View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 
 Who will the Dolphins select at 19 overall? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Who will the Dolphins select at 19 overall?
as of right now after all the postseason games and halfway through the combine, unless we trade up or down I see 4 names that stand out of players projected to go in the latter part of round 1.

1. Zack Martin-G/OT-Notre Dame
this is the name that I hope will be said by the commisioner when it's time for Miami to pick.

Notre Dame senior OL Zack Martin debuted on Mel Kiper's Big Board at No. 17 overall.
"Martin is a great competitor, and absorbs power well for a tackle with shorter arms, but he also handles speed pretty effectively due to his quick feet," Kiper writes. "The arms could make him a likelier bet to land at guard, but the fact that he can play tackle at a pretty high level will get him looks there." The longtime draft legend added he had Martin as a fringe top-32 player prior to Senior Bowl week.
----------------------------------------------------------------
"Most people" project Notre Dame OL Zack Martin as a "Pro Bowl-level guard," according to Reese's Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
NFL Media draft analyst and NBC Notre Dame football broadcaster Mike Mayock says Notre Dame OL Zack Martin can play all five OL positions at the next level.

2. Louis Nix-DT-Notre Dame
not sure if we'll payout for Soliei or Starks so def. tackle could be a big need.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock lists Notre Dame NT Louis Nix atop his defensive tackle rankings.
The rankings come without comment, but we assume Mayock is attracted to Nix's Vince Wilfork-like skill set. Mayock isn't alone in admiration, as Nix remains a Top-10 prospect on Josh Norris' board. Mayock ranks Timmy Jernigan of Florida State as the draft's No. 2 DT, followed by Pittsburgh's Aaron Donald, Minnesota's Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota and Florida's Dominique Easley

3. Aaron Donald-DT-Pittsburgh
another possible replacement for Starks and Soliei. He's a smaller tackle but can flat out play.

Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald "has explosiveness in his hands and the burst to accelerate around or through offensive blockers," said Executive Director of the Senior Bowl Phil Savage.
Donald is coming off an absolutely dominant season (64 tackles, 18.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks) in which he won just about every award he could have (Bednarik, Lombardi, Nagurski and Outland). He also tore through the Senior Bowl, recording a +6.8 rating during the exhibition despite playing only 33 snaps. "Yes, he is undersized by NFL standards, however, he has explosiveness in his hands and the burst to accelerate around or through offensive blockers

4. Morgan Moses-OT-Virginia
an imposing tackle who engulfed defenders at the Senior Bowl. Should move up now that Kouandjio will fall out of round 1. Thought of as a right tackle but now evaluators think he can play on the left side.

" Savage thought Moses acquitted himself well as a left tackle in practices. "I thought he had a very good week," Savage said.

Virginia T Morgan Moses improved his draft stock at the Senior Bowl, wrote Rob Rang of CBS Sports.
This sentiment was echoed by Scout Inc., which rated Moses' pass protection skill as the best of any lineman at the Senior Bowl. "At 6-foot-6, 325 pounds, Moses possesses the frame you'd expect of a dominating run blocker and he showed the ability to clear wide rushing lanes throughout the week

Three other outside possibilities are safety Calvin Pryor, tight end Jace Amaro and guard Xavier Sua'Filo.
Not sure if Miami would pull the trigger on a tight end or a safety this high in the draft with so many glaring holes elsewhere.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:08 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Who will the Dolphins select at 19 overall?
My short list is similar. I have Martin, Moses, Donald, Jace Amaro, Brandon Cooks, Kony Ealy.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:32 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Bypass Randy Moss and trade down for John Avery.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:56 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Rich wrote:
Bypass Randy Moss and trade down for John Avery.

Rich, that was low....lol.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm sure we will pick a player with "potential".

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Free agency and Dennis Hickey make the question nearly impossible to answer.

What if Miami signs 4 OL guys and decides they want to trade up to get Mike Evans or Eric Ebron?

My gut tells me they are going to be very aggressive knowing this is a make or break year. And yes I am quite aware that this is a much better draft to trade down and acquire more picks, but right now Miami has a lot of depth guys.

Sign B. Albert, Z. Beadles, W. Smith and E. Winston (random selection). Sign L. Blount to pair with Miller and Gillislee. Re-sign Grimes and Soliai. The cap just increased and Miami has the option to cut Moore and Patterson for instant money.

Most of your "needs" (not long term answers) are filled and you can be very flexible.

My number 1 hope is that Miami grabs a big target for Tannehill or a stud playmaker on defense. Left tackle is great, but I am just afraid of assigning that responsibility to a rookie in such an important year for the QB and the offense.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Watch us trade up for Clowney and then give him 10% of the snaps on defense...

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald clocked forty times of 4.65 and 4.66 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
His "official" forty time was announced at 4.68. Donald is 6-foot-1, 285, so he was carrying some serious weight en route to faster forty times than much of this year's underwhelming running back field. Donald is a high-motor prospect with a skill set not too dissimilar from Bengals DT Geno Atkins'. He projects as a fringe first-round pick in May's draft.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
My short list is similar. I have Martin, Moses, Donald, Jace Amaro, Brandon Cooks, Kony Ealy.

JP you think we would go safety it Pryor is still there when it's our turn?

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jammer I really don't think we're going to sign as many free agents as you want us too. We went that route last year. Hard to envision another spending spree like that.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:50 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

JP you think we would go safety it Pryor is still there when it's our turn?

Depends on Clemons, but I don't think so.

It's hard for me to envision a scenario where they don't go offense in the first round, unless it's on the DL.

That said, Tampa invested a ton in its secondary over the past few years. So maybe Hickey likes leaning that way.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:58 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

That's funny... I brought up that Nix kid on Facebook today.

I heard an interview with him on Sirius... kid has a great personality for the NFL.

Seeing a few YouTube highlights, he looks pretty legit. Big dude with a big motor. Wouldn't mind seeing him if all the Offensive Tackles are gone.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

So much depends on what happens in free agency and what the Dolphins address. With that said, this is how my list would look right now.

Zack Martin, OLT, Notre Dame
Louis Nix, DT/NG, Notre Dame
Timmy Jernigan, DT, FSU
Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt
Hasean-Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't even think we'll have a shot at Evans or Clinton-Dix. I think they are 2 of the best 12 players in this draft.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm having a hard time slotting Jernigan. I've heard some say top 14 guy, then others say fringe 1st rounder type.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:38 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Lewan is available, I'd love to see us get him at 19. But I don't think that is going to happen after the athletic display he put on at the Combine. Now I think he's a top ten pick. I'm a little leery of Zach Martin. I just don't see him projecting as a tackle at the next level. I think we can find a quality guard in the 2nd or 3rd round. Personally, I'd love to see a scenario where we trade back to the late 1st round, add a 3rd round pick, and then draft Moses in the late 1st. I think Moses can start right away at right tackle (I'm assuming we'll add a LT in free agency, likely Branden Albert). Then we could draft a quality guard in the 2nd. Personally, I like Gabe Jackson from Mississippi State. I think he'll be able to start right away as well (at either guard spot). After that you'd have two 3rd round picks to look at positions like DT, S, RB, TE, and OL.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Forget about Lewan. He's locked into the top 12 now.
Ideally it would be great for us to trade down 7 or 8 slots and add a 3rd round pick for it.
And get Moses like you said to play right, maybe even left tackle.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:44 am

Makchell wrote:
I'm sure we will pick a player with "potential".

I agree although I wouldnt mind going the "upside" route if potential is not there at 19.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Jammer I really don't think we're going to sign as many free agents as you want us too. We went that route last year. Hard to envision another spending spree like that.

I wouldn't say I want them to, just trying to rationalize how I would handle it if faced with the current predicament.

Last year that used free agency to rebuild a team. I'm hoping they use it this year to fill some short term needs. I don't care if they sign all 1 year deals for the o-line and then let young guys and draft picks compete.

I don't want them to draft need (think Vernon Carey over Vince Wilfork). I want them to have the freedom to take any position at 19.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:23 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'll predict that we're trading down in the hopes of getting a couple extra picks

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:23 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just saw this morning that rumor is Donald Penn from TB is a potential cap casualty. Could be a factor in how Miami addresses things if Hickey likes him.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:29 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Alex13 wrote:
Watch us trade up for Clowney and then give him 10% of the snaps on defense...

ya but just till he balks up and is too slow to get the job done.. then we will start him

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:02 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Zach Martin had a decent workout at the combine and didn't "wow" anyone to jump up the list.

Quote:
Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin did about what I expected at the combine. He’s not going to wow you with measurables and athleticism. His body typed looked more like a guard at the next level. Martin is an effort player with good intangibles such as leadership, and that doesn’t show in workouts. Martin is one of the players projected to be a strong target for Miami.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/categor ... i-dolphins

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Zack martin is unimpressive to me. If Lewan isnt there Id trade down and go with Morgan moses and Billy turner.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:13 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
I'm having a hard time slotting Jernigan. I've heard some say top 14 guy, then others say fringe 1st rounder type.

We will see how it plays out in regards to Clinton-Dix & Evans. As far as Jernigan is concerned, I have had a chance to see Tim play a ton, and for the record, Warren Sapp loves this kid.

Mark, just go back and watch the NC game against Auburn. Jernigan was dominate in that game and he was ill.

Manhatten, Morgan Moses name is one I have seen bought up on more than one occasion. We will see how things go.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports Notre Dame G/T Zack Martin could be an option for the Dolphins at No. 19.
NFL Network draft guru/NBC Notre Dame football announcer Mike Mayock thinks Martin can play "all five (line) positions in the NFL." The Herald's Barry Jackson believes the Dolphins would be looking at Martin as a right tackle, and look to pair him with a free-agent left tackle. Martin — who stands in at 6-foot-4, 308 pounds with 32 7/8-inch arms — is projected as a guard more often than tackle, but Mayock rates him as the draft's No. 4 tackle.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Forget about Lewan. He's locked into the top 12 now.
Ideally it would be great for us to trade down 7 or 8 slots and add a 3rd round pick for it.
And get Moses like you said to play right, maybe even left tackle.

It's pretty well known that Miami is going to go hard for a franchise left tackle in free agency. There is a reason everybody is reporting that we're targeting Monroe and Albert. In my opinion either one of those guys is going to do an excellent job protecting Tannehill. Moses is a big solid tackle that comes from a similar playing background to those two players. I'd love to see Miami sign Albert to a three year deal and draft Moses after trading back in the 1st round. Albert isn't going to get more than a three year deal likely and when his deal is up we could simply slide Moses over to left tackle his final year of his rookie contract. I think it's a nice way to give Tannehill the protection he needs without us sacrificing a draft pick to move up and get a franchise tackle in the draft.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We'd be set with Brandon Albert and Zack Martin.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:16 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

swerve13 wrote:
We'd be set with Brandon Albert and Zack Martin.

I'll take that!!!

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:46 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

This is kind of fun to fool around with.

http://drafttek.com/new%20simulator/

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It'll be funny when they announce the pick and it's NOT o-line help.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:

It'll be even funnier when Philbin says we drafted the guy's entire family and he's neither BPA nor a position of need.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

It doesn't have to be. That's why I included Donald and Nix. And I'd add Jernigen to that mix. Those guys would also fill a huge need with upside potential.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]