View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 Jim Harbaugh 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Jim Harbaugh
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -harbaugh/

I thought trading for a head coach was banned by the league a few years back after the Gruden to Tampa and Herm to KC deals, but who knows?? Maybe the league has quietly opened that back up and kept it under wraps. According to this story SF almost traded Harbaugh to the Browns for a bunch of picks and Harbaugh was on board with it for a bit but then decided against it. Didn't end up happening. Then again, who wants to live in Cleveland if your name is not Ray Farmer??

A bigger story to watch going forward is that Harbaugh is unhappy in SF and doesn't get along with the people above him (he flirted with the Texas Longhorns job and now this.) If the Dolphins have another season like the past five, Ross will probably clean house. We know how bad Ross wanted Harbaugh a couple years back. Both men are Michigan guys. I'll bet Ross will give him a blank check to hire anyone he wants and do whatever he wants. He might be able to trade for him and hand him the keys to the kingdom. Ross gets his guy, Harbaugh gets all the power and a ton of money. Wouldn't shock me to see this down the road.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:37 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Jim Harbaugh
The funny thing is that when he played quarterback he seemed very composed and even-keeled. Now, he's an emotional train wreck.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
The funny thing is that when he played quarterback he seemed very composed and even-keeled. Now, he's an emotional train wreck.

"Captain Comeback" has always been high strung.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:55 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I would make this deal in a heartbeat!!! Let's go 3-13 in 2014!!!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Let's try not to get too caught up in Harbough, the same way we did with Manning. It's realistic he won't be in SF after this year, but he'll be in more demand than any coach since JJ.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:14 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

shularino wrote:
Let's try not to get too caught up in Harbough, the same way we did with Manning. It's realistic he won't be in SF after this year, but he'll be in more demand than any coach since JJ.

You're right but Ross has the $$$ and would be willing to give a fellow Michigan man all the power he wants!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MdDolfan wrote:
shularino wrote:

You're right but Ross has the $$$ and would be willing to give a fellow Michigan man all the power he wants!

The problem is Ross is still here pulling the strings. I am quickly coming to the realization that Miami is going to be inept and an embarrassment as long as Ross is the owner.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

bobby0112 wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
shularino wrote:

The problem is Ross is still here pulling the strings. I am quickly coming to the realization that Miami is going to be inept and an embarrassment as long as Ross is the owner.

I am hoping Ross will realize what he is doing is not working, and that he needs to give full control over to someone like Harbaugh. It worked for the Seahawks.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:43 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

MdDolfan wrote:
I would make this deal in a heartbeat!!! Let's go 3-13 in 2014!!!

I have the sad feeling you won't be far off.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com follows up on Florio’s report by adding some insight into the hangups in the contract extension talks in San Francisco. Per Maiocco, the 49ers are not prepared to pay Harbaugh “like a Super Bowl-winning coach” because he hasn’t won the Super Bowl. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to three straight NFC Championship games, but lost to the Ravens in his only Super Bowl trip.

The 49ers are reportedly offering a short-term deal with lower guarantees than the league’s top echelon of coaches with incentives that would bump Harbaugh up into that tier if he wins a Super Bowl. The team also reportedly gave Harbaugh the right to seek endorsement deals with team sponsors to bump his income closer to desired levels with Harbaugh ultimately taking in an extra $1 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... to-browns/

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:59 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IMO it would be foolish for the 49er organization to allow Harbaugh to leave. In this day and age of money for the NFL, just pay the guy as it is hard enough to find winning coaches, let alone one that has led your team to NFC Championship games & the Superbowl in his first years coaching in the NFL.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:25 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This reminds me of another head coach who was unhappy with upper managment.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3M6PD- ... e&q&f=true

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:36 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Quote:
Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com follows up on Florio’s report by adding some insight into the hangups in the contract extension talks in San Francisco. Per Maiocco, the 49ers are not prepared to pay Harbaugh “like a Super Bowl-winning coach” because he hasn’t won the Super Bowl. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to three straight NFC Championship games, but lost to the Ravens in his only Super Bowl trip.

The 49ers are reportedly offering a short-term deal with lower guarantees than the league’s top echelon of coaches with incentives that would bump Harbaugh up into that tier if he wins a Super Bowl. The team also reportedly gave Harbaugh the right to seek endorsement deals with team sponsors to bump his income closer to desired levels with Harbaugh ultimately taking in an extra $1 million.

Going to show my age, but this reminds me when the Houston Oilers fired Bum Phillips because he lost twice in the AFC game & then in the WC game three yrs in a row. They replaced him with Ed Biles who then took that team that had went 10-6, 11-5,11-5 to 8-23 over the next 2 1/2 yrs. Houston did not make the players for 6 yrs after firing Bum.

Sometimes people do not know when they have a good thing.

One thing. If Harbaugh does come to Miami. Look at the cash he keeps just simply based on state income taxes.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:31 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Going to show my age, but this reminds me when the Houston Oilers fired Bum Phillips because he lost twice in the AFC game & then in the WC game three yrs in a row. They replaced him with Ed Biles who then took that team that had went 10-6, 11-5,11-5 to 8-23 over the next 2 1/2 yrs. Houston did not make the players for 6 yrs after firing Bum.

I remember when that happened. They didn't do anything until Bum Phillips, then they fired him for losing in the playoffs. I thought it was one of the dumbest moves.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Quote:

One thing. If Harbaugh does come to Miami. Look at the cash he keeps just simply based on state income taxes.

And California state income taxes are some of the highest in the nation.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

I remember when that happened. They didn't do anything until Bum Phillips, then they fired him for losing in the playoffs. I thought it was one of the dumbest moves.

Marty Schottenheimer goes 14-2 in San Diego and gets the axe.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
It's entirely unclear what sort of compensation San Francisco was seeking, but pretty clear at this point that the Niners may be headed for a divorce with Harbaugh, probably after next season. It's worth noting Dolphins owner Stephen Ross pursued Harbaugh aggressively when he was leaving Stanford. Current Fins GM Dennis Hickey and coach Joe Philbin are believed to be a lame-duck pairing entering 2014.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Miami would be a perfect situation for Harbaugh. Our owner is willing to overpay, the team is in good salary cap shape because of Aponte, and we have a neutered GM that cannot make significant decisions without his approval or buy in.

But this is a moot point. I truly believe that the Philbin/Hickey duo will be sticking around for at least two years (until their contracts are up). If Tannehill isn't a franchise quarterback and the Dolphins aren't a playoff team by then, then I think Ross will blow the whole thing up and start fresh.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:14 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora passes along "increasing buzz" from the Combine that the 49ers may ultimately have to decide between keeping coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke.
La Canfora reports Harbaugh and Baalke are "barely speaking," with "almost all" of their communication going through email. Harbaugh's relationship with club president Paraag Marathe is also "strained." Harbaugh has two years left on his contract, and is one of the NFL's most underpaid coaches. He's entrenched as the 49ers' coach for 2014, but the franchise may revisit the idea of "trading" him next offseason. La Canfora writes that he's "long expected" Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh. Ross aggressively targeted Harbaugh to replace Tony Sparano as head coach in January of 2011.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:23 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora passes along "increasing buzz" from the Combine that the 49ers may ultimately have to decide between keeping coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke.
La Canfora reports Harbaugh and Baalke are "barely speaking," with "almost all" of their communication going through email. Harbaugh's relationship with club president Paraag Marathe is also "strained." Harbaugh has two years left on his contract, and is one of the NFL's most underpaid coaches. He's entrenched as the 49ers' coach for 2014, but the franchise may revisit the idea of "trading" him next offseason. La Canfora writes that he's "long expected" Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh. Ross aggressively targeted Harbaugh to replace Tony Sparano as head coach in January of 2011.

sorry but Jim is a spoiled little Bit"" we have enough problems... this would just add to them.. I didn't want him when we tried before... and he was happy to toss us under the bus in public when our owner reached out to him.... no .. this guy is cancer.. sooner or later something is gonna piss him off and the 12 year old jim will come out...

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dude can coach.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:57 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
dude can coach.

And he can't stand losing. Hire him and let him run the team. Something tells me that he and Aponte will have issues.

:haha

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I enjoy watching him, it's like comedy with my football on sundays.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:46 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Its gonna be pretty tough for even Ross to fire a coach after he wins the super bowl.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The National Football Post's Jason Cole expects the Dolphins to pursue Jim Harbaugh next offseason, "barring a Super Bowl win by the 49ers."
That should help Joe Philbin sleep at night. According to Cole, the "rumor was already out there," and "only got stronger this weekend." Cole's report runs concurrent to one from CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, who passed along Monday that the "feeling within the organization is that Harbaugh is not going to be a 10-year coach with the 49ers." San Francisco has re-emerged as one of the league's elite franchises, but it's got a serious issue on its hands.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:56 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

https://twitter.com/JasonPhilCole/statu ... 6771358720

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:48 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Or, this could all just be part of the "get Harbaugh more money from the 49ers" plan.

I don't see why Harbaugh would want come anywhere near the Dolphins. I can see why we would be interested in him, but why would he be interested, unless of course we agree to have a REAL house-cleaning.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:23 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It is funny how rumors start. Sort of like when Manning to Miami happened.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:12 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Rock Sexton wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Didn't he once punch out Jim Kelly of the Bills for something Kelly said on a talk show about him.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:31 pm

I'd trade the entire team, Ross, J-lo and the cheerleaders to land Harbaugh in Miami. Seriouly, Miami needs a guy with that kind of intensity.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Didn't he once punch out Jim Kelly of the Bills for something Kelly said on a talk show about him.

Other way around but I don't remember why Kelly punched.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:03 pm

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-746436.html

Nope...I had it right.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:25 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I wanted him when he was available, he's a throwback style of coach and was a very aggressive and emotional player. I also felt Pete Carroll would have been a good fit here and boy did I ever take a beating on the other board.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

He punched out Jim Kelly? I love him already. :)

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:57 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

NFLJunkie wrote:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-746436.html

Nope...I had it right.

Kelly reportedly called Harbaugh a "baby" and said that Harbaugh "overdramatized" his injuries. …

so he was a drama queen back then as well.. lol

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]