View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:57 am



Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins? 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8940
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
I would like for Danny to work within the Dolphins organization, but what would his job be?

Barry Jackson wrote:
Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has interest in Dan Marino becoming involved with the franchise but likely not in a powerful role, such as director of football operations, barring a change of heart. Problem is, Marino wants a meaningful role, according to an associate. There’s a decent chance they compromise and find one.


Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:45 am
Posts: 440
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
I love Dan The Man.... but he had a great Role and walked away from it..... to me a average TV annalist (sorry but ask any non Marino fan what they thought about the job he did)

now that he needs a job he wants John Elway kind of power....

Ok truth is if I was Ross and Marino showed he was committed to the team.. i'd hand him the team.. ... but I'm a Marino fan.. the guy was my Hero.... I named my car after him when i was younger... lol Ross .. not so much it seems..

You 100% want Dan to be part of the team.. but i just don't know that he will be as committed as Elway is to Denver.. (Feeling like I should go wash my mouth out after saying that)

See what the last 10 years + have done to me.... HELP!


Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3823
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
I think it might take a combination of things like getting fired from a job , losing millions from bad investments & having to repair a tarnished reputation for an extra marital affair that became public.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:04 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 572
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
I wouldn't have a problem giving him Gaine's former job, I'd think his preference would be between us and the Pitt Panthers.

_________________
Image
Image


Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 78
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
FINesse wrote:
I think it might take a combination of things like getting fired from a job , losing millions from bad investments & having to repair a tarnished reputation for an extra marital affair that became public.


:)


I don't really see the big deal of having Dan the Man back...I could care less either way?


Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3875
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
He has zero front office experience sans the 3 weeks he had the job here.

Would be crazy to give him a significant role in anything other than QB coach.


Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:33 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 6560
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
I know I'm gonna get flamed, but why do we need Marino? It can't be character since he cheated on his wife. Kind of calling the kettle black. As far as front office, why? What job skills does he have? He's a QB and an announcer.


Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:00 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4581
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
I've said it before when this was brought up... However at this time I think its best to let the 2014 season play out, and do it next Jan. I expect another mediocre year at best, somewhere in the 6-10 - 9-7 range. Heads will roll...

Put Marino in as VP, let him pick the GM or HC however he wants to do it. Let them pick the rest.

It will put the structure back. Also it brings in a new appeal to potential coaches and players. Marino is respected in the NFL, and players will want to play for him...

I would like to see a GM/HC come together, whether its the GM putting a staff together, or hiring a HC and letting him bring in the GM he wants.

I am against Marino as GM tho, unless he is allowing his HC to have final say. I just do not feel he has the qualifications in talent evaluation to do that job.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:14 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
The Dolphins are in a perfect position to offer Marino a senior advisory position. Right now we have no vice president of football operations. We have a head coach, general manager, and executive vice president of football administration that don't have say over one another. Each of them reports directly to Garfinkel (the CEO). If Marino became the VP of Football Operations you'd have a situation where Marino ran the football side, Aponte ran the administrative side, and both reported to Garfinkel. Philbin and Hickey would work together, and when they can't agree Marino is the tie breaker. I don't have a problem with giving Marino an advisory position at all. You just make sure the position is advisory in nature and that he's not biting off more than he can chew.


Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3823
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
Some of us might have a hard reality check that great players do not make great management guys.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:19 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
FINesse wrote:
Some of us might have a hard reality check that great players do not make great management guys.


How many truly great NFL players do you know of that went on to become general managers or vice presidents of football operations?

I can only think of one, John Elway. He's doing a pretty good job in Denver if you ask me.


Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:02 am
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3823
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
wkloiber13 wrote:
FINesse wrote:
Some of us might have a hard reality check that great players do not make great management guys.


How many truly great NFL players do you know of that went on to become general managers or vice presidents of football operations?

I can only think of one, John Elway. He's doing a pretty good job in Denver if you ask me.


Exactly my point & Elway landed Manning. Wonder if he would have gotten that extension if Tebow was still the QB.
What I am saying is why at this point Bring in Marino with zero knowledge into a mess like this. He has become tarnished enough.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:09 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 6560
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
Exactly my point & Elway landed Manning.

:awe:


Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
FINesse wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
FINesse wrote:
Some of us might have a hard reality check that great players do not make great management guys.


How many truly great NFL players do you know of that went on to become general managers or vice presidents of football operations?

I can only think of one, John Elway. He's doing a pretty good job in Denver if you ask me.


Exactly my point & Elway landed Manning. Wonder if he would have gotten that extension if Tebow was still the QB.
What I am saying is why at this point Bring in Marino with zero knowledge into a mess like this. He has become tarnished enough.


Your point is moot because you cannot provide a person who failed. I at least have shown someone who is successful. Perhaps the Dolphins land Manning if Marino is involved in the organization?

In addition, I find it hard to believe that you think Marino has zero knowledge of football talent and zero knowledge of the organization? Seriously? This man has bled Miami Dolphins football since the early 80s, remains involved in organizational events to this day, and you think he has zero knowledge of what kind of mess the team is in? He's watchd football film and analyzed players/teams for a living for several years now and you think he has no talent evaulation skills?

The man is already acting as an advisor for Stephen Ross on this whole bullying scandal. Ross trust him and his opinion on football matters. The man has come out and said, "I'm a Dolphin for life." Who else other than the Broncos has someone on their staff that says stuff like that?


Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3823
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
I say Marino has zero management knowledge because he has never been management. I wouldnt call his 3 week stint as acquiring knowledge or successful. It was a joke.
I dont care if Marino craps Miami Dolphins football. This is a different scenario where you do not succeed because of your name.
Manning wasnt going to sign here because we were a pretender not a contender. Marino could have begged all he wanted if he was in a position to , Manning was not coming here.
The bullying scandal committee is an embarrassment to be on & I would not be proud to add it to any resume. Dungy's interview with Martin pretty much confirmed that as well as the committees response to the Wells report.
Being a player for life for the only team you played for while admirable really does not guarantee into success.
Look ,If Marino gets on board I hope he is successful , god knows he can use it & so can the team.
Once again , Elway got THE franchise QB. But it was more circumstance & situation than Elway that got Manning to Denver.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 6560
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
Your point is moot because you cannot provide a person who failed. I at least have shown someone who is successful

So using that logic, I guess the position has 100% success rate. Sign Marino now!


Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
FINesse wrote:
I say Marino has zero management knowledge because he has never been management. I wouldnt call his 3 week stint as acquiring knowledge or successful. It was a joke.
I dont care if Marino craps Miami Dolphins football. This is a different scenario where you do not succeed because of your name.
Manning wasnt going to sign here because we were a pretender not a contender. Marino could have begged all he wanted if he was in a position to , Manning was not coming here.
The bullying scandal committee is an embarrassment to be on & I would not be proud to add it to any resume. Dungy's interview with Martin pretty much confirmed that as well as the committees response to the Wells report.
Being a player for life for the only team you played for while admirable really does not guarantee into success.
Look ,If Marino gets on board I hope he is successful , god knows he can use it & so can the team.
Once again , Elway got THE franchise QB. But it was more circumstance & situation than Elway that got Manning to Denver.


I live in Denver. John Elway is absolutely the reason Peyton Manning chose Denver. He said it in multiple interviews with the media down here. His logic was that Elway was a quarterback that made a final run and won championships in his late 30s and went out on top. He thought that Elway would build another team like the late 90s Broncos that would help Peyton get back to the Super Bowl. Surprise, it worked.

While I agree that Marino didn't have that card to play. I'm sure Peyton would have at least flown to Miami and interviewed had Marino been the guy in charge. Marino has the type of reputation that would force a guy like Peyton to show up and at least listen to his pitch. You can snub Jeff Ireland, you can't snub "Dan the Man".

That said, if Marino does get hired, I understand that it is mostly a PR move. Ross is bringing him on in a similar role to what he did in 2004. He shows up, takes photos, and follows the GM and Head Coach around at all major events (i.e. senior bowl, combine, draft, free agency). It's great for the fans and the team's image. Right now, the tie breaker for Philbin and Hickey is Garfinkel. Personally, I'd rather the guy who breaks the ties is Dan Marino.


Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:07 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
Makchell wrote:
Your point is moot because you cannot provide a person who failed. I at least have shown someone who is successful

So using that logic, I guess the position has 100% success rate. Sign Marino now!


You bet! LoL

Sign him up!

But seriously. I'm looking at this from the standpoint that it likely cannot hurt the organization. If they hire Marino, it is a positive public relations move that might fire up the fan base. Right now our head coach, general manager, and vp of administration all answer to the ceo. If Marino were in the picture he would become the middle man between the ceo and the gm/head coach. Hickey and Philbin would still retain their respective roles and responsibilities. It's not like Marino would be picking the players or coaching the team. He would simply be there to talk it over when Hickey and Philbin disagree on a player. Personally, like I said before, I trust Marino's word as the tie breaker over Garfinkel.


Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:14 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 6560
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
If they hire Marino, it is a positive public relations move that might fire up the fan base.

I do get that, but would that fire you up to go to more games? Not me, winning is the cure all. Good points though.


Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:22 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:11 pm
Posts: 257
Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
I love Marino, but I don't want him to take a job with the Dolphins.
Because if he make "one" mistake he'll be the one all posts, and the press, will be cutting him down.
I'll support him what ever he does, but I don't want him to be the scape goat when/and if he makes a mistake.

_________________
Image


Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:34 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: MA.
Post Re: What would it take for Dan Marino to work with the Dolphins?
The time isn't right...It would just add to the bad press at this time.

Ozzie Newsome is another that comes to mind but then you have Ditka. 2-1


Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:19 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.