Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kevin O'Neil speaks ....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:54 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Nor, according to a source, did O'Neill, "allegedly [laugh] at some of the racial insults," as the report said, a claim even Wells seemed unsure of as the murky word, "allegedly" suggests.

O'Neill, the source says, did not hear any taunts. But when word of them reached him, O'Neill pulled Japanese-born assistant trainer, Naohisa Inoue, into his office, closed the door and talked directly to him.

"How do you want to handle this?" O'Neill asked Inoue. "Do you want to handle this yourself? Or do you want me to intervene?"

Inoue said he would take care of it. The next time Incognito started in on a racial taunt, Inoue told him to shut up using two expletives.

Incognito immediately apologized to Inoue, the source says. Incognito explained to the assistant trainer he didn't understand he had crossed the line between a locker-room joke and a racial taunt.

But ask yourself this: Don't you wish all the Dolphins ugliness was handled this way? Wouldn't it have prevented the franchise — and Incognito — from dripping with embarrassment today?

For the rest of the article: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 297.column

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:57 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
On Friday, O'Neill was set to be honored in Indianapolis as the NFL's Trainer of the Year, too, as voted by team trainers and medical staff. Instead, he was pulled out of a meeting with these trainers (he gave a talk on this exact Dolphins' mess to help his peers).

He was summoned before coach Joe Philbin, Executive Vice President of Football Administration Dawn Aponte and General Manager Dennis Hickey and fired. No discussion. No explanation.

And the curious timing?

Dolphins owner Steve Ross waited until after O'Neill flew to Indianapolis for the combine. Turner didn't go to Indianapolis, the idea being the team knew he was fired.

Pathetic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:14 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I've never experienced what it's like to have a genuine dislike for so many parts of my own team. Thanks Ross.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:28 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

rodneyfaile wrote:
I've never experienced what it's like to have a genuine dislike for so many parts of my own team. Thanks Ross.

I'm with you on that. Words just cannot explain how I feel about the team that I love.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:18 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I'm with you on that. Words just cannot explain how I feel about the team that I love.

right.. i find myself wishing i was band wagon guy right now, so i could just jump to another team... lol I tried and failed... just can't do it..

losing my love for the game .... and that bites IMO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

If you believe in karma, do not watch the 2014 Miami Dolphins.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:49 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

That is hard. I've tried it a few tmes. I've only been successful one season. I would just say cancel direct ticket, watch the replays on the net if you need a fix.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:50 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:

I'm pretty close to that point right now. Seriously thinking about cheering for an underdog team in the NFC or perhaps someone who gives a rookie QB a chance this year. Not surrendering my hope for the Dolphins but this isn't even comical anymore. It is maddening.

I like the players and I want them to succeed. I hope Lazor gets Tannehill to take the next step.

But I just can't support Ross, Philbin and Aponte if they keep making the same mistakes with the same attitude. It would be one thing if they learned to handle things better, but we're just seeing history repeat itself (scapegoats) and incompetent people in positions of power ruining the team.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

I'm pretty close to that point right now. Seriously thinking about cheering for an underdog team in the NFC or perhaps someone who gives a rookie QB a chance this year. Not surrendering my hope for the Dolphins but this isn't even comical anymore. It is maddening.

I like the players and I want them to succeed. I hope Lazor gets Tannehill to take the next step.

But I just can't support Ross, Philbin and Aponte if they keep making the same mistakes with the same attitude. It would be one thing if they learned to handle things better, but we're just seeing history repeat itself (scapegoats) and incompetent people in positions of power ruining the team.

I will always support the Dolphins. With that being said, I am about as disgusted with this present regime as I can get. Joe Philbin got ROASTED yesterday by the media, and rightfully so.

The management for the Dolphins is just HORRENDOUS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:

I'm a Phins fan (of course...duh!) but i'm also a NY Knicks fan and I find myself rooting for my team to lose but not just lose i want us to look pathetic just to rub it in the face of Dolan (owner) because of how incompitent he has been.
I believe I will be doing that again this season but I don't think I will have to root against the Phins because they might take care of that all by themselves. I have ZERO expectations in 2014!!!

3-13 here we come!!! :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:53 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

We'd be lucky to win 3 games.

I'm ashamed to even say I support this team right now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Is anyone interested on going in with me on season tickets?

Oh and no sarcasm either I am serious. I am being strategic to grab some good lower seats behind the Dolphins bench!

PM me if you are serious. I figured if a few of us go in we can grab 2-3 games a piece each.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:39 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mid-season last year I gave up. It was great. As soon as I stopped watching they starting winning and sucked me back in. I really don't care anymore....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:11 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

rodneyfaile wrote:

I like most of the players, but Ross is a joke as a NFL Owner. Forbes valued the Phins at $1.074 B in August. I believe Ross paid $1.1 B for a 95% stake........so at least according to Forbes the franchise, facility and surrounding property have lost value since Ross took over.

I'd really like to see another Owner. Maybe one of the WhatsApp founders is a Phins Fan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It really is sad how they tossed him aside and fired him in a foreign city after the guy worked for them 18 straight years. I'm not going to have "the sky is falling mentality" like some of you (I mean darn, 3-13.....please people) but it's sad how they handled this with him. To touch on some of these 3-4 win season predictions...if you're actually serious about that, I'd be glad to take your money.

:grin:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:57 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

the Falcons and texans were much better teams than Miami and they both surprisingly went down the tubes in one season. We could easily drop down to 4 wins with poor leadership and poor team morale.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:04 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
We could easily drop down to 4 wins with poor leadership and poor team morale.

You could also say how this whole story can motivate the team to a 9 + win season and a playoff slot. I'm not saying either will happen, but I could almost guarantee you will see us win more than 3 or 4 games on the season. There is way too much talent on this roster for that to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:07 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

You can guarantee that? You have much more confidence in this franchise than most do right now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:14 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
You can guarantee that? You have much more confidence in this franchise than most do right now.

I said almost guarantee. People predict 3-4 win seasons every off season, when was the last time we actually won 3 or 4 games? IMO it's fans just being overly pessimistic as a superstition that the team will prove them wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:19 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I usually laugh when I see media predict us to go 3-13 but right now we have the look of that kind of team. (kind of a lameduck coach). Teams records fluctuate quickly from year to year in the NFL. Like I said, much more talented teams than us have gone 3-13 out of the blue.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm not too sure if anyone realizes this, but the odds of us going from 8-8 to 3-13 because we fired our athletic trainer is a pretty silly claim. This team just hired a very bright young offensive mind to help take our budding quarterback to the next level (and fired a dinosaur of an offensive coordinator) and bring some explosiveness to the offense as a whole. We also hired an offensive line coach with a better background in coaching up the type of offensive line our head coach envisions for the team. We're going to gut our terrible offensive line and very likely will bring in players who are upgrades at nearly every position except center. Heck, we might even luck out and land ourselves an upgrade at runningback too. Without any luck at all this team should improve again in 2014, with or without O'Neil. We've got $36M in cap space. We're going to be buyers again this year. I think our arrow is still pointing up. If anything I feel this team will be more focused and concentrated on winning in 2014, not on playing locker room pranks and harassing each other.

End of the day, Ross owns the team. If he wants to fire the athletic trainer, it's his choice. His reasons for doing so are not purely speculative (like our assumptions), his are based on information he is privy to that none of us will ever hear or see regarding this matter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
If anything I feel this team will be more focused and concentrated on winning in 2014, not on playing locker room pranks and harassing each other.

I completely agree, this all should kick their asses into gear. I'm the type of person who if you talk smack about what I do (at work, on the field etc.) I'll work 10x as hard and motivated to shut those people up. Not many people make it to the NFL without a competitive mindset like that, and I believe they'll carry all of that into 2014.

The only downside to this season in regards to difficulty is the schedule. It gets pretty brutal, we decided to lose to all the bad teams and beat the good in 2013. We face a very competitive AFC West, I personally can't wait to see how we match up against Denver. I'm obviously not expecting a win, but you can't say you're not curious in seeing what the outcome will be. That will be a true measure to see where our squad measures up outside of the two New England games.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

Actually that's what I'm hoping for. Then you'll see Jim Harbaugh as coach and Famous Jameis as QB in 2015

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:08 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

shularino wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I like most of the players, but Ross is a joke as a NFL Owner. Forbes valued the Phins at $1.074 B in August. I believe Ross paid $1.1 B for a 95% stake........so at least according to Forbes the franchise, facility and surrounding property have lost value since Ross took over.

I'd really like to see another Owner. Maybe one of the WhatsApp founders is a Phins Fan.

Well they can afford it now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:41 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I'm with both of you. Never has the Dolphins made me feel hopeless and scared for them and the fans.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I completely agree, this all should kick their asses into gear. I'm the type of person who if you talk smack about what I do (at work, on the field etc.) I'll work 10x as hard and motivated to shut those people up. Not many people make it to the NFL without a competitive mindset like that, and I believe they'll carry all of that into 2014.

No offense, but how does the way you personally handle such things matter to how the Dolphins will? Are they a direct reflection of your psyche?

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:48 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

One of the main jobs of a coaching staff is to motivate players. This team didn't look very motivated in the last two games, and I doubt they will be able to motivate anyone after all of the lousy decisions made since then.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:25 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

rodneyfaile wrote:
One of the main jobs of a coaching staff is to motivate players. This team didn't look very motivated in the last two games, and I doubt they will be able to motivate anyone after all of the lousy decisions made since then.

exactly, eventually a bad coach just becomes white noise when he speaks to his team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:49 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

dolphindebby wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I'm with both of you. Never has the Dolphins made me feel hopeless and scared for them and the fans.

Hoping that Lazor turns out to be an amazing OC is all that's keeping me sane right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:27 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Rich wrote:

Actually that's what I'm hoping for. Then you'll see Jim Harbaugh as coach and Famous Jameis as QB in 2015

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Winning will cure all the fans doubts in this forum. IMO, no matter what you say, no matter how crappy O'Neill might have been treated in the matter, if the Miami Dolphins turn into a playoff team, all of this goes out the window.

This is still a talented a team and they have as good a chance as anyone in the AFC East to take a positive step forward.

We shall see how this all turns out. If healthy, I still see 10 wins as a reality.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:14 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Big Dave wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

If I were a younger man I would have probably jumped ship by now. However I fell in love with the first rate organization of Robbie and Shula. OH HOW I MISS THE OLD DAYS!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:52 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

MiamiSteve wrote:

If I were a younger man I would have probably jumped ship by now. However I fell in love with the first rate organization of Robbie and Shula. OH HOW I MISS THE OLD DAYS!

I have the hometown Panthers nearby, but I still hold onto my Fins. I know a lot of people who have moved on from the Redskins to the Panthers, and they were huge Redskins fans in this state.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:48 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I've been a Dolphins fan my whole life, going back to the Griese days. Raised in PA and living most of my adult life in MD, I've never had the company of many other Phins fans to comfort me. If I was going to jump ship, I would have done so at some point in the past decade or so, mired as we have been in mediocrity. Alas, I am loyal to a fault.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

rodneyfaile wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hearing about that put me in a CRABBY mood so I went to happy hour at Joe's CRAB Shack to get drunk

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]