power running back and who knows this team could be right back in the mix, but protecting Tannehill is a huge must.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:47 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

The good news guys is that the line cant be any worse. We could start 5 rookies and it would be an improvement over the worst line in the NFL.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]