All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

12. Philip Wheeler, Miami Dolphins, linebacker: Wheeler was one of the key purchases in former general manager Jeff Ireland's shopping spree of mediocrity last offseason, but he predictably failed to live up to his salary which is scheduled to be $5 million in 2014.

This is from Chris Wesseling of the NFL Network.

The question is, and I know Rich does a good job of knowing the numbers, what would the salary cap hit be for Miami.

Obviously Wheeler was a HUGE disappointment last year. But we also seem to have an idea that players that leave Miami recently perform better. That said, Wheeler was bad last year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:25 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Not sure if that will happen. Releasing Wheeler will cost the Dolphins a $4.2 million penalty. In the meantime, the Raiders are hoping for it to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If you cut him after June 1st, his cap number would be the same exact thing for 2014 as if he was playing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:03 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I could see a mid-season trade getting done if the Dolphins find someone already on the roster or in the draft to replace him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'd hate to see yet another player perform well somewhere else. Perhaps a different DC could get more out of this underachieving defense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:47 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

rodneyfaile wrote:
I'd hate to see yet another player perform well somewhere else. Perhaps a different DC could get more out of this underachieving defense.

Well, he worked out for us a couple years ago and we didn't want him. So, he goes over to Oakland and has such an outstanding season that we gave him a big contract. He flat out sucked for us. I liked his speed but I didn't see the instincts that a linebacker needs. It could just be because of our complicated zone defense that he couldn't get. Maybe he'll look better in his second year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

From ESPN Insider Rumors ...

Quote:
Raiders still like Wheeler?
February, 21, 2014

Last year, the Miami Dolphins inked WLB Philip Wheeler to a five-year, $26 million contract. Since then, though, he had a terribly bad 2013 campaign (graded out as the worst 4-3 OLB by Pro Football Focus) and the Fins replaced GM Jeff Ireland with Dennis Hickey. After such a poor performance, and with a new sheriff in town, there have been rumors that the club may cut Wheeler.

However, Wheeler's $5 million base salary is guaranteed for 2014, so releasing him won't come without a salary-cap hit. If they release him prior to June 1, it would cost the Fins more than $10 million against their cap. If they make him a post-June 1 cut, it still would cost them $6.4 million.

If the Dolphins do decide to move on from Wheeler this offseason, the Oakland Raiders "would be very interested in bringing him back," according to Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Wheeler graded out as the No. 6 4-3 OLB by Pro Football Talk in '12, his lone season with the Raiders, so they may be higher on his potential upside than the Dolphins. Still, a $6.4 million cap hit may force the Dolphins to give him one more roll to see if they can draw more out of him in '14.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rum ... t?id=18304

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:13 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Phins Rock wrote:
If you cut him after June 1st, his cap number would be the same exact thing for 2014 as if he was playing.

With the added cap space, better to cut him now and have the extra cap space later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:48 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

With the added cap space, better to cut him now and have the extra cap space later.

You wouldn't have any extra space in 2015. If I'm not mistaken, the June 1st cut would basically be the equivalent to cutting him in March of 2015, in terms of the cap impact in 2015.

I'd keep him around for training camp and see how he performs. But like Patterson, he has to earn that salary with a good Pre Season and camp.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:43 am 

Phins Rock wrote:
You wouldn't have any extra space in 2015. If I'm not mistaken, the June 1st cut would basically be the equivalent to cutting him in March of 2015, in terms of the cap impact in 2015.

Yes you would. If you cut him now, he comes completely off the books in 2015. If you wait til June 1st, there is still a cap hit in 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:47 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yes you would. If you cut him now, he comes completely off the books in 2015. If you wait til June 1st, there is still a cap hit in 2015.

I thought you meant cutting him post June 1st would alleviate 2015 cap room.

You're right, although Miami could elect to split the dead hit like they did with Dansby. An 11 million dead cap hit is a lot to take in one lump.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:02 pm 

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I thought you meant cutting him post June 1st would alleviate 2015 cap room.

You're right, although Miami could elect to split the dead hit like they did with Dansby. An 11 million dead cap hit is a lot to take in one lump.

You're already paying him for $7 mil of that. You open up $4 mil of cap space next year. With the cap room they have now they can afford to take the hit now and presumably have another $4 mil next year to extend your 'hopefully' franchise QB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
You're already paying him for $7 mil of that. You open up $4 mil of cap space next year. With the cap room they have now they can afford to take the hit now and presumably have another $4 mil next year to extend your 'hopefully' franchise QB.

Not necessarily, because the cap rolls over. Miami owes Wheeler about 10.6 million right now.

They cut him and they take that 10.6 hit like we established. About 6.5 million of that is due in 2014. So, you would alleviate about 4 million from 2015 cap.

That said, if you kept him past June 1st, you would take that 6.5 million hit now, and 4 million in 2015. But, you would have that 4 million to rollover into next year, since you didn't spend it this year.

So it doesn't really make a difference. Either way, you'll have the same amount of room. Unless you don't give yourself any room to rollover, obviously. But like we've discussed before, I don't see that being the case.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]